Skip to content

Should we draft a quarterback 1st overall?

The Browns Board
266 46 6.8k 1
  • Should we draft a quarterback 1st overall?

    calfoxwc replied to Louisville Slugger's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD

    ...and worse thanMayfield , and I wouldn't draftMayfield either. Character, love for the game, intangibles matter. and Rosen fails the grade.

  • Should we draft a quarterback 1st overall?

    calfoxwc replied to Louisville Slugger's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD

    CampMayfield

    calfoxwc replied to Adoug319's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD
    ...just saw thatMayfield has been stripped of his captionship of the team, and won't start the next game. Who knows, maybe he gets into the pros and does great, and grows up into a classy qb in the NFL. or not. The Browns already have another egg on their face with the JM experiment.....


    CampMayfield

    calfoxwc replied to Adoug319's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD
    ...Mayfield is popular bigtime like JM. He parties like JM. Wins games and has great stats like JM. And his behavior is sometimes very, very erratic. I personally don't want a qb that everybody hates, a qb that will eventually, maybe, encourage kids in sports to act out stupidly, etc....


    Darnold vs rosen

    calfoxwc replied to Clevfan4life's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD
    ...Rosen andmayfield can have a johnny manziel actlike contest...mayfield is ahead because of the trouble with booze.

        November 19 99 replies

    CampMayfield

    calfoxwc replied to Adoug319's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD
    ...As far as your lovefest withMayfield 's stats - take off your blinders.Mayfield has quite a cast of very good or excellent players around him. And,Mayfield didn't just get a DUI. He also left the scene of an accident, a FELONY. https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-baker-m...

        November 19 168 replies


    CampMayfield

    calfoxwc replied to Adoug319's topic in THE BROWNS BOARD
    ...andMayfield . He's very talented, but six foot tall, spread offense, and having faced a felony and misdemeanors after driving drunk at 3 AM in the morning, and now the crotch grabbing... no thanks. I think he's a rich alcoholic JM in the pros.Allen looks a lot better to me all the time.

        November 19 168 replies
            1

  • You've produced five instances of you talking about Mayfield, four of which were on the same thread. Trust me, the amount of pro-Allen/anti-Rosen posts DWARF these handful of Mayfield posts. You've pretty much become PoG-like in your obsession with posting about your undying love of Allen, and your hatred of Rosen.

    And like I've said before, and in fact BEFORE you started your tireless ripping of Rosen, his personality has been a topic of conversation for a while. In fact, I read something this summer about Rosen being compared personality-wise to Manziel. Trust me, this concerns me too...

    On-the-field, though, Rosen is laughably ahead of Allen.

  • Rosen is an outspoken trump critic? Thats news to me, anyone have a link? If its true, u wonder why he diesnt get along with his teammates

    @clevfan4life said:

    Rosen is an outspoken trump critic? Thats news to me, anyone have a link? If its true, u wonder why he diesnt get along with his teammates

    http://www.ocregister.com/2016/04/11/ucla-quarterback-josh-rosen-golfs-at-donald-trumps-golf-course-wearing-anti-trump-hat/

    I honestly get the impression that Rosen is very similar to Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer (despite polar opposite political views) - another kid from UCLA who is very opinionated, has a reputation as "difficult to coach", and does not seem to be one of those players super popular in the clubhouse at times.

  • You've produced five instances of you talking about Mayfield, four of which were on the same thread. Trust me, the amount of pro-Allen/anti-Rosen posts DWARF these handful of Mayfield posts. You've pretty much become PoG-like in your obsession with posting about your undying love of Allen, and your hatred of Rosen.

    And like I've said before, and in fact BEFORE you started your tireless ripping of Rosen, his personality has been a topic of conversation for a while. In fact, I read something this summer about Rosen being compared personality-wise to Manziel. Trust me, this concerns me too...

    On-the-field, though, Rosen is laughably ahead of Allen.

    @dutch-oven said:

    You've produced five instances of you talking about Mayfield, four of which were on the same thread. Trust me, the amount of pro-Allen/anti-Rosen posts DWARF these handful of Mayfield posts. You've pretty much become PoG-like in your obsession with posting about your undying love of Allen, and your hatred of Rosen.

    And like I've said before, and in fact BEFORE you started your tireless ripping of Rosen, his personality has been a topic of conversation for a while. In fact, I read something this summer about Rosen being compared personality-wise to Manziel. Trust me, this concerns me too...

    On-the-field, though, Rosen is laughably ahead of Allen.

    Yeah- is some of the off field background noise about Rosen or Mayfield a concern? Of course. The Browns (or any other team that thinks they have a shot at either) are going to do due diligence. Plenty of research, background checks, talking to teammates, coaches, etc. I've said it before too- interviews . 

    Hell's Bells, I posted it in the Gordon thread, if we're talking character and "intangibles" assuming due diligence- there's absolutely no way any NFL team would have drafted Josh- even as a supplemental 7th round pick. LOL, Heckert might have been high when he drafted him.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    You've produced five instances of you talking about Mayfield, four of which were on the same thread. Trust me, the amount of pro-Allen/anti-Rosen posts DWARF these handful of Mayfield posts. You've pretty much become PoG-like in your obsession with posting about your undying love of Allen, and your hatred of Rosen.

    And like I've said before, and in fact BEFORE you started your tireless ripping of Rosen, his personality has been a topic of conversation for a while. In fact, I read something this summer about Rosen being compared personality-wise to Manziel. Trust me, this concerns me too...

    On-the-field, though, Rosen is laughably ahead of Allen.

    Yeah- is some of the off field background noise about Rosen or Mayfield a concern? Of course. The Browns (or any other team that thinks they have a shot at either) are going to do due diligence. Plenty of research, background checks, talking to teammates, coaches, etc. I've said it before too- interviews . 

    Hell's Bells, I posted it in the Gordon thread, if we're talking character and "intangibles" assuming due diligence- there's absolutely no way any NFL team would have drafted Josh- even as a supplemental 7th round pick. LOL, Heckert might have been high when he drafted him.  

    @hoorta said:

    Yeah- is some of the off field background noise about Rosen or Mayfield a concern? Of course. The Browns (or any other team that thinks they have a shot at either) are going to do due diligence. Plenty of research, background checks, talking to teammates, coaches, etc. I've said it before too- interviews . 

    Hell's Bells, I posted it in the Gordon thread, if we're talking character and "intangibles" assuming due diligence- there's absolutely no way any NFL team would have drafted Josh- even as a supplemental 7th round pick. LOL, Heckert might have been high when he drafted him.  

    Didn't Heckert a few years ago get popped for a DUI? Hmmmm... 😆

  • @hoorta said:

    Yeah- is some of the off field background noise about Rosen or Mayfield a concern? Of course. The Browns (or any other team that thinks they have a shot at either) are going to do due diligence. Plenty of research, background checks, talking to teammates, coaches, etc. I've said it before too- interviews . 

    Hell's Bells, I posted it in the Gordon thread, if we're talking character and "intangibles" assuming due diligence- there's absolutely no way any NFL team would have drafted Josh- even as a supplemental 7th round pick. LOL, Heckert might have been high when he drafted him.  

    Didn't Heckert a few years ago get popped for a DUI? Hmmmm... 😆

    @dutch-oven said:

    Didn't Heckert a few years ago get popped for a DUI? Hmmmm... 😆

    Yes he did...   

  • I like Baker Mayfield, brings a lot of energy. 

    I would take Barkley #1 and maybe take Mayfield(if their isn't a WR or CB that is a gamechanger) with Houston's pick. 

    I would start Hogan, let Kizer back him up while grooming Mayfield or a year.

    Then If he takes the coaching and excels he would go to the #2 and challenge Hogan the following year for the start. 

  • Speaking of due diligence- Manziel had more obvious red flags than either Rosen or Mayfield, and what happened? We drafted him anyway. Hated the pick. There's a certain team down on the Ohio River that could care less about intangibles- as long as they know how to play football. Bar room brawlers, guys knocking women unconscious- doesn't matter. 

  • I like Baker Mayfield, brings a lot of energy. 

    I would take Barkley #1 and maybe take Mayfield(if their isn't a WR or CB that is a gamechanger) with Houston's pick. 

    I would start Hogan, let Kizer back him up while grooming Mayfield or a year.

    Then If he takes the coaching and excels he would go to the #2 and challenge Hogan the following year for the start. 

    @poeticg said:

    I like Baker Mayfield, brings a lot of energy. 

    I would take Barkley #1 and maybe take Mayfield(if their isn't a WR or CB that is a gamechanger) with Houston's pick. 

    I would start Hogan, let Kizer back him up while grooming Mayfield or a year.

    Then If he takes the coaching and excels he would go to the #2 and challenge Hogan the following year for the start. 

    You would use a top 10 overall pick on a QB when you've been telling us the Browns already have a franchise QB on their roster in Kevin Hogan?

    Even for you, this is epic troll-work.

  • I like Baker Mayfield, brings a lot of energy. 

    I would take Barkley #1 and maybe take Mayfield(if their isn't a WR or CB that is a gamechanger) with Houston's pick. 

    I would start Hogan, let Kizer back him up while grooming Mayfield or a year.

    Then If he takes the coaching and excels he would go to the #2 and challenge Hogan the following year for the start. 

    @poeticg said:

    I like Baker Mayfield, brings a lot of energy. 

    I would take Barkley #1 and maybe take Mayfield(if their isn't a WR or CB that is a gamechanger) with Houston's pick. 

    I would start Hogan, let Kizer back him up while grooming Mayfield or a year.

    Then If he takes the coaching and excels he would go to the #2 and challenge Hogan the following year for the start. 

    I could live with that PO (except the Hogan part). Depends where Houston's pick winds up at.  The Giants, Broncos, and Jets will all be in the market for aQB. 

    I think Tour's scenario is far more realistic. McCarron, Kizer, and (Mayfield or Rosen.)

  • Speaking of due diligence- Manziel had more obvious red flags than either Rosen or Mayfield, and what happened? We drafted him anyway. Hated the pick. There's a certain team down on the Ohio River that could care less about intangibles- as long as they know how to play football. Bar room brawlers, guys knocking women unconscious- doesn't matter. 

    @hoorta said:

    Speaking of due diligence- Manziel had more obvious red flags than either Rosen or Mayfield, and what happened? We drafted him anyway. Hated the pick. There's a certain team down on the Ohio River that could care less about intangibles- as long as they know how to play football. Bar room brawlers, guysknocking women unconsious- doesn't matter. 

    Manziel's dad went on record - BEFORE THE DRAFT - and told the world that his son "drinks to self-medicate".

    I would be curious to know who on this board were banging the "DRAFT JOHNNY FOOTBALL!" drum.

  • Hue is going to let the Bosaberg sink the Kitanic on Sunday. Then Hogan is going to hit Gordon for a TD and our first win! Can't wait to see this happen again! 

  • @hoorta said:

    Speaking of due diligence- Manziel had more obvious red flags than either Rosen or Mayfield, and what happened? We drafted him anyway. Hated the pick. There's a certain team down on the Ohio River that could care less about intangibles- as long as they know how to play football. Bar room brawlers, guysknocking women unconsious- doesn't matter. 

    Manziel's dad went on record - BEFORE THE DRAFT - and told the world that his son "drinks to self-medicate".

    I would be curious to know who on this board were banging the "DRAFT JOHNNY FOOTBALL!" drum.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Manziel's dad went on record - BEFORE THE DRAFT - and told the world that his son "drinks to self-medicate".

    I would be curious to know who on this board were banging the "DRAFT JOHNNY FOOTBALL!" drum.

    Maybe if you were here then you would know... but you just recently "rode in" on your drunk horse that you keep beating. 

  • Hue is going to let the Bosaberg sink the Kitanic on Sunday. Then Hogan is going to hit Gordon for a TD and our first win! Can't wait to see this happen again! 

    @poeticg said:

    Hue is going to let the Bosaberg sink the Kitanic on Sunday. Then Hogan is going to hit Gordon for a TD and our first win! Can't wait to see this happen again! 

    I think you're right about Kizer getting pummelled. If it makes you feel any better, in his interview Hue was "vague" on who the backup would be against the Chargers. FWIW, he got called out to his face by a reporter mentioning that except for his disaster against the Texans, Hogan has seriously outperformed Kessler. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Manziel's dad went on record - BEFORE THE DRAFT - and told the world that his son "drinks to self-medicate".

    I would be curious to know who on this board were banging the "DRAFT JOHNNY FOOTBALL!" drum.

    Maybe if you were here then you would know... but you just recently "rode in" on your drunk horse that you keep beating. 

    @poeticg said:

    Maybe if you were here then you would know... but you just recently "rode in" on your drunk horse that you keep beating. 

    Yep, you got me, my start date on here is later than yours.

    That's literally the only thing you have. Congrats.

  • @hoorta said:

    Speaking of due diligence- Manziel had more obvious red flags than either Rosen or Mayfield, and what happened? We drafted him anyway. Hated the pick. There's a certain team down on the Ohio River that could care less about intangibles- as long as they know how to play football. Bar room brawlers, guysknocking women unconsious- doesn't matter. 

    Manziel's dad went on record - BEFORE THE DRAFT - and told the world that his son "drinks to self-medicate".

    I would be curious to know who on this board were banging the "DRAFT JOHNNY FOOTBALL!" drum.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Manziel's dad went on record - BEFORE THE DRAFT - and told the world that his son "drinks to self-medicate".

    I would be curious to know who on this board were banging the "DRAFT JOHNNY FOOTBALL!" drum.

    Drinks to self medicate......sounds like my early college days. 😆

    And Johnny football, played professional football for beer money.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Meanwhile draft a QB #1, why? Well four plus months to ponder that one.

  • For me, it is great that the only thing that is 'keeping us' from being so enthusiast with some of this year prospects is character problems.

    I mean, when you have very attractive tangibles that you can check on tape, and they convince you early that someone is going to be a great QB, then yoi have plenty of time to do some research in those intangibles. We're starting December, by April the front office will have a complete profile of each prospect. The less things you have to check for (in this case character) the more accurate you can be choosing.

    And I wouldn't forget how many genius pricks are out there at the peak of their career in almost any area even leading teams.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It's so painfully obvious why cal has this raging hard-on for Rosen, waste a minute of your life by venturing over to the political forum to see for yourself. I can visualize him with his red MAGA hat angrily typing his "ROSEN IS A DBAG LIKE KAEPERNICK" nonsense.

    Rosen could be a world-class jerk, in fact until I find out more about him I'm still hesitant to go all-in on the Rosen Bandwagon, but I find it interesting how much time cal rails on about Rosen (an outspoken opponent of Trump) but rarely brings up the sizable personality questions about Baker Mayfield, who gets as much love on this board as a potential Browns pick as Rosen does at this point.

      A. I only found out about that this morning when I got a link .

    B. The reports are that rosen IS world class prick.

    C. You are stupid - I have complained about Mayfield's lack of character bigtime on this board. 

    D. Have a nice day.

    oh, btw -

    https://sportsnaut.com/2017/08/nfl-scout-josh-rosen-another-version-colin-kaepernick/

    NFL scout: Josh Rosen ‘another version of Colin Kaepernick’

    @calfoxwc said:

      A. I only found out about that this morning when I got a link .

    B. The reports are that rosen IS world class prick.

    C. You are stupid - I have complained about Mayfield's lack of character bigtime on this board. 

    D. Have a nice day.

    oh, btw -

    https://sportsnaut.com/2017/08/nfl-scout-josh-rosen-another-version-colin-kaepernick/

    NFL scout: Josh Rosen ‘another version of Colin Kaepernick’

    Kaepernick took his team to the Super Bowl once and to the NFC title game another time.   I would take that in Rosen.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    You've produced five instances of you talking about Mayfield, four of which were on the same thread. Trust me, the amount of pro-Allen/anti-Rosen posts DWARF these handful of Mayfield posts. You've pretty much become PoG-like in your obsession with posting about your undying love of Allen, and your hatred of Rosen.

    And like I've said before, and in fact BEFORE you started your tireless ripping of Rosen, his personality has been a topic of conversation for a while. In fact, I read something this summer about Rosen being compared personality-wise to Manziel. Trust me, this concerns me too...

    On-the-field, though, Rosen is laughably ahead of Allen.

    Yeah- is some of the off field background noise about Rosen or Mayfield a concern? Of course. The Browns (or any other team that thinks they have a shot at either) are going to do due diligence. Plenty of research, background checks, talking to teammates, coaches, etc. I've said it before too- interviews . 

    Hell's Bells, I posted it in the Gordon thread, if we're talking character and "intangibles" assuming due diligence- there's absolutely no way any NFL team would have drafted Josh- even as a supplemental 7th round pick. LOL, Heckert might have been high when he drafted him.  

    @hoorta said:

    Yeah- is some of the off field background noise about Rosen or Mayfield a concern? Of course. The Browns (or any other team that thinks they have a shot at either) are going to do due diligence. Plenty of research, background checks, talking to teammates, coaches, etc. I've said it before too- interviews . 

    Hell's Bells, I posted it in the Gordon thread, if we're talking character and "intangibles" assuming due diligence- there's absolutely no way any NFL team would have drafted Josh- even as a supplemental 7th round pick. LOL, Heckert might have been high when he drafted him.  

    Why do we need to be arguing over  Rosen or Mayfield or Allen?    When Mason Rudolph will likely, when all things come around to it, be considered the primary candidate to be taken #1.