Skip to content

The "Modern Era" of football: 1978?

The Browns Board
49 12 1.2k
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #38

    lol... a peanut butter mind meld...


    I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.

    Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.

  • lol... a peanut butter mind meld...


    I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.

    Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... a peanut butter mind meld...

    I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.

    Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.

    Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... a peanut butter mind meld...

    I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.

    Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.

    Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

    I remember Paul Lowe and Keith Lincoln and Big Cat Ernie Ladd..and a few others from that early Chargers team. And Jack Kemp and Cookie Gilchrist from the Bills. And thinking they were all the shit.

    That is why I still have somewhat of a soft spot for those two teams.

    That, and the fact that neither has won a title since those AFL days.

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... a peanut butter mind meld...

    I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.

    Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.

    Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #41

    lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.

    Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

    Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.

    My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.

    Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.

  • lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.

    Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

    Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.

    My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.

    Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.

    Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.

    Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.

    My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.

    Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.

    And Namath didn't throw a pass in the 4th quarter. They knew how to beat the Colts who embarrassed the BROWNS in the previous game.

  • lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.

    Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

    Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.

    My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.

    Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.

    Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.

    Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.

    My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.

    Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.

    The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8nume

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.

    Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.

    Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.

    My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.

    Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.

    The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8nume

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #44

    @nickers said:

    The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8nume

    Ah... plus the local PBS channel was UHF, too... wasn't it? Channel 25?

    Random brain cell alert: Just flashed back to watching the Akron Goodyears, a men's semi-pro, basketball league on Sundays around noon.

    Thanks for the link. Open reel tape of TV audio... gotta love it. Once upon a time I had audio of a few Ghoulardi shows that I recorded of an Olsen Electronics open reel.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Ah yes, turn blue, the short life of Ghoulardi

  • Ah yes, turn blue, the short life of Ghoulardi

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @mjp28 said:

    Ah yes, turn blue, the short life of Ghoulardi

    ....I just watched it again, priceless small market 1960s TV.

  • @nickers said:

    The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8nume

    Ah... plus the local PBS channel was UHF, too... wasn't it? Channel 25?

    Random brain cell alert: Just flashed back to watching the Akron Goodyears, a men's semi-pro, basketball league on Sundays around noon.

    Thanks for the link. Open reel tape of TV audio... gotta love it. Once upon a time I had audio of a few Ghoulardi shows that I recorded of an Olsen Electronics open reel.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @tour2ma said:

    Ah... plus the local PBS channel was UHF, too... wasn't it? Channel 25?

    Random brain cell alert: Just flashed back to watching the Akron Goodyears, a men's semi-pro, basketball league on Sundays around noon.

    Thanks for the link. Open reel tape of TV audio... gotta love it. Once upon a time I had audio of a few Ghoulardi shows that I recorded of an Olsen Electronics open reel.

    Yup 25 it was.. and I believe there was a 55 for a brief period.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Ah yes, turn blue, the short life of Ghoulardi

    ....I just watched it again, priceless small market 1960s TV.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @mjp28 said:

    ....I just watched it again, priceless small market 1960s TV.

    There's also a book which I was gifted when it was new... good, light read.

    A number of the effects the show used were developed by the local, technical crew.

    61snEimPAFL._SX491_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

    https://www.amazon.com/Ghoulardi-Inside-Cleveland-Wildest-Ride/dp/1886228183

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #49

    Also Big Chuck: My Favorite Stories from 47 Years on Cleveland TV Hardcover October 17, 2008

    by Chuck Schodowski (Author), Tom Feran (Editor) used from $1.99 on Amazon

    https://www.amazon.com/Big-Chuck-Favorite-Stories-Cleveland/dp/1598510525/ref=pd_sim_14_5/136-9867171-7486652?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1598510525&pd_rd_r=E0EE1JK7VK5YJ54W5SCE&pd_rd_w=ebHja&pd_rd_wg=LJcIE&psc=1&refRID=E0EE1JK7VK5YJ54W5SCE

    The Buzzard: Inside the Glory Days of WMMS and Cleveland Rock Radio--A Memoir Paperback August 27, 2008...used from $7.94

    by John Gorman (Author), Tom Feran (Contributor)....I saw that one on PBS.

    https://www.amazon.com/Buzzard-Inside-Cleveland-Radio-Memoir/dp/1598510517/ref=pd_sim_14_3/136-9867171-7486652?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1598510517&pd_rd_r=E0EE1JK7VK5YJ54W5SCE&pd_rd_w=ebHja&pd_rd_wg=LJcIE&psc=1&refRID=E0EE1JK7VK5YJ54W5SCE

    And Ghoulardi used from $5.21 Amazon Prime TM very good condition

    & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00. Details....or free with Prime