Skip to content

"Read a lot into it. Quinn on track to be the starter"

The Browns Board
101 23 6.1k
  • G Greythan wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Zombo, good post.

    However, I disagree on the "he moves well for a big guy" thing. He moves like shit. His footwork when he's under pressure is a real liability. He simply can't avoid the rush at the level of most NFL QB's and when his feet get "happy" his ability to improvise is severly limited. He does not move anywhere near as well as Brady/Rot-less-burger. Hell, he doesn't move as well inside the pocket as Manning (who is damn well immobile). He might have been all state in basketball, but it was probably wasn't because he was slashing to the rim.

    He's a good golfer which fits the small motor movement stuff needed by most QB's.

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @inspecta said:

    Just wait till Quinn beats the snot out of DA in training camp and he goes ballistic on the boards pulling the "lerner is calling the shots" card. It's really going to be a hoot....

    Seeing as how it's a fact that Lerner made the QB switch last season (reported by Trent Dilfer, acknowledged by Fraley-Braylon-Jamal, confirmed by Anderson), it's certainly reasonable to look out for it in the future.

    On the other hand, you and the rest of BQ Nation are stuck having to try to promote an idea that was rejected by the doctors, the coaches, and Quinn himself: that the boo boo on his finger was the sole reason he couldn't complete more than one third of his passes vs Buffalo and Houston.

  • Honestly, a good amount of the perceived ill will towards DA on this board is the direct result of the entity, human or otherwise, known as "Lumbergh".

    I'm as guilty as the next guy of letting Lum's insanity affect my perception of DA.

    So, to offset the Lum Bias effect, I just go back to this simple statement:

    DA had his chance and failed, for reasons well documented. And now BQ deserves his shot.

    It's that simple right now.

    But I agree with Zombo, daddbull and shep that DA is still a valuable commodity and by all accounts a decent guy. I

    (I've been making the commodity argument since DA's first big game. I was one of the few that was all for trading him as early as the mid-point of '07 simply on the cost-benefit analysis.)

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @damajuki said:

    I'm as guilty as the next guy of letting Lum's insanity affect my perception of DA.

    that's because you are psychologically weak.

    you're not alone. BQ Nation is full of sheep like you.

  • L lemosley01 wrote on last edited by lemosley01
    #39

    Zombo said:

    Shep you are right that Quinn is a workaholic and a fitness freak, and more mobile. However, I don't know why you consider him smarter and a better athlete. If he was a better athlete wouldn't he have the better arm? Wasn't Anderson a basketball star? He moves good for a big guy and has a rocket arm ... that's a good athlete.

    And Quinn moves better, and has better accuracy, as well as plenty of arm. Hence 'better athlete'.

    As for the "smarter" thing, it's obvious that it's obvious to you ... but based on what? A wunderlic score? Anderson has never struck me as dumb and Quinn has never struck me as Einstein. They're both smart enough ... stick to your gym rat theory, that is what Quinn has going for him ... and better (let's hope) accuracy.

    Based on the fact that Quinn seems to have been able to pick up the two minute drill on 2-3 days worth of practice, while Anderson STILL can't run the damn thing without help from the sidelines.

    Who was wearing a wristband his second season of starting?

    Yeah. That Derek.

    Again ... not buying it. Big arms will never be passe in the NFL . They just need to come with accuracy as well. That is what Anderson is missing. Brees is the exception, not the rule. Brady, P. Manning and Big Gay Ben all have very strong arms ... and six super bowls. Big arms and big bodies are still valued .. you just need to be accurate too.

    Neither Tom Brady NOR Peyton Manning have huge, Anderson-type arms. Favre has a big arm. No one says 'OMG, look at how far Tom Brady/Peyton Manning can chuck the ball' nor 'that got there on a rope', because they aren't that impressive. Ben's arm isn't what gets him the attention - it's that he strong/big enough to drag tacklers and throw the ball.

    Derek doesn't have Ben's size - he's a tall guy, who is easy to tackle, and gets a heck of a lot of passes knocked down for being so tall.

    Big bodies might be valued, but only if they are the right 'type'. Same with strong arms. Too bad for Derek he has neither of the valuable ones.

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Zombo said:

    All he needs to do, is what we all suspect he can: be a better passer than Anderson, maintain it for a year or so ... and the job is all his.

    Zombo

    I also think it's that simple.

    But this has also been the root of the golden boy's problems.

    and as Chris Mortenson says, "Derek Anderson can throw the friggen football"

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @inspecta said:

    Trent Dilfer is your ace in the hole for this theory?

    No, Derek Anderson is.

    And no, it's not a theory.

  • Zombo, good post.

    However, I disagree on the "he moves well for a big guy" thing. He moves like shit. His footwork when he's under pressure is a real liability. He simply can't avoid the rush at the level of most NFL QB's and when his feet get "happy" his ability to improvise is severly limited. He does not move anywhere near as well as Brady/Rot-less-burger. Hell, he doesn't move as well inside the pocket as Manning (who is damn well immobile). He might have been all state in basketball, but it was probably wasn't because he was slashing to the rim.

    He's a good golfer which fits the small motor movement stuff needed by most QB's.

    DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @greythan said:

    Zombo, good post.

    However, I disagree on the "he moves well for a big guy" thing. He moves like shit. His footwork when he's under pressure is a real liability. He simply can't avoid the rush at the level of most NFL QB's and when his feet get "happy" his ability to improvise is severly limited. He does not move anywhere near as well as Brady/Rot-less-burger. Hell, he doesn't move as well inside the pocket as Manning (who is damn well immobile). He might have been all state in basketball, but it was probably wasn't because he was slashing to the rim.

    He's a good golfer which fits the small motor movement stuff needed by most QB's.

    Since you opened up the whole movement thing.... The average NFL QB gets sacked about 5% of the time measured sacks vs. attempts. DA in his entire career has been sacked about 3.7% of the time. DA replaced a guy who has been sacked 12.5% of the time, even though at least one poster here went on for a year beyond the point DA replaced him going on about how mobile that QB was. Now Quinn is sitting pretty at less than 2% but he hasn't really played that much.. if it pans out he could be great.... but DA's record isn't bad, especially for a "big guy".

    Here's an interesting link.... http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/361718

    Aloha,

    Steve

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by Lumbergh
    #43

    Zombo said:

    110 metres Hurdles, Quinn

    FYI besides being high school POY in football and basketball, Anderson was also all state in track. His top event was the 110 HH where he placed top 4. Quinn would have no chance.

  • DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Zombo said:

    How did this "popular opinion" that Quinn is smarter come about? I've never seen anyone (that matters) allude to any difference in intelligence between the two QBs. His college coach said he picked up the playbook quick? Ok ... did we hear from Derek's? I know Quinn studies alot, but that doesn't make him smarter. He may be. I don't know. How do you know? He is Irish so maybe he is brilliant...

    Again with the wunderlic ... the list of great QBs that scored lower than Anderson is as long as your arm.

    Athletic? One can run faster, the other can throw longer. Too bad one of them is not black, then we would know for sure who the better athlete is.

    But if we held a decathalon here would be my bets:

    100 metres, Quinn

    Long Jump, Anderson

    Shot, Anderson

    High Jump, Quinn

    400 metres, Quinn

    110 metres Hurdles, Quinn

    Discus, Anderson

    Pole Vault, Anderson

    Javelin, Anderson

    1500 metres, Quinn

    And for some reason you (Leinart Lover) are offended that I (Quinn's original pimp) won't go further and say he's smarter and has a better personality. I don't know who's smarter, I think they're both smart enough for the job. I don't know whose personality is better, I think they can both lead just fine. All I'm saying is that Quinn is probably the better passer, and that should win him the job.

    It's OK to like them both. Isn't it?

    Zombo

    I'll give the edge to Quinn on the track comparison, he might pick up a couple, but Anderson may surprise people on the hurdles... he ran it in highschool and apparently did quite well.

    The whole Leinart love thing with Shep amazes me.. Leinart is DA, They're quite comparable, only Leinart has a history of playing with better teams, yet being less successful at the NFL level.

  • ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Zombo you're really starting to make me wonder if you're lum.

  • Zombo said:

    All he needs to do, is what we all suspect he can: be a better passer than Anderson, maintain it for a year or so ... and the job is all his.

    Zombo

    I also think it's that simple.

    But this has also been the root of the golden boy's problems.

    and as Chris Mortenson says, "Derek Anderson can throw the friggen football"

    D DeadWombat wrote on last edited by DeadWombat
    #46

    @lumbergh said:

    I also think it's that simple.

    But this has also been the root of the golden boy's problems.

    and as Chris Mortenson says, "Derek Anderson can throw the friggen football"

    I too can "throw the friggen football"

    It doesnt mean I can hit a running reciever 20 yards out on the fly while I'm about sacked from the weak side.

    Derek. Has. Inconsistency. And not the type that can be cured with a laxative. I love the guy, he's very personable and capable of great throws but the guy doesnt seem to be able to repeat his successes.

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @jadbf said:

    Zombo write way too intelligently to lower himself

    good one Tonto.

  • @lumbergh said:

    I also think it's that simple.

    But this has also been the root of the golden boy's problems.

    and as Chris Mortenson says, "Derek Anderson can throw the friggen football"

    I too can "throw the friggen football"

    It doesnt mean I can hit a running reciever 20 yards out on the fly while I'm about sacked from the weak side.

    Derek. Has. Inconsistency. And not the type that can be cured with a laxative. I love the guy, he's very personable and capable of great throws but the guy doesnt seem to be able to repeat his successes.

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @deadwombat said:

    I too can "throw the friggen football"

    It doesnt mean I can hit a running reciever on the fly while I'm about sacked from the weak side.

    that's right, it doesn't mean you can do that.

    But Chris Mortensen didn't say it about you.

  • @deadwombat said:

    I too can "throw the friggen football"

    It doesnt mean I can hit a running reciever on the fly while I'm about sacked from the weak side.

    that's right, it doesn't mean you can do that.

    But Chris Mortensen didn't say it about you.

    D DeadWombat wrote on last edited by DeadWombat
    #49

    @lumbergh said:

    that's right, it doesn't mean you can do that.

    But Chris Mortensen didn't say it about you.

    I dont think he said that about DA either, just that he can throw.... at least, thats what I think he said. I cant really find your source anywhere, lummy.

    ...

    Wait, this Chris Mortensen is the one you're talking about?

    Chris Mortensen: One Of The Worst Reporters In Sports

    Oh, of course its just some uninformed nobody trashing a "well respected" NFL analyst, don't mind the fact that his points have merit to them. 😉

    How come I don't see the majority of NFL reporters touting Anderson also? Last time I checked, NFL Total Access were set on Quinn, saying that Anderson should have been gone long ago.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-tota...QB-competitions

  • DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @shepwrite said:

    TD/INT ratio translates to wins -- the top four are Young, Brady, McNabb, and Manning. Anderson throws too many picks and completes too few of his passes to win consistently in today's NFL.

    Shep, you are looking at an overall career when you name these 4. DA's thrown the ball 927 times, for a 1.22 TD/Int Ratio. After 1100 attempts Peyton Manning's TD/Int ratio was nearly identical to DA's current ratio. Steve Young's was just a tad better after 1100 attempts. McNabb's was pretty good at 1.68 after nearly 1300 attempts, and Tom Brady's was the best of the bunch at a thousand throws, with a 1.76 TD/Int ratio... but still worse than the 2/1 I see thrown out as a minimum acceptable TD/Int ratio.

    Then let's look at some heroes here... Kosar's was probably better than all of them, Sipe's was all of .83.... way worse than DA. So what does it all mean? Basically, you can't compare the first couple years of a QB's play directly to a career of stats that have improved over time.

    I won't even bother to check up on some of the Hall of Famers and soon to be Hall of Famers TD/Int ratios in their early career, but I suspect I'd find a surprising (to you anyways) lack of 2/1 TD/Int ratios in the mix.

  • DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by Drunkandstoopid
    #51

    @shepwrite said:

    That's not really the point, D&S. It's that today's NFL passing games are far more efficient than in the past, and three of the four best in history are playing right now. Back in the day, you could get away with 1.22/1, but that's not good enough anymore.

    The goal is now 2/1 and a 63% completion or higher. Guys like Rivers, Rodgers, and Ryan will be doing that with regularity. Cutler, too.

    You are now backing up poorly thought out argument, by stating a fallacy... Indeed, Rodgers has a 2/1 TD/Int Ratio... in 1 year of starts. Cultler's last year was a 1.38, career 1.45, lower than DA's '07 numbers... only year he got close was the year he threw 9 TS to 5 Ints. Ryan has a career TD/Int total of 16/11, hardly a 2/1 ratio, and lower than DA's '07 results. While you were whining about DA's TD/Int ratio in 2007 - Rivers' was WORSE.. he certainly hasn't been doing it with regularity unless 2 of the 5 years he's played counts as "regularity".

  • ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @shepwrite said:

    Wait... you're disputing that NFL passing offenses have become imminently more efficient, with completion percentages and TD/INT ratios much higher now than ever before? And that three of the four top ratio guys are in their primes right now? That with almost every offense connected to the WCO in some way, and every defense connected to Tampa 2 in some way, the day of the mad bombers is long gone?

    And I'm the one with a poorly thought out argument? Pot, this is kettle. You're black.

    Wow. Delusion, thy name is drunkandstoopid.

    I Lol'd at this....

  • DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by Drunkandstoopid
    #53

    @shepwrite said:

    Wait... you're disputing that NFL passing offenses have become imminently more efficient, with completion percentages and TD/INT ratios much higher now than ever before? And that three of the four top ratio guys are in their primes right now? That with almost every offense connected to the WCO in some way, and every defense connected to Tampa 2 in some way, the day of the mad bombers is long gone?

    And I'm the one with a poorly thought out argument? Pot, this is kettle. You're black.

    Wow. Delusion, thy name is drunkandstoopid.

    You are the one acting like all QBs are finished products in their first two seasons of starts. That's not the case with the 4 guys you first named, and they were your examples of "the best".

    Then you followed it up with guys, who with the exception of Rodgers, have seasons with lower TD/Int ratios than DA did in his one full season predominate their statistical resumes so far, and thus far haven't reached the level of play you claim you expect to see out of DA. If they are finished products right now, then Rodgers has a huge edge on DA as a QB, but the other guys don't.

    Now you suddenly are changing the argument to West Coast offense vs. the deep offense.... make up your mind. You give out examples of guys who supposedly have a 2/1 TD/Int ratio year after year, then when it's shown that those guys didn't initially have that, and the other guys you've named have yet to achieve that consistently if at all, you resort to changing the argument.

    I'm thinking all of these guys have the potential to achieve a 2/1 ratio on a consistent basis, even DA. Heck, Quinn's got a good shot at it if he lives up to the hype and the line play is better than it has been the last couple of years.

    I used to think you were a thoughtful reasonable poster, but after watching you change your position and make new claims every time the wind blows (remember, it wasn't me, nor Lums, who gave you the nickname "flag" last year), I'm not so sure.

    Later,

    Steve

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @shepwrite said:

    That's today's NFL passing game... and Anderson doesn't fit it.

    Ironically Anderson has better stats in every single category that shep pimps in this twisted Quinn crusade.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #55

    This is actually a damn good thread on both sides.

    Queen Queer or Derek Bear Diva it's all good.