Huff to debut against Rays
-
By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com
05/16/09 2:08 PM ET
ST. PETERSBURG -- As expected, the Indians are giving Sunday's starting nod to left-hander David Huff.
Huff will be promoted from Triple-A Columbus to make his Major League debut against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field. The Indians have not yet announced a corresponding roster move, which will be made on Sunday morning, but they'll have to clear a 40-man roster spot for Huff.
In seven starts for Columbus, Huff is 5-1 with a 4.35 ERA. He has struck out 32 and walked 16 in 39 1/3 innings.
Huff, 24, was the 39th overall selection in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft. He was in the mix for a rotation spot out of Spring Training but was hampered by biceps tendinitis.
The Indians had an open rotation spot after Jeremy Sowers was optioned back to Columbus on Friday to make room for newly signed reliever Luis Vizcaino.
-
Congrats to him and I hope he does well, but he doesn't seem like the answer. Can't expect more than 5 or 6 innings from him, and his ERA hasn't been too inspiring. It's a shame that we're in full on "throw everything and see what sticks" mode in mid-May. But we'll see, I guess.
-
Glad to be out of Tampa, that was a brutal series to watch. But most of all I am glad that I don't have to hear those homeriffic announcers that they have anymore. They were really bad yesterday.
-
Congrats to him and I hope he does well, but he doesn't seem like the answer. Can't expect more than 5 or 6 innings from him, and his ERA hasn't been too inspiring. It's a shame that we're in full on "throw everything and see what sticks" mode in mid-May. But we'll see, I guess.
Congrats to him and I hope he does well, but he doesn't seem like the answer. Can't expect more than 5 or 6 innings from him, and his ERA hasn't been too inspiring. It's a shame that we're in full on "throw everything and see what sticks" mode in mid-May. But we'll see, I guess.
Its still early but I think this one might have stuck. I've been really impressed with him the last couple starts, he's gotten better every start and made it to the 8th yesterday only giving up 1 run against a pretty good cards team. Hopefully he stays on track and Pavano rebounds from the last outing. Lee, Pavano, Huff, have been pretty solid so far. If Westbrook comes back with good stuff and Carmona gets things figured out in the minors we could have the potential to have one of the best rotations in baseball in the second half. Thats a lot of ifs and whens but im staying optimistic.
-
Agreed. It was a tough time when we called him up, but everyone figured he'd be one of the first to get the call, clearly he had the credentials. I agree that he's starting to look like he could stay around for a good while. Unfortunately he's not much more than another crafty lefty who you hope just keeps you in the game, but he definitely has the talent to be a good 3rd starter for years.
Sowers has looked pretty damn good for the first 4 innings, too. If he can make adjustments to whatever it is he needs to adjust and actually start getting to the 6th and 7th innings, our rotation might actually start having some semblance of stability.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login