Skip to content

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

The Browns Board
3.1k 65 181.7k 2
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Don Papa Rum

    From the Phillipines.

    Now that one looks very interesting. Good sipping rum?

    EDIT: To each his own. Some love it and some despise it.

    https://www.rumratings.com/brands/1052-don-papa-small-batch

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    FIlipino rum tastes different.  I've had it and it is pretty good.  What rum do you recommend?  How much is it?  And where can I buy it.  The Coast Guard Exchange here has a huge liquor section and sells all kinds of whiskey/Rum/Vodka, wine etc.  No tax either.

  • FIlipino rum tastes different.  I've had it and it is pretty good.  What rum do you recommend?  How much is it?  And where can I buy it.  The Coast Guard Exchange here has a huge liquor section and sells all kinds of whiskey/Rum/Vodka, wine etc.  No tax either.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    FIlipino rum tastes different.  I've had it and it is pretty good.  What rum do you recommend?  How much is it?  And where can I buy it.  The Coast Guard Exchange here has a huge liquor section and sells all kinds of whiskey/Rum/Vodka, wine etc.  No tax either.

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    FIlipino rum tastes different.  I've had it and it is pretty good.  What rum do you recommend?  How much is it?  And where can I buy it.  The Coast Guard Exchange here has a huge liquor section and sells all kinds of whiskey/Rum/Vodka, wine etc.  No tax either.

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @texasag1969 said:

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

    Then what was the deal on Goslings?  Something to get smashed on? May as well drink Meyers or Bacardi. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

    Then what was the deal on Goslings?  Something to get smashed on? May as well drink Meyers or Bacardi. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Then what was the deal on Goslings?  Something to get smashed on? May as well drink Meyers or Bacardi. 

    Think of it this way Larry, Goslings is to Diplomatico like cooking sherry is to Bordeaux. I was using it as a flavor additive to food above and as a decent rum for Cuba Libre (rum and coke with lime) while cooking. It's not a sipper for sure.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    I ate a cookie during the game last night.  Chocolate Chip.

  • I ate a cookie during the game last night.  Chocolate Chip.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    I ate a cookie during the game last night.  Chocolate Chip.

    Glad to see you're moving up in the culinary world there Gip. Dunk or no dunk?

    I had fettuccine alfredo. 😉

  • @the-gipper said:

    I ate a cookie during the game last night.  Chocolate Chip.

    Glad to see you're moving up in the culinary world there Gip. Dunk or no dunk?

    I had fettuccine alfredo. 😉

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Glad to see you're moving up in the culinary world there Gip. Dunk or no dunk?

    I had fettuccine alfredo. 😉

    Some day I may graduate to potato chips.

    Actually, because the game started so late, not til 8:20 pm, I had eaten dinner much earlier

  • @mjp28 said:

    Glad to see you're moving up in the culinary world there Gip. Dunk or no dunk?

    I had fettuccine alfredo. 😉

    Some day I may graduate to potato chips.

    Actually, because the game started so late, not til 8:20 pm, I had eaten dinner much earlier

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-gipper said:

    Some day I may graduate to potato chips.

    Actually, because the game started so late, not til 8:20 pm, I had eaten dinner much earlier

    Potato chips are my one true weakness, I can polish off a half a bag like nothing......we started getting boxes of the assortments of 1 oz. bags of chips, doritos, etc. for snacks only about 160 calories each and relatively cheap.

    I have a bad habit of eating lunch and a late dinner especially  since my wife retired. And GAMEDAY eating is whenever!

  • @the-gipper said:

    I ate a cookie during the game last night.  Chocolate Chip.

    Glad to see you're moving up in the culinary world there Gip. Dunk or no dunk?

    I had fettuccine alfredo. 😉

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Glad to see you're moving up in the culinary world there Gip. Dunk or no dunk?

    I had fettuccine alfredo. 😉

    I had a grossly overpriced hamburger (supposedly kobe beef) and onion straws at the Dayton Racquet Club. I don't pass up the opportunity though. One of our Wine group has a membership, and it's great ambiance to get together with the guys and watch on the widescreen. On the top (29th) floor of the biggest building in town, with a commanding view in all directions. And no hassles about bringing in your own wines, of which there were plenty of very good ones. 🙂

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    FIlipino rum tastes different.  I've had it and it is pretty good.  What rum do you recommend?  How much is it?  And where can I buy it.  The Coast Guard Exchange here has a huge liquor section and sells all kinds of whiskey/Rum/Vodka, wine etc.  No tax either.

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan

    @texasag1969 said:

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

    Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    How much exactly does a grossly overpriced burger cost? 

    One 6 ounce burger, side of onion straws, one scoop of ice cream. 20% "service charge" + small optional tip = $32. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

    Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

    Ag & me will tell you it's a sipping rum, really smooth. Doing a shot of it or mixing it is a waste. Rum and coke? Use Bacardi or something similar. Good price BTW.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    I'll just sip the shot. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    How much exactly does a grossly overpriced burger cost? 

    One 6 ounce burger, side of onion straws, one scoop of ice cream. 20% "service charge" + small optional tip = $32. 

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    One 6 ounce burger, side of onion straws, one scoop of ice cream. 20% "service charge" + small optional tip = $32. 

    My daughter visited and brought over some Allen Brothers Prime hamburgers (6 oz each).  They were really good.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Sweet Jesus, you weren't kidding. 

    Regarding food charges at the Racquet Club-  you pay for the view- and the exorbitant rent they're probably paying for the top floor. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

    Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

    It's best either straight or on the rocks if you want more of the pure flavors it carries. Sip slowly and try to identify those flavors from front to back of the mouth. I like to sniff it a bit too. I have never mixed it, nor have I ever even diluted it with rocks. And I take about a shot and a half and sip it slowly while reading so it lasts a good half hour or so. It's definitely a sipping rum more than a mixing rum.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

    Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

    Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

    Rum, whiskey, scotch, etc......NEVER mix the good stuff!...EVER!!!

    Mike

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Just got my bottle.  Only one they had so I lucked out.  Cost 28.00 at the CGX.  Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva with a picture of Ron Antiguo on it.  So do you mix it with coke or just straight?  Not going to drink a lot at one time.  May be a shot on opening day.

    Rum, whiskey, scotch, etc......NEVER mix the good stuff!...EVER!!!

    Mike

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    Rum, whiskey, scotch, etc......NEVER mix the good stuff!...EVER!!!

    Mike

    Words of wisdom, enjoy while you're watching the BROWNS games or whatever. 

    Do you guys ever use those fake reusable ice cubes for cooling drinks? What temperature do you like your sipping whiskey or other spirits?

  • @canton-mike said:

    Rum, whiskey, scotch, etc......NEVER mix the good stuff!...EVER!!!

    Mike

    Words of wisdom, enjoy while you're watching the BROWNS games or whatever. 

    Do you guys ever use those fake reusable ice cubes for cooling drinks? What temperature do you like your sipping whiskey or other spirits?

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Words of wisdom, enjoy while you're watching the BROWNS games or whatever. 

    Do you guys ever use those fake reusable ice cubes for cooling drinks? What temperature do you like your sipping whiskey or other spirits?

    Anymore, I'm a beer guy. I do have a set of Browns' shot glasses surrounding a 5th of Bushmills Irish Whiskey that will get a workout with the first win.

    I have never even looked at fake ice cubes & I'm not "techie" enough to worry about temperature. IF I have ice, it's 2 small cubes in about 3 shots of whiskey.

    When we beat the Steelers, it's a shot of Bushmills chased with an Old Leghumper porter.

    Mike