The... I am batting (maybe alone) for the front office thread
-
I will start this by saying that I still completely do, 100%, agree with the current front office approach to changing the Browns. I know that’s an unpopular opinion and I know that lots here will either stop reading through disillusion or plain anger, but it is how I feel.
After 2015 the Browns tore this entire football club down, and I mean down, completely. It wasn’t just a regime change like has happened in the NFL ad nauseam, it was a deliberate wipe out of almost everything that had been before. I bet they even changed the toothpaste in dressing rooms.
As of the start of the 2016 draft the Browns were an expansion team, the fans don’t believe that, but it IS what they believe in Berea, even if they’d never admit it publicly.
So, onto what they’ve done since, start by admitting to yourself that no FO is ever going to hit on every pick, every trade, every waiver or every cut. It doesn’t happen here and it doesn’t happen in NE. The problem here is when you tear it all down every decision is magnified, why cut Haden and watch TY Hilton get 254 yards in one game? That’s because it is IRRELEVANT. One big play, or two, or three, is not why Haslam put this FO in place and it isn’t why Podesta is here to apparently ruin his reputation.
This is and was a 3, 4 or 5 draft “process”, I don’t care how many of you hate that word, but it is a fact. It’s an expansion team. They have already put together a good defense you can see it on the field. If the offense keeps them off it they will be even better, which brings me to the main issue, our offense. The line is fixed already if all fit, no question.
We don’t have a QB right now, they know it and the fans certainly know it. But guess what?.... they aren’t stuck with what they have, they will draft one next year like they have the last two because they know that you can never stop looking. Shoving a second and a third on one and yet keeping lots of picks was deliberate, they took chances.
The roster is getting better, and once they hit the QB, a lot will be in place. They are doing what they set out to do two years ago. And I hope Jimmy lets them they carry on with it.
I used to feel this way. That said, it's a passing era and this FO couldn't be any worse at bringing in decent help at QB and WR despite how much spending money they had access to and how high up the pecking order they were for a guy like Carson Wentz. When we pay 19 million $ for the Wizard of Os and 12 million $ for a disinterested Kenny Britt while penny penching other areas - WTF? And the FA Center we added gets blown backward constantly as he did in GB during their slow start in 2016. GB coincidentally improved when Tretter went on IR in 2016 to the extent Aaron Rodgers no longer had to tell fans and media to relax. Last year, Crow averaged 4.8 yards per carry - this year he's been in the low 3's most of the year.
The only part of our team that is clearly better is our Front 7 at defending the run. An aging vet like McCourty had a nice start after being phased out in TN's plans/scheme in 2016. That said, I'm not a big fan of Jamar Taylor at all.
So, we have bigger draft volumes and multiple upper round picks; but I still don't see any football experts with criteria to tell the difference between a Kessler and a Prescott or a Wentz vrs a trade down for more guys with much less overall impact. Even though Watson had a similar freak injury to Teddy B in non-contact practice - Houston's scoring offense was highest its been in years with Watson QBing them. We could have had him at #12 vrs the Dial-Turnover we've been gagging on in round 2.
I used to always be positive to a fault but we're 1-23 under Legally Blind. I'm done buying Sashi's quick sand until I see something, ANYTHING, to hang my hat on. If you ever want to feel stupid, challenge someone to a game of chess (surrender all your pieces but your King and Pawns but allow your opponent to be full strength). Let me know how easy it is to attack your opponent. It isn't. Sashi wants us to pretend we're training the next Troy Aikman so all the growing pains will be worth it.
It all starts with Jimmy - who leaves a lot to be desired with his hiring criteria.
I used to feel this way. That said, it's a passing era and this FO couldn't be any worse at bringing in decent help at QB and WR despite how much spending money they had access to and how high up the pecking order they were for a guy like Carson Wentz. When we pay 19 million $ for the Wizard of Os and 12 million $ for a disinterested Kenny Britt while penny penching other areas - WTF? And the FA Center we added gets blown backward constantly as he did in GB during their slow start in 2016. GB coincidentally improved when Tretter went on IR in 2016 to the extent Aaron Rodgers no longer had to tell fans and media to relax. Last year, Crow averaged 4.8 yards per carry - this year he's been in the low 3's most of the year.
The only part of our team that is clearly better is our Front 7 at defending the run. An aging vet like McCourty had a nice start after being phased out in TN's plans/scheme in 2016. That said, I'm not a big fan of Jamar Taylor at all.
So, we have bigger draft volumes and multiple upper round picks; but I still don't see any football experts with criteria to tell the difference between a Kessler and a Prescott or a Wentz vrs a trade down for more guys with much less overall impact. Even though Watson had a similar freak injury to Teddy B in non-contact practice - Houston's scoring offense was highest its been in years with Watson QBing them. We could have had him at #12 vrs the Dial-Turnover we've been gagging on in round 2.
I used to always be positive to a fault but we're 1-23 under Legally Blind. I'm done buying Sashi's quick sand until I see something, ANYTHING, to hang my hat on. If you ever want to feel stupid, challenge someone to a game of chess (surrender all your pieces but your King and Pawns but allow your opponent to be full strength). Let me know how easy it is to attack your opponent. It isn't. Sashi wants us to pretend we're training the next Troy Aikman so all the growing pains will be worth it.
It all starts with Jimmy - who leaves a lot to be desired with his hiring criteria.
Welcome aboard!
-
I will start this by saying that I still completely do, 100%, agree with the current front office approach to changing the Browns. I know that’s an unpopular opinion and I know that lots here will either stop reading through disillusion or plain anger, but it is how I feel.
After 2015 the Browns tore this entire football club down, and I mean down, completely. It wasn’t just a regime change like has happened in the NFL ad nauseam, it was a deliberate wipe out of almost everything that had been before. I bet they even changed the toothpaste in dressing rooms.
As of the start of the 2016 draft the Browns were an expansion team, the fans don’t believe that, but it IS what they believe in Berea, even if they’d never admit it publicly.
So, onto what they’ve done since, start by admitting to yourself that no FO is ever going to hit on every pick, every trade, every waiver or every cut. It doesn’t happen here and it doesn’t happen in NE. The problem here is when you tear it all down every decision is magnified, why cut Haden and watch TY Hilton get 254 yards in one game? That’s because it is IRRELEVANT. One big play, or two, or three, is not why Haslam put this FO in place and it isn’t why Podesta is here to apparently ruin his reputation.
This is and was a 3, 4 or 5 draft “process”, I don’t care how many of you hate that word, but it is a fact. It’s an expansion team. They have already put together a good defense you can see it on the field. If the offense keeps them off it they will be even better, which brings me to the main issue, our offense. The line is fixed already if all fit, no question.
We don’t have a QB right now, they know it and the fans certainly know it. But guess what?.... they aren’t stuck with what they have, they will draft one next year like they have the last two because they know that you can never stop looking. Shoving a second and a third on one and yet keeping lots of picks was deliberate, they took chances.
The roster is getting better, and once they hit the QB, a lot will be in place. They are doing what they set out to do two years ago. And I hope Jimmy lets them they carry on with it.
I used to feel this way. That said, it's a passing era and this FO couldn't be any worse at bringing in decent help at QB and WR despite how much spending money they had access to and how high up the pecking order they were for a guy like Carson Wentz. When we pay 19 million $ for the Wizard of Os and 12 million $ for a disinterested Kenny Britt while penny penching other areas - WTF? And the FA Center we added gets blown backward constantly as he did in GB during their slow start in 2016. GB coincidentally improved when Tretter went on IR in 2016 to the extent Aaron Rodgers no longer had to tell fans and media to relax. Last year, Crow averaged 4.8 yards per carry - this year he's been in the low 3's most of the year.
The only part of our team that is clearly better is our Front 7 at defending the run. An aging vet like McCourty had a nice start after being phased out in TN's plans/scheme in 2016. That said, I'm not a big fan of Jamar Taylor at all.
So, we have bigger draft volumes and multiple upper round picks; but I still don't see any football experts with criteria to tell the difference between a Kessler and a Prescott or a Wentz vrs a trade down for more guys with much less overall impact. Even though Watson had a similar freak injury to Teddy B in non-contact practice - Houston's scoring offense was highest its been in years with Watson QBing them. We could have had him at #12 vrs the Dial-Turnover we've been gagging on in round 2.
I used to always be positive to a fault but we're 1-23 under Legally Blind. I'm done buying Sashi's quick sand until I see something, ANYTHING, to hang my hat on. If you ever want to feel stupid, challenge someone to a game of chess (surrender all your pieces but your King and Pawns but allow your opponent to be full strength). Let me know how easy it is to attack your opponent. It isn't. Sashi wants us to pretend we're training the next Troy Aikman so all the growing pains will be worth it.
It all starts with Jimmy - who leaves a lot to be desired with his hiring criteria.
I still don't see any football experts with criteria to tell the difference between a Kessler and a Prescott or a Wentz vrs a trade down...
The player evaluators are called "scouts" and, no, you can't see them...
The "vs.tradedown" becomes a consideration only when the scouts are not able to agree/consense with the other evaluation tools on the worth of a prospect... any prospect... commensurate with the pick available.
In the case of a FA, it is worth commensurate with price.
-
I still don't see any football experts with criteria to tell the difference between a Kessler and a Prescott or a Wentz vrs a trade down...
The player evaluators are called "scouts" and, no, you can't see them...
The "vs.tradedown" becomes a consideration only when the scouts are not able to agree/consense with the other evaluation tools on the worth of a prospect... any prospect... commensurate with the pick available.
In the case of a FA, it is worth commensurate with price.
The "vs.tradedown" becomes a consideration only when the scouts are not able to agree/consense with the other evaluation tools on the worth of a prospect... any prospect... commensurate with the pick available.
So T, curious as to who you think makes the pick when the inevitable happens that there is no consensus? Someone has to write a players name on a card and turn it in to the NFL before the clock ticks to zero?
Someone has to have the final say, and it's my understanding that it's Sashi......
-
The "vs.tradedown" becomes a consideration only when the scouts are not able to agree/consense with the other evaluation tools on the worth of a prospect... any prospect... commensurate with the pick available.
So T, curious as to who you think makes the pick when the inevitable happens that there is no consensus? Someone has to write a players name on a card and turn it in to the NFL before the clock ticks to zero?
Someone has to have the final say, and it's my understanding that it's Sashi......
So T, curious as to who you think makes the pick when the inevitable happens that there is no consensus? Someone has to write a players name on a card and turn it in to the NFL before the clock ticks to zero?
Someone has to have the final say, and it's my understanding that it's Sashi......
Again.... when there is no consensus player worth the pick, the pick is traded. It is really can be that easy. It is also no different than any FO who has "the guy" you so long for... the guys we've had from Farmer to Chuckles to Holmgren.... guys like Ozzie... guys like Bill... etc... etc.
Now if no trade partner can be found? Then it's the next guy on the board... even if you believe he can be had later in the draft. But generally speaking high picks are not hard to trade,
-
So T, curious as to who you think makes the pick when the inevitable happens that there is no consensus? Someone has to write a players name on a card and turn it in to the NFL before the clock ticks to zero?
Someone has to have the final say, and it's my understanding that it's Sashi......
Again.... when there is no consensus player worth the pick, the pick is traded. It is really can be that easy. It is also no different than any FO who has "the guy" you so long for... the guys we've had from Farmer to Chuckles to Holmgren.... guys like Ozzie... guys like Bill... etc... etc.
Now if no trade partner can be found? Then it's the next guy on the board... even if you believe he can be had later in the draft. But generally speaking high picks are not hard to trade,
Again.... when there is no consensus player worth the pick, the pick is traded.
It is really that easy.
Wow..... In my everyday life for 49yrs I know how hard it is to get just three people to agree on anything, much less 5, 8, 11.... Guess we should look for many more trades throughout the life of The Process.
FWIW, it was Sashi himself who said he had 'final say' when Hue was hired/introduced in what seems like a lifetime ago....
-
Again.... when there is no consensus player worth the pick, the pick is traded.
It is really that easy.
Wow..... In my everyday life for 49yrs I know how hard it is to get just three people to agree on anything, much less 5, 8, 11.... Guess we should look for many more trades throughout the life of The Process.
FWIW, it was Sashi himself who said he had 'final say' when Hue was hired/introduced in what seems like a lifetime ago....
Wow..... In my everyday life for 49yrs I know how hard it is to get just three people to agree on anything, much less 5, 8, 11.... Guess we should look for many more trades throughout the life of The Process.
FWIW, it was Sashi himself who said he had 'final say' when Hue was hired/introduced in what seems like a lifetime ago....
Maybe you've identified the real problem. Nobody makes decisions, and suffers the consequences, in the Browns organization.
-
Wow..... In my everyday life for 49yrs I know how hard it is to get just three people to agree on anything, much less 5, 8, 11.... Guess we should look for many more trades throughout the life of The Process.
FWIW, it was Sashi himself who said he had 'final say' when Hue was hired/introduced in what seems like a lifetime ago....
Maybe you've identified the real problem. Nobody makes decisions, and suffers the consequences, in the Browns organization.
Maybe you've identified the real problem. Nobody makes decisions, and suffers the consequences, in the Browns organization.
no one seems even remotely worried about their job. even kenny britt.
-
Maybe you've identified the real problem. Nobody makes decisions, and suffers the consequences, in the Browns organization.
no one seems even remotely worried about their job. even kenny britt.
no one seems even remotely worried about their job. even kenny britt.
At least with Pettine there was a crazy look and a depressed look. The current regime has a Socky, "don't worry we got this" facade.
-
no one seems even remotely worried about their job. even kenny britt.
At least with Pettine there was a crazy look and a depressed look. The current regime has a Socky, "don't worry we got this" facade.
At least with Pettine there was a crazy look and a depressed look. The current regime has a Socky, "don't worry we got this" facade.
Well, Pettine hated losing more then Hue. I swear, if Hue gives that stupid "I came here to win" speech that he gives every single week again, I'll lose it.
-
At least with Pettine there was a crazy look and a depressed look. The current regime has a Socky, "don't worry we got this" facade.
Well, Pettine hated losing more then Hue. I swear, if Hue gives that stupid "I came here to win" speech that he gives every single week again, I'll lose it.
Well, Pettine hated losing more then Hue. I swear, if Hue gives that stupid "I came here to win" speech that he gives every single week again, I'll lose it.
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
-
Well, Pettine hated losing more then Hue. I swear, if Hue gives that stupid "I came here to win" speech that he gives every single week again, I'll lose it.
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
"I have perfected the art of losing"...
-
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
"I have perfected the art of losing"...
"I have perfected the art of losing"...
I feel a book deal coming out of this, "The Art Of Losing" by Hue Jackson and Sushi Brown
-
"I have perfected the art of losing"...
I feel a book deal coming out of this, "The Art Of Losing" by Hue Jackson and Sushi Brown
I feel a book deal coming out of this, "The Art Of Losing" by Hue Jackson and Sushi Brown
"I lost" by Hue Jackson "How to con a redneck" by Sashi Brown
-
-
Well with the Giants being ass raped by the 49ers....we are very nearly on the clock for the #1 overall pick.
-
Well with the Giants being ass raped by the 49ers....we are very nearly on the clock for the #1 overall pick.
Well with the Giants being butt raped by the 49ers....we are very nearly on the clock for the #1 overall pick.
Which will be Sam Darold. Then by week 7 next year when the team is 1-6 and he is underachieving, we will here how the departure of Joe Thomas weakened the O-Line so much Tom Brady wouldn't be successful.
-
Well, Pettine hated losing more then Hue. I swear, if Hue gives that stupid "I came here to win" speech that he gives every single week again, I'll lose it.
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
Some people here would cheer for that.
-
Well with the Giants being butt raped by the 49ers....we are very nearly on the clock for the #1 overall pick.
Which will be Sam Darold. Then by week 7 next year when the team is 1-6 and he is underachieving, we will here how the departure of Joe Thomas weakened the O-Line so much Tom Brady wouldn't be successful.
Which will be Sam Darold. Then by week 7 next year when the team is 1-6 and he is underachieving, we will here how the departure of Joe Thomas weakened the O-Line so much Tom Brady wouldn't be successful.
SWEET!! We already have 1 win in the 7 games?? The Process works after all!
-
Well, Pettine hated losing more then Hue. I swear, if Hue gives that stupid "I came here to win" speech that he gives every single week again, I'll lose it.
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
You can punch me in the face until your hands broke!
-
He should throw a curveball, "I came here to lose until I start winning."
You can punch me in the face until your hands broke!
You can punch me in the face until your hands broke!
Wasn't that a skit on Big Chuck?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
