Skip to content

Brock O to Colts?

The Browns Board
29 18 1.4k
  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Not sure l follow this part because why would Houston give is a 2nd to take him off their hands if there wasn't a financial benefit? Otherwise they would just cut him. All the news at the time of the trade made it sound like we were on the hook for 16 mil no matter what.

    Right.  Whether the Browns play him or cut him, it's $16M on the cap regardless.  Brock has no salary guarantees after this season. 

    I believe the Browns can retain up to half of his salary in a trade however.  Not that Osweiler at $8M is particularly appealing to another team... But it's a potential way out of at least half of the damage.  I could be wrong about this number of course.  But it's something similar for sure.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @mr.-make-believe said:

    Right.  Whether the Browns play him or cut him, it's $16M on the cap regardless.  Brock has no salary guarantees after this season. 

    I believe the Browns can retain up to half of his salary in a trade however.  Not that Osweiler at $8M is particularly appealing to another team... But it's a potential way out of at least half of the damage.  I could be wrong about this number of course.  But it's something similar for sure.

    That was my understanding too. Part of his contract is that $16 million is fully guaranteed this year. Regarding a trade, if the Browns are convinced he's stinko (I am) they can eat as much of his salary as necessary to ship him off. He costs them nothing in 2018- unless he's still on the roster. 

    Not sure about a limit as to how much of his salary they can absorb. 

  • Again, if this is done.....the Browns will likely pick up another....probably veteran QB for backup.  I posted a list elsewhere.  But, it is also possible that some others could come available through cuts, no?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #10

    @the-gipper said:

    Again, if this is done.....the Browns will likely pick up another....probably veteran QB for backup.  I posted a list elsewhere.  But, it is also possible that some others could come available through cuts, no?

    Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

  • A Alkid3 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Small bag of hot Cheetos should be fair. Hahaha

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @boo-fagley said:

    The Browns are on the hook for BOs 16 million in 2017 which makes BO trade able.

    Read the fine print in the ESPN article Boo- here's how the Browns unload Brock. They (assuming Osweiler agrees) convert X million of the $16 million to a signing bonus, pay him up front, and the team acquiring him is on the hook for the balance. Heck, the way he's played in the preseason, I'd take a conditional 7th in 2018 as compensation. Considering some backup QBs are getting $9 million or so, there could be interest in Brock if the Browns ate $10 million of his contract, they have plenty of cap room this year to do so.  

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Sashi is GM of the year if they get something else out of him 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Again, if this is done.....the Browns will likely pick up another....probably veteran QB for backup.  I posted a list elsewhere.  But, it is also possible that some others could come available through cuts, no?

    Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @hoorta said:

    Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

    I wouldn't think they bring anyone in either.   It's Kizer and then Concussler, and then Hogan and when/if all 3 go down...it's clipboard Jesus to the rescue.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Again, if this is done.....the Browns will likely pick up another....probably veteran QB for backup.  I posted a list elsewhere.  But, it is also possible that some others could come available through cuts, no?

    Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @hoorta said:

    Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

    So, they would just go with Kessler, Kizer and Hogan?  I don't know about that there.  In fact, if B.O. gets traded...or cut,  do NOT be surprised if in fact CK were to land here (don't want to start the diatribes on that...its just, football wise, a possibility)

  • @hoorta said:

    Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

    So, they would just go with Kessler, Kizer and Hogan?  I don't know about that there.  In fact, if B.O. gets traded...or cut,  do NOT be surprised if in fact CK were to land here (don't want to start the diatribes on that...its just, football wise, a possibility)

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    So, they would just go with Kessler, Kizer and Hogan?  I don't know about that there.  In fact, if B.O. gets traded...or cut,  do NOT be surprised if in fact CK were to land here (don't want to start the diatribes on that...its just, football wise, a possibility)

    I don't think CK has any chance of coming here.  If they were remotely interested, he would've been here already.

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @hoorta said:

    Apparently CK wants starter money- and we're not paying him that to be a backup. 

    You'd think he would lower his expectations as it nears the end of August and he still doesn't have a job.   But that is assuming he actually wants to play football. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Gip I'm not sure the Browns would bring in a vet QB if Brock gets traded. The list of potential replacements is unappealing, to say the least. 

    So, they would just go with Kessler, Kizer and Hogan?  I don't know about that there.  In fact, if B.O. gets traded...or cut,  do NOT be surprised if in fact CK were to land here (don't want to start the diatribes on that...its just, football wise, a possibility)

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #18

    @the-gipper said:

    So, they would just go with Kessler, Kizer and Hogan?  I don't know about that there.  In fact, if B.O. gets traded...or cut,  do NOT be surprised if in fact CK were to land here (don't want to start the diatribes on that...its just, football wise, a possibility)

    Yup, I really think so... Kessler isn't a rookie, neither is Hogan. They both have 2 years in Hue's system.  Remote possibility about CK Gip. Like what can he teach them? How to avoid prepatellar bursitis from kneeling too much?  🙄

    @mark-o said:

    I don't think CK has any chance of coming here.  If they were remotely interested, he would've been here already.

    Apparently CK wants starter money- and we're not paying him that to be a backup. 

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @boo-fagley said:

    Yes, but is 1 Kizer, 2 Kessler and 3 Hogan doable? Id say yes.

    Given low expectations for the Browns, I agree. If push comes to shove, pull a cheap option off the scrap heap. We may end up with a cheap diamond in the rough...we'll see.

    Mike

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @boo-fagley said:

    Also, Houston is in a win now mode and the Browns traded a 2017 4th which was basically a 3rd.

    Nope, it's basically a 4th, Farley.

    Z

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I find it difficult to believe that anyone would want Brock.

    Here we are with basically a guy entering his junior year in college, a mediocre late third round pick, a guy named Hogan and Brock....and we've pretty much announced that Brock cannot beat out the college junior or the mediocre 3rd round pick as our starter.

    I mean, if Brock can't start for US, then who the hell else would give us a bag of barbeque chips for him?  (I wouldn't...but that's just because I cherish barbeque chips)

    -  Personally, I think there's still a chance that he starts game 1 for us.  If Kizer bombs out against the #1 defense(s) and Kessler follows suite, then the Ostrich would probably be the default starter.  

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Brock could be a better QB than Kessler or Kizer. That's not out of the question. But Kizer is close enough and has much more upside. It's not his current skill that puts him over Brock, but instead it's the long term plan.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #23

    @boo-fagley said:

     tsulaofu, nevertheless the Texans are in a win now season.

    Texans make no cents$..They add 10M to their Cap by peddling off Brock to Browns. But let their pro bowl LT Dwayne Brown sit out camp deserving to get paid. Not sure if they have spent a dime in this off-season..they may need a Savage to run around back there to play dodge ball.. 

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    If we trade Brock we are eating a large sum of that salary which is fine. 

    The issue is who in God's name would trade anything of value for this guy? He's got enough film and enough years in the league to know the player he is. The dude is Brandon Weeden 2.0, and at this point he'd be of more value 3rd string for Cleveland than a 7th round pick or w/e low ball we'd get. 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Not sure l follow this part because why would Houston give is a 2nd to take him off their hands if there wasn't a financial benefit? Otherwise they would just cut him. All the news at the time of the trade made it sound like we were on the hook for 16 mil no matter what.

    We took on the contract and got the 2nd round pick to take the contract off the Texans books. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #25

    @mark-o said:

    We took on the contract and got the 2nd round pick to take the contract off the Texans books. 

    Folks may remember that Houston thought it was in the Romo Sweepstakes at the time...

    @boo-fagley said:

    Ok, heres some clarity in regards to Oswieilers contract.

    His signing bonus of 12 million has been fully paid, they are virtually always guaranteed. Under the "signing" column, $3 million is listed and that is spread out equally over 4 years. Its not listed on the spreadsheet which is somewhat confusing, but at the bottom is shows his "dead cap money"  is $9 million. Houston already took the cap hit in 2016 for the first installment of $3 million. The remaining $9 million accelerates onto the 2017 Houston cap.

    Actually the full 12 was paid in 2016... thus the term signing bonus. 😉

    My fav cap site, Over-the-cap, has a section for each player tabulating earnings to date that showed Brock pulling in $21mm in 2016.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Alright, BOs 2017 salary was guaranteed. I didnt know that.

    Your spotrac link showed this by showing his $16mm 2017 "salary" as "dead money".

    I don't think there's a single cap site that gets everything correct and makes it easy to understand, but OTC seems to come closest.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @boo-fagley said:

    Obrien will be fired.

    I'm not sure there will be a safer bet all season...

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Colts apparently not the only possible trade partner for B.O.:   Jets, Ravens, Jags as well:

    http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/24/4-potential-trade-destinations-for-brock-osweiler/

  • Colts apparently not the only possible trade partner for B.O.:   Jets, Ravens, Jags as well:

    http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/24/4-potential-trade-destinations-for-brock-osweiler/

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @the-gipper said:

    Colts apparently not the only possible trade partner for B.O.:   Jets, Ravens, Jags as well:

    http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/24/4-potential-trade-destinations-for-brock-osweiler/

    " Without knowing the potential likelihood of any of these possibilities, if any exists at all, here are four teams that could be in the market for Osweiler. "

    Not so great an article with this phrase in it.