Skip to content

Joe tore his tricep....

The Browns Board
105 29 2.7k
  • Honestly had tears in my eyes.  

  • This will probably take a long long time.

    WSS

  • Joe Thomas is the only jersey I'll ever buy, I think - he was getting pain all over during the season - now he can finally

    take a break. Hell of a guy, outstanding LT, Outstanding Cleveland Brown.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Not from me, but I have wanted the Browns to consider drafting Joe's eventual replacement the last two drafts. This injury probably forces the Browns to do so now. I just remember the Browns struggling filling the LT position from '99-06 until Thomas was drafted in '07.

    Yeah that's as important as trying to find that elusive once in a generation "franchise quarterback".

    And as we're all going to find out over the next 9 games it's hard to replace an HOF caliber O-linemen especially at LT. 

    @mjp28 said:

    Yeah that's as important as trying to find that elusive once in a generation "franchise quarterback".

    And as we're all going to find out over the next 9 games it's hard to replace an HOF caliber O-linemen especially at LT. 

    You mean we could lose the rest of the games? Actually how much worse can we be?

    WSS

  • Get well Joe.

    We're about to find out just how valuable 'fatass' Joe Thomas is.

    @orion said:

    Get well Joe.

    We're about to find out just how valuable 'fatass' Joe Thomas is.

    Kessler having to run for his life much of the time.  Of course, part of the problem was that Shmucking Hue kept running play action passes that take time....and without Joe the protection was just not there to allow those plays to develop.  Hue failed to adjust to the situation.....as usual.

  • @wargograw said:

    Can Shon not slide over?

    Looking forward to the “I’ve been saying for years we should have traded JT! Front office - bunch of idiots” posts. 

    Can Bito slide over to LT? I heard some discussion of that possibility in the past.....  

    @hoorta said:

    Can Bito slide over to LT? I heard some discussion of that possibility in the past.....  

    Probably from me... at least I now I've said he was our best option in the past. Now I think that ship has sailed. No longer seeing the movement I saw in Bito the rookie.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Honestly had tears in my eyes.  

    Definitely got a lil misty-eyed myself, plus nauseous...

    The hole this leaves is not only on the field. Locker room leadership is just not the same when you don't cross the sideline suited up...

  • Let's put this into proper perspective.

    There is no doubt about it, Joe Thomas was a star at his position. Clearly his replacement was an open floodgate for the Titans overtime pass rush. That said, I'll make my observations.

    1) Many of you love Hue and the FO. You go on at length about managing assets, building for the future, and other such euphemisms. Yet here we have an example where Thomas's "youthful, building-for-the-future replacement was a total disaster. Now, if all of this building for the future rah-rah-rah stuff was true, and if as you say the FO is the first to finally recognize how important the OL is, AND............... we have the highest paid OL in the NFL..............exactly how the hell is it that this replacement could be so horrible?

    Seriously, that is a lot of contradiction for you guys who were chanting this managing assets mantra.

    2) Regardless of how good Joe Thomas was or is, he did not change the fortunes of the Browns in any real measurable way. Get angry if you want, project how much worse it would be if we didn't have him, however, in terms of wins and losses, in terms of changing the destiny of the Browns, Joe Thomas ranks very, very low when compared to the impact that other #1 draft picks have made.  In all honesty, we lose with him, we lose without him. Is your argument that we lose more respectably with him?

    3) Clearly a LT is important, However, many teams have very decent LTs and don't waste a #1 pick to get them. In fact, the better teams seem to have no issue finding 2 or 3 guys that can play decently at that position. If the Browns rush to the high draft rounds in an effort to replace him, they are nuts. How in the name of God can you have the highest paid OL in the NFL and not have a serviceable back-up LT?

    Is Joe Thomas the greatest LT of the last decade or so? Sure, yeah, I will take a cup of that. Absolutely. However, the big story in his loss seems to be the Browns total lack of vision and preparation for backing up that important position. Have you guys ever read the book "Who Moved My Cheese?" This team is an unbelievable and sad mess. I don't think that there is sufficient wisdom, insight and intelligence to save this organization from having its cheese moved.

    It really is sad about Joe, but more sad that the Browns were and are so unprepared.

  • Ur right ghoolie, about the browns lack of depth at that position. But ur also historically wrong about the importance of that position. This irganization squandered the carreer of one of the best LT's ever. They couldn't find a decent signal caller and offense in general to put behind him. But now our qb problems become even murkier. Now we have to find/groom a young qb who's now gonna get Sock dipped in him from the blindside on every down. 

  • Ur right ghoolie, about the browns lack of depth at that position. But ur also historically wrong about the importance of that position. This irganization squandered the carreer of one of the best LT's ever. They couldn't find a decent signal caller and offense in general to put behind him. But now our qb problems become even murkier. Now we have to find/groom a young qb who's now gonna get Sock dipped in him from the blindside on every down. 

    @clevfan4life said:

    Ur right ghoolie, about the browns lack of depth at that position. But ur also historically wrong about the importance of that position. This irganization squandered the carreer of one of the best LT's ever. They couldn't find a decent signal caller and offense in general to put behind him. But now our qb problems become even murkier. Now we have to find/groom a young qb who's now gonna get Sock dipped in him from the blindside on every down. 

    Whoa buddy,  I NEVER said the OL was not important, and I never minimized the key role of LT. All I ever said was that good OL are not that hard to come by. Certainly they can be had a lot lower than the first round in the draft. Pittsburgh and the Patriots both won SBs with a makeshift OL put together at the last minute. OL get hurt a lot, It is the nature of the beast. Only in Cleveland are OL so hard to find. Why don't other teams spend years fixing their OL? How come other teams can bring guys in and out and still win titles?

    Joe Thomas is a great LT, the best, absolutely. But irreplaceable? No, not at all. The only reason the Browns did not have an acceptable replacement for Joe is because the FO blows, and Hue is a useless HC.

  • Man this sucks

  • what a legend-such a bummer to see it end like this. I'm about 90% positive this will signal the end of his career in Cleveland too, that's often how these things go. Talk about a guy who I hope Haslam understands to bring back into the organization when he hangs them up though. Joe has been the anchor of an otherwise sinking ship and deserves a shot to play with a winner. I'm going to hate to see him go, but if he got one year with the Pats or someone similar I'd be rooting for him all the way.

  • Any official word on what the injury is?

  • what a legend-such a bummer to see it end like this. I'm about 90% positive this will signal the end of his career in Cleveland too, that's often how these things go. Talk about a guy who I hope Haslam understands to bring back into the organization when he hangs them up though. Joe has been the anchor of an otherwise sinking ship and deserves a shot to play with a winner. I'm going to hate to see him go, but if he got one year with the Pats or someone similar I'd be rooting for him all the way.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'm about 90% positive this will signal the end of his career in Cleveland too,

    I'll take some of that bet...

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I'm about 90% positive this will signal the end of his career in Cleveland too,

    I'll take some of that bet...

    @tour2ma said:

    I'll take some of that bet...

    Eh, I could be wrong but the formula of aging vet + major injury =release or otherwise new team is pretty common in the NFL. From Peyton Manning on down it's just how it goes.

    Especially with this FO, I could easily see them trading away JT for a mid-round pick.

  • via rotoworld

    - Browns LT Joe Thomas (torn triceps, injured reserve) will undergo surgery on Tuesday, and be sidelined 6-9 months.

    Speaking Monday, coach Hue Jackson said he was hopeful Thomas would return for 2018. Thomas is due $8.8 million in the final year of his contract. For his part, Thomas wasn't ready to think that far ahead. "Am I done playing?," Thomas asked rhetorically. "I don’t know. I think that’s a decision that’s best talked about in the offseason." Thomas turns 33 in December.
     
     
  • what a legend-such a bummer to see it end like this. I'm about 90% positive this will signal the end of his career in Cleveland too, that's often how these things go. Talk about a guy who I hope Haslam understands to bring back into the organization when he hangs them up though. Joe has been the anchor of an otherwise sinking ship and deserves a shot to play with a winner. I'm going to hate to see him go, but if he got one year with the Pats or someone similar I'd be rooting for him all the way.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I hope Haslam understands to bring(JT) back into the organization (in any capacity) when he hangs them up.  

    FIFY^^^OL coach Bob Wylie has not fixed a thing but lighten up Jimmy's wallet..imo, JT should get the CTE testing done while he's down. My thought always was JT only wanted to honor his contract than hang them up after his 2018 season..maybe father time just took that away him? Joe's a huge family guy. Am just not seeing Joe disrupting his family with a relocation..(just not yet) Giving him more of a reason to stay should be all The Lands hopes..  Thanks for the update Stillmotion..If we all know Joe.. if he's walking, he's wanting to load that Team plane to London..Go get'em JT & Good Luck..#10,363snaps@73   

  • Jt should immediately transition to o line coach. Failure to get that done would be a huge black mark on this FO in my estimation.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I hope Haslam understands to bring(JT) back into the organization (in any capacity) when he hangs them up.  

    FIFY^^^OL coach Bob Wylie has not fixed a thing but lighten up Jimmy's wallet..imo, JT should get the CTE testing done while he's down. My thought always was JT only wanted to honor his contract than hang them up after his 2018 season..maybe father time just took that away him? Joe's a huge family guy. Am just not seeing Joe disrupting his family with a relocation..(just not yet) Giving him more of a reason to stay should be all The Lands hopes..  Thanks for the update Stillmotion..If we all know Joe.. if he's walking, he's wanting to load that Team plane to London..Go get'em JT & Good Luck..#10,363snaps@73   

    @gumby73 said:

    FIFY^^^OL coach Bob Wylie has not fixed a thing but lighten up Jimmy's wallet..imo, JT should get the CTE testing done while he's down. My thought always was JT only wanted to honor his contract than hang them up after his 2018 season..maybe father time just took that away him? Joe's a huge family guy. Am just not seeing Joe disrupting his family with a relocation..(just not yet) Giving him more of a reason to stay should be all The Lands hopes..  Thanks for the update Stillmotion..If we all know Joe.. if he's walking, he's wanting to load that Team plane to London..Go get'em JT & Good Luck..   

    To clarify a bit, honestly what I think would be awesome is to have him as a local sideline reporter and post presser type of guy. His personality is literally perfect for it and you know guys would open up to him in every sense of the word.

  • At least JT still has his sense of humor. . .

    The Geneva convention on torture (confinement, stress positions) was just violated when they wedged me into that MRI tube for 2 hrs. Yikes!

  • He followed that tweet with this one. . .

    MRI reveals torn tricep tendon. Surgery soon. Tough break.