Skip to content

The... I am batting (maybe alone) for the front office thread

The Browns Board
383 44 9.2k 1
  • @tour2ma said:

    Where the phuck did I ever say, "The biggest miss has been the Qb's but that falls directly on Hue." ????????????

    We will simply never agree on the "football guy". Installing a final say is the same as blowing up the whole thing.

    Tour, Bigalow80 said the first phrase, not you, must of been an error when quoting.

    In my eyes, as a group making decisions, what would be wrong with one more guy who has an eye for talent?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Ag... watch/record UVA vs. Miami Saturday. I am pretty sure I have my darkhorse for 2018, but I have a streak to protect.

    Darnold? Rosen? Still lean Rosen, but I'm starting to get bad vibes on both. A lil Leinart feel for the former and Leaf feel for the latter. Looking forward to their match up.

    Still haven't seen Allen. Jackson? Kid could be the Russell Wilson of this draft.

    Really disagree on our FO... but you probably could have guessed that... 😉

    @stillmotion said:

    Tour, Bigalow80 said the first phrase, not you, must of been an error when quoting.

    In my eyes, as a group making decisions, what would be wrong with one more guy who has an eye for talent?

    Correction noted... I and my sanity thank you.

    One more guy over "the concensus process" destroys the process. It's that simple. It's the Holmgren/Farmer/Chuckles/Moleface way one more time. It's not as if any one guy evaluates every prospect. None can... no one person can. Every "great" GM has hot and cold streaks. The best GM's build scouting... and analytics... staffs as well or better than they do rosters. That is how they sustain excellence. That is at the heart of what Sashi & Co are doing. That is Sashi's focus... it has to be since he is not a football guy. His total focus is the process.

    I do not know of another example of this FO's approach. I do not know if it will work, I just know it can work... but only without the installation of a football guy.

    Reminds me that I owe D bone a post....

  • I just dont get it.

    2016- the FO LOVED Goff, but he was taken before we could get him.  Wentz was more risky and for a rebuild it was clear-as-day the trade down would be best for the organization... long term.  As of today, I think Goff will be the better pro.

    2017- Garrett was a no-brainer.  When we traded down from 12, MOST people were upset we didn't pick the S from OSU, not Watson.  Actually, I cant recall anybody clamoring for Watson and he seemed like somewhat a risky pick for the Texans.

    Those are not egregious errors, if you are honest and NOT just using hindsight to evaluate those decisions...

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    @thenew23 said:

    I just dont get it.

    2016- the FO LOVED Goff, but he was taken before we could get him.  Wentz was more risky and for a rebuild it was clear-as-day the trade down would be best for the organization... long term.  As of today, I think Goff will be the better pro.

    2017- Garrett was a no-brainer.  When we traded down from 12, MOST people were upset we didn't pick the S from OSU, not Watson.  Actually, I cant recall anybody clamoring for Watson and he seemed like somewhat a risky pick for the Texans.

    Those are not egregious errors, if you are honest and NOT just using hindsight to evaluate those decisions...

    @thenew23 said:

     And the fact they liked Goff tells me all I need to know about their ability to evaluate QBs.  They just haven't (like every other regime before them) pulled the trigger on a QB at the top of the draft.  This year... it will be time to take a shot...

    BOOM! Glad you split into two posts so I could give you two points...

    Last point of first quoted bit first... here is what a title search for "Camp Watson" produced...

    Kinda makes your "hindsight" point for you. I guess we can be thankful that the Camps Trubs and Mahommes crowds have no foundation as yet.

    Interesting thing about both Wentz and Watson... trade offers made it more of question of whether we believed in either enough to spend two high picks on either one. Minus the offers I am not sure we would have passed on either, but the offers came and we passed.

    Had we landed Goff and he posted the year he did in 2016 in CLE, the din here would have been mindblowing. And as much as I was in Camp Goff, the price of making sure we got him made me nervous.

    Many a player I wanted, especially QBs, in the end got simply too expensive to land. No better example than Tannehill.

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... getting a lil frayed here... sorry if I throw undeserved testy your way from time to time.

    Part of the beauty of the process is that decisions are not easy. Picking Wheezy was "easy"... ditto for JFF... living with results of those picks was not. The goal, our goal, Sashi's goal, is to continuously increase the quality of the decisions the process produces.

    Never any worries T, as I take nothing personal and the Browns could even make Gandhi irate....

    Give me your opinion on the following regarding a player acquisition: 

    FO Dude 1: I Love him! (Sashi)

    FO Dude 2: I hate him! (Hue)

    FO Dude 3: Whatever (Dude)

    FO Dude 4: He's pretty good (Dude)

    FO Dude 5: He's not very good (Dude) 

    ^ Extreme example I know, and I also know that if this was my friends and me, we would probably just play rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock..... but what do you think happens in this case? I'm guessing that the Browns would sign him since Sashi loves him? 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    Give me your opinion on the following regarding a player acquisition: 

    ^ Extreme example I know, and I also know that if this was my friends and me, we would probably just play rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock..... but what do you think happens in this case? I'm guessing that the Browns would sign him since Sashi loves him? 

    @tour2ma said:

    Just lost a growing write up... too late too tired to restart it now. See ya in the AM... but a partial preview is in the strikethru above and these links...

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/front-office.html

     http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches.html

    Now the challenge is to remember my approach from two nites ago... hmmmmm.

    First... modify your example a bit. Second... Fire your Dude #3 as these guys are paid to have opinions

    And..... F U C K.... did it again...

    I need an "Undo" button... badly....

    have to take this offline to a word program... back later...

  • @thenew23 said:

    I just dont get it.

    2016- the FO LOVED Goff, but he was taken before we could get him.  Wentz was more risky and for a rebuild it was clear-as-day the trade down would be best for the organization... long term.  As of today, I think Goff will be the better pro.

    2017- Garrett was a no-brainer.  When we traded down from 12, MOST people were upset we didn't pick the S from OSU, not Watson.  Actually, I cant recall anybody clamoring for Watson and he seemed like somewhat a risky pick for the Texans.

    Those are not egregious errors, if you are honest and NOT just using hindsight to evaluate those decisions...

    @thenew23 said:

     And the fact they liked Goff tells me all I need to know about their ability to evaluate QBs.  They just haven't (like every other regime before them) pulled the trigger on a QB at the top of the draft.  This year... it will be time to take a shot...

    BOOM! Glad you split into two posts so I could give you two points...

    Last point of first quoted bit first... here is what a title search for "Camp Watson" produced...

    Kinda makes your "hindsight" point for you. I guess we can be thankful that the Camps Trubs and Mahommes crowds have no foundation as yet.

    Interesting thing about both Wentz and Watson... trade offers made it more of question of whether we believed in either enough to spend two high picks on either one. Minus the offers I am not sure we would have passed on either, but the offers came and we passed.

    Had we landed Goff and he posted the year he did in 2016 in CLE, the din here would have been mindblowing. And as much as I was in Camp Goff, the price of making sure we got him made me nervous.

    Many a player I wanted, especially QBs, in the end got simply too expensive to land. No better example than Tannehill.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Had we landed Goff and he posted the year he did in CLE in 2016, the din here would have been mindblowing. 

    Oh God cant you just imagine the Sashi can’t evaluate QB he’s a lawyer comments

    It may have even surpassed the current tide of comments

  • @mark-o said:

    Well with the Giants being butt raped by the 49ers....we are very nearly on the clock for the #1 overall pick. 

    Mason Rudolph?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Mason Rudolph?

    That's the red neck pronunciation of My Son - Ma Son.

    Anyway, it remains tough to translate Big 12 stats based on the lack of defense in that conference.  Then again, this lack of defense seems to go viral all over college football when Ohio State gives up over 50 points to Iowa.  The Syracuse team that beat Clemson gave up 64 points to Wake Forest while GA didn't look like they played very much defense vrs Auburn.

    It looks like Ma Son has a great frame, strong arm and plenty of TD passes and yardage on the resume.  I just wonder how much de-programming his first NFL team needs to do.  Prevention always seems easier than intervention, which adds to the challenge of finding the right QB for our situation.

    As fun as it is to watch Baker Mayfield, I don't know if he has a great chance in today's game. To say such a thing, I remember Drew Brees struggling so bad in his 3rd NFL season - that the Chargers used their 1st overall pick the next year on a QB. The rookie QB held out the length of camp and Brees had his first of many Pro Bowl seasons leading SD to a 12-4 record.  

  • Ag... watch/record UVA vs. Miami Saturday. I am pretty sure I have my darkhorse for 2018, but I have a streak to protect.

    Darnold? Rosen? Still lean Rosen, but I'm starting to get bad vibes on both. A lil Leinart feel for the former and Leaf feel for the latter. Looking forward to their match up.

    Still haven't seen Allen. Jackson? Kid could be the Russell Wilson of this draft.

    Really disagree on our FO... but you probably could have guessed that... 😉

    @stillmotion said:

    Tour, Bigalow80 said the first phrase, not you, must of been an error when quoting.

    In my eyes, as a group making decisions, what would be wrong with one more guy who has an eye for talent?

    Correction noted... I and my sanity thank you.

    One more guy over "the concensus process" destroys the process. It's that simple. It's the Holmgren/Farmer/Chuckles/Moleface way one more time. It's not as if any one guy evaluates every prospect. None can... no one person can. Every "great" GM has hot and cold streaks. The best GM's build scouting... and analytics... staffs as well or better than they do rosters. That is how they sustain excellence. That is at the heart of what Sashi & Co are doing. That is Sashi's focus... it has to be since he is not a football guy. His total focus is the process.

    I do not know of another example of this FO's approach. I do not know if it will work, I just know it can work... but only without the installation of a football guy.

    Reminds me that I owe D bone a post....

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Ag... watch/record UVA vs. Miami Saturday. I am pretty sure I have my darkhorse for 2018, but I have a streak to protect.

    Darnold? Rosen? Still lean Rosen, but I'm starting to get bad vibes on both. A lil Leinart feel for the former and Leaf feel for the latter. Looking forward to their match up.

    Still haven't seen Allen. Jackson? Kid could be the Russell Wilson of this draft.

    Im not convinced on any of them.   Figure that one of them has to be great right? 

  • @d-bone said:

    Give me your opinion on the following regarding a player acquisition: 

    ^ Extreme example I know, and I also know that if this was my friends and me, we would probably just play rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock..... but what do you think happens in this case? I'm guessing that the Browns would sign him since Sashi loves him? 

    @tour2ma said:

    Just lost a growing write up... too late too tired to restart it now. See ya in the AM... but a partial preview is in the strikethru above and these links...

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/front-office.html

     http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches.html

    Now the challenge is to remember my approach from two nites ago... hmmmmm.

    First... modify your example a bit. Second... Fire your Dude #3 as these guys are paid to have opinions

    And..... F U C K.... did it again...

    I need an "Undo" button... badly....

    have to take this offline to a word program... back later...

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Now the challenge is to remember my approach from two nites ago... hmmmmm.

    First... modify your example a bit. Second... Fire your Dude #3 as these guys are paid to have opinions

    And..... F U C K.... did it again...

    I need an "Undo" button... badly....

    have to take this offline to a word program... back later...

    The images running through my mind are awesome! 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Ag... watch/record UVA vs. Miami Saturday. I am pretty sure I have my darkhorse for 2018, but I have a streak to protect.

    Darnold? Rosen? Still lean Rosen, but I'm starting to get bad vibes on both. A lil Leinart feel for the former and Leaf feel for the latter. Looking forward to their match up.

    Still haven't seen Allen. Jackson? Kid could be the Russell Wilson of this draft.

    Im not convinced on any of them.   Figure that one of them has to be great right? 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @mark-o said:

    Im not convinced on any of them.   Figure that one of them has to be great right? 

    In the entire QB class? Likely...

    Of the top 4? Dunno... haven't seen him yet.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Now the challenge is to remember my approach from two nites ago... hmmmmm.

    First... modify your example a bit. Second... Fire your Dude #3 as these guys are paid to have opinions

    And..... F U C K.... did it again...

    I need an "Undo" button... badly....

    have to take this offline to a word program... back later...

    The images running through my mind are awesome! 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    The images running through my mind are awesome! 

    lol... I do have a book or two I could send you... 🙂

  • @d-bone said:

    The images running through my mind are awesome! 

    lol... I do have a book or two I could send you... 🙂

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... I do have a book or two I could send you... 🙂

    Thanks, but none of the other 13 have helped so far......... 

  • Ag... watch/record UVA vs. Miami Saturday. I am pretty sure I have my darkhorse for 2018, but I have a streak to protect.

    Darnold? Rosen? Still lean Rosen, but I'm starting to get bad vibes on both. A lil Leinart feel for the former and Leaf feel for the latter. Looking forward to their match up.

    Still haven't seen Allen. Jackson? Kid could be the Russell Wilson of this draft.

    Really disagree on our FO... but you probably could have guessed that... 😉

    @stillmotion said:

    Tour, Bigalow80 said the first phrase, not you, must of been an error when quoting.

    In my eyes, as a group making decisions, what would be wrong with one more guy who has an eye for talent?

    Correction noted... I and my sanity thank you.

    One more guy over "the concensus process" destroys the process. It's that simple. It's the Holmgren/Farmer/Chuckles/Moleface way one more time. It's not as if any one guy evaluates every prospect. None can... no one person can. Every "great" GM has hot and cold streaks. The best GM's build scouting... and analytics... staffs as well or better than they do rosters. That is how they sustain excellence. That is at the heart of what Sashi & Co are doing. That is Sashi's focus... it has to be since he is not a football guy. His total focus is the process.

    I do not know of another example of this FO's approach. I do not know if it will work, I just know it can work... but only without the installation of a football guy.

    Reminds me that I owe D bone a post....

    stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Ag... watch/record UVA vs. Miami Saturday. I am pretty sure I have my darkhorse for 2018, but I have a streak to protect.

    Darnold? Rosen? Still lean Rosen, but I'm starting to get bad vibes on both. A lil Leinart feel for the former and Leaf feel for the latter. Looking forward to their match up.

    Still haven't seen Allen. Jackson? Kid could be the Russell Wilson of this draft.

    Really disagree on our FO... but you probably could have guessed that... 😉

    Correction noted... I and my sanity thank you.

    One more guy over "the concensus process" destroys the process. It's that simple. It's the Holmgren/Farmer/Chuckles/Moleface way one more time. It's not as if any one guy evaluates every prospect. None can... no one person can. Every "great" GM has hot and cold streaks. The best GM's build scouting... and analytics... staffs as well or better than they do rosters. That is how they sustain excellence. That is at the heart of what Sashi & Co are doing. That is Sashi's focus... it has to be since he is not a football guy. His total focus is the process.

    I do not know of another example of this FO's approach. I do not know if it will work, I just know it can work... but only without the installation of a football guy.

    Reminds me that I owe D bone a post....

    I'm not saying bring someone in with the title "GM", I'd just say to toss in someone like manning to help with football operations. If we want, we can still give Sashi the final say, but let him handle most of the talent evaluation. In my opinion we've hit on some prospects but fell so flat on quarterback it's ridiculous. Again this is just my two cents. I admire Sashi's confidence, but admit I'm slightly afraid of it at times and I detest Hue's overconfidence.

  • Where the phuck did I ever say, "The biggest miss has been the Qb's but that falls directly on Hue." ????????????

    We will simply never agree on the "football guy". Installing a final say is the same as blowing up the whole thing.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Where the phuck did I ever say, "The biggest miss has been the Qb's but that falls directly on Hue." ????????????

    We will simply never agree on the "football guy". Installing a final say is the same as blowing up the whole thing.

    Well, I'll wait and let you tell me how the "consensus" decided it was a good idea to offer the Bengals second and third round picks for AJ McDonald's. Love the Android auto correct.

    Another blunder saved by the Bell from the gang that can't shoot straight.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Where the phuck did I ever say, "The biggest miss has been the Qb's but that falls directly on Hue." ????????????

    We will simply never agree on the "football guy". Installing a final say is the same as blowing up the whole thing.

    Well, I'll wait and let you tell me how the "consensus" decided it was a good idea to offer the Bengals second and third round picks for AJ McDonald's. Love the Android auto correct.

    Another blunder saved by the Bell from the gang that can't shoot straight.

    stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Well, I'll wait and let you tell me how the "consensus" decided it was a good idea to offer the Bengals second and third round picks for AJ McDonald's. Love the Android auto correct.

    Another blunder saved by the Bell from the gang that can't shoot straight.

    I just don't get why we tried to trade back for Pryor......

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-reportedly-tried-to-get-terrelle-pryor-back-via-trade-with-redskins/

  • @tour2ma said:

    Ag... watch/record UVA vs. Miami Saturday. I am pretty sure I have my darkhorse for 2018, but I have a streak to protect.

    Darnold? Rosen? Still lean Rosen, but I'm starting to get bad vibes on both. A lil Leinart feel for the former and Leaf feel for the latter. Looking forward to their match up.

    Still haven't seen Allen. Jackson? Kid could be the Russell Wilson of this draft.

    Really disagree on our FO... but you probably could have guessed that... 😉

    Correction noted... I and my sanity thank you.

    One more guy over "the concensus process" destroys the process. It's that simple. It's the Holmgren/Farmer/Chuckles/Moleface way one more time. It's not as if any one guy evaluates every prospect. None can... no one person can. Every "great" GM has hot and cold streaks. The best GM's build scouting... and analytics... staffs as well or better than they do rosters. That is how they sustain excellence. That is at the heart of what Sashi & Co are doing. That is Sashi's focus... it has to be since he is not a football guy. His total focus is the process.

    I do not know of another example of this FO's approach. I do not know if it will work, I just know it can work... but only without the installation of a football guy.

    Reminds me that I owe D bone a post....

    I'm not saying bring someone in with the title "GM", I'd just say to toss in someone like manning to help with football operations. If we want, we can still give Sashi the final say, but let him handle most of the talent evaluation. In my opinion we've hit on some prospects but fell so flat on quarterback it's ridiculous. Again this is just my two cents. I admire Sashi's confidence, but admit I'm slightly afraid of it at times and I detest Hue's overconfidence.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @stillmotion said:

    I'm not saying bring someone in with the title "GM", I'd just say to toss in someone like manning to help with football operations. If we want, we can still give Sashi the final say, but let him handle most of the talent evaluation. In my opinion we've hit on some prospects but fell so flat on quarterback it's ridiculous. Again this is just my two cents. I admire Sashi's confidence, but admit I'm slightly afraid of it at times and I detest Hue's overconfidence.

    I'm not sure you land a Manning or other "football guy" without giving them control... but if we can, then I'm good. Manning as a Special Consultant is something I've endorsed before. Install him to work with Scouting, Pro and College, to ID QB candidates to feed the consensus process.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Where the phuck did I ever say, "The biggest miss has been the Qb's but that falls directly on Hue." ????????????

    We will simply never agree on the "football guy". Installing a final say is the same as blowing up the whole thing.

    Well, I'll wait and let you tell me how the "consensus" decided it was a good idea to offer the Bengals second and third round picks for AJ McDonald's. Love the Android auto correct.

    Another blunder saved by the Bell from the gang that can't shoot straight.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Well, I'll wait and let you tell me how the "consensus" decided it was a good idea to offer the Bengals second and third round picks for AJ McDonald's. Love the Android auto correct.

    Another blunder saved by the Bell from the gang that can't shoot straight.

    Watch it, bud... you're talking about one of my darkhorses there. One, I might add, that has shown nothing but promise whenever he's been on the field.

    That said... I am on record as saying a 2nd + a 3rd was a bit rich for him... especially in light of his being an UFA at season's end.

    He'd be an interesting addition to our 2018 mix... certainly among the "best-of-the-rest" type FA I see behind Cousins.

  • NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by Nero

    I think someone has posted it somewhere: they haven't really TRIED to get the franchise QB yet.

    It is an interesting move since it is the hardest position to address, so if everytime you go to the draft, you draft one, but not in the first round, it's like stating that you obviously need a quaterback, while you don't take risks and gain some time. I was really glad they took Kizer in the 2nd round, because he was by some of the analysts I follow the top prospect, and you take him with your 4th pick, not putting so much pressure neither on him or on you (FO). If the QBs you draft don't make it, well, they're lower rounds. If they work out, you're a genius.

    Anyway, the time to pass on QBs has gone. They have to take one in the first round (whether Kizer improves or not) and having someone such as Manning in the building as a consultant would be great.

  • @thenew23 said:

    I just dont get it.

    2016- the FO LOVED Goff, but he was taken before we could get him.  Wentz was more risky and for a rebuild it was clear-as-day the trade down would be best for the organization... long term.  As of today, I think Goff will be the better pro.

    2017- Garrett was a no-brainer.  When we traded down from 12, MOST people were upset we didn't pick the S from OSU, not Watson.  Actually, I cant recall anybody clamoring for Watson and he seemed like somewhat a risky pick for the Texans.

    Those are not egregious errors, if you are honest and NOT just using hindsight to evaluate those decisions...

     And the fact they liked Goff tells me all I need to know about their ability to evaluate QBs.  They just haven't (like every other regime before them) pulled the trigger on a QB at the top of the draft.  This year... it will be time to take a shot...

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    @thenew23 said:

     And the fact they liked Goff tells me all I need to know about their ability to evaluate QBs.

    Right, the names of Wentz, Prescott, and Watson come to mind.

    But hey...we'll spend a 2nd and 3rd on Andy Dalton's backup!

    Great analytics.

  • I think someone has posted it somewhere: they haven't really TRIED to get the franchise QB yet.

    It is an interesting move since it is the hardest position to address, so if everytime you go to the draft, you draft one, but not in the first round, it's like stating that you obviously need a quaterback, while you don't take risks and gain some time. I was really glad they took Kizer in the 2nd round, because he was by some of the analysts I follow the top prospect, and you take him with your 4th pick, not putting so much pressure neither on him or on you (FO). If the QBs you draft don't make it, well, they're lower rounds. If they work out, you're a genius.

    Anyway, the time to pass on QBs has gone. They have to take one in the first round (whether Kizer improves or not) and having someone such as Manning in the building as a consultant would be great.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @nero said:

    I think someone has posted it somewhere: they haven't really TRIED to get the franchise QB yet.

    It is an interesting move since it is the hardest position to address, so if everytime you go to the draft, you draft one, but not in the first round, it's like stating that you obviously need a quaterback, while you don't take risks and gain some time. I was really glad they took Kizer in the 2nd round, because he was by some of the analysts I follow the top prospect, and you take him with your 4th pick, not putting so much pressure neither on him or on you (FO). If the QBs you draft don't make it, well, they're lower rounds. If they work out, you're a genius.

    Anyway, the time to pass on QBs has gone. They have to take one in the first round (whether Kizer improves or not) and having someone such as Manning in the building as a consultant would be great.

    I'm liking you more with every post... Here's to an NFL game in Madrid before decade's end!

    My old saying has been, "You are always looking for your next QB." Only thing that changes is the urgency of the search and price you are willing to pay. Too often we have had panicked "football guys" fearful for their jobs reach for the Weedens (a/k/a Wheezies) and JFFs of the draft... and it's killed this franchise.

    At the time I thought Kizer was the value QB pick of the first two rounds... and his value was only exceeded in the entire draft by Mr. Irrelevant 2017, Chad Kelly, my super sleeper, who has a real shot at being a star if he can keep his Sheet together. I had to drop the value of my 2017 Darkhorse, C.J. Beathard, who I thought was over-drafted in R3 by the 49ers, but he has won their starting job for now, so maybe he will end up worth the price they paid.

    Agree the clock is rapidly running out to be sure enough on Kizer to declare him "the guy", but the draft is another issue entirely. And this is where we part ways in this exchange.

    We can't go into the draft saying "we have to" and then take the QB we feel has the best shot at making it. We have to believe such a high pick will make it... or else it's just another panic move by a FO.

  • @nero said:

    I think someone has posted it somewhere: they haven't really TRIED to get the franchise QB yet.

    It is an interesting move since it is the hardest position to address, so if everytime you go to the draft, you draft one, but not in the first round, it's like stating that you obviously need a quaterback, while you don't take risks and gain some time. I was really glad they took Kizer in the 2nd round, because he was by some of the analysts I follow the top prospect, and you take him with your 4th pick, not putting so much pressure neither on him or on you (FO). If the QBs you draft don't make it, well, they're lower rounds. If they work out, you're a genius.

    Anyway, the time to pass on QBs has gone. They have to take one in the first round (whether Kizer improves or not) and having someone such as Manning in the building as a consultant would be great.

    I'm liking you more with every post... Here's to an NFL game in Madrid before decade's end!

    My old saying has been, "You are always looking for your next QB." Only thing that changes is the urgency of the search and price you are willing to pay. Too often we have had panicked "football guys" fearful for their jobs reach for the Weedens (a/k/a Wheezies) and JFFs of the draft... and it's killed this franchise.

    At the time I thought Kizer was the value QB pick of the first two rounds... and his value was only exceeded in the entire draft by Mr. Irrelevant 2017, Chad Kelly, my super sleeper, who has a real shot at being a star if he can keep his Sheet together. I had to drop the value of my 2017 Darkhorse, C.J. Beathard, who I thought was over-drafted in R3 by the 49ers, but he has won their starting job for now, so maybe he will end up worth the price they paid.

    Agree the clock is rapidly running out to be sure enough on Kizer to declare him "the guy", but the draft is another issue entirely. And this is where we part ways in this exchange.

    We can't go into the draft saying "we have to" and then take the QB we feel has the best shot at making it. We have to believe such a high pick will make it... or else it's just another panic move by a FO.

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    I'm liking you more with every post... Here's to an NFL game in Madrid before decade's end!

    My old saying has been, "You are always looking for your next QB." Only thing that changes is the urgency of the search and price you are willing to pay. Too often we have had panicked "football guys" fearful for their jobs reach for the Weedens (a/k/a Wheezies) and JFFs of the draft... and it's killed this franchise.

    At the time I thought Kizer was the value QB pick of the first two rounds... and his value was only exceeded in the entire draft by Mr. Irrelevant 2017, Chad Kelly, my super sleeper, who has a real shot at being a star if he can keep his Sheet together. I had to drop the value of my 2017 Darkhorse, C.J. Beathard, who I thought was over-drafted in R3 by the 49ers, but he has won their starting job for now, so maybe he will end up worth the price they paid.

    Agree the clock is rapidly running out to be sure enough on Kizer to declare him "the guy", but the draft is another issue entirely. And this is where we part ways in this exchange.

    We can't go into the draft saying "we have to" and then take the QB we feel has the best shot at making it. We have to believe such a high pick will make it... or else it's just another panic move by a FO.

    on November 8, Nero said in 'Two Picks in the Top Ten'...

    <<I think it is more difficult to fit a rookie QB in a NFL team and make an impact in the first year if everything around him doesn't work well. I believe college QBs are less and less prepared to play in pro level with the systems they run on college. At least in their first year. Wentz didn't have a great rookie year with the drop circus he had around him last year, and Watson has played at an oustanding level in an offense which for years has only lacked a QB.

    Will we see one of those top draft picks traded for a veteran QB? For me the clever move would be creating the least QB dependable team possible. Strong run game, stout defense. 20 years with no franchise quaterback and after two drafts drafting QBs in 3rd and 2nd round you wanna give a shoot in the first at the probably one draft you have left? Risky business...>>

    Well, I have my doubts on what should be the move in the draft.

    On the one side, if Coleman and Gordon play to what's expected of them (a game changer in Gordon's case), and Kizer improves greatly, it will be a matter of adding a WR and maybe a RB to get the attack going. You don't waste a pick in a QB because you already have one that could work, and that pick is used to fill other holes this roster still has.

    But on the other side, I would also like to have a top QB prospect, due to some reasons:

    A, you get more chances to get a franchise QB if you multiply the choices every year, not going 1 QB per year, because if the one you chose he doesn't work, you're doomed. I'm up for a fight for the spot between to young QBs or maybe even a veteran.

    B, if Kizer improves in this season, and you make the choice not to draft a QB in the top of the draft in a 'good QB year', you're setting up yourself in a bad position. I mean, everyone in the league already thinks that this process is set up for failure, and there are many fans even in this very board that think the same, how long will it take for the Haslams to think it too and shut down everything? If you draft a QB in the top of the draft, and it doesn't work as planned (with the rookie or with Kizer) at least you can defend yourself saying that you TRIED and did what the rest of the league thought was logical. It's like taking Garrett this year, if he doesn't pan out as a great pass rusher, well THE WHOLE LEAGUE was wrong, and you cannot be blamed if he ends up being a bust, because everyone else would have made the same move.

    I guess that I will see everything more clearly as the draft comes closer, and it is funny that though this season is already 'lost', the end of the season is of the utmost importance for the future of this team.

    About the game in Madrid, heh, I don't see that happening. Maybe Germany, there's a good fanbade there.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by

    Another European on the board is welcome news and especially one with such stout judgement as shown so far! Now, if you're a Real fan from Madrid lets talk about that Champions League game at Wembley the other week because boy, WE KICKED YOUR ARSES 😁