Skip to content

Tiamat's 2017 Camp observations and thoughts

The Browns Board
72 17 2.0k
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #36

    Get used to the uncalled holds with Myles. SEC Jr NFL rarely even called the rodeo bulldogs around the neck as he'd blow by. Those O linemen would rather take the chance than they would have their QB blindsided. Refs rarely make that call with him unless someone clearly is holding the back of his jersey without letting go for more than a couple of seconds after he has gotten past. It's not right but that's how it is.

    And I too thought game 3 is the dress rehearsal. But you never know since this crew wants to go into the season on a winning run.

  • I thought game 3 was dress rehearsal?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @wargograw said:

    I thought game 3 was dress rehearsal?

    Errrr 3. Good correction.

  • One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #38

    Thanks for the reporting.

  • @syd said:

    only if fuck face hue will call a running play

    Whatcha drinking tonight Syd?

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Whatcha drinking tonight Syd?

    it was Rum

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #40

    on damn what i meant to say was thanks tiamat63,a nice read

  • sydS syd

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Whatcha drinking tonight Syd?

    it was Rum

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @syd said:

    it was Rum

    Nice

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #42

    I think Meader will be a casualty.

    I didn't like the fact that he had to play LAST year...because our DL was in such need.

    I know that he blocked a kick that helped us get our only win...and for that I'm eternally grateful to him. (I REALLY wanted our guys to get at least ONE freakin' lousy win...and be able to smile at one another after a game).

    I'm sure Meader is a great guy, works his tail off, etc. etc. But I'd like to have better football players.

  • I think Meader will be a casualty.

    I didn't like the fact that he had to play LAST year...because our DL was in such need.

    I know that he blocked a kick that helped us get our only win...and for that I'm eternally grateful to him. (I REALLY wanted our guys to get at least ONE freakin' lousy win...and be able to smile at one another after a game).

    I'm sure Meader is a great guy, works his tail off, etc. etc. But I'd like to have better football players.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @orion said:

    I think Meader will be a casualty.

    I didn't like the fact that he had to play LAST year...because our DL was in such need.

    I know that he blocked a kick that helped us get our only win...and for that I'm eternally grateful to him. (I REALLY wanted our guys to get at least ONE freakin' lousy win...and be able to smile at one another after a game).

    I'm sure Meader is a great guy, works his tail off, etc. etc. But I'd like to have better football players.

    Here is why I think he remains on the team: From Terry Pluto

    Williams said: "A defensive lineman has a fist fight in a phone booth for three hours, then he has to run back-and-forth." He was explaining why he wants to play most of his linemen around 50 percent of the snaps to keep them fresh. He mentioned Myles Garrett playing 80-90 snaps at Texas A&M last season. "You can't play 80 snaps."

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #44

    In the words of Pac - "part 2, still ballin".

    Follow up notes from all the short hand I put down.

    - Garrett OWNED Rod Johnson. Like, it was bad. What I saw was illegal in at least 6 different states.

    - A lot of 21 personnel groupings. Didn't see any of the gun with the double back side pulls like I witnessed with RG3 last year.

    - With that 21 personnel came a lot of 4 wide and bunch sets and as you can imagine, Duke split into the slot role. Surprisingly flex on the LOS quite a bit. He beat Currie on a Texas (angle route for some of you) and Oz never looked his way.

    - Nothing in the way of flanker or TE's screens that I saw. No package plays for Peppers. Entirely possible it's being withheld or not happening at all. Again, carries on offense take their toll.

    - His throwing motion might look better but his ball action fake is still shit. Kizer HAS to sell that stretch better otherwise he's going to get splattered by backside pursuit after the fake.

    - Ricardo not only looks night and day better from last year but he didn't bobble a single catch. Had a great backshoulder adjustment against man thrown by Oz. Then Kess had a bad overthrow on a 12 yard comeback. You could tell Louis was frustrated by that because he stuck his left hand down and yelled where he wanted the ball placed.

    - Hue is still trying to set our QB's up with easy reads quite often. And no, I don't just mean Kizer. Motion to some flood was pretty common.

    - Your 'move' TE looks to be a feature this year. 21 and 31 personnel had Devalve flying all over the place

    - More open/weak side runs than last year. Which is encouraging to see as Crow and Dayes both played the cutbacks well throughout the day.

    - I was surprised how effective Fabiano was at combo blocking. As a center, that's kind of his bread and butter... but he worked off initial contact and got the second level a couple times and did it in a hurry.

    All in all, the defense looks improved. I expect the Oline to be better and thus the running game. So long as coach sticks with his word and remains committed to pounding the rock. I also see signs of an offense and coaching staff trying to find the best ways to get the ball into the hands of the playmaking pass catchers through personnel and formation groupings, but I cannot stress this enough, do not expect the offense to hum with ANY of our QB's unless we find a running game that's like 2011 Niners dominant.

    You see pieces, you see improvement. But you still have another draft and development of young players to go. Of course this includes adding the most important piece on the board - your QB. I'm still convinced a top flight receiver is in order. However QB and secondary really need to addressed in the 2018 offseason unless Kizer progresses that much. There are flashes with him like any sought after rookie, and it was very nice to see him stay behind in practice to throw extra passes making that motion second nature. It doesn't make up for game speed reads, anticipation and timing. He still has a long way to go. If you want to start him week 1, be my guest. I can all but promise you though he won't be leaps and bounds better than Oz or Kess at this time.

  • @topdawg31 said:

    Still wasting too much time having 22 WR's in camp. Our O is going to suffer due to carrying all the extra baggage.

    From what I saw we suffer from a dearth of WR's. Louis might be our best asside from Britt.

    And in case you wondered, Erving was straight bullied all day long.

    Tour - Shon held his own quite well. Still needs to polish his kick step but RT appears to be solidified.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Outstanding note taking...

    @tiamat63 said:

    Tour - Shon held his own quite well. Still needs to polish his kick step but RT appears to be solidified.

    Good to read... Joe will work on the kick with him.

    @tiamat63 said:

    - Garrett OWNED Rod Johnson. Like, it was bad. What I saw was illegal in at least 6 different states.

    - His throwing motion might look better but his ball action fake is still shit. Kizer HAS to sell that stretch better otherwise he's going to get splattered by backside pursuit after the fake.

    - I was surprised how effective Fabiano was at combo blocking. As a center, that's kind of his bread and butter... but he worked off initial contact and got the second level a couple times and did it in a hurry.

    Rod is raw with a little "Cam" in him, but not so much that he cannot overcome it.

    Only Kess has shown much PAP proficiency... and he had it last year.

    Fabs does have some game...

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    Thanks man, appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of people who can't make it.

    Just wondering, do you have any more information on Larry Ogunjobi that you saw? I'm a proud UNC-Charlotte alumni and I'm hoping he excels in Cleveland. It seems like Coley and Brantley might be getting more initial looks though.

  • Thanks man, appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of people who can't make it.

    Just wondering, do you have any more information on Larry Ogunjobi that you saw? I'm a proud UNC-Charlotte alumni and I'm hoping he excels in Cleveland. It seems like Coley and Brantley might be getting more initial looks though.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @jrb12711 said:

    Thanks man, appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of people who can't make it.

    Ditto.

  • Thanks man, appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of people who can't make it.

    Just wondering, do you have any more information on Larry Ogunjobi that you saw? I'm a proud UNC-Charlotte alumni and I'm hoping he excels in Cleveland. It seems like Coley and Brantley might be getting more initial looks though.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @jrb12711 said:

    ... Larry Ogunjobi...

    Kid that seemed to keep making plays late was hybrid-LB, Kenneth Olugbode...

    Announcers everywhere have to hope one or the other gets cut...

  • Thanks man, appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of people who can't make it.

    Just wondering, do you have any more information on Larry Ogunjobi that you saw? I'm a proud UNC-Charlotte alumni and I'm hoping he excels in Cleveland. It seems like Coley and Brantley might be getting more initial looks though.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @jrb12711 said:

    Thanks man, appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of people who can't make it.

    Just wondering, do you have any more information on Larry Ogunjobi that you saw? I'm a proud UNC-Charlotte alumni and I'm hoping he excels in Cleveland. It seems like Coley and Brantley might be getting more initial looks though.

    Sorry I didnt catch this. Larry was in with the third team. I never saw him make much of a splash so nothing great to report.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #50

    so 3 starters out of 36 picks in the last 2 years?

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • so 3 starters out of 36 picks in the last 2 years?

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @miktoxic said:

    so 3 starters out of 36 picks in the last 2 years?

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Show your math? Looks more a minimum of seven to me... three O and three D plus one K... and could go as high as 10.

    • O: S. Coleman, C. Coleman, Louis or Payton with Devalve a possible... so 3 to 4.
    • 😧 Garrett, Ogbah, Kindred with Peppers and Schobert as possibles... so 3 to 5 or 6.
  • @miktoxic said:

    so 3 starters out of 36 picks in the last 2 years?

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Show your math? Looks more a minimum of seven to me... three O and three D plus one K... and could go as high as 10.

    • O: S. Coleman, C. Coleman, Louis or Payton with Devalve a possible... so 3 to 4.
    • 😧 Garrett, Ogbah, Kindred with Peppers and Schobert as possibles... so 3 to 5 or 6.
    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @tour2ma said:

    Show your math? Looks more a minimum of seven to me... three O and three D plus one K... and could go as high as 10.

    • O: S. Coleman, C. Coleman, Louis or Payton with Devalve a possible... so 3 to 4.
    • 😧 Garrett, Ogbah, Kindred with Peppers and Schobert as possibles... so 3 to 5 or 6.

    out of 36?

    what is that like 10%?

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #53

    lol.... like I said... "show your math"

    2017 - 10 picks

    2016 - 14 picks

    Yup... that's 36 alrightie... 😉

  • lol.... like I said... "show your math"

    2017 - 10 picks

    2016 - 14 picks

    Yup... that's 36 alrightie... 😉

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #54

    @tour2ma said:

    lol.... like I said... "show your math"

    2017 - 10 picks

    2016 - 14 picks

    Yup... that's 36 alrightie... 😉

    24.

    3 starters out of 24 equals what?...... a whopping 12.5 %.

    exactly. there's ur math bucko.

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol.... like I said... "show your math"

    2017 - 10 picks

    2016 - 14 picks

    Yup... that's 36 alrightie... 😉

    24.

    3 starters out of 24 equals what?...... a whopping 12.5 %.

    exactly. there's ur math bucko.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #55

    @miktoxic said:

    24.

    3 starters out of 24 equals what?...... a whopping 12.5 %.

    exactly. there's ur math bucko.

    LOL! He just gave you 3 to 4 on O and 3-6 on D, so minimum of 6 and max of 10, so how does that add up to 3 mik? Back to math 101 you go. 😁