What a 6th Grader Thinks About The Browns
-
Ah Grgich Hills! Got a really excellent 2001 stashed in my wine refrigerator. Took my Mom on a tasting tour there and she was just going bananas over it until I told her the cost. She asked me who in their right mind would pay that kind of money even for a wine that good. She almost choked when I told her I had just bought a bottle. Of course she was a child of the depression and always squeezed Lincoln half blind every time she let go of a penny, so there's that.

I'll check out 3H. Thanks for the tip.
I'll ditto what Tour said about the H3. Horse Heaven Hills. A bunch of Washington State wines are great values. Columbia Crest is a great bang for the buck. Sadly, Chateau St. Michelle downgraded the Indian Wells Vineyard merlot to just "Indian Wells" not the same stuff, and a step down, though it's still pretty good wine. Regarding Grgich, on my one trip to Napa, who walks in the tasting room but Mike Grgich. Everyone in the room started grabbing bottles and asked him to autograph them. I still have an empty in my memorabilia collection in the cellar.
 Â
For you non-winos, it would be the equivalent of LeBron walking into the team shop. Â
I'll ditto what Tour said about the H3. Horse Heaven Hills. A bunch of Washington State wines are great values. Columbia Crest is a great bang for the buck. Sadly, Chateau St. Michelle downgraded the Indian Wells Vineyard merlot to just "Indian Wells" not the same stuff, and a step down, though it's still pretty good wine. Regarding Grgich, on my one trip to Napa, who walks in the tasting room but Mike Grgich. Everyone in the room started grabbing bottles and asked him to autograph them. I still have an empty in my memorabilia collection in the cellar.
 Â
I didn't have sense enough to get him to autograph the bottle he sold me. But he did spend time with my Mom telling her about the history of his vineyard. Nice guy.
Larry I edited my prior post with a little sidenote.
-
I'll ditto what Tour said about the H3. Horse Heaven Hills. A bunch of Washington State wines are great values. Columbia Crest is a great bang for the buck. Sadly, Chateau St. Michelle downgraded the Indian Wells Vineyard merlot to just "Indian Wells" not the same stuff, and a step down, though it's still pretty good wine. Regarding Grgich, on my one trip to Napa, who walks in the tasting room but Mike Grgich. Everyone in the room started grabbing bottles and asked him to autograph them. I still have an empty in my memorabilia collection in the cellar.
 Â
I didn't have sense enough to get him to autograph the bottle he sold me. But he did spend time with my Mom telling her about the history of his vineyard. Nice guy.
Larry I edited my prior post with a little sidenote.
I didn't have sense enough to get him to autograph the bottle he sold me. But he did spend time with my Mom telling her about the history of his vineyard. Nice guy.
Larry I edited my prior post with a little sidenote.
& I'll edit my original post.Â
 Â
-
I didn't have sense enough to get him to autograph the bottle he sold me. But he did spend time with my Mom telling her about the history of his vineyard. Nice guy.
Larry I edited my prior post with a little sidenote.
& I'll edit my original post.Â
 Â
-
Found this little wine when touring Napa one year. You don't even have to buy the upper end one since it won a double gold one year in the San F. Wine contest.
Honig Cabernet Sauvignon. Very, very good with a fine filet or t-bone. You can read some of the reviews in the link. They are spot on.
I've had Honig... very nice at a middling price point... mid-30-ish IIRC. Splurged a tad more on Grgich a couple times... really good stuff. Went bonkers in Napa and bought a Grgich Reerve that was lights out... and should have been for the price.
My everyday, high-value cab has moved to H3, a/k/a Horse Haven Hills, recently. Its current vintage is running really strong. At ~$13 a bottle it's very hard to beat.
I've had Honig... very nice at a middling price point... mid-30-ish IIRC. Splurged a tad more on Grgich a couple times... really good stuff. Went bonkers in Napa and bought a Grgich Reerve that was lights out... and should have been for the price.
My everyday, high-value cab has moved to H3, a/k/a Horse Haven Hills, recently. Its current vintage is running really strong. At ~$13 a bottle it's very hard to beat.
One of My fave Cabs is Black Opal,, Also.. I ran into a Merlot at Giant Eagle called Dracula,, it was only 4 bucks and it was quite good...
-
-
I'm going to borrow a corner of WSS' Movie section for wine thread...
EDIT: ... and done....
-
Found this little wine when touring Napa one year. You don't even have to buy the upper end one since it won a double gold one year in the San F. Wine contest.
Honig Cabernet Sauvignon. Very, very good with a fine filet or t-bone. You can read some of the reviews in the link. They are spot on.
Found this little wine when touring Napa one year. You don't even have to buy the upper end one since it won a double gold one year in the San F. Wine contest.
Honig Cabernet Sauvignon. Very, very good with a fine filet or t-bone. You can read some of the reviews in the link. They are spot on.
I will be spending a week next spring in Napa. Â Have to revisit this stuff once we get closer to that time.
-
What were the chances that the two guys in Texas who drink wine ended up on the same message board?

What were the chances that the two guys in Texas who drink wine ended up on the same message board?

Check out the Barber Shop. Â I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions. Â If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country. Â In no particular order:
Napa/Sonoma of course.
Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)
Washington Columbia Valley
Oregon Willamette Valley
The Finger Lakes, Â New York
Ohio, along Lake Erie
Central Virginia
Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)
Shawnee Hills, Illinois
Texas Hill Country
Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it. Â But I think this is fairly accurate.Â
-
What were the chances that the two guys in Texas who drink wine ended up on the same message board?

Check out the Barber Shop. Â I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions. Â If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country. Â In no particular order:
Napa/Sonoma of course.
Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)
Washington Columbia Valley
Oregon Willamette Valley
The Finger Lakes, Â New York
Ohio, along Lake Erie
Central Virginia
Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)
Shawnee Hills, Illinois
Texas Hill Country
Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it. Â But I think this is fairly accurate.Â
Check out the Barber Shop. Â I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions. Â If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country. Â In no particular order:
Napa/Sonoma of course.
Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)
Washington Columbia Valley
Oregon Willamette Valley
The Finger Lakes, Â New York
Ohio, along Lake Erie
Central Virginia
Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)
Shawnee Hills, Illinois
Texas Hill Country
Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it. Â But I think this is fairly accurate.Â
If you're talking production, probably accurate. I've said for a long time Washington has the potential to surpass Napa. They grow great fruit there, Ranier cherries and apples. And grapes LOL.Â
-
Check out the Barber Shop. Â I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions. Â If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country. Â In no particular order:
Napa/Sonoma of course.
Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)
Washington Columbia Valley
Oregon Willamette Valley
The Finger Lakes, Â New York
Ohio, along Lake Erie
Central Virginia
Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)
Shawnee Hills, Illinois
Texas Hill Country
Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it. Â But I think this is fairly accurate.Â
If you're talking production, probably accurate. I've said for a long time Washington has the potential to surpass Napa. They grow great fruit there, Ranier cherries and apples. And grapes LOL.Â
If you're talking production, probably accurate. I've said for a long time Washington has the potential to surpass Napa. They grow great fruit there, Ranier cherries and apples. And grapes LOL.Â
Well....I mean.....yes there is a  difference between quality and quantity.  I assume for an area to be listed in the "Top Ten Wine producing areas"  that there would have to be a bit of both.  What is your view on the "quality" issue amongst wine growing regions?
-
If you're talking production, probably accurate. I've said for a long time Washington has the potential to surpass Napa. They grow great fruit there, Ranier cherries and apples. And grapes LOL.Â
Well....I mean.....yes there is a  difference between quality and quantity.  I assume for an area to be listed in the "Top Ten Wine producing areas"  that there would have to be a bit of both.  What is your view on the "quality" issue amongst wine growing regions?
Well....I mean.....yes there is a  difference between quality and quantity.  I assume for an area to be listed in the "Top Ten Wine producing areas"  that there would have to be a bit of both.  What is your view on the "quality" issue amongst wine growing regions?
Probably in the order you listed, Might move Texas up a couple of spots. The bottom 4 have little availability in Ohio. I'd suppose the same would be true of Ohio wines outside of Ohio.Â
-
Found this little wine when touring Napa one year. You don't even have to buy the upper end one since it won a double gold one year in the San F. Wine contest.
Honig Cabernet Sauvignon. Very, very good with a fine filet or t-bone. You can read some of the reviews in the link. They are spot on.
I will be spending a week next spring in Napa. Â Have to revisit this stuff once we get closer to that time.
I will be spending a week next spring in Napa. Â Have to revisit this stuff once we get closer to that time.
Download the last SF Competition and select a few to visit while there. Here are the Cab double golds, but you can go to any varietal and play with the website.
http://sfwinecomp.com/results/browse
EDIT: Go to "class" and it scrolls to reds, whites, etc, and under each are the varietals where you find the Cabs (or any other)..
EDIT #2: Now some did not even enter this year like Honig and Vine Cliff - both of which are in NAPA and both worth a visit for a taste.
A hidden jewel in Amador county E of Folsom is Deaver Vineyards who have excellent Zins, Ports and a really good Petite Sirah-bought a case there a few years back and have 3 left.
-
Big Ben Rapistberger now using âDilly Dillyâ in his cadence. . .
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article185173258.html
-
What were the chances that the two guys in Texas who drink wine ended up on the same message board?

Check out the Barber Shop. Â I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions. Â If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country. Â In no particular order:
Napa/Sonoma of course.
Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)
Washington Columbia Valley
Oregon Willamette Valley
The Finger Lakes, Â New York
Ohio, along Lake Erie
Central Virginia
Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)
Shawnee Hills, Illinois
Texas Hill Country
Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it. Â But I think this is fairly accurate.Â
Check out the Barber Shop. Â I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions. Â If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country. Â In no particular order:
Napa/Sonoma of course.
Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)
Washington Columbia Valley
Oregon Willamette Valley
The Finger Lakes, Â New York
Ohio, along Lake Erie
Central Virginia
Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)
Shawnee Hills, Illinois
Texas Hill Country
Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it. Â But I think this is fairly accurate.Â
Michigan also should be up there.. Mich and Ohio are famous for concord grapes.. I grew up in a house that was a grape storage house over 100 years ago in Euclid.. we still had concord grape vines growing over the fence.. But I never risked eating them because Linderme Tube Factory plant was behind our house and street... And they kept dumping oil and chemicals in the woods behind the fence... Linderme Tube is now a defunct plant..
-
Check out the Barber Shop. Â I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions. Â If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country. Â In no particular order:
Napa/Sonoma of course.
Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)
Washington Columbia Valley
Oregon Willamette Valley
The Finger Lakes, Â New York
Ohio, along Lake Erie
Central Virginia
Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)
Shawnee Hills, Illinois
Texas Hill Country
Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it. Â But I think this is fairly accurate.Â
Michigan also should be up there.. Mich and Ohio are famous for concord grapes.. I grew up in a house that was a grape storage house over 100 years ago in Euclid.. we still had concord grape vines growing over the fence.. But I never risked eating them because Linderme Tube Factory plant was behind our house and street... And they kept dumping oil and chemicals in the woods behind the fence... Linderme Tube is now a defunct plant..
Michigan also should be up there.. Mich and Ohio are famous for concord grapes.. I grew up in a house that was a grape storage house over 100 years ago in Euclid.. we still had concord grape vines growing over the fence.. But I never risked eating them because Linderme Tube Factory plant was behind our house and street... And they kept dumping oil and chemicals in the woods behind the fence... Linderme Tube is now a defunct plant..
Actually, I believe Michigan is more well known for their Cherry Wines from up around the Traverse City region. Â Again....defer to our expert: Hoorta.
-
Perfect wine that fits the Browns' fan's budget trying to cope with every week's disaster.
It's a fine little wine with subtle hints of blackberry pie, raspberry liquor and the deep fruity flavor of the finest Merlot from price competitor.....................................Mogen David.Â
Yep, I'm talking a less than $6 a bottle of Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot. Even your sweet tooth spouse can join you in the Pit of Misery. And the price is so low you can treat yourself to a consolation steak grilled on the Barbie or, if she's gone for the weekend, just consolation from Barbie.Wine snobs need not apply.


-
-
-
Perfect wine that fits the Browns' fan's budget trying to cope with every week's disaster.
It's a fine little wine with subtle hints of blackberry pie, raspberry liquor and the deep fruity flavor of the finest Merlot from price competitor.....................................Mogen David.Â
Yep, I'm talking a less than $6 a bottle of Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot. Even your sweet tooth spouse can join you in the Pit of Misery. And the price is so low you can treat yourself to a consolation steak grilled on the Barbie or, if she's gone for the weekend, just consolation from Barbie.Wine snobs need not apply.


Perfect wine that fits the Browns' fan's budget trying to cope with every week's disaster.
It's a fine little wine with subtle hints of blackberry pie, raspberry liquor and the deep fruity flavor of the finest Merlot from price competitor.....................................Mogen David.Â
Yep, I'm talking a less than $6 a bottle of Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot. Even your sweet tooth spouse can join you in the Pit of Misery. And the price is so low you can treat yourself to a consolation steak grilled on the Barbie or, if she's gone for the weekend, just consolation from Barbie.Wine snobs need not apply.


Dilly dilly!!!  This stuff might be OK too, though I doubt there's much real cherry in that offering at that price.... Â

While we're on the topic of cheap wine I give you this excerpt. Ag, I almost peed myself I was laughing so hard reading this review...  http://www.bumwine.com/tbird.html

"As pictured (above), look for the pigeon feces and you'll find this old bird.  As soon as you taste this swill, it will be obvious that its makers cut every corner possible in its production to make it cheap.  Self-proclaimed as "The American Classic,"  Thunderbird is Vinted and bottled by E&J Gallo Winery, in in Modesto, CA.  Disguised like Night Train, the label says that it is made by "Thunderbird, Ltd."  If your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you.  Or, if you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird.  As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower.  The undisputed leader of the five in foulness of flavor, we highly discourage drinking this ghastly mixture of unknown chemicals unless you really are a bum.  A convenience store clerk in Show Low, AZ once told me that only the oldest of stumbling indian drunks from the reservation buy Thunderbird.  Available in 750 mL and a devastating 50 oz jug."
-
LOL! Want a guess on who makes Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot?
You guessed correctly! Written right there in the fine print on the bottle.

But it does taste better than some Spanish sangrias I've had. Sorry Nero.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better ð
Register Login

