Skip to content

Keep it up, brownies

The Browns Board
52 21 1.3k 1
  • @ghoolie said:

    You have never been subject to a Ghoolie Blast, have you? Whattaya think guys............should I let him have it?

    One Trump in international relations has done enough damage already thank you.😛

    @texasag1969 said:

    One Trump in international relations has done enough damage already thank you.😛

    LMAO......man, I have a lot of tasteless Spaniard material, too.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    One Trump in international relations has done enough damage already thank you.😛

    LMAO......man, I have a lot of tasteless Spaniard material, too.

    @ghoolie said:

    LMAO......man, I have a lot of tasteless Spaniard material, too.

    What? You mean you haven't yet gotten over that whole Armada thing?

  • @ghoolie said:

    LMAO......man, I have a lot of tasteless Spaniard material, too.

    What? You mean you haven't yet gotten over that whole Armada thing?

    @the-gipper said:

    What? You mean you haven't yet gotten over that whole Armada thing?

    LOL. Running of the BULLSCHIDT.

  • What is all this about?

  • What is all this about?

    @nero said:

    What is all this about?

    Catchup, Baby Tomato.

  • What is all this about?

    @nero said:

    What is all this about?

    Don't tempt the Ghoolie Nero.😁

  • Welcome to the board , Nero... I hope we haven't scared you off yet...

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Nero I'm not computer literate enough to convert to the Spanish keyboard containing nyay, accent marks, etc., but I just returned from a Trip to Spain where we stayed at various paradores in Guadalupe, Caceres, Ciudad Rodrigo and Toledo along with 4 more nights in the heart of Madrid near The Prado. My half century old Venezuelan Spanish returned more and more each day as old neurons in this 70 year old brain came back to life after disuse other than a couple of trips to Mexico 20 years apart and one to Barcelona for a few days about 6 years ago. At any rate Bienvenido Amigo!!

    I've been to al those cities but Toledo. They're really beautiful. And it's funny with languages how some of it stucks in the back of your mind no matter how long you haven't practised it.

    @nero said:

    I've been to al those cities but Toledo. They're really beautiful. And it's funny with languages how some of it stucks in the back of your mind no matter how long you haven't practised it.

    Yes, I studied Spanish many years ago in school but had no chance to use it and I forgot most of it.  But a few things remain, such as asking "Donde esta el bano?" as well as rough/bad translations I made of songs for practice, such as "Billy Jean no es mi amante, es una chica que dice 'Soy el uno', pero el nino no es mi hijo."

    Anyway, welcome    o/

  • "Donde esta el bano?" 

    Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

    And a room in the hotel was not el cuarto, but la habitacion (accent on the o).

  • "Donde esta el bano?" 

    Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

    And a room in the hotel was not el cuarto, but la habitacion (accent on the o).

    @texasag1969 said:

    "Donde esta el bano?" 

    Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

    And a room in the hotel was not el cuarto, but la habitacion (accent on the o).

    I would imagine that the Spanish spoken in South America would be different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico, which would be different than the Spanish in Puerto Rico, which would be different than what is actually spoken in Spain, yes?

    I've always heard that, for example, a Northern Italian and a Southern Italian might struggle understanding each other.

  • "Donde esta el bano?" 

    Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

    And a room in the hotel was not el cuarto, but la habitacion (accent on the o).

    @texasag1969 said:

    "Donde esta el bano?" 

    Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

    And a room in the hotel was not el cuarto, but la habitacion (accent on the o).

    In Spain it would be: dónde está el baño? Or 'aseo/servicio' in a more formal context. I've never seen 'área de aseo'.

    With the hotel room would be 'habitación', indeed. I find it that Spanish has many more words to describe things than other languages, so we can actually understand what you mean by 'cuarto', but it is used in really informal manner "mi cuarto, my bedroom" or to describe small or technical rooms "cuarto de limpieza, cuarto de contadores. Janitor's room, meter boxes' room." Habitación is used for bedrooms and well, in a hotel you have a bed in your room 😉

    @dutch-oven said:

    I would imagine that the Spanish spoken in South America would be different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico, which would be different than the Spanish in Puerto Rico, which would be different than what is actually spoken in Spain, yes?

    I've always heard that, for example, a Northern Italian and a Southern Italian might struggle understanding each other.

    Well, you're right, it is very different. I would say it has more to do with the accent and vocabulary. 

    For example, structure is still the same in different places, but you may have to 'make you ear' to the different accent and adapt your vocabulary.

    A typical funny one is in Spain 'coger' means 'pick up (sth)' whereas in South America it is almost exclusively means 'to f*ck'.

    Anyway, the most difficult ones to understand can be the Hispanic living in the States as their original Spanish deteriorates and gets mixed up with American English, which they use more.

    **Heads up** If you don't have the Ñ, a method which is usually used is to substitute it by 'NY'. like 'donde esta el banyo' 'Espanya' The Ñ sound is precisely form from the contraction between the N and the Y (or I, in Spanish they're the same)

    And thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

  • In Costa Rica we use "vos" for "you," which is infinitely better than tu, though you have to learn an entirely different conjugation system. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    "Donde esta el bano?" 

    Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

    And a room in the hotel was not el cuarto, but la habitacion (accent on the o).

    In Spain it would be: dónde está el baño? Or 'aseo/servicio' in a more formal context. I've never seen 'área de aseo'.

    With the hotel room would be 'habitación', indeed. I find it that Spanish has many more words to describe things than other languages, so we can actually understand what you mean by 'cuarto', but it is used in really informal manner "mi cuarto, my bedroom" or to describe small or technical rooms "cuarto de limpieza, cuarto de contadores. Janitor's room, meter boxes' room." Habitación is used for bedrooms and well, in a hotel you have a bed in your room 😉

    @dutch-oven said:

    I would imagine that the Spanish spoken in South America would be different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico, which would be different than the Spanish in Puerto Rico, which would be different than what is actually spoken in Spain, yes?

    I've always heard that, for example, a Northern Italian and a Southern Italian might struggle understanding each other.

    Well, you're right, it is very different. I would say it has more to do with the accent and vocabulary. 

    For example, structure is still the same in different places, but you may have to 'make you ear' to the different accent and adapt your vocabulary.

    A typical funny one is in Spain 'coger' means 'pick up (sth)' whereas in South America it is almost exclusively means 'to f*ck'.

    Anyway, the most difficult ones to understand can be the Hispanic living in the States as their original Spanish deteriorates and gets mixed up with American English, which they use more.

    **Heads up** If you don't have the Ñ, a method which is usually used is to substitute it by 'NY'. like 'donde esta el banyo' 'Espanya' The Ñ sound is precisely form from the contraction between the N and the Y (or I, in Spanish they're the same)

    And thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

    @nero said:

    A typical funny one is in Spain 'coger' means 'pick up (sth)' whereas in South America it is almost exclusively means 'to f*ck'.

    Yessir and "coge tu madre" does not mean pick her up either, but you can recoger (pick up).

  • The Spanish taught in textbooks (used to be) very formal and based on a particular region of Spain. It's like being taught English with a particular British dialect in a formal tone.

  • The Spanish taught in textbooks (used to be) very formal and based on a particular region of Spain. It's like being taught English with a particular British dialect in a formal tone.

    @tinythinker said:

    The Spanish taught in textbooks (used to be) very formal and based on a particular region of Spain. It's like being taught English with a particular British dialect in a formal tone.

    Well, I haven't seen those books, but I bet is from Castile. In Spain we often say "castellano" instead of "español". 

    Spanish is the mother tongue of many different countries, so there's an Academy trying to keep track with all the slangs and words used everywhere.

    Anyway, everytime I find something interesting or different from people from other places (say Venezuela, or even Andalucía) I usually tell the same joke: 'we gave you a language, and see how you're messing it up!'

  • Welcome to the Board, Nero!

    You’re gonna have to wade through some  trash here, but these guys know their god damn football.  I’m more of a two-ears-one-mouth kinda guy... I don’t post often, but I read all the time.  

    Browns Board is one of my favourite places on the internet.  I hope you enjoy it like I do.

  • The Spanish taught in textbooks (used to be) very formal and based on a particular region of Spain. It's like being taught English with a particular British dialect in a formal tone.

    @tinythinker said:

    The Spanish taught in textbooks (used to be) very formal and based on a particular region of Spain. It's like being taught English with a particular British dialect in a formal tone.

    Yeah, to those of us that learned Castilian Spanish (in my case a long time ago) some of the Mayan words that crept into Mexican Spanish like "Ixtapa" are tongue twisters. My listening and speaking is pretty well shot, but I can still hack my way through a newspaper.

    & Welcome Nero. 🙂

  • @tinythinker said:

    The Spanish taught in textbooks (used to be) very formal and based on a particular region of Spain. It's like being taught English with a particular British dialect in a formal tone.

    Well, I haven't seen those books, but I bet is from Castile. In Spain we often say "castellano" instead of "español". 

    Spanish is the mother tongue of many different countries, so there's an Academy trying to keep track with all the slangs and words used everywhere.

    Anyway, everytime I find something interesting or different from people from other places (say Venezuela, or even Andalucía) I usually tell the same joke: 'we gave you a language, and see how you're messing it up!'

    @nero said:

     I usually tell the same joke: 'we gave you a language, and see how you're messing it up!'

    Now that  is my area of expertise.😁

    Some tex-mex, some Mexicano, a lot of Venezolano and some second hand Castellano through a kindly housekeeper/cook named Lira. Throw in the American television shows in Caracas dubbed  in Spanish and Viola, TexAg1969 Spanish that's 50+ years out of date.😆

    I think we'd have an amusing conversation Nero. Folks in Akumal, Mexico in Jan. and Madrid last month seemed to think so.😁

  • @nero said:

     I usually tell the same joke: 'we gave you a language, and see how you're messing it up!'

    Now that  is my area of expertise.😁

    Some tex-mex, some Mexicano, a lot of Venezolano and some second hand Castellano through a kindly housekeeper/cook named Lira. Throw in the American television shows in Caracas dubbed  in Spanish and Viola, TexAg1969 Spanish that's 50+ years out of date.😆

    I think we'd have an amusing conversation Nero. Folks in Akumal, Mexico in Jan. and Madrid last month seemed to think so.😁

    @texasag1969 said:

    Now that  is my area of expertise.😁

    Some tex-mex, some Mexicano, a lot of Venezolano and some second hand Castellano through a kindly housekeeper/cook named Lira. Throw in the American television shows in Caracas dubbed  in Spanish and Viola, TexAg1969 Spanish that's 50+ years out of date.😆

    I think we'd have an amusing conversation Nero. Folks in Akumal, Mexico in Jan. and Madrid last month seemed to think so.😁

    LOL that's for sure hahahahaha.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    "Donde esta el bano?" 

    Well that's what it is in Venezuela (with the nyay), but in Spain I found it was area de aseo. Or something similar.

    And a room in the hotel was not el cuarto, but la habitacion (accent on the o).

    I would imagine that the Spanish spoken in South America would be different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico, which would be different than the Spanish in Puerto Rico, which would be different than what is actually spoken in Spain, yes?

    I've always heard that, for example, a Northern Italian and a Southern Italian might struggle understanding each other.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I would imagine that the Spanish spoken in South America would be different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico, which would be different than the Spanish in Puerto Rico, which would be different than what is actually spoken in Spain, yes?

    I've always heard that, for example, a Northern Italian and a Southern Italian might struggle understanding each other.

    Hell, l have a hard time with some English accents. You ever watch an old Beatles movie? Slow it down Ringo!