Skip to content

***Official Browns Vs. New York Giants Monday Night Football Preseason Game Night Thread***

The Browns Board
150 27 4.4k
  • A few musings.

    Sold on Dayes and Schobert this game.

    Was surprised at the level of intensity and how long the starters played. 

    Did Orchard play? I didn't see him or see his name in the box score.

    Not impressed with Njoku so far. For a guy that can jump so high it doesn't seem like he tries to jump so high.

    ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by

    @ibleedbrown said:

    A few musings.

    Sold on Dayes and Schobert this game.

    Not impressed with Njoku so far. For a guy that can jump so high it doesn't seem like he tries to jump so high.

    I agree ... and that damn Peppers is gonna be a star here, ugh he is making it really hard to hate his UofM roots.

    Njoku looks stiff, maybe it is timidness, but wasn't thrilled with his route running at all.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    I'll never root for these traitorous scum again.

    fuck Nwordtown. 12 guys would be collecting cans today if I was the owner.

  • Jabrill returning punts is our offense. Throwback to Cribbs

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Jabrill returning punts is our offense. Throwback to Cribbs

    Why did they not have him returning kickoffs.  The guy we had doing it was terrible.

  • And Kessler sucks too.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    And Kessler sucks too.

    Though...Kessler did seem to be the most accurate passer.  I believe he completed every throw he attempted. Many were just short dumpoffs, but a few had some distance to them.

  • Nice game by Kessler last night! I was really impressed with the zip he had on those passes. Looks like his arm strength has really improved. I would like to see him start he season with Kizer as backup. I just don't see Osweiler ever amounting to anything more in the league so why waste the time. Both Kizer and Kessler have upside and since our receivers look pretty bad we are going to need a qb who doesn't turn the ball over in order to help the defense and keep us in games. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @browns57 said:

    Nice game by Kessler last night! I was really impressed with the zip he had on those passes. Looks like his arm strength has really improved. I would like to see him start he season with Kizer as backup. I just don't see Osweiler ever amounting to anything more in the league so why waste the time. Both Kizer and Kessler have upside and since our receivers look pretty bad we are going to need a qb who doesn't turn the ball over in order to help the defense and keep us in games. 

    Agree... at a minimum Kess got back in the starter conversation last nite. The last out he threw for the first was a very nice throw. I was sorry to see him not allowed to finish the drive.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    A few musings.

    • Sold on Dayes and Schobert this game.
    • Was surprised at the level of intensity and how long the starters played. 
    • Did Orchard play? I didn't see him or see his name in the box score.
    • Not impressed with Njoku so far. For a guy that can jump so high it doesn't seem like he tries to jump so high.

    I'll see your few and add a few...

    • My QB list is now: Kess - Kizer - Brock
    • Dayes is now my #2 RB. He can do everything Duke does plus break an arm tackle. Put Duke at WR where he can get into space quicker.
    • Nice to see a FB with some skills again.
    • Need to grade them, but after some early blunders seems like the OTs played well... including young Roderick at LT.

    On the D-side:

    • Our DL is very active and disruptive and deep...
    • Schobert looks like a placeholder. Too slow to POA missing early attack angles... ends up stacking and guessing too often. He's a long shot, but our 220# hybrid, Olugbode, played MLB after Schobert's stint and looked good.
    • Our 2ndary, for a bunch of no names, held up pretty well against a pretty good passing attack. Not cause for celebration, but maybe a little optimism...
  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone

    Lots to like and dislike about last night:

    The D looks to be improved from anything we've seen in recent years - Not great, but it will be better all year and that should help keep games as close as possible, especially with our anemic offense. 

    Duke and Garrett both looked over rated to me - based on everything I heard about the both of them in camp, I guess I just expected them to jump off the screen.

    We are in trouble at the QB position - Brock looked slow and lethargic, Kizer looks exactly like a 21yr old should look, Kess looked to be the best option we have, and Hogan will be cut.

    Special Teams looked good.

    Peppers will be our most impactful rookie.

    The defense looked fast.

    Matt Dayes might already be the best RB on the team.

    Haden looks D U N - Done. 

    Overall, we are 2-0 and even though it's only pre-season, winning is winning. 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
  • @ibleedbrown said:

    A few musings.

    Sold on Dayes and Schobert this game.

    Not impressed with Njoku so far. For a guy that can jump so high it doesn't seem like he tries to jump so high.

    I agree ... and that damn Peppers is gonna be a star here, ugh he is making it really hard to hate his UofM roots.

    Njoku looks stiff, maybe it is timidness, but wasn't thrilled with his route running at all.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by

    @atenears said:

    Njoku looks stiff, maybe it is timidness, but wasn't thrilled with his route running at all.

    seemed to play like he was still protecting his back injury? taped/braced could have thrown his timing off? preseason effort? but those weren't Njoku full jump efforts before back injury at camp 

    @texasag1969 said:

    Boy's got some balance!

    his RB coach at NCSU has a great drill to keep your pads square to the tackler. but Dayes takes it a step further with his hips also staying square but his feet can still jump cut without slowing down..Dayes was RB 29 off the board, but the kid imo was a solid #15 RB imo..Eagles went RB-Donnel Pumphrey-5'9" 176lbs. with 8.5" ball catching hands..Matt Dayes is also 5'9" but 205lbs. with 10.5" ball catching Paws..Lets see what some of these scouts see that GM's just seem to ignore  

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by jrb12711

    Here's my random mumblings...

    -Man, the defense may not end being top 10 but there's so much more talent and depth out there. It's so refreshing to see guys do the little things right like make form tackles, line up correctly, etc. There's obviously room for improvement but I'm pleasantly surprised. 

    -Dayes looks like one of those steals of the draft. He looked like a season pro out there, made some excellent cuts.

    -We won. Seriously, I know it doesn't count but let these guys get the feeling of winning is such a nice change of pace. 

    -Brock Osweiler is Brandon Weeden 2.0. This guy beyond sucks, and it shows in his previous and current tape. If they truly don't feel Kizer is ready, Kessler brings more to the table than Osweiler does. Seriously, this guy just doesn't fucking have it. Kessler with a strong run game and some PAP is a much better option than this bum. 

    -I'm not worried about all the penalties on the OL. I'm hopeful this Saturday all the starters can play at least a bit.

    -I have to admit, I'm getting tired of all the gimmick formations. I feel like it never fools the defense and only causes miscues on the offense. Once or twice, fine. But seriously, this 10+ times a game isn't working. Hopefully this is a feeling out process though.

  • Lots to like and dislike about last night:

    The D looks to be improved from anything we've seen in recent years - Not great, but it will be better all year and that should help keep games as close as possible, especially with our anemic offense. 

    Duke and Garrett both looked over rated to me - based on everything I heard about the both of them in camp, I guess I just expected them to jump off the screen.

    We are in trouble at the QB position - Brock looked slow and lethargic, Kizer looks exactly like a 21yr old should look, Kess looked to be the best option we have, and Hogan will be cut.

    Special Teams looked good.

    Peppers will be our most impactful rookie.

    The defense looked fast.

    Matt Dayes might already be the best RB on the team.

    Haden looks D U N - Done. 

    Overall, we are 2-0 and even though it's only pre-season, winning is winning. 

    B browns52 wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    Lots to like and dislike about last night:

    The D looks to be improved from anything we've seen in recent years - Not great, but it will be better all year and that should help keep games as close as possible, especially with our anemic offense.

    Duke and Garrett both looked over rated to me - based on everything I heard about the both of them in camp, I guess I just expected them to jump off the screen.

    We are in trouble at the QB position - Brock looked slow and lethargic, Kizer looks exactly like a 21yr old should look, Kess looked to be the best option we have, and Hogan will be cut.

    Special Teams looked good.

    Peppers will be our most impactful rookie.

    The defense looked fast.

    Matt Dayes might already be the best RB on the team.

    Haden looks D U N - Done.

    Overall, we are 2-0 and even though it's only pre-season, winning is winning.

    the offense better have more sustained drives this yr or the d will do their usual nosedive as the season progresses due to being on the field toooooo long...happens every yr. and with these qb's we have, i don't see many sustained drives...i see it as gruden put it last night, maybe 4-5 wins. which means yet another cellar dweller yr...

  • @d-bone said:

    Lots to like and dislike about last night:

    The D looks to be improved from anything we've seen in recent years - Not great, but it will be better all year and that should help keep games as close as possible, especially with our anemic offense.

    Duke and Garrett both looked over rated to me - based on everything I heard about the both of them in camp, I guess I just expected them to jump off the screen.

    We are in trouble at the QB position - Brock looked slow and lethargic, Kizer looks exactly like a 21yr old should look, Kess looked to be the best option we have, and Hogan will be cut.

    Special Teams looked good.

    Peppers will be our most impactful rookie.

    The defense looked fast.

    Matt Dayes might already be the best RB on the team.

    Haden looks D U N - Done.

    Overall, we are 2-0 and even though it's only pre-season, winning is winning.

    the offense better have more sustained drives this yr or the d will do their usual nosedive as the season progresses due to being on the field toooooo long...happens every yr. and with these qb's we have, i don't see many sustained drives...i see it as gruden put it last night, maybe 4-5 wins. which means yet another cellar dweller yr...

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    @browns52 said:

    i see it as gruden put it last night, maybe 4-5 wins. which means yet another cellar dweller yr...

    Well, coming off a 1 win season (where we also lost all 4 pre-season games) if we win 5 games this year, that would be a damn good turn around..... and one that would set us up for a 7-9 win season in '18. 

    Gotta be realistic here............ 

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by

    how does Garrett look "overrated"? I'm not sure I saw him get stopped in his tracks one time yesterday. He's taking the shortest corner to the QB than of our 2nd and 3rd year pass rushers. And he's not getting moved blown around in the run game. So for "game number 2" of his career....not too fucking shabby. 

  • @orion said:

    And Kessler sucks too.

    Though...Kessler did seem to be the most accurate passer.  I believe he completed every throw he attempted. Many were just short dumpoffs, but a few had some distance to them.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Though...Kessler did seem to be the most accurate passer.  I believe he completed every throw he attempted. Many were just short dumpoffs, but a few had some distance to them.

    Yup.  At the time I posted "And Kessler sucks too", he had fumbled the handoff to the RB giving the ball right back to the Giants.

    He DID go on to complete several passes after that and actually preserved the win by getting first downs and keeping the clock going.

  • @atenears said:

    Njoku looks stiff, maybe it is timidness, but wasn't thrilled with his route running at all.

    seemed to play like he was still protecting his back injury? taped/braced could have thrown his timing off? preseason effort? but those weren't Njoku full jump efforts before back injury at camp 

    @texasag1969 said:

    Boy's got some balance!

    his RB coach at NCSU has a great drill to keep your pads square to the tackler. but Dayes takes it a step further with his hips also staying square but his feet can still jump cut without slowing down..Dayes was RB 29 off the board, but the kid imo was a solid #15 RB imo..Eagles went RB-Donnel Pumphrey-5'9" 176lbs. with 8.5" ball catching hands..Matt Dayes is also 5'9" but 205lbs. with 10.5" ball catching Paws..Lets see what some of these scouts see that GM's just seem to ignore  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gumby73 said:

    seemed to play like he was still protecting his back injury? taped/braced could have thrown his timing off? preseason effort? but those weren't Njoku full jump efforts before back injury at camp 

    his RB coach at NCSU has a great drill to keep your pads square to the tackler. but Dayes takes it a step further with his hips also staying square but his feet can still jump cut without slowing down..Dayes was RB 29 off the board, but the kid imo was a solid #15 RB imo..Eagles went RB-Donnel Pumphrey-5'9" 176lbs. with 8.5" ball catching hands..Matt Dayes is also 5'9" but 205lbs. with 10.5" ball catching Paws..Lets see what some of these scouts see that GM's just seem to ignore  

    Actually, I think he was the #30  RB taken....which I think is why he chose to wear uniform #30....to remind him. Isn't that sorta what Brady did with #12...he was like the #12 QB taken the year he was drafted?  Or something like that.

  • @gumby73 said:

    seemed to play like he was still protecting his back injury? taped/braced could have thrown his timing off? preseason effort? but those weren't Njoku full jump efforts before back injury at camp 

    his RB coach at NCSU has a great drill to keep your pads square to the tackler. but Dayes takes it a step further with his hips also staying square but his feet can still jump cut without slowing down..Dayes was RB 29 off the board, but the kid imo was a solid #15 RB imo..Eagles went RB-Donnel Pumphrey-5'9" 176lbs. with 8.5" ball catching hands..Matt Dayes is also 5'9" but 205lbs. with 10.5" ball catching Paws..Lets see what some of these scouts see that GM's just seem to ignore  

    Actually, I think he was the #30  RB taken....which I think is why he chose to wear uniform #30....to remind him. Isn't that sorta what Brady did with #12...he was like the #12 QB taken the year he was drafted?  Or something like that.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @the-gipper said:

    Actually, I think he was the #30  RB taken....which I think is why he chose to wear uniform #30....to remind him. Isn't that sorta what Brady did with #12...he was like the #12 QB taken the year he was drafted?  Or something like that.

    F Brady😁..Dayes wears #27..Heard on radio Dayes was 29th RB off the board..Well they wrong.. He went 26th..Duke Johnson won't give up #29 but he can have it..Who's wearing #26..give it up..https//www.espn.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/position/rb

  • how does Garrett look "overrated"? I'm not sure I saw him get stopped in his tracks one time yesterday. He's taking the shortest corner to the QB than of our 2nd and 3rd year pass rushers. And he's not getting moved blown around in the run game. So for "game number 2" of his career....not too fucking shabby. 

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    @clevfan4life said:

    how does Garrett look "overrated"? I'm not sure I saw him get stopped in his tracks one time yesterday. He's taking the shortest corner to the QB than of our 2nd and 3rd year pass rushers. And he's not getting moved blown around in the run game. So for "game number 2" of his career....not too fucking shabby. 

    He looks adequate so far, but nowhere near what the Cleveland press reported during camp..... Didn't say bust, just said overrated - so far.

    Time will tell if he is the next Bruce Smith or Courtney Brown. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Actually, I think he was the #30  RB taken....which I think is why he chose to wear uniform #30....to remind him. Isn't that sorta what Brady did with #12...he was like the #12 QB taken the year he was drafted?  Or something like that.

    F Brady😁..Dayes wears #27..Heard on radio Dayes was 29th RB off the board..Well they wrong.. He went 26th..Duke Johnson won't give up #29 but he can have it..Who's wearing #26..give it up..https//www.espn.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/position/rb

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gumby73 said:

    F Brady😁..Dayes wears #27..Heard on radio Dayes was 29th RB off the board..Well they wrong.. He went 26th..Duke Johnson won't give up #29 but he can have it..Who's wearing #26..give it up..https//www.espn.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/position/rb

    Who was wearing #30?

  • @clevfan4life said:

    how does Garrett look "overrated"? I'm not sure I saw him get stopped in his tracks one time yesterday. He's taking the shortest corner to the QB than of our 2nd and 3rd year pass rushers. And he's not getting moved blown around in the run game. So for "game number 2" of his career....not too fucking shabby. 

    He looks adequate so far, but nowhere near what the Cleveland press reported during camp..... Didn't say bust, just said overrated - so far.

    Time will tell if he is the next Bruce Smith or Courtney Brown. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    He looks adequate so far, but nowhere near what the Cleveland press reported during camp..... Didn't say bust, just said overrated - so far.

    Time will tell if he is the next Bruce Smith or Courtney Brown. 

    And  here is someone who agrees with exactly what I said during and after the game. Flowers was holding/bulldogging by the neck every damn play. They didn't call it so he kept right on doing it.

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/giants-ereck-flowers-holds-own-against-myles-garrett-1.14081619

  • @gumby73 said:

    F Brady😁..Dayes wears #27..Heard on radio Dayes was 29th RB off the board..Well they wrong.. He went 26th..Duke Johnson won't give up #29 but he can have it..Who's wearing #26..give it up..https//www.espn.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/position/rb

    Who was wearing #30?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @the-gipper said:

    Who was wearing #30?

    #30 Kindred..#31 is Wilds?.. #26 Marcus Burley..give it up to Dayes..  Brantley, nothing in the books..but kept LB's clean to make tackle & turned many plays the other way..The other LB they like to replace Tank is James Burgess..3 solo tackles lastnite..   

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by