Skip to content

"Read a lot into it. Quinn on track to be the starter"

The Browns Board
101 23 6.1k
  • G Greythan wrote on last edited by
    #69

    I took a quick count of DA's throws in his first start and came up with only one throw ESPN categorizes as "long". I found one they called "deep" that was a 16 yard completion. Every other pass (including his long TD to BE) was a short pass dependent on YAC.

    Yup, DA was a dink and dunker too. Only, he coughed up 7 interceptions in his first 3 starts. Ouch.

    Don't you get tired?

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #70

    The New England offense actually has gotten more vertical in recent years and has incorporated a ton of spread looks. If you've got a good TE or slot guy who can wreak havoc over the middle, defenses can't simply take away the deep ball by playing Cover 2.

    It's funny: just a year ago, a bunch of people here were talking about how you have to go vertical, which is why Savage was so smart to bring in Stallworth. Now, we're saying that defenses can easily take away the vertical game, so it's not all that valuable. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between.

  • Quinn isn't unknown. And he had "his shot".

    You just don't want to believe he was the spitting image of Charlie Frye.

    I'll bite, Fraud.

    What's this?

    CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    21   37 276 56.8 7.46 45  1  1  0.0  78.2
    23   32 223 71.9 6.97 36  2  2  5.0  85.8
    10   27 123 37.0 4.56 25  0  4  2.0  12.3

    Its the results of DA' first three "starts". 3 TD's and 7 INT's. I guess his experiment was over then too. I especially liked the 0/4 effort against the then, 3 win Tampa team at home.

    3 games isn't a "shot" or your boy wouldn't have made the team the following year based on your "logic".

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @greythan said:

    3 games isn't a "shot" or your boy wouldn't have made the team the following year based on your "logic".

    "logic", unlike BQ Nation, doesn't omit the fact that DA beat Kansas City in overtime.

  • @greythan said:

    3 games isn't a "shot" or your boy wouldn't have made the team the following year based on your "logic".

    "logic", unlike BQ Nation, doesn't omit the fact that DA beat Kansas City in overtime.

    ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @lumbergh said:

    "logic", unlike BQ Nation, doesn't omit the fact that DA beat Kansas City in overtime.

    thats relevant.

  • P pl4tinum wrote on last edited by
    #73

    The only thing DA beats consistently is his meat, and that's how it's going to stay

  • G Greythan wrote on last edited by
    #74

    Only someone as attention starved as your sad soul would cherry pick a relief appearance. So, following your logic, look what a horrid Tampa team was ablel to do after getting a couple weeks of film on DA.

    By the way, ALL of DA's completions against KC were short passes according to ESPN's archives.

    So, again, what say you of DA's early dink and dunk tendancies?

    I've never seen such a masochist. You really should seek some help.

  • Only someone as attention starved as your sad soul would cherry pick a relief appearance. So, following your logic, look what a horrid Tampa team was ablel to do after getting a couple weeks of film on DA.

    By the way, ALL of DA's completions against KC were short passes according to ESPN's archives.

    So, again, what say you of DA's early dink and dunk tendancies?

    I've never seen such a masochist. You really should seek some help.

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @greythan said:

    Only someone as attention starved as your sad soul would cherry pick a relief appearance.

    wow you really want to throw that one out don't you?

    it makes sense for you though since it blows the shit out of anything BQ has done.

    as I was saying, nobody outside of BQ Nation discounts that game.

  • The New England offense actually has gotten more vertical in recent years and has incorporated a ton of spread looks. If you've got a good TE or slot guy who can wreak havoc over the middle, defenses can't simply take away the deep ball by playing Cover 2.

    It's funny: just a year ago, a bunch of people here were talking about how you have to go vertical, which is why Savage was so smart to bring in Stallworth. Now, we're saying that defenses can easily take away the vertical game, so it's not all that valuable. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between.

    L lemosley01 wrote on last edited by
    #76

    Aloysius said:

    The New England offense actually has gotten more vertical in recent years and has incorporated a ton of spread looks. If you've got a good TE or slot guy who can wreak havoc over the middle, defenses can't simply take away the deep ball by playing Cover 2.

    It's funny: just a year ago, a bunch of people here were talking about how you have to go vertical, which is why Savage was so smart to bring in Stallworth. Now, we're saying that defenses can easily take away the vertical game, so it's not all that valuable. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between.

    That's why I think DA would do well in a place like DET - with CJ who can go up and get the ball, and can stretch the defense, it would seem to be an ideal environment.

    BUF is another possibility with TO.

    For Anderson to be successful, he NEEDS that big play receiver that can get errant passes in order to be successful. Every QB wants to have a guy like that, but some need it more than others.

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @shepwrite said:

    • Mangini said that while Brady Quinn "took the first rep of the first practice" last week, Derek Anderson and the other quarterbacks have rotated with the first team. The rotation schedule had Quinn again with the first team today.

    "READ A LOT INTO IT" looks like a poor choice of words now doesn't it?

    Mangini said that Anderson took first reps yesterday and will again tomorrow.

  • @lumbergh said:

    *Anderson took first reps on Tuesday

    what should we be reading into that?

    That Quinn's arm got tired from throwing all of the balls the previous three days?

    Damn Greythan. I didn't realize that DA owned several of the worst performances we've seen in recent memory. What a shitfest.

    DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @lemosley01 said:

    That Quinn's arm got tired from throwing all of the balls the previous three days?

    Considering both guys are getting the same number of reps in practice, I can't see Quinn's getting tired to the point that DA has to step in for him as a strong point.

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by Lumbergh
    #79

    @shepwrite said:

    I keep reading about Quinn's TD passes... nothing on Anderson.

    haven't heard anything on Anderson. that's because both media days fell on Quinn days.

    Sounds like Quinn threw one right to Don Carey on defense too. I thought Quinn knew Daboll's offense inside and out? He must be having problems reading defenses.

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @shepwrite said:

    Didn't hear who threw that interception to Carey. Did you? Just said Carey had an interception. Assuming he isn't first team defense yet, he may have been facing a backup quarterback (like Anderson).

    If Anderson threw a pick, you know sure as shit that the OBR would have not wasted an opportunity to tell you about it.

    The whole rest of the report is about Quinn. There is no question who threw it.

  • DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by
    #81

    OBR's gradually admitting the possibility that Anderson's actually in the mix at QB. Today they even went as far as stating DA "may not be that far behind Brady Quinn in Eric Mangini's eyes".

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #82

    @shepwrite said:

    Alo, defenses will take away the deep ball if that's a quarterback's forte. If he can do it all AND has a running game, it's much tougher to keep those safeties back. He'll just pick you apart, like a Tom Brady.

    Anderson looked lost without his deep ball. So it works on him. Cover 2 Quinn and I'd bet he'd take what you gave him, which is what he did in his only healthy start.

    I don't disagree that's been a problem with Anderson. He needs to improve his short game, and our running game needs to be good enough that opposing teams can't stop it using only their front sevens.

    It's not a good sign that the problem hasn't been solved. Then again, all we heard last summer was that DA was improving his game by working on his abs and getting Thai massages. His conditioning was never the problem, which made it all seem so bizarre.

    And he wowed everyone with his strong arm during camp (including you, if I'm not mistaken) when he should have been working on his short game. Maybe that's why you aren't hearing anything about him throwing deep ball TD's now: just as Quinn reportedly "staggered" early on in last year's camp because he changed his grip on the ball, perhaps DA's working on things that reporters sitting in on an hour of OTA's wouldn't notice.

    The deep ball is something of a given for DA, whereas it isn't necessarily so for Quinn. You said he'd take what the defense gave him, but they're probably not going to give him all of that underneath stuff. I bet defenses would stack the box against Quinn early on, thinking they're better off testing BQ's arm strength, Robiskie's deep speed, and Braylon's ability to come down with the ball. And on obvious passing downs, they're going to flash a bunch of different looks at him, perhaps trying to trick him with a couple more lineman dropping into coverage.

    And that's if he wins the job. From what I've heard, it sounds like we're having a real quarterback competition. Go watch Mangini's most recent presser: it's clear that he wants the public message to be that the two quarterbacks are in an open competition. Maybe it's Quinn's job to lose, but he could still lose it. I get that people here are afraid that DA's impressive arm will win him the competition, but don't you think that Mangini's smart enough to know what translates to a game setting and what doesn't? And if the offense we're installing is one that favors Quinn (as you've said) and DA still looks significantly better, what would that tell us?

    If I had to guess, I'd say Quinn wins the job and DA isn't with the team past this season; his 2010 contract numbers are just too high for a backup ($2M roster bonus, $7.45M base salary). But I don't think it makes sense to tear down DA with statistical analyses that'll make whoever's our starting QB this year look bad. If Brady starts and doesn't have a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, does that mean we should move on to Ratliff?

    I'd probably be happy with Matt Ryan's 16/11, assuming we actually get some rushing TD's. And I think you'd be happy as well.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Alo, defenses will take away the deep ball if that's a quarterback's forte. If he can do it all AND has a running game, it's much tougher to keep those safeties back. He'll just pick you apart, like a Tom Brady.

    Anderson looked lost without his deep ball. So it works on him. Cover 2 Quinn and I'd bet he'd take what you gave him, which is what he did in his only healthy start.

    I don't disagree that's been a problem with Anderson. He needs to improve his short game, and our running game needs to be good enough that opposing teams can't stop it using only their front sevens.

    It's not a good sign that the problem hasn't been solved. Then again, all we heard last summer was that DA was improving his game by working on his abs and getting Thai massages. His conditioning was never the problem, which made it all seem so bizarre.

    And he wowed everyone with his strong arm during camp (including you, if I'm not mistaken) when he should have been working on his short game. Maybe that's why you aren't hearing anything about him throwing deep ball TD's now: just as Quinn reportedly "staggered" early on in last year's camp because he changed his grip on the ball, perhaps DA's working on things that reporters sitting in on an hour of OTA's wouldn't notice.

    The deep ball is something of a given for DA, whereas it isn't necessarily so for Quinn. You said he'd take what the defense gave him, but they're probably not going to give him all of that underneath stuff. I bet defenses would stack the box against Quinn early on, thinking they're better off testing BQ's arm strength, Robiskie's deep speed, and Braylon's ability to come down with the ball. And on obvious passing downs, they're going to flash a bunch of different looks at him, perhaps trying to trick him with a couple more lineman dropping into coverage.

    And that's if he wins the job. From what I've heard, it sounds like we're having a real quarterback competition. Go watch Mangini's most recent presser: it's clear that he wants the public message to be that the two quarterbacks are in an open competition. Maybe it's Quinn's job to lose, but he could still lose it. I get that people here are afraid that DA's impressive arm will win him the competition, but don't you think that Mangini's smart enough to know what translates to a game setting and what doesn't? And if the offense we're installing is one that favors Quinn (as you've said) and DA still looks significantly better, what would that tell us?

    If I had to guess, I'd say Quinn wins the job and DA isn't with the team past this season; his 2010 contract numbers are just too high for a backup ($2M roster bonus, $7.45M base salary). But I don't think it makes sense to tear down DA with statistical analyses that'll make whoever's our starting QB this year look bad. If Brady starts and doesn't have a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, does that mean we should move on to Ratliff?

    I'd probably be happy with Matt Ryan's 16/11, assuming we actually get some rushing TD's. And I think you'd be happy as well.

    Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
    #83

    Aloysius said:

    I'd probably be happy with Matt Ryan's 16/11, assuming we actually get some rushing TD's. And I think you'd be happy as well.

    And the postseason would be pretty bitchin' too.

  • D Dave wrote on last edited by
    #84

    @danamal said:

    For continuity sake

    We need to name a starting QB sooner than later ,all this indecision at QB has a negative effect on an offense and this bullshit has been going on for way to long.

    Pick Quinn and stick with it.

    WHOEVER IT MAY BE........as long as its Quinn

    There, fixed that for ya

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @shepwrite said:

    That said, I find it almost impossible to imagine him not starting the first 5-7 games of the season at worst. I can't conjure that outcome no matter how hard I try. Quinn will get his shot.

    FYI, you said the same thing last year too.

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by Lumbergh
    #86

    @shepwrite said:

    Anderson? What did I win?

    a buzzer noise

    followed by a computer generated sound "wa... wa... waaa....."

  • @lemosley01 said:

    That Quinn's arm got tired from throwing all of the balls the previous three days?

    Considering both guys are getting the same number of reps in practice, I can't see Quinn's getting tired to the point that DA has to step in for him as a strong point.

    L lemosley01 wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @drunkandstoopid said:

    Considering both guys are getting the same number of reps in practice, I can't see Quinn's getting tired to the point that DA has to step in for him as a strong point.

    Surely you're not so obtuse as to miss obvious sarcasm...

    And...uh...yeah. There's a reason why you have a bunch of QBs in OTAs and camp.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I keep reading about Quinn's TD passes... nothing on Anderson.

    haven't heard anything on Anderson. that's because both media days fell on Quinn days.

    Sounds like Quinn threw one right to Don Carey on defense too. I thought Quinn knew Daboll's offense inside and out? He must be having problems reading defenses.

    OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by OconRecon
    #88

    @lumbergh said:

    haven't heard anything on Anderson. that's because both media days fell on Quinn days.

    Sounds like Quinn threw one right to Don Carey on defense too. I thought Quinn knew Daboll's offense inside and out? He must be having problems reading defenses.

    Wrong. OBR just tweeted it was Richard Bartel.

    And Don Carey saying:

    doncarey - LOL i was getting ready to twitt my excitement for the INT i got today but everyone beat me to the punch... yall or on ya game man... thanks

    22 minutes ago from web