Skip to content

Who's #1?

The Browns Board
138 30 5.8k
  • @jbluhm86 said:

    Really? I knew going in when I voted for Gary Johnson that'd he'd probably lose, but this is the first that I'm hearing about him being a corrupt liar. 😎

    And, for the record, I barely brought politics into it, if at all. I was just extending an invitation to Dutch to come over to the Pol board to experience your...unique...mind firsthand. 

    your nickname isn't jblew for nothing. you said you wanted to plaster pics of higgardly all over your ceiling. Ask Stinkhole or Diehard, they'll tell ya. You don't know anything about either subject, here or there. That is what gets you crap when you dish it out.

    @calfoxwc said:

    your nickname isn't jblew for nothing. you said you wanted to plaster pics of higgardly all over your ceiling. Ask Stinkhole or Diehard, they'll tell ya. You don't know anything about either subject, here or there. That is what gets you crap when you dish it out.

    Well... at least Dutch doens't have to visit the Political section now.

  • this just in:

      Jim Donovan, sports news channel 3, was talking about the two top qb's.

    said he'd run away from Rosie, and that he believes Darnold is the guy.

    If I was going to start a qb sooner, I'd pick Darnold, too.

  • Darnold no doubt best qb in the draft.  Plus I think he can take a few hits 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    your nickname isn't jblew for nothing. you said you wanted to plaster pics of higgardly all over your ceiling. Ask Stinkhole or Diehard, they'll tell ya. You don't know anything about either subject, here or there. That is what gets you crap when you dish it out.

    Well... at least Dutch doens't have to visit the Political section now.

    @tour2ma said:

    Well... at least Dutch doens't have to visit the Political section now.

    There isn't enough money in the world to get me to ever peruse that dark corner of this board.

  • Darnold no doubt best qb in the draft.  Plus I think he can take a few hits 

    @babernakle said:

    Darnold no doubt best qb in the draft.  Plus I think he can take a few hits 

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

  • @babernakle said:

    Darnold no doubt best qb in the draft.  Plus I think he can take a few hits 

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

    But Darnold with a guy like Alex Smith or hell even McCarron would be just fine.    Let him sit most of the year while McCaron plays and then throw him out there at the end of the season and most likely start him in 2019.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

    But Darnold with a guy like Alex Smith or hell even McCarron would be just fine.    Let him sit most of the year while McCaron plays and then throw him out there at the end of the season and most likely start him in 2019.

    @mark-o said:

    But Darnold with a guy like Alex Smith or hell even McCarron would be just fine.    Let him sit most of the year while McCaron plays and then throw him out there at the end of the season and most likely start him in 2019.

    I wouldn't be upset by this at all.

    Darnold isn't on Rosen's level IMO today, but I think his upside could be similar, and he's more durable.

  • @mark-o said:

    But Darnold with a guy like Alex Smith or hell even McCarron would be just fine.    Let him sit most of the year while McCaron plays and then throw him out there at the end of the season and most likely start him in 2019.

    I wouldn't be upset by this at all.

    Darnold isn't on Rosen's level IMO today, but I think his upside could be similar, and he's more durable.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I wouldn't be upset by this at all.

    Darnold isn't on Rosen's level IMO today, but I think his upside could be similar, and he's more durable.

    I'm worried about Rosen.   I think sitting out a bowl game because of a concussion when you haven't played in a month is a very strange situation.  If it was just a case of making up an injury to keep from playing to save face.....using a concussion is a strange choice when you could just say he twisted his ankle or knee or whatever in practice.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I wouldn't be upset by this at all.

    Darnold isn't on Rosen's level IMO today, but I think his upside could be similar, and he's more durable.

    I'm worried about Rosen.   I think sitting out a bowl game because of a concussion when you haven't played in a month is a very strange situation.  If it was just a case of making up an injury to keep from playing to save face.....using a concussion is a strange choice when you could just say he twisted his ankle or knee or whatever in practice.

    @mark-o said:

    I'm worried about Rosen.   I think sitting out a bowl game because of a concussion when you haven't played in a month is a very strange situation.  If it was just a case of making up an injury to keep from playing to save face.....using a concussion is a strange choice when you could just say he twisted his ankle or knee or whatever in practice.

    His injury history has been bothering me too.

    If I was guaranteed that the Browns would pull a Chiefs/Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes and sit Darnold for his first season I'd probably lean towards taking Darnold over Rosen. It would be a risk, but taking a QB #1 overall that has trouble staying on the field is a risk too.

  • I think it all hinges on what moves Dorsey makes before the draft.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Well... at least Dutch doens't have to visit the Political section now.

    There isn't enough money in the world to get me to ever peruse that dark corner of this board.

    @dutch-oven said:

    There isn't enough money in the world to get me to ever peruse that dark corner of this board.

    cause all their cowpoop will follow he here, some of them are to stupid to separate the boards from one another

  • @mark-o said:

    I'm worried about Rosen.   I think sitting out a bowl game because of a concussion when you haven't played in a month is a very strange situation.  If it was just a case of making up an injury to keep from playing to save face.....using a concussion is a strange choice when you could just say he twisted his ankle or knee or whatever in practice.

    His injury history has been bothering me too.

    If I was guaranteed that the Browns would pull a Chiefs/Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes and sit Darnold for his first season I'd probably lean towards taking Darnold over Rosen. It would be a risk, but taking a QB #1 overall that has trouble staying on the field is a risk too.

    @dutch-oven said:

    His injury history has been bothering me too.

    If I was guaranteed that the Browns would pull a Chiefs/Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes and sit Darnold for his first season I'd probably lean towards taking Darnold over Rosen. It would be a risk, but taking a QB #1 overall that has trouble staying on the field is a risk too.

    @baconhound said:

    I think it all hinges on what moves Dorsey makes before the draft.

    All of the above. Free agency & early trades will dictate our draft. At least we'll have football guys conducting this draft, so time will tell. Until the stuff starts happening, it's pure speculation based on what us amateur Fans chose to believe from various media sources & we all know how credible they are. I'll trust in Dorsey & staff.

    Mike

  • @babernakle said:

    Darnold no doubt best qb in the draft.  Plus I think he can take a few hits 

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

    You have to remember darnold lost most of his line last year.  They were a below average unit even in the PAC 12 

  • @jcam222 said:

    Number 1 is.........................................................Rosen to the Giants as we trade down and then select Saquan Barkley with the Giants pick. Fitzpatrick with the next pick and grab the QB who slides (likely either Allen or Baker) in the 2nd (or a trade up into bottom of the 1st)

    Some People think that the QB that would slide could be Rudolph. 

    Just a few notes:   ONLY in these years since the 1966 Common draft, have 4 or more QBs been drafted in the first round:

    2012  4 QBs

    2011....4

    2004....4

    2003....4

    1999....5

    1997....4

    1983....6

    Could this year possibly match 1983 for the most first round QBs taken?   If so, it would likely be Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph...and maybe Jackson?  Or could the 6th one be someone else?    Drew Lock or  Falk?

    @the-gipper said:

    Some People think that the QB that would slide could be Rudolph. 

    Could this year possibly match 1983 for the most first round QBs taken?   If so, it would likely be Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph...and maybe Jackson?  Or could the 6th one be someone else?    Drew Lock or  Falk?

    FA Qb shuffle should help determine gip. Does Smith,Cousins Tyrod make a move? KC nor Texans have a 1st rd. pick.#2 NYG have 1 pick each round..#5 Denver has a 1,2,3,6,7th..2+4th & 2+5th rounders to bargain with..#6 Jets have 2+2nd rounders,1 pick rest of rounds.We have seen many times from pick 15-30 give up a boatload of picks that Den. nor Jets won't raise up enough poker chips..Thats #15 Zona & #21 Bills..Zona the most desperate team at Qb but have no 4th but 2+7th's with 1 pick in all remaining rounds. Bills set up nicely, but how bad is Peterman? Bills have 2+1st,2+2nd & picks 3 thru 7. Than comes Bortles Jags (most see FA QB here)Jags have all picks in all rounds but lose either 5th or 6th to Bills for Dareus deal. Sooo if we are doing Mel Kiper fuzzy math, maybe 4.5? 

  • New guy here, so feel free to ignore.  A scenario i would love to see is the FO use Mr. Haslam's stupid commitments to the Brown's advantage by:

    1. Pick up whatever FA QB can competently play in 2018.

    2. Have Mr. H give a detailed press conference on the Brown's commitment to Kizer as his long term QB, just like the illogical Hue commitment.  This is a Brownsian move, and everyone would believe it.

    3. See if any outrageously good trade offers come in for #1.  Not like value trades, but crazy good trades. Skill player plus '18 & '19 picks.  Enough teams are desperate enough for that #1 QB, and gullible enough to believe that we aren't, that some great offers may come in.

    4.  If no king's ransom, then keep the pick, and grab whatever QB they want #1.  Just cause he said we don't want one doesn't make it true.

    I know folks are tired of trade backs, but this just seems like an opportunity to make even the Wentz trade pale in comparison. Like trade Giants their 1st & 2nd '18 (plus more) to get our first, then shop that 1st round #2 to Denver or Jets for 1st & 2nd rounders '18 (plus more).  Browns end up with 1st round #4 and #5 or 6, plus day 2 #1, 2, 3, and #5 or 8.  Start of day 2 would clean house on bpa picks.

    Just thoughts from a stranger.  Rosen`s concussions remind me of Kessler, and Darnold's fumbles remind me of Kizer.  These guys at #1 both seem risky, so why not let someone else pay for the risk.  

  • @babernakle said:

    Darnold no doubt best qb in the draft.  Plus I think he can take a few hits 

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

    The only real issue with Rosen is his injury history. Not that he's made of glass, but his OL looked like USC's vs Ohio State. He's taken lots of hits this year. They held him out of the Cactus Bowl and pulled him from his last game of the season for precautionary reasons to be safe. 

    Darnold did make some great throws, and it's easy to see people get hyped up about him, but he's not ready to be an NFL starter any time soon. The Cotton Bowl isn't a great measuring stick, because OSU just manhandled USC.  I don't think many QB's could've done much vs OSU's DL. He was under siege all night, and got sacked about 8-9 times I think. 

    The game for all Browns fans to watch is USC vs UCLA. If you think Darnold looked better, you're delusional. If you think Rosen didn't look sharp or NFL ready, you're only lying to yourself. His accuracy, the quick release, the anticipation, the arm strength.... it was all there. 

  • It's too bad - if only rosen had Darnold and Allen and Rudolph's character, work ethic and reputation - he would be

    the consensus "everybody knows he should be the first pick" qb in this draft, except for his injury history. It's just me -

    I want a qb who the entire city, team and fan base can identify with. The Browns just need that kind of qb.

  • New guy here, so feel free to ignore.  A scenario i would love to see is the FO use Mr. Haslam's stupid commitments to the Brown's advantage by:

    1. Pick up whatever FA QB can competently play in 2018.

    2. Have Mr. H give a detailed press conference on the Brown's commitment to Kizer as his long term QB, just like the illogical Hue commitment.  This is a Brownsian move, and everyone would believe it.

    3. See if any outrageously good trade offers come in for #1.  Not like value trades, but crazy good trades. Skill player plus '18 & '19 picks.  Enough teams are desperate enough for that #1 QB, and gullible enough to believe that we aren't, that some great offers may come in.

    4.  If no king's ransom, then keep the pick, and grab whatever QB they want #1.  Just cause he said we don't want one doesn't make it true.

    I know folks are tired of trade backs, but this just seems like an opportunity to make even the Wentz trade pale in comparison. Like trade Giants their 1st & 2nd '18 (plus more) to get our first, then shop that 1st round #2 to Denver or Jets for 1st & 2nd rounders '18 (plus more).  Browns end up with 1st round #4 and #5 or 6, plus day 2 #1, 2, 3, and #5 or 8.  Start of day 2 would clean house on bpa picks.

    Just thoughts from a stranger.  Rosen`s concussions remind me of Kessler, and Darnold's fumbles remind me of Kizer.  These guys at #1 both seem risky, so why not let someone else pay for the risk.  

    @rollcny said:

    New guy here, so feel free to ignore.  A scenario i would love to see is the FO use Mr. Haslam's stupid commitments to the Brown's advantage by:

    1. Pick up whatever FA QB can competently play in 2018.

    2. Have Mr. H give a detailed press conference on the Brown's commitment to Kizer as his long term QB, just like the illogical Hue commitment.  This is a Brownsian move, and everyone would believe it.

    3. See if any outrageously good trade offers come in for #1.  Not like value trades, but crazy good trades. Skill player plus '18 & '19 picks.  Enough teams are desperate enough for that #1 QB, and gullible enough to believe that we aren't, that some great offers may come in.

    4.  If no king's ransom, then keep the pick, and grab whatever QB they want #1.  Just cause he said we don't want one doesn't make it true.

    I know folks are tired of trade backs, but this just seems like an opportunity to make even the Wentz trade pale in comparison. Like trade Giants their 1st & 2nd '18 (plus more) to get our first, then shop that 1st round #2 to Denver or Jets for 1st & 2nd rounders '18 (plus more).  Browns end up with 1st round #4 and #5 or 6, plus day 2 #1, 2, 3, and #5 or 8.  Start of day 2 would clean house on bpa picks.

    Just thoughts from a stranger.  Rosen`s concussions remind me of Kessler, and Darnold's fumbles remind me of Kizer.  These guys at #1 both seem risky, so why not let someone else pay for the risk.  

    Regarding #1, that's the general consensus. 

    Problems are- Haslam made it abundantly clear when he introduced Dorsey is his Job #1 is to find the franchise QB. So we wouldn't be fooling anyone with Kizer is our long term QB BS- no one will buy it. Second- the fanbase is positively sick of trade downs. 

    Also you're way overvaluing what can be gotten in a trade down- I'd say the #1 overall is not for sale, at almost any price. (now if the Broncos offered us Von Miller, their 2018 first, and 2019 first, I might be interested)  The #4 might be more amenable, but moving down a spot or two will get us a second round pick- at best. 

    A final thought- Walter Football has the Browns taking Saquon Barkley with the #1 overall. They're smoking something. No way Jose. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Why was Rosen noticeably better than Darnold when they played vs each other? So much so that Herbstreit emphatically mentioned this not only at the end of the game, but again a few days ago (during a pregame show for a bowl game).

    I like Darnold, I really do. His arm, his size, his sneaky athleticism, his character... there's a ton to like about him. He made some absolutely great throws during the OSU game. NFL throws.

    But man, he was really, really shaky for so much of this season. He's not at Rosen's level today. I really wish he would have gone back to USC for what would have been his (red-shirt) junior year.

    But Darnold with a guy like Alex Smith or hell even McCarron would be just fine.    Let him sit most of the year while McCaron plays and then throw him out there at the end of the season and most likely start him in 2019.

    @mark-o said:

    But Darnold with a guy like Alex Smith or hell even McCarron would be just fine.    Let him sit most of the year while McCaron plays and then throw him out there at the end of the season and most likely start him in 2019.

    Obviously... when has projecting QB development ever failed us?

    @boo-fagley said:

    But, youll be the first to comment how great Rosen looked at the combine.

    Possible, because I watch the Combine... all of it. But doubtful because all Rosen can do is confirm what I've already seen.

    @calfoxwc said:

    It's too bad - if only rosen had Darnold and Allen and Rudolph's character, work ethic and reputation -

    Work ethic? You've posted work ethic material on all 4 prospects, Princess?

  • @mark-o said:

    But Darnold with a guy like Alex Smith or hell even McCarron would be just fine.    Let him sit most of the year while McCaron plays and then throw him out there at the end of the season and most likely start him in 2019.

    Obviously... when has projecting QB development ever failed us?

    @boo-fagley said:

    But, youll be the first to comment how great Rosen looked at the combine.

    Possible, because I watch the Combine... all of it. But doubtful because all Rosen can do is confirm what I've already seen.

    @calfoxwc said:

    It's too bad - if only rosen had Darnold and Allen and Rudolph's character, work ethic and reputation -

    Work ethic? You've posted work ethic material on all 4 prospects, Princess?

    @tour2ma said:

    Obviously... when has projecting QB development ever failed us?

    All I have at this point is the hope that Dorsey will pick the right guy for us.   Since he's new, hopefully he's the guy to lead us out of the dumpster fire.