Skip to content

QB

The Browns Board
69 23 3.2k
  • @ghoolie said:

    I disagree completely.

    Something that should help us both sleep better at night... that plus the masturbation thing... mental or otherwise...

    Hue's first-year, Browns' QB-carousel was not of his own making. Three starters were hurt forcing his hand. Any earlier history is not on him so your "team trigger" argument is irrelevant.

    By my count Hue has pulled exactly one QB in one discretionary situation. Kess sat for not quite 2 Qtrs and then started the following game. It was a teaching moment. You may disagree on the method employed, but it was not an arbitrary move.

    Also I believe if you look back at Hue's one other HC season in OAK, you'll find it split between two QBs with Palmer taking over for Campbell when he returned to the line up after recovering from an injury and/or Campbell was injured... I forget which it was.

    As for our long-term QB plan... I think I see it clear as day.

    Forget 2016... it was a year of treading water while a new FO and Staff formed and figured out what the hell they had to work with. They took low-cost shots at a once-great vet who had a injury history and at a kid with a back-up floor and solid starter upside. One still could not stay healthy and is gone, while the other is still here exploring his potential.

    On to 2017... turned a 4th round pick into a 2nd and got a once coveted starter as a throw-in, and spent a 2nd, still cheap, on a physically prototypical prospect with as much upside as any QB in the draft with little more uncertainty as any.

    Now... am I a Brock backer? No... don't like his "the guy" prospects, but I do like his odds of returning to his Bronco form which once was in pretty high demand. While the demand for him won't get that high again, it still should yield a nice payoff if he shows well in preseason... and if he shows really well and wins our job and becomes "our guy".... then I could handle that... even if I can't see it happening.

    Kess? Don't see him as "the guy". For me it's still arm strength questions. Good, solid back-up for another couple years on his rookie contract, maybe longer, if he reups for backup money. If in fact his arm has gotten stronger and he surprises to the upside... just another gift I'm happy to receive.

    Am I a Kamp Kizer-er? As much as I was any draft prospect, save Chad "dark-horse" Kelly, once I saw how clean and crisp Kizer's mechanics had gotten after simply working on his "ball security". That one improvement dramatically improved his prospects in my mind. I still do not see him starting Week 1... I don't see him being ready by then. If given a choice, I'm not a fan of "sink or swim" school, but if he comes farther, faster than I see likely and outperforms the alternatives... then sure... start him.

    If that's "pussified", so be it.

    Personally I've now penciled-in Kizer to start following our Bye week where previously I had him starting game 13. So I've doubled the number of games to gauge where his "the guyness" prospects stand.

    And then there's the 2018 draft where I will play QB roulette... how much I spend will be determined by who I like best out of the class plus my rostered choices. However, I also go in knowing that if a QB-needy team (or two) finish in the top selecting spot(s) I have no shot at the pick of the litter, if one prospect separates himself from the field.

    @tour2ma said:

    By my count Hue has pulled exactly one QB in one discretionary situation. Kess sat for not quite 2 Qtrs and then started the following game. It was a teaching moment. You may disagree on the method employed, but it was not an arbitrary move.

    Also I believe if you look back at Hue's one other HC season in OAK, you'll find it split between two QBs with Palmer taking over for Campbell when he returned to the line up after recovering from an injury and/or Campbell was injured... I forget which it was.

    Great point on Kess T. In Oakland, the oddity is that was the browns that went into Oakland with the lead & broke Campbell's collarbone leading to Palmer finishing us off in a come back victory for Oakland. sound familiar? just to add to your opinion. It's about time we keep 1 QB standing & healthy. 14 OL offsides & 5 illegal shifts could simply be cut in half by not having to learn 3 different QB's cadence's at the line..Also give me the QB that has the gonads to change Hue's play call at line without killing a timeout

  • Damn... I'd forgotten it was us that forced his OAK QB change...

  • Browns WR Kenny Britt on DeShone Kizer: 'He's going to be one of the great ones'

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/07/browns_kenny_britt_on_deshone.html

  • Browns WR Kenny Britt on DeShone Kizer: 'He's going to be one of the great ones'

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/07/browns_kenny_britt_on_deshone.html

    @orion said:

    Browns WR Kenny Britt on DeShone Kizer: 'He's going to be one of the great ones'

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/07/browns_kenny_britt_on_deshone.html

    Oh, well, lets just get him sized up now.

    goldjacket.jpg

  • Yeah, maybe Britt says that about ALL the boys....I don't know Britt from a snowbank. But he's been around a while and obviously played with a BUNCH of QB's. It's good to hear that he feels good about Kizer at this early stage.

  • Yeah, maybe Britt says that about ALL the boys....I don't know Britt from a snowbank. But he's been around a while and obviously played with a BUNCH of QB's. It's good to hear that he feels good about Kizer at this early stage.

    @orion said:

    Yeah, maybe Britt says that about ALL the boys....I don't know Britt from a snowbank. But he's been around a while and obviously played with a BUNCH of QB's. It's good to hear that he feels good about Kizer at this early stage.

    How manny good QB's has Britt ever played with?

  • @orion said:

    Yeah, maybe Britt says that about ALL the boys....I don't know Britt from a snowbank. But he's been around a while and obviously played with a BUNCH of QB's. It's good to hear that he feels good about Kizer at this early stage.

    How manny good QB's has Britt ever played with?

    @nickers said:

    How manny good QB's has Britt ever played with?

    Doesn't matter, he slept in a Holiday Inn Express the other night.

  • If you read the article, then you'll see about three different conditional statements led by "if he keeps progressing."

    And if I had kept growing I might have been an NBA Center...

    But all-in-all it's better than Britt saying "He's terrible. He has no shot."

  • I think Osweiler is trade bait, Kessler is too small and won't stay healthy. I predict Kizer is the starter long before the bye week. But it's too soon for a serious discussion considering Hue Jackson hasn't got a clue either.

    I need to see preseason games

    I still remember when Isiah Crowell came out of nowhere in the fourth preseason game his rookie year and he was undrafted.

    Anything can happen!

    GO BROWNS??? 8-8

  • I think Osweiler is trade bait, Kessler is too small and won't stay healthy. I predict Kizer is the starter long before the bye week. But it's too soon for a serious discussion considering Hue Jackson hasn't got a clue either.

    I need to see preseason games

    I still remember when Isiah Crowell came out of nowhere in the fourth preseason game his rookie year and he was undrafted.

    Anything can happen!

    GO BROWNS??? 8-8

    @opal312 said:

    I need to see preseason games

    Stop being sensible. 🙂

    Every year...from May to August...our team is vastly improved. The new guys are great and the old guys are better.

    THEN WE PLAY A PRESEASON GAME. And we all come crashing back down to earth. "We've got some things to clean up."

    THEN we play a regular season game...and it's 'Holy shit. We suck.'

    I think I read that it's been 13 years since we've won on opening day. - It feels longer than that.

    I said at the top of this thread, We'll only go as far as our QB can take us. And that's been pretty much true since our return. (except for the year that Dennis Northcutt dropped an EASY pass to keep us from winning our only playoff game)

  • Kizer should start the most games this year, if not all of them -- Can't really say all of them for a Browns QB, but yeah, if he's healthy he should. I think he will start Wk1 because he has more talent than Kessler, and Osweiler isn't in their plans.

  • @opal312 said:

    I need to see preseason games

    Stop being sensible. 🙂

    Every year...from May to August...our team is vastly improved. The new guys are great and the old guys are better.

    THEN WE PLAY A PRESEASON GAME. And we all come crashing back down to earth. "We've got some things to clean up."

    THEN we play a regular season game...and it's 'Holy shit. We suck.'

    I think I read that it's been 13 years since we've won on opening day. - It feels longer than that.

    I said at the top of this thread, We'll only go as far as our QB can take us. And that's been pretty much true since our return. (except for the year that Dennis Northcutt dropped an EASY pass to keep us from winning our only playoff game)

    What up, Mike...

    I've been more in the Kizer-later Camp, but have moved his 1st start up from Game 13 to Game 9, following the bye. Trying to strike a balance between getting him ready and seeing enough to evaluate him in live action. But if his progress being reported is real and continues, you may end up being right about Week 1.

    Osweiler's a tricky one... have to get him enough reps, good reps, to enhance his trade value without winning over our fan base.

    Going to be an interesting camp.

    @orion said:

    I said at the top of this thread, We'll only go as far as our QB can take us. And that's been pretty much true since our return. (except for the year that Dennis Northcutt dropped an EASY pass to keep us from winning our only playoff game)

    Really not sure when that last applied to us. We've had so many limiting factors since our return and they've not all been addressed going into 2017.

  • Kizer just does NOT excite me in anyway.. bah humbug...

  • Kizer should start the most games this year, if not all of them -- Can't really say all of them for a Browns QB, but yeah, if he's healthy he should. I think he will start Wk1 because he has more talent than Kessler, and Osweiler isn't in their plans.

    @mike-h said:

    Kizer should start the most games this year, if not all of them -- Can't really say all of them for a Browns QB, but yeah, if he's healthy he should. I think he will start Wk1 because he has more talent than Kessler, and Osweiler isn't in their plans.

    I agree with this.

    Zombo

  • From what I saw at training camp, the QB race is a two horse race and Kessler is still stuck in his stall. Brock is ahead of all three, Kizer not too far behind. I could see Kizer passing Brock by the end of preseason. Kessler is still holding the ball too damn long. Brock throws are tight and on a rope with on time delivery. Kizer sails a few but get the majority where they need to be.

  • Thanks for the info TopDawg.

  • I think Osweiler is trade bait, Kessler is too small and won't stay healthy. I predict Kizer is the starter long before the bye week. But it's too soon for a serious discussion considering Hue Jackson hasn't got a clue either.

    I need to see preseason games

    I still remember when Isiah Crowell came out of nowhere in the fourth preseason game his rookie year and he was undrafted.

    Anything can happen!

    GO BROWNS??? 8-8

    @opal312 said:

    I think Osweiler is trade bait, Kessler is too small and won't stay healthy. I predict Kizer is the starter long before the bye week. But it's too soon for a serious discussion considering Hue Jackson hasn't got a clue either.

    I need to see preseason games

    I still remember when Isiah Crowell came out of nowhere in the fourth preseason game his rookie year and he was undrafted.

    Anything can happen!

    GO BROWNS 8-8

    but didn't crow get into some kind of trouble in collage ? as to why he was not drafted

  • From what I saw at training camp, the QB race is a two horse race and Kessler is still stuck in his stall. Brock is ahead of all three, Kizer not too far behind. I could see Kizer passing Brock by the end of preseason. Kessler is still holding the ball too damn long. Brock throws are tight and on a rope with on time delivery. Kizer sails a few but get the majority where they need to be.

    @topdawg31 said:

    From what I saw at training camp, the QB race is a two horse race and Kessler is still stuck in his stall. Brock is ahead of all three, Kizer not too far behind. I could see Kizer passing Brock by the end of preseason. Kessler is still holding the ball too damn long. Brock throws are tight and on a rope with on time delivery. Kizer sails a few but get the majority where they need to be.

    Thanks for the report from the trenches.

    How many practices did you observe? Haven't heard many say Osweiler in the lead

  • sydS syd

    @opal312 said:

    I think Osweiler is trade bait, Kessler is too small and won't stay healthy. I predict Kizer is the starter long before the bye week. But it's too soon for a serious discussion considering Hue Jackson hasn't got a clue either.

    I need to see preseason games

    I still remember when Isiah Crowell came out of nowhere in the fourth preseason game his rookie year and he was undrafted.

    Anything can happen!

    GO BROWNS 8-8

    but didn't crow get into some kind of trouble in collage ? as to why he was not drafted

    @syd said:

    but didn't crow get into some kind of trouble in collage ? as to why he was not drafted

    Yup...

    Started at UGA... failed drug test... then arrested on felony "weapons charges". UGA kicked him. Charges were dropped later. Finished at Alabama State.

  • Kizer should start the most games this year, if not all of them -- Can't really say all of them for a Browns QB, but yeah, if he's healthy he should. I think he will start Wk1 because he has more talent than Kessler, and Osweiler isn't in their plans.

    @mike-h said:

    Kizer should start the most games this year, if not all of them -- Can't really say all of them for a Browns QB, but yeah, if he's healthy he should. I think he will start Wk1 because he has more talent than Kessler, and Osweiler isn't in their plans.

    I go back to what I learned in law school about a portion of the Rule against Perpetuities: I take a Wait and See Approach.