Skip to content

QB for 2017

The Browns Board
83 20 2.3k
  • Stay the course for the next five games.

    Stick with the tried-and-true excuses.

    Dropped passes. Inexperience. Prudential size arm attitude work ethic Etc. Jackson can teach him to read defenses and develop a quick release. Kessler isn't very good Hogan was a fluke. Tell stories of Hall of Fame quarterbacks who had a bad first year. Receivers suck. Etc etc.

    I wanted to Trubissky and I wanted to keep Josh McCown has the mentor. Too late so I need to Hope that whoever decided on Kizer was right. Whether it was the coach or the Bean Counter.

    I will reevaluate my position at game 9. If it's possible I would like to have a shot at Sam Darnold. Do I particularly love him? Not really. But he is the consensus Andrew Luck of this draft. 

    We can't clean house because the shit starts over. I'm not planning on calling for heads to roll for at least another year or two.

    WSS

  • I don't agree with starting Kizer any longer. I'm going with option B. 

    It was said and made a point that Kizer shouldn't be rushed into starting. There is no reason to rush him.

    He's a second round pick that was selected AFTER 3 first rounders.

    He should be a junior right now learning how to correctly throw a football and read a defense, not leading an NFL team.

    There is NO rush for him to start. Kizer has zero to do with whether or not big dick Sashi Brown selects a new QB next year in the Draft. We are always going to draft a QB, every year until we find the guy that can hold the position for a few years.

    Let the 21 year old relax, learn the game and watch how to win at this level. Right now, we are destroying any chance of him "getting it". He's clearly frustrated and shellshocked and getting happy feet. He's staring down predetermined WRs and just trying to get rid of the ball. He's not finding the open guys, and when he does his passes are hard to reel in. It's been said, poor Kizer can't trust his receivers... Ever thought that maybe his receivers don't trust Kizer? Kizer just stands there and launches ball while the WRs are running 30/40 yards downfield and not even getting looked at. 

    If a QB is a sure fire bet in the draft next season it won't matter if Kizer has improved or won 8 games his rookie year. Kizer was an after thought and a project, he is not going to stop the FO from trading whatever they can to land a guy if they think he's the one. 

    What should happen is- 

    Kevin Hogan should be the starting QB- he's our best chance to win. Let Kizer learn and grow up some. Hogan is ready for this opportunity. You keep Kizer on the roster as the #3 QB if you keep 3, the #2 if you keep 2, at least for the next 2 years. 

    Hogan can play this season and if we take a QB #1 overall in a trade or otherwise, Hogan could start next year while the Rookie learns. And then when you promote the new QB you evaluate Hogan and Kizer and determine if Kizer is even ready to contend for the backup job. You make the new guy earn the job. Right now we are doing it backwards.

    @poeticg said:

    What should happen is- 

    Kevin Hogan should be the starting QB- he's our best chance to win. Let Kizer learn and grow up some. Hogan is ready for this opportunity. You keep Kizer on the roster as the #3 QB if you keep 3, the #2 if you keep 2, at least for the next 2 years. 

    Hogan can play this season and if we take a QB #1 overall in a trade or otherwise, Hogan could start next year while the Rookie learns. And then when you promote the new QB you evaluate Hogan and Kizer and determine if Kizer is even ready to contend for the backup job. You make the new guy earn the job. Right now we are doing it backwards.

    Once again, the BACKUP QB is being called upon by fans to play. 

    Kizer's 21. He looks like a QB to me, probably the best prospect we've had since Brady Quinn (yikes). Seriously, play the kid and live with some dumb mistakes,  which he's had a few already. 

    While Hue is pissing me off with some of the play calling, he made the right call on starting Kizer. I expect the kid to grow and lead the Browns to respectability. 

  • Can't win games if the receivers drop 8 fucking passes...

    I hate this losing shit as much as the next bloke,  but this kid is a rook..

    He's not going to be Tom Fucking Brady in the first 3 weeks of the season..

    His game is flawed, no doubt. He holds the ball too long and turns it over. But he does have a cannon for an arm, just needs to learn how to be more accurate.

    It doesn't help when the defense stinks ass the first half and allows 28 points...

  • Hue needs to get an O-Coordinator because his play calling has been shit...

  • Can't win games if the receivers drop 8 fucking passes...

    I hate this losing shit as much as the next bloke,  but this kid is a rook..

    He's not going to be Tom Fucking Brady in the first 3 weeks of the season..

    His game is flawed, no doubt. He holds the ball too long and turns it over. But he does have a cannon for an arm, just needs to learn how to be more accurate.

    It doesn't help when the defense stinks ass the first half and allows 28 points...

    @domcucch1994 said:

    It doesn't help when the defense stinks ass the first half and allows 28 points..

    Glad someone else besides me is calling attention to the poor defensive play that puts the rookie QB in a bad "comeback" position. Hopefully when Collins and Garrett are playing at their best, this having to play from behind will end. And maybe Hue will assign someone else to be the clock manager if he insists on being OC. Right now no one is.

  • @bob806 said:

    Hue is reminding me of Marty back in 1988, when Marty stubbornly refused to get an offensive coordinator. 

    Ya know, that's what I think Hue is.  An OC.  Kinda' like Josh McDaniels, the dope that drafted Tebow in round 1.  Or Crennell.  It happens a lot.  They're best at their coordinator positions.

    -------

    Let's explore the Garoppolo option.  -  How desperate could Sashi become before the trade deadline of Halloween approaches.  Say we've got zero wins in mid October.....and the wrath of Haslam is starting to appear in his eyes. (we KNOW how he is deep down)  Could a move be made by the Harvard Think Tank as a ditch effort to try and save their jobs?  

    @orion said:

    Ya know, that's what I think Hue is.  An OC.  Kinda' like Josh McDaniels, the dope that drafted Tebow in round 1.  Or Crennell.  It happens a lot.  They're best at their coordinator positions.

    -------

    Let's explore the Garoppolo option.  -  How desperate could Sashi become before the trade deadline of Halloween approaches.  Say we've got zero wins in mid October.....and the wrath of Haslam is starting to appear in his eyes. (we KNOW how he is deep down)  Could a move be made by the Harvard Think Tank as a ditch effort to try and save their jobs?  

    And how stupid would Bill Belichick be to throw away the Heir Apparent to Tom Brady at this point in his career?

    WSS

  • @mudfly said:

    Yeah...I get that playing Kizer has to happen to see what he has.....and I get that we aren't winning anything this year, so what the heck...

    But...I absolutely HATE not doing everything you can to win....every game....hate it, hate it, hate it.....its bad for the players and its bad for the fans.....

    Right now I have more problems with how our defense is not playing than I do with a rookie QB who is playing a little better than I actually expected when compared to all the other great QBs who also struggled their first year or so. If the defense could get to playing better, all these complaints would end with a few narrow victories.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Right now I have more problems with how our defense is not playing than I do with a rookie QB who is playing a little better than I actually expected when compared to all the other great QBs who also struggled their first year or so. If the defense could get to playing better, all these complaints would end with a few narrow victories.

    Agree completely.   They have let two very good WRs....A. Brown and T.Y. Hilton beat them practically single handed in both games. Either the coverage schemes on these guys is for shit....or the player guarding him were just getting their asses whipped.....or, likely, both.

    Now, in the second half, they contained Hilton....but, WTF did they do to change things....and why didn't they start out doing those things.?

  • TCPO, when are we going to get your actual takes on Kizer? 

  • So, whaddya wanna do?  Kizer's performances are getting worser and worser.  (english major wanted)

    a)  Stay the course.  Continue with Kizer.  He's a 21 year old rookie.  This was expected (or should've been expected) and is something he has to 'grow' though.

    2)  Bench Kizer and bring in Colonel Hogan to appease our resident Poet.  

    c)  Start Kessler and play more of a ball control type of game.

    4)  Trade for The Ostrich.

    e)  Play the emergency QB, Higgins.

    6)  Ring up Belichick and offer half our team for Garoppolo.

    -----------------------------

    I guess I'm sticking with number 'a'.  Roll with Kizer and evaluate him as the year goes on.

    @orion said:

    a)  Stay the course.  Continue with Kizer.  He's a 21 year old rookie.  This was expected (or should've been expected) and is something he has to 'grow' though.

    First, love the alternating alpha-numeric choice listing... well done.

    Second... "a" is the choice. The die is cast. The course has been plotted.

    Just please, Hue, sit with the lad a spell after each series. This is the 2nd time I've asked... don't make me ask again.

    @poeticg said:

    I don't agree with starting Kizer any longer. I'm going with option B.

    Shocking! 😉

  • Option B. It's on another page so let me guess. Starts with an H, ends in an N and has something to do with Heroes? 😆

  • It's so fucking funny that some of you guys are dismissing Hogan as being able to be the guy since you already know what he can do and you've seen him play what 1 quarter?

    Yet, the same people have seen Kizer play 3 full games, except for time he sat out a quarter cause he had a headache. 

    So you guys have watched Kizer throw what 7 interceptions, overthrow receivers, underthrow receivers, delay of games, getting sacked, missing open guys... pretty much completely sucking, yet, you are going to talk shit on Hogan?

  • @orion said:

    a)  Stay the course.  Continue with Kizer.  He's a 21 year old rookie.  This was expected (or should've been expected) and is something he has to 'grow' though.

    First, love the alternating alpha-numeric choice listing... well done.

    Second... "a" is the choice. The die is cast. The course has been plotted.

    Just please, Hue, sit with the lad a spell after each series. This is the 2nd time I've asked... don't make me ask again.

    @poeticg said:

    I don't agree with starting Kizer any longer. I'm going with option B.

    Shocking! 😉

    @tour2ma said:

    Just please, Hue, sit with the lad a spell after each series. This is the 2nd time I've asked... don't make me ask again.

    You'd think you wouldn't have to ask this of a 'QB Guru'.  So, therefore, he's NOT a QB guru.

    I understand that he's the HC also...and has HC stuff to do during games....but the QB position is about as important as it gets to a team.  Going over stuff just after the stuff happens is the best time to do it.  It's fresh in the mind...along with the emotions.

  • @orion said:

    Ya know, that's what I think Hue is.  An OC.  Kinda' like Josh McDaniels, the dope that drafted Tebow in round 1.  Or Crennell.  It happens a lot.  They're best at their coordinator positions.

    -------

    Let's explore the Garoppolo option.  -  How desperate could Sashi become before the trade deadline of Halloween approaches.  Say we've got zero wins in mid October.....and the wrath of Haslam is starting to appear in his eyes. (we KNOW how he is deep down)  Could a move be made by the Harvard Think Tank as a ditch effort to try and save their jobs?  

    And how stupid would Bill Belichick be to throw away the Heir Apparent to Tom Brady at this point in his career?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    And how stupid would Bill Belichick be to throw away the Heir Apparent to Tom Brady at this point in his career?

    WSS

    With Brissette traded, it's really not a possibility anymore.  It would literally take trading half our team.  And belleyache wouldn't even WANT half our team.  Who would?

  • Hue has saddled his horse, now he's gotta ride it....... The 21yr old was destined to struggle from his 1st snap and he has, but there is nowhere to go but up and now we just need to see how high Kizer's ceiling is and how fast he can get there.  

    @d-bone said:

    Hue has saddled his horse, now he's gotta ride it....... The 21yr old was destined to struggle from his 1st snap and he has, but there is nowhere to go but up and now we just need to see how high Kizer's ceiling is and how fast he can get there.  

    without any play makers well except for duke it's going to be tough to see what he can do 

  • It's so fucking funny that some of you guys are dismissing Hogan as being able to be the guy since you already know what he can do and you've seen him play what 1 quarter?

    Yet, the same people have seen Kizer play 3 full games, except for time he sat out a quarter cause he had a headache. 

    So you guys have watched Kizer throw what 7 interceptions, overthrow receivers, underthrow receivers, delay of games, getting sacked, missing open guys... pretty much completely sucking, yet, you are going to talk shit on Hogan?

    @poeticg said:

    It's so fucking funny that some of you guys are dismissing Hogan as being able to be the guy since you already know what he can do and you've seen him play what 1 quarter?

    Yet, the same people have seen Kizer play 3 full games, except for time he sat out a quarter cause he had a headache. 

    So you guys have watched Kizer throw what 7 interceptions, overthrow receivers, underthrow receivers, delay of games, getting sacked, missing open guys... pretty much completely sucking, yet, you are going to talk shit on Hogan?

    We don't dismiss Hogan, we dismiss you.

  • Which one?

    WSS

  • Which one?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Which one?

    WSS

    TBD

    Some years ago someone, I can't recall who....but an NFL GM...advocated that a team should draft a QB every single year.  The analytics that Depo and Sachi use may say the same thing.  With the draft picks they accumulate, I see no problem with that....as long as they have enough to fill holes at other positions.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000649987/article/quinn-drafting-qb-every-year-good-football-business

  • It's so fucking funny that some of you guys are dismissing Hogan as being able to be the guy since you already know what he can do and you've seen him play what 1 quarter?

    Yet, the same people have seen Kizer play 3 full games, except for time he sat out a quarter cause he had a headache. 

    So you guys have watched Kizer throw what 7 interceptions, overthrow receivers, underthrow receivers, delay of games, getting sacked, missing open guys... pretty much completely sucking, yet, you are going to talk shit on Hogan?

    @poeticg said:

    It's so fucking funny that some of you guys are dismissing Hogan as being able to be the guy since you already know what he can do and you've seen him play what 1 quarter?

    Yet, the same people have seen Kizer play 3 full games, except for time he sat out a quarter cause he had a headache. 

    So you guys have watched Kizer throw what 7 interceptions, overthrow receivers, underthrow receivers, delay of games, getting sacked, missing open guys... pretty much completely sucking, yet, you are going to talk shit on Hogan?

    This is typical Browns mentality PO. Throw the QB under the bus after he has a couple bad games. If Hue thought Hogan gave him a better chance to win games, he'd be starting. You don't think on a realistic level- Hue knows he has to win at least four games this year, or there's a mighty good chance he's going to get fired? The coaches watch everything, break down every play, and see these guys every day in practice. My wild guess is Kizer has at least 3 more chances to prove he sucks (maybe 5 till the bye) before you're going to get your wish- barring injury. 

    FYI- I've already said I wasn't enamored of Kizer at Notre Dame, he's still playing the same way I saw in college, and I actually like what I've seen out of Hogan. I'm not coaching the Browns- and neither are you. Deshone continues to suck- you're going to see Kevin in due time. Unfortunately, it will probably be when the season is beyond salvaging. BTW, that's already the case at 0-3 (looking at 0-4) it's time to start looking at next year's draft prospects. 

  • @poeticg said:

    It's so fucking funny that some of you guys are dismissing Hogan as being able to be the guy since you already know what he can do and you've seen him play what 1 quarter?

    Yet, the same people have seen Kizer play 3 full games, except for time he sat out a quarter cause he had a headache. 

    So you guys have watched Kizer throw what 7 interceptions, overthrow receivers, underthrow receivers, delay of games, getting sacked, missing open guys... pretty much completely sucking, yet, you are going to talk shit on Hogan?

    This is typical Browns mentality PO. Throw the QB under the bus after he has a couple bad games. If Hue thought Hogan gave him a better chance to win games, he'd be starting. You don't think on a realistic level- Hue knows he has to win at least four games this year, or there's a mighty good chance he's going to get fired? The coaches watch everything, break down every play, and see these guys every day in practice. My wild guess is Kizer has at least 3 more chances to prove he sucks (maybe 5 till the bye) before you're going to get your wish- barring injury. 

    FYI- I've already said I wasn't enamored of Kizer at Notre Dame, he's still playing the same way I saw in college, and I actually like what I've seen out of Hogan. I'm not coaching the Browns- and neither are you. Deshone continues to suck- you're going to see Kevin in due time. Unfortunately, it will probably be when the season is beyond salvaging. BTW, that's already the case at 0-3 (looking at 0-4) it's time to start looking at next year's draft prospects. 

    @hoorta said:

    This is typical Browns mentality PO. Throw the QB under the bus after he has a couple bad games. If Hue thought Hogan gave him a better chance to win games, he'd be starting. You don't think on a realistic level- Hue knows he has to win at least four games this year, or there's a mighty good chance he's going to get fired? The coaches watch everything, break down every play, and see these guys every day in practice. My wild guess is Kizer has at least 3 more chances to prove he sucks (maybe 5 till the bye) before you're going to get your wish- barring injury. 

    FYI- I've already said I wasn't enamored of Kizer at Notre Dame, he's still playing the same way I saw in college, and I actually like what I've seen out of Hogan. I'm not coaching the Browns- and neither are you. Deshone continues to suck- you're going to see Kevin in due time. Unfortunately, it will probably be when the season is beyond salvaging. BTW, that's already the case at 0-3 (looking at 0-4) it's time to start looking at next year's draft prospects. 

    Only PoG thinks that putting Hogan in  at this point is any kind of an idea.  He is on one of his man crushes over him.  I mean, he must look at him and like see Kaley Cuocco or something.