Skip to content

This is Why We Suck - Receiving Edition

The Browns Board
22 12 717
  • Good list and drops are drive and scoring killers PLUS can further hang your young or any quarterback out to dry with 2nd and 3rd down and long low percentage situations.  PLUS you kill your defense with 3 and out plus poor field position. 

    And I don't care who your play caller is it's a recipe for failure. 

  • Good morning. That Britt is F'n worthless. I don't know what he makes (a couple of mill I guess), but can you imagine having a job that you are absolutely horrible at but laugh all the way to the bank. What that piss poor excuse for a nfl football player will make this year is more than Gipper will make in his lifetime. It just ain't right.

    @policeman said:

    Good morning. That Britt is F'n worthless. I don't know what he makes (a couple of mill I guess), but can you imagine having a job that you are absolutely horrible at but laugh all the way to the bank. What that piss poor excuse for a nfl football player will make this year is more than Gipper will make in his lifetime. It just ain't right.

    What is he making?   I have no doubt that you are probably right.

  • Britt had a career year while also being in a contract year on the back half of his NFL playing time.      

    Front office saw only numbers and not so much motivation.    This is a guy that has underachieved the bulk of his time in the league.     It is what it is.  

  • Underacrieved? He11 yes got stuck with him once on a FL team until I dropped him like a hot rock.....which also seems to be his receiving style.

  • @hoorta said:

    Big props for taking the time TC. But it begs the question- was Britt a totally different WR 2016? I'm not about to look up his targets\drops stats. You'd sure as hell think our anal-ytics think tak would have looked into that- before they let Pryor walk and had this POS at a "viable" LOL backup plan. 

    If I answer your question, will you stop bringing up how we "let Pryor walk"? Mack, too? I'll give you Schwartz, if you still want him.

    Britt had 5 drops in 111 targets in 2016. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kenny-britt/#/past-year

    @tour2ma said:

    If I answer your question, will you stop bringing up how we "let Pryor walk"? Mack, too? I'll give you Schwartz, if you still want him.

    Britt had 5 drops in 111 targets in 2016. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kenny-britt/#/past-year

    LOL, and he's probably got more drops than that already this year? Got any explanation for that? 

    OK- Pryor walked himself (with a huge assist from Drew Rosenhaus) out of town. I won't bring him up any further, but I do keep an eye on what he's doing with the Redskins.To date:

    Pryor 13r for 186 yards 14.3 average 1TD

    Britt 8r for 121 yards 15.1 average 1 TD (and a bunch of drive killing drops.)   https://twitter.com/AngryBrownsFan/status/914547228961857536

    So we sign Treggs (he of 4.3 burner speed) to a bargain bin contract to replace Pryor. 

  • My knock on Britt isn't me advocating for Pryor either.  I want to make that clear.

  • @tour2ma said:

    If I answer your question, will you stop bringing up how we "let Pryor walk"? Mack, too? I'll give you Schwartz, if you still want him.

    Britt had 5 drops in 111 targets in 2016. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kenny-britt/#/past-year

    LOL, and he's probably got more drops than that already this year? Got any explanation for that? 

    OK- Pryor walked himself (with a huge assist from Drew Rosenhaus) out of town. I won't bring him up any further, but I do keep an eye on what he's doing with the Redskins.To date:

    Pryor 13r for 186 yards 14.3 average 1TD

    Britt 8r for 121 yards 15.1 average 1 TD (and a bunch of drive killing drops.)   https://twitter.com/AngryBrownsFan/status/914547228961857536

    So we sign Treggs (he of 4.3 burner speed) to a bargain bin contract to replace Pryor. 

    @hoorta said:

    LOL, and he's probably got more drops than that already this year? Got any explanation for that? 

    OK- Pryor walked himself (with a huge assist from Drew Rosenhaus) out of town. I won't bring him up any further, but I do keep an eye on what he's doing with the Redskins.

    So we sign Treggs (he of 4.3 burner speed) to a bargain bin contract to replace Pryor. 

    Explanation... not really... but I can guarantee you he did not see fastballs in LA plus he had Gurley... who slumped a little in his sophomore year, if you call 885 yards slump-worthy.

    While LA in 2016 was his career year, it' not as if he'd never had a good year before... he'd just never been a #1 before.

    Where the popular Bowe comparison falls apart is that Britt's career had recently ascended while Bowe was clearly a WR in decline.

    lol... sure keep an eye on Pryor... let me know when he catches a crossing route.

    At 6'0 Treggs ain't replacing Pryor... but he does have the speed to top the top off of a D... if he gets loose.

  • We have drafted numerous WRs and picked em up via FA.  And yet they suck...hmmmmm. The problem is very simple. Talent evaluation sez it all.

  • We have drafted numerous WRs and picked em up via FA.  And yet they suck...hmmmmm. The problem is very simple. Talent evaluation sez it all.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    We have drafted numerous WRs and picked em up via FA.  And yet they suck...hmmmmm. The problem is very simple. Talent evaluation sez it all.

    Who did we replace the scouting staff with (not that they were great)?

  • We have drafted numerous WRs and picked em up via FA.  And yet they suck...hmmmmm. The problem is very simple. Talent evaluation sez it all.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Talent evaluation sez it all.

    Convenient comment, if not accurate...

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Talent evaluation sez it all.

    Convenient comment, if not accurate...

    @tour2ma said:

    Convenient comment, if not accurate...

    Ok, so what is it? Pick bad talent intentional? I just don't think they have very good evaluation at all. I haven't seen a glimmer that sez playmaker out all of them. Draft 4, no playmakers. Or am I missing the Paul Warfield's in the current batch of receivers? All I have seen is suckage on a grand scale.

  • "You know how this goes. These types of throws, while not perfect, need to be caught. That's the difference that having a dependable receiver makes."

    This.  All of this.  I'm not taking anything away from Deshaun Watson, but one of the biggest differences between him and Kizer is Watson has a dependable, all-star receiver.  How many times a game does Watson hike the ball, stare Hopkins down, and deliver the ball to him because he's STILL open.  You know it's coming, but you can't stop it because the guy knows how to get open.  He knows how to win his route, come out of the breaks, and of course...catch the ball.  Even if the ball isn't perfect, a guy like him can often times bring it in.  Kizer doesn't have ANYTHING like this, and it's killing him.  Look at that deep Higgins drop when Kizer felt the pressure, didn't panic in the end zone, stepped up and threw a pretty decent pass that Higgins got both hands on.  Yeah, it was a TOUGH catch, but I see it made all the dang time!  That would've been first down at the 40 or so, and a huge momentum shifter.  

    And that deep bomb to Ricardo?  Cmon man!  I don't think he would've scored per say, but he would've had a chance.  I think the safety would've gotten him if the corner didn't trip him up, but you never know.  Receivers score all of the time on things like that.  Corner misses the ankles, the safety overruns the angle, and the receivers struts into the end zone.  Does it happen FOR US?  No, not since Josh Gordon flaked out 4 years ago. When is the last time we had a deep pass connect for a touchdown in a regular season?  I mean, Jesus.  Whenever we DO get a touchdown it seems like the most difficult thing ever.  We get it to the 12.  We somehow pick up a first down.  We bulldoze our way into the end zone with our QB.  It's always such a dang struggle.  Now, I WAS happy to see the play-action TD to Njoku because it was one of those "easy touchdowns" I've been saying we need.  Every other team gets them.  But ours are always such a dang struggle, and it's tiring.  I'd love to see a long throw, to a receiver who has a step, and then the guy make the catch and run in the end zone.  Is that asking too much?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Convenient comment, if not accurate...

    Ok, so what is it? Pick bad talent intentional? I just don't think they have very good evaluation at all. I haven't seen a glimmer that sez playmaker out all of them. Draft 4, no playmakers. Or am I missing the Paul Warfield's in the current batch of receivers? All I have seen is suckage on a grand scale.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Ok, so what is it? Pick bad talent intentional? I just don't think they have very good evaluation at all. I haven't seen a glimmer that sez playmaker out all of them. Draft 4, no playmakers. Or am I missing the Paul Warfield's in the current batch of receivers? All I have seen is suckage on a grand scale.

    You are focused on the WR to the exclusion of all the non-WR picks.

    There's no doubt our WR picks have not panned out. I'll even supply you some new evidence... evidence even PFF haters will embrace because if supports their WR position.

    John Kosko‏ @PFF_JohnKosko

    The #Browns are catching 74.4% of all catchable passes: Last in the NFL. Arizona is 31st at 80.3% and is closer to 14th team than Cleveland

    I want to point out... again... that besides Coleman, who arguably was developing this year, we basically spent loose change on WRs in 2016... two 4ths and a 5th. Our FO cast a net... they took a shot even though they were not fully set for the Draft. They spent 13 picks on Days 2 and 3 and netted six 2017 starters and a backup... and that's going what appears to be 0 fer 3 on WRs. This FO did not "punt" as our incoming regime did in 2014.

    In 2017 we arguably went 10 fer 10 in the draft including 4 current starters plus what looks to be a very good Kicker and a solid, rotational DT. and Then there's a DT who may still be rising, a promising, injured CB, a RB some of us want to see a lot more of and a raw, but physically gifted OT. That's 10 for 10.

    Didn't take a WR, so collectively there had to be a belief that one or more of the 2016 "busts" would develop. I have no doubt that was a collective judgement of FO and staff, and I am not convinced it was the wrong conclusion based upon their talent alone, but rather it was not considered in light of going with a raw, rookie QB... something few, if any, here saw as "the plan".