Skip to content

Net Neutrality

Political Discussion
81 12 3.6k
  • @tiamat63 said:

    And did read some of the shady Sheet that was starting to take place before?  Now it's just going to be all out in the open.   You ask why and I can't tell if it's genuine or you're doing your persona.  (which I might add has been pretty funny lately)

    I'm all for personal liberties and free market, but I also realize said free market can be manipulated.    This isn't Apple saying they might not have been able to launch the first Iphone with neutrality.  Suppose this board now owes extra monies to 'X' ISP...   for the exact same service they're providing now. Or worse, toss in a surcharge and if you don't pay they'll unnecessarily throttle your service.     Would you pay a mechanic extra to do the same work on your car? Hell no.   

    What scares me the most are the ones who believe this does nothing.  If it doesn't do anything than why was it necessary, rhetorical.  So once that penetrates the bubble the next question is who does it benefit? Again those drinking the Kool Aid probably go to "small business and the middle class" cause that's the Trumpettes war cry.  Last time I checked small business and the middle class haven't donated MILLIONS to the same representatives that voted for this.  Finally as this illustrates how the money of corporate america shapes policy to their benefit we will get, dude that's how you create jobs.  So I guess as my internet TV options dwindle to what company will kick back the most many to Spectrum I'll be thankful my neighbor will get paid $12/hr to be a customer service rep.

    @baconhound said:

    What scares me the most are the ones who believe this does nothing.  If it doesn't do anything than why was it necessary, rhetorical.  So once that penetrates the bubble the next question is who does it benefit? Again those drinking the Kool Aid probably go to "small business and the middle class" cause that's the Trumpettes war cry.  Last time I checked small business and the middle class haven't donated MILLIONS to the same representatives that voted for this.  Finally as this illustrates how the money of corporate america shapes policy to their benefit we will get, dude that's how you create jobs.  So I guess as my internet TV options dwindle to what company will kick back the most many to Spectrum I'll be thankful my neighbor will get paid $12/hr to be a customer service rep.

    wAAA, WAAAA, WAAAA.  stfu.

  • "It helps when titanic, media-driving Silicon Valley companies like Google and Facebook, Netflix and Amazon spend tens of millions of dollars pushing the Net Neutrality rock up the Hill.

    Big Left Coin buys lots of sound and fury – no matter how much nothing it actually signifies.

    And why did the Silicon Valley Giants spend these millions? Because Net Neutrality is the government mandating that the Silicon Valley Giants receive billions of dollars worth of free bandwidth from the ISPs.

    Their coin – was a cronyism down payment. But a tiny fraction of the government rewards they were set to reap.

    And, of course, their cronyism would inevitably, inexorably mean We the People would spend exponentially more for our bandwidth. Because ISPs have only two sets of people to charge – the Silicon Valley, and us. So Net Neutrality says we pick up the Valley’s titanic bandwidth tab – and thereby augment their titanic profits."

  • bought and paid for by corporations. shills in govt.

    doesn't matter.... stupid people will still blindly follow their party lines

  • @tiamat63 said:

    And did read some of the shady Sheet that was starting to take place before?  Now it's just going to be all out in the open.   You ask why and I can't tell if it's genuine or you're doing your persona.  (which I might add has been pretty funny lately)

    I'm all for personal liberties and free market, but I also realize said free market can be manipulated.    This isn't Apple saying they might not have been able to launch the first Iphone with neutrality.  Suppose this board now owes extra monies to 'X' ISP...   for the exact same service they're providing now. Or worse, toss in a surcharge and if you don't pay they'll unnecessarily throttle your service.     Would you pay a mechanic extra to do the same work on your car? Hell no.   

    What scares me the most are the ones who believe this does nothing.  If it doesn't do anything than why was it necessary, rhetorical.  So once that penetrates the bubble the next question is who does it benefit? Again those drinking the Kool Aid probably go to "small business and the middle class" cause that's the Trumpettes war cry.  Last time I checked small business and the middle class haven't donated MILLIONS to the same representatives that voted for this.  Finally as this illustrates how the money of corporate america shapes policy to their benefit we will get, dude that's how you create jobs.  So I guess as my internet TV options dwindle to what company will kick back the most many to Spectrum I'll be thankful my neighbor will get paid $12/hr to be a customer service rep.

    @baconhound said:

    What scares me the most are the ones who believe this does nothing.  If it doesn't do anything than why was it necessary, rhetorical.  So once that penetrates the bubble the next question is who does it benefit? Again those drinking the Kool Aid probably go to "small business and the middle class" cause that's the Trumpettes war cry.  Last time I checked small business and the middle class haven't donated MILLIONS to the same representatives that voted for this.  Finally as this illustrates how the money of corporate america shapes policy to their benefit we will get, dude that's how you create jobs.  So I guess as my internet TV options dwindle to what company will kick back the most many to Spectrum I'll be thankful my neighbor will get paid $12/hr to be a customer service rep.

    It scares the hell out of you...that you'll have a slightly harder time...streaming internet television. 

    You must have a carefree life. 

  • @baconhound said:

    What scares me the most are the ones who believe this does nothing.  If it doesn't do anything than why was it necessary, rhetorical.  So once that penetrates the bubble the next question is who does it benefit? Again those drinking the Kool Aid probably go to "small business and the middle class" cause that's the Trumpettes war cry.  Last time I checked small business and the middle class haven't donated MILLIONS to the same representatives that voted for this.  Finally as this illustrates how the money of corporate america shapes policy to their benefit we will get, dude that's how you create jobs.  So I guess as my internet TV options dwindle to what company will kick back the most many to Spectrum I'll be thankful my neighbor will get paid $12/hr to be a customer service rep.

    It scares the hell out of you...that you'll have a slightly harder time...streaming internet television. 

    You must have a carefree life. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    It scares the hell out of you...that you'll have a slightly harder time...streaming internet television. 

    You must have a carefree life. 

    Yeah, why should anybody be worried about receiving the advertised service on the product they pay for, right?

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    It scares the hell out of you...that you'll have a slightly harder time...streaming internet television. 

    You must have a carefree life. 

    Yeah, why should anybody be worried about receiving the advertised service on the product they pay for, right?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah, why should anybody be worried about receiving the advertised service on the product they pay for, right?

    Don't pay for it then. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah, why should anybody be worried about receiving the advertised service on the product they pay for, right?

    Don't pay for it then. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Don't pay for it then. 

    Good point. And if anybody is that paranoid they probably shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. Get yourself a shortwave radio or a ham license.

    WSS

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Don't pay for it then. 

    Good point. And if anybody is that paranoid they probably shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. Get yourself a shortwave radio or a ham license.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Good point. And if anybody is that paranoid they probably shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. Get yourself a shortwave radio or a ham license.

    WSS

    Image result for paranoid person gif

  • A few of us on here remember when there was no internet!  No smart phones even!  How did we survive?

  • @baconhound said:

    What scares me the most are the ones who believe this does nothing.  If it doesn't do anything than why was it necessary, rhetorical.  So once that penetrates the bubble the next question is who does it benefit? Again those drinking the Kool Aid probably go to "small business and the middle class" cause that's the Trumpettes war cry.  Last time I checked small business and the middle class haven't donated MILLIONS to the same representatives that voted for this.  Finally as this illustrates how the money of corporate america shapes policy to their benefit we will get, dude that's how you create jobs.  So I guess as my internet TV options dwindle to what company will kick back the most many to Spectrum I'll be thankful my neighbor will get paid $12/hr to be a customer service rep.

    It scares the hell out of you...that you'll have a slightly harder time...streaming internet television. 

    You must have a carefree life. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    It scares the hell out of you...that you'll have a slightly harder time...streaming internet television. 

    You must have a carefree life. 

    No what scares me is the mentality that this vote does nothing.  That it is insignificant.  That no one benefits and by extension don't see how those who benefit purchase those benefits through campaign contributions.  What also scares me when asking the supporters why this is a good idea they can only talk about it in generalities like "free market" or "capitalism".  

    When those of us opposed can easily say this allows our current internet provider to require streaming companies such as Netflix, Sling and Hulu to pay them any amount of money in order to continue to use high speed internet speeds.  Internet TV was the only thing standing in the way of "Big Cable" from gouging the hell out of consumers.  Many people decided to remove cable due to price gouging and get TV service through the internet to save money, those days are over.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah, why should anybody be worried about receiving the advertised service on the product they pay for, right?

    Don't pay for it then. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Don't pay for it then. 

    Well for someone like myself that sends Sheet to work from home on the regular, I kind of need things to work as intended. 

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Don't pay for it then. 

    Well for someone like myself that sends Sheet to work from home on the regular, I kind of need things to work as intended. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Well for someone like myself that sends Sheet to work from home on the regular, I kind of need things to work as intended. 

    So you are in fear, really honestly seriously, of not being able to do your job anymore because of the repeal of net neutrality? You're a smart guy doesn't that seem like a classic case of chicken little syndrome?

    WSS

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Well for someone like myself that sends Sheet to work from home on the regular, I kind of need things to work as intended. 

    So you are in fear, really honestly seriously, of not being able to do your job anymore because of the repeal of net neutrality? You're a smart guy doesn't that seem like a classic case of chicken little syndrome?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    So you are in fear, really honestly seriously, of not being able to do your job anymore because of the repeal of net neutrality? You're a smart guy doesn't that seem like a classic case of chicken little syndrome?

    WSS

    Oh I know I'll be able to get my job done, what I'm saying is there are instances - I highlight work, that require the Internet.  A net that functions as advertised and as paid for.    I was talking with a friend of mine about this just the other day.  Do I expect the net to just "shut off"?  Hell no.   However do I expect a sharp premium increase, coupled with receiving the same services (lack thereof) and in many cases prioritizing and throttling of customers to take better "plans"...? Yep.   Toss in blacking out access to certain sites and information.         There is already evidence of abuse without neutrality, that much CANNOT be argued.          Again, Stan himself may have to pay an increase on this board for a multitude of reasons that simply didn't exist pre-repeal.       

    Look to other countries in the EU for example.   Did nobody bother to read some of the things our friends from across the sea told us?   I'm sure around here that's a rhetorical question, of course none of you did.      Point being and in short, I expect to pay more for nothing.  

    edit:  I should be use to the bold part as a life long Brownies fan.  

  • @westside-steve said:

    So you are in fear, really honestly seriously, of not being able to do your job anymore because of the repeal of net neutrality? You're a smart guy doesn't that seem like a classic case of chicken little syndrome?

    WSS

    Oh I know I'll be able to get my job done, what I'm saying is there are instances - I highlight work, that require the Internet.  A net that functions as advertised and as paid for.    I was talking with a friend of mine about this just the other day.  Do I expect the net to just "shut off"?  Hell no.   However do I expect a sharp premium increase, coupled with receiving the same services (lack thereof) and in many cases prioritizing and throttling of customers to take better "plans"...? Yep.   Toss in blacking out access to certain sites and information.         There is already evidence of abuse without neutrality, that much CANNOT be argued.          Again, Stan himself may have to pay an increase on this board for a multitude of reasons that simply didn't exist pre-repeal.       

    Look to other countries in the EU for example.   Did nobody bother to read some of the things our friends from across the sea told us?   I'm sure around here that's a rhetorical question, of course none of you did.      Point being and in short, I expect to pay more for nothing.  

    edit:  I should be use to the bold part as a life long Brownies fan.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Oh I know I'll be able to get my job done, what I'm saying is there are instances - I highlight work, that require the Internet.  A net that functions as advertised and as paid for.    I was talking with a friend of mine about this just the other day.  Do I expect the net to just "shut off"?  Hell no.   However do I expect a sharp premium increase, coupled with receiving the same services (lack thereof) and in many cases prioritizing and throttling of customers to take better "plans"...? Yep.   Toss in blacking out access to certain sites and information.         There is already evidence of abuse without neutrality, that much CANNOT be argued.          Again, Stan himself may have to pay an increase on this board for a multitude of reasons that simply didn't exist pre-repeal.       

    Look to other countries in the EU for example.   Did nobody bother to read some of the things our friends from across the sea told us?   I'm sure around here that's a rhetorical question, of course none of you did.      Point being and in short, I expect to pay more for nothing.  

    edit:  I should be use to the bold part as a life long Brownies fan.  

    Well all I have to say is that whatever price increases are in the pipe are coming our way with or without net neutrality. Bank on it.

    And something else you can count on anytime any company wants to raise the cost of anything they are going to use net neutrality defeat as an excuse. I can't remember exactly how many dozens of times After experiencing poor service or higher prices that somebody blamed it on 9/11.

    ?

    WSS

  • Im not going to say how this will shake out, it remains to be seen. But what is abundantly clear is that most of u dont understand what makes capitalism work. U have this infantile view that any kind if regulation no matter what, is anti capitalist....even those regulations which preserve competition. I didnt think one has to explain the principles of capitalism to grown men in this day and age but yeah, we sure do

  • @westside-steve said:

    Tia...https://hackernoon.com/why-libertarians-are-against-net-neutrality-654d96cb05cc

    WSS

     My friend I mentioned earlier is a rather hardline libertarian.   ANY type of regulation is seen as blasphemy to them.    They believe the free market is purity and will fix anything/everything.  They don't take into account how the market can be manipulated and thus a certain degree of oversight is required.     This is where I break from the ideology.     Like I said, I closely align with their belief structure - but on certain things I do not.  This is one of those things.