Skip to content

A Complicated Defence

The Browns Board
37 16 1.1k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Gotta like the blindside rusher on that count... and that figures to be Myles.

    Normally I would agree but every smart SEC team at least double teamed, so I would expect an extra blocker there 90+% of the time in the NFL as well. That makes it more likely that someone else gets that first strip/sack.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Normally I would agree but every smart SEC team at least double teamed, so I would expect an extra blocker there 90+% of the time in the NFL as well. That makes it more likely that someone else gets that first strip/sack.

    I'm sure that was true in the SEC. In the NFL, teams hate keeping a TE in to help out their LT because it gives the coverage the relief of 1 less eligible receiver to defend. That's why a stand alone Joe Thomas has made 10 consecutive Pro Bowls. It could also be why 3 different TEs in his career posted up receiving numbers for a Pro Bowl:

    2007 Winslow 82 rec 1106 yds 5 TD

    2013 Cameron 80 rec 917 yds 7 TD

    2015 Barnidge 79 rec 1043 yds 9 TD

    The hope is we drafted a TE that can also do this while we still have a LT playing at an elite level.

    Back to Garrett, I can see Pittsburgh using a lot of screen passes on us in his very first NFL learning experience. Not that we've ever had a pass rush to fear per say; but they burned us bad with some screen passes about 4-5 years ago. It kept our defensive front off balance all day. Gee, there's a surprise...

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Normally I would agree but every smart SEC team at least double teamed, so I would expect an extra blocker there 90+% of the time in the NFL as well. That makes it more likely that someone else gets that first strip/sack.

    I'm sure that was true in the SEC. In the NFL, teams hate keeping a TE in to help out their LT because it gives the coverage the relief of 1 less eligible receiver to defend. That's why a stand alone Joe Thomas has made 10 consecutive Pro Bowls. It could also be why 3 different TEs in his career posted up receiving numbers for a Pro Bowl:

    2007 Winslow 82 rec 1106 yds 5 TD

    2013 Cameron 80 rec 917 yds 7 TD

    2015 Barnidge 79 rec 1043 yds 9 TD

    The hope is we drafted a TE that can also do this while we still have a LT playing at an elite level.

    Back to Garrett, I can see Pittsburgh using a lot of screen passes on us in his very first NFL learning experience. Not that we've ever had a pass rush to fear per say; but they burned us bad with some screen passes about 4-5 years ago. It kept our defensive front off balance all day. Gee, there's a surprise...

    @flugel said:

    I'm sure that was true in the SEC. In the NFL, teams hate keeping a TE in to help out their LT because it gives the coverage the relief of 1 less eligible receiver to defend. That's why a stand alone Joe Thomas has made 10 consecutive Pro Bowls. It could also be why 3 different TEs in his career posted up receiving numbers for a Pro Bowl:

    2007 Winslow 82 rec 1106 yds 5 TD

    2013 Cameron 80 rec 917 yds 7 TD

    2015 Barnidge 79 rec 1043 yds 9 TD

    The hope is we drafted a TE that can also do this while we still have a LT playing at an elite level.

    Back to Garrett, I can see Pittsburgh using a lot of screen passes on us in his very first NFL learning experience. Not that we've ever had a pass rush to fear per say; but they burned us bad with some screen passes about 4-5 years ago. It kept our defensive front off balance all day. Gee, there's a surprise...

    I am hoping....expecting that our pass rush will be vastly improved. Garrett...supposed to be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor; Ogbah...a year experience, a year of improvement. Nassib, Collins at OLB, Hard push up the middle with Shelton and a cast of characters (Ogunjobi/Brantley/Bryant/Meder). And the aggressive approach of Gregg Williams.

    Ben R. on his butt is a beautiful sight.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Gotta like the blindside rusher on that count... and that figures to be Myles.

    Normally I would agree but every smart SEC team at least double teamed, so I would expect an extra blocker there 90+% of the time in the NFL as well. That makes it more likely that someone else gets that first strip/sack.

    Taylor? Odd comparison...

    @texasag1969 said:

    Normally I would agree but every smart SEC team at least double teamed, so I would expect an extra blocker there 90+% of the time in the NFL as well. That makes it more likely that someone else gets that first strip/sack.

    Point taken... also TE as Flugs pointed out or RB chipping. Still, can't do it every time and it's not a part of PAP designs, so I'll stay with MG as my primary...

    ... but I'll add Collins on an inside stunt when Myles drags the LG wide... ๐Ÿ™‚

  • Taylor? Odd comparison...

    @texasag1969 said:

    Normally I would agree but every smart SEC team at least double teamed, so I would expect an extra blocker there 90+% of the time in the NFL as well. That makes it more likely that someone else gets that first strip/sack.

    Point taken... also TE as Flugs pointed out or RB chipping. Still, can't do it every time and it's not a part of PAP designs, so I'll stay with MG as my primary...

    ... but I'll add Collins on an inside stunt when Myles drags the LG wide... ๐Ÿ™‚

    @tour2ma said:

    Taylor? Odd comparison...

    Why? They basically play the same position. Edge Rusher....be it a DE in a 4-3 which is what Garrett will play, or a OLB in a 3-4, which is what Taylor played.

  • Apparently they tried a RB chipping yesterday in practice and he flat ran over RB Terrence Mcgee.

    Pat Chiesa @PatChiesa

    Myles Garrett just bulldozed RB Terrence Magee during 11-on-11. Audible gasps followed by applause from the crowd. #3Browns

    3:25 PM - Aug 7, 2017
    Pat Chiesa@PatChiesa
    Myles Garrett just bulldozed RB Terrence Magee during 11-on-11. Audible gasps followed by applause from the crowd. #3Browns
    ยท Ohio, USA
  • @tour2ma said:

    Taylor? Odd comparison...

    Why? They basically play the same position. Edge Rusher....be it a DE in a 4-3 which is what Garrett will play, or a OLB in a 3-4, which is what Taylor played.

    @the-gipper said:

    @tour2ma said:

    Taylor? Odd comparison...

    Why? They basically play the same position. Edge Rusher....be it a DE in a 4-3 which is what Garrett will play, or a OLB in a 3-4, which is what Taylor played.

    Deja vu...

  • @tour2ma said:

    Gotta like the blindside rusher on that count... and that figures to be Myles.

    Normally I would agree but every smart SEC team at least double teamed, so I would expect an extra blocker there 90+% of the time in the NFL as well. That makes it more likely that someone else gets that first strip/sack.

    @texasag1969 said:

    so I would expect an extra blocker there 90+% of the time in the NFL as well. That makes it more likely that someone else gets that first strip/sack.

    My theme for the season is "Just don't Muck it Up" If we Take away the QB's first read. We just may be able to get there with some sacks. If not Tackle whats in front of you..Tackling since Williams has been around has had a defining silents with media..kinda strange, we shall see thursday

  • @the-gipper said:

    @tour2ma said:

    Taylor? Odd comparison...

    Why? They basically play the same position. Edge Rusher....be it a DE in a 4-3 which is what Garrett will play, or a OLB in a 3-4, which is what Taylor played.

    Deja vu...

    @tour2ma said:

    Deja vu...

    Hopefully....if by that you mean that when see Garrett out there....it will seem like you are watching LT all over again.

  • Nah... we've already had this discussion... and you're still incorrect.

  • D is simple ,,,,,,,just go out there and hurt someone hopfully rapistburger