Skip to content

Should we draft a quarterback 1st overall?

The Browns Board
266 46 6.8k 1
  • My ideal situation would be to keep the QBs that we have now. 

    Hogan starts, Kizer backup, Kessler reserve

    Draft the best and biggest WR and RB. Barkley and Ridley

    Gives us Gordon/Coleman/Ridley at WR with Coates and Company as reserves

    Barkley and Duke gives us a potent 1-2 punch at RB

    With the 3 second round picks use them to move up and take the best OL specifically LT. 

    Combine whatever is left to move us back into the first round and take the best CB. 

    Take the best RB/WR/CB/LT 

    We have tons of youth, let it develop and sell out to add 4 blue chip players. 

    @poeticg said:

    My ideal situation would be to keep the QBs that we have now. 

    Anything but what PoG said. Come on, man! You can't defend keeping all three of them! 

    In other thread a member of this board has already thought of commiting suicide if that happens, that's the value you put on a person? 

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I' sure we will but let's think about other options for a second. 

    Kirk Cousins will be a free agent more than likely. Kirk Cousins will have a better offer by the Jacksonville Jaguars. They're a team only missing a QB to be real contenders and have 34mill in salary cap, so they can't offer more than the Browns, but certainly are more attractive. That if he doesn't stay in the Redskins as the 49ers aren't going to offer anything for him.

    Tyrod Taylor will probably be available either by cut or trade. Tyrod Taylor is a good QB... Backup. 

    Teddy Twatwater may be on the block given that Bradford and Keenum are both playing well in that system. I think that the ones staying in Minnesota, if all of them are healthy by the end of the year, are Bridgewater and Keenum. Bridgewater looked like their franchise quaterback a year ago and Keenum has been solid as a backup QB, with no big contract (he's been paid 2mill this year for a one year contract). Bradford's contract is a starter's contract and if the decision has to be made between him and Bridgewater, I bet he's the one leaving.  Both Keenum and Bradford are UFA next year. 

    Garapollo may test the market but that' pretty unlikely. Forget about Garoppolo. 

    We have forgot about other attractive options like Jay Cutler, who I don't think will stay in Miami. If you had a heart stroke for a second there, don't worry, I was kidding. 

    Eli Manning is another one whose job is at stake but I don't see him playing anywhere but in NY. 

    Therefore, I think Cousins is the only attractive option, because Bradford has suffered 2 longterm ankle injuries and you don't want to take such a risk for a 30 year quaterback. I think he's a competent QB anyway.

    If we took Bradford as veteran QB AND drafted high in the first round another QB, I would be glad. If the veteran QB was Cousins, it would be amazing, but I don't count on it. 

    Reading this post I have noticed that nowadays QB level is somewhat disappointing... 

    @poeticg said:

    Draft the best and biggest WR and RB. Barkley and Ridley

    Gives us Gordon/Coleman/Ridley at WR with Coates and Company as reserves

    Barkley and Duke gives us a potent 1-2 punch at RB

    With the 3 second round picks use them to move up and take the best OL specifically LT. 

    Combine whatever is left to move us back into the first round and take the best CB. 

    Take the best RB/WR/CB/LT 

    We have tons of youth, let it develop and sell out to add 4 blue chip players. 

    If I forget what you said about the QBs, I like that draft approach! 

  • Many of you will laugh at me (no more than usual) but how many games do we win with a guy like Case Keenum? How many do we win if we sign Robert Woods at WR, or trade a 2nd for Watkins to help Keenum and our other guys? Our defense has played well enough a few games to get us a victory, yet when we really needed a score, it never came. Sashi and our front office let us down by not having a veteran qb on our roster. Nobody can tell me Kizer was ready to play this season, but our management couldn't see that. What was the backup plan? Hogan and Kessler? Come on, man. And then we panic at the trade deadline and try to make a bad deal for an unknown commodity but still screw it up? Good lord. 

    Now I admit it, our defense let us down a few times this year (Colts game IMO), but there's been so many others where we simply couldn't score points. Our qb couldn't see the open man, couldn't make an accurate pass in the end zone, or flat out just sucked. After 6 games, I counted AT LEAST 8 possible touchdown throws Kizer missed. Now granted, this isn't exact and everyone misses throws, but I have to believe even a guy like Keenum makes HALF of those, right? But it's not even making half the TD throws, it's NOT making the turnovers and costing us freaking points. Costing us momentum. Giving our receivers a chance to feel better and gain confidence. Now Imagine Keenum throwing to Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Njoku, Devalve, and Duke. I've seen Keenum have near telepathy with Thielen and his crappy receivers. I'd love to see him with an athletic Njoku and Gordon. 

    Just think how much Kizer is costing us in terms of player development. How many times has he missed Njoku in the end zone or deep in the seam? I realize Njoku has dropped some and missed blocks, but he could easily have 6 tds right now and twice the yardage. What about a guy like Dreggs who is trying to catch on? Kizer hasn't even SEEN this guy streaking down the field several times. 

    Obviously Keenum isn't an allstar, but he's ten times better than what we've got, and he's just one example of a veteran qb we didn't get. How about Ryan Fitzpatrick? Is he good? No. Is he BETTER than our guys. Yes. 

    So do we take a QB first? I'll put it to you this way, we're taking one in the first round that's for damn sure. Whether it's first or tenth, we're taking one. Only way we don't is if we trade for an established qb, and that almost never happens. We're taking a QB early, we're bringing in a veteran of some degree, and Kizer will be fighting for his NFL life. Nothing we have is working right now. Kizer is too young to give up on, but accuracy isn't generally something that "comes along". Not to the degree it needs to for Kizer. 

  • @louisville-slugger said:

    Is there any other options that intrigue anyone?

    Alex Smith via trade has been an option I've favored exploring. KC is heading towards a cap crisis that will make Alex very affordable in trade terms. ANd his $20mm+ 2018 contract is not a cap problem for us.

    That said... in answer to your titled question...

    Hell, yes we should draft a QB #1 overall... and his name is Rosen.

    @tour2ma said:

    Alex Smith via trade has been an option I've favored exploring. KC is heading towards a cap crisis that will make Alex very affordable in trade terms. ANd his $20mm+ 2018 contract is not a cap problem for us.

    That said... in answer to your titled question...

    Hell, yes we should draft a QB #1 overall... and his name is Rosen.

    I've been screaming for Alex Smith for several years now. People thought I was crazy, especially when he couldn't throw a TD to a WR. He didn't have his best game last week, but he's made some of the most accurate, in stride touchdown passes I've seen this season alone. I like his game, his mobility, and especially how he hits people IN STRIDE. Corey Coleman NEEDS a guy like this. Have we ever seen Coleman get YAC? What he was KNOWN for in college? Coleman was EXPLOSIVE. Now he's a possession receiver. I'd almost give KC whatever they wanted for him. 

  • Quit fcking around with bums and draft a blue chip Prospect for a change. No there are no guarantees in this league and I've always been a guy thinking we can make chicken salad out of chickensht but it hasn't worked out so far.

    Kirk Cousins is a bum waiting to happen and Tyrod Taylor is a bum now.

    WSS

  • Quit fcking around with bums and draft a blue chip Prospect for a change. No there are no guarantees in this league and I've always been a guy thinking we can make chicken salad out of chickensht but it hasn't worked out so far.

    Kirk Cousins is a bum waiting to happen and Tyrod Taylor is a bum now.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Quit fcking around with bums and draft a blue chip Prospect for a change. No there are no guarantees in this league and I've always been a guy thinking we can make chicken salad out of chickensht but it hasn't worked out so far.

    Kirk Cousins is a bum waiting to happen and Tyrod Taylor is a bum now.

    WSS

    On the money. I can't believe half the Sheet I'm reading in here....

    Tyrod Taylor. Are you Shmucking serious.

    Case Keenum. You can't be serious.

    And my favorite option. Keep all 3 qbs we have on the roster. Hahahaha.

    Holy Sheet. And you guys talk Sheet about Sashi. Hahaha. 

    Only good option that isn't from the draft is maybe Alex Smith. But who knows if he's available. But overall we draft a QB. And from the looks of it Darnold is staying in school. So we might have to draft Rosen.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Quit fcking around with bums and draft a blue chip Prospect for a change. No there are no guarantees in this league and I've always been a guy thinking we can make chicken salad out of chickensht but it hasn't worked out so far.

    Kirk Cousins is a bum waiting to happen and Tyrod Taylor is a bum now.

    WSS

    On the money. I can't believe half the Sheet I'm reading in here....

    Tyrod Taylor. Are you Shmucking serious.

    Case Keenum. You can't be serious.

    And my favorite option. Keep all 3 qbs we have on the roster. Hahahaha.

    Holy Sheet. And you guys talk Sheet about Sashi. Hahaha. 

    Only good option that isn't from the draft is maybe Alex Smith. But who knows if he's available. But overall we draft a QB. And from the looks of it Darnold is staying in school. So we might have to draft Rosen.

    @alkid3 said:

    On the money. I can't believe half the Sheet I'm reading in here....

    Tyrod Taylor. Are you Shmucking serious.

    Case Keenum. You can't be serious.

    And my favorite option. Keep all 3 qbs we have on the roster. Hahahaha.

    Holy Sheet. And you guys talk Sheet about Sashi. Hahaha. 

    Only good option that isn't from the draft is maybe Alex Smith. But who knows if he's available. But overall we draft a QB. And from the looks of it Darnold is staying in school. So we might have to draft Rosen.

    Darnold has a lot more development to go before he is a real pocket passer who can occasionally run. Rosen is a pocket aware player already with just as good an arm and a better ability to go through proper progressions rather than get "happy feet" like Darnold. He has every throw in the book and he's ours for the taking. Don't Browns this up again!

  • @louisville-slugger said:

    Is there any other options that intrigue anyone?

    Alex Smith via trade has been an option I've favored exploring. KC is heading towards a cap crisis that will make Alex very affordable in trade terms. ANd his $20mm+ 2018 contract is not a cap problem for us.

    That said... in answer to your titled question...

    Hell, yes we should draft a QB #1 overall... and his name is Rosen.

    @tour2ma said:

    Alex Smith via trade has been an option I've favored exploring. KC is heading towards a cap crisis that will make Alex very affordable in trade terms. ANd his $20mm+ 2018 contract is not a cap problem for us.

    I wouldn’t be against this as long as Hue is gone. I don’t see a fit with him and Smith. And in any case I think I’d prefer Cousins whoever the HC is.

    That said... in answer to your titled question...

    Hell, yes we should draft a QB #1 overall... and his name is Rosen.

    Yes yes and yes again. This kid has star potential. 

  • It's a toss between Allen or Darnold at #1, unless we take Saquon and hope the Texans lose out so we can get a shot at one of these two..

    Baker Mayfield is an interesting option and he will probably be there in the 1st, or possibly the 2nd round.

  • Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold. Then you are rolling the dice in a later round. Allen, Falk. Jackson

    WSS 

  • If Hue stays as coach he is getting AJ McCarron in FA ...you can bet your life on it

  • If Hue stays as coach he is getting AJ McCarron in FA ...you can bet your life on it

    @darren15 said:

    If Hue stays as coach he is getting AJ McCarron in FA ...you can bet your life on it

    That’s the worry for me. And the main reason why I want Hue outta here the day after the final game of the season. 

  • Im ok with mccarron here so long as we draft a qb with the 1st. Or bring mccown back. But rolling next year with hogan? Wut?

  • My ideal situation would be to keep the QBs that we have now. 

    Hogan starts, Kizer backup, Kessler reserve

    Draft the best and biggest WR and RB. Barkley and Ridley

    Gives us Gordon/Coleman/Ridley at WR with Coates and Company as reserves

    Barkley and Duke gives us a potent 1-2 punch at RB

    With the 3 second round picks use them to move up and take the best OL specifically LT. 

    Combine whatever is left to move us back into the first round and take the best CB. 

    Take the best RB/WR/CB/LT 

    We have tons of youth, let it develop and sell out to add 4 blue chip players. 

    @poeticg said:

    My ideal situation would be to keep the QBs that we have now. 

    Hogan starts, Kizer backup, Kessler reserve

    Draft the best and biggest WR and RB. Barkley and Ridley

    Gives us Gordon/Coleman/Ridley at WR with Coates and Company as reserves

    Barkley and Duke gives us a potent 1-2 punch at RB

    With the 3 second round picks use them to move up and take the best OL specifically LT. 

    Combine whatever is left to move us back into the first round and take the best CB. 

    Take the best RB/WR/CB/LT 

    We have tons of youth, let it develop and sell out to add 4 blue chip players. 

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

  • @poeticg said:

    My ideal situation would be to keep the QBs that we have now. 

    Hogan starts, Kizer backup, Kessler reserve

    Draft the best and biggest WR and RB. Barkley and Ridley

    Gives us Gordon/Coleman/Ridley at WR with Coates and Company as reserves

    Barkley and Duke gives us a potent 1-2 punch at RB

    With the 3 second round picks use them to move up and take the best OL specifically LT. 

    Combine whatever is left to move us back into the first round and take the best CB. 

    Take the best RB/WR/CB/LT 

    We have tons of youth, let it develop and sell out to add 4 blue chip players. 

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

    Thank God my coffee cup was already empty. LOL!😆

  • @poeticg said:

    My ideal situation would be to keep the QBs that we have now. 

    Hogan starts, Kizer backup, Kessler reserve

    Draft the best and biggest WR and RB. Barkley and Ridley

    Gives us Gordon/Coleman/Ridley at WR with Coates and Company as reserves

    Barkley and Duke gives us a potent 1-2 punch at RB

    With the 3 second round picks use them to move up and take the best OL specifically LT. 

    Combine whatever is left to move us back into the first round and take the best CB. 

    Take the best RB/WR/CB/LT 

    We have tons of youth, let it develop and sell out to add 4 blue chip players. 

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

    His love for Hogan is getting borderline stalker.

  • @poeticg said:

    My ideal situation would be to keep the QBs that we have now. 

    Hogan starts, Kizer backup, Kessler reserve

    Draft the best and biggest WR and RB. Barkley and Ridley

    Gives us Gordon/Coleman/Ridley at WR with Coates and Company as reserves

    Barkley and Duke gives us a potent 1-2 punch at RB

    With the 3 second round picks use them to move up and take the best OL specifically LT. 

    Combine whatever is left to move us back into the first round and take the best CB. 

    Take the best RB/WR/CB/LT 

    We have tons of youth, let it develop and sell out to add 4 blue chip players. 

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

    No doubt he is the biggest TROLL on this board.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

    No doubt he is the biggest TROLL on this board.

    @richiswhere said:

    No doubt he is the biggest TROLL on this board.

    Did Ghoolie get banned?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is proof people out there:   There IS someone who could be worse at running this team than Sashi et al.

    His love for Hogan is getting borderline stalker.

    @200lbmumford said:

    His love for Hogan is getting borderline stalker.

    It's gone way past borderline.   He's probably not allowed within 500 yards of Hogan or be in violation of the restraining order.

    At this point, I'm drafting Rosen, there's a lot of time between now and the draft and things can change but I think he's the guy.  If McCarron comes here via FA with Hue thats fine too....no problem with having Rosen sit for a couple if AJ can play better than him.   The only option that I read here that absolutely cannot under any circumstances, is to stay put with the suckfest combination of QB's we have right now. 

  • @200lbmumford said:

    His love for Hogan is getting borderline stalker.

    It's gone way past borderline.   He's probably not allowed within 500 yards of Hogan or be in violation of the restraining order.

    At this point, I'm drafting Rosen, there's a lot of time between now and the draft and things can change but I think he's the guy.  If McCarron comes here via FA with Hue thats fine too....no problem with having Rosen sit for a couple if AJ can play better than him.   The only option that I read here that absolutely cannot under any circumstances, is to stay put with the suckfest combination of QB's we have right now. 

    @mark-o said:

    It's gone way past borderline.   He's probably not allowed within 500 yards of Hogan or be in violation of the restraining order.

    At this point, I'm drafting Rosen, there's a lot of time between now and the draft and things can change but I think he's the guy.  If McCarron comes here via FA with Hue thats fine too....no problem with having Rosen sit for a couple if AJ can play better than him.   The only option that I read here that absolutely cannot under any circumstances, is to stay put with the suckfest combination of QB's we have right now. 

    You think Hue will be here next season?

  • @mark-o said:

    It's gone way past borderline.   He's probably not allowed within 500 yards of Hogan or be in violation of the restraining order.

    At this point, I'm drafting Rosen, there's a lot of time between now and the draft and things can change but I think he's the guy.  If McCarron comes here via FA with Hue thats fine too....no problem with having Rosen sit for a couple if AJ can play better than him.   The only option that I read here that absolutely cannot under any circumstances, is to stay put with the suckfest combination of QB's we have right now. 

    You think Hue will be here next season?

    @dutch-oven said:

    You think Hue will be here next season?

    I kinda do think they will bring him back.  Not sure how I feel about that decision, unless changes are made to his duties as Tour has pointed out.    I'm not convinced he's a good coach and I think someone better could get more out of the team.    I don't see how the current setup be brought back without any changes at all when we are staring 1-31 or 2-30 in the face over 2 seasons.