Skip to content

Alex smith

The Browns Board
152 45 7.1k
  • Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #97

    @westside-steve said:

    Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

    WSS

    Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns.  (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).

    Cousins...no.  He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years.  He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

    WSS

    Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns.  (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).

    Cousins...no.  He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years.  He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #98

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns.  (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).

    Cousins...no.  He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years.  He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.

    Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns.  (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).

    Cousins...no.  He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years.  He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.

    Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #99

    @hoorta said:

    Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.

    I didn't think Cousins was that old.  I thought he would only be like 27 or 28.  He was drafted in 2012 no?  Only 5 years ago from last season.  I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out.  He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted.  Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Other than that is not what I said...

    What are you fond of saying about "assuming"?

    I know you didn't say it verbatim....I was interpreting it.   But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

    Not even close, Gip.

    My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.

    Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.

  • @hoorta said:

    Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.

    I didn't think Cousins was that old.  I thought he would only be like 27 or 28.  He was drafted in 2012 no?  Only 5 years ago from last season.  I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out.  He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted.  Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    I didn't think Cousins was that old.  I thought he would only be like 27 or 28.  He was drafted in 2012 no?  Only 5 years ago from last season.  I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out.  He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted.  Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.

    Google can be your friend. Turns 30 just before 2018 season and drafted in 2012 as you thought.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Cousins

  • @the-gipper said:

    But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

    Not even close, Gip.

    My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.

    Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Not even close, Gip.

    My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.

    Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.

    Well....not much difference really. I guess you meant to say "sign him long term, then you don't have to apply the franchise tag"..without actually saying that.  Of course, again, you left blanks in your comments such that you ask us to try to interpret what you mean. And you get cranky when we don't read your mind right.  I mean, honestly, you are like a woman with that.  You expect us to know what you are thinking even though you don't say what you are thinking.  Are you sure you're not a chick?  Better do a trouser check.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I didn't think Cousins was that old.  I thought he would only be like 27 or 28.  He was drafted in 2012 no?  Only 5 years ago from last season.  I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out.  He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted.  Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.

    Google can be your friend. Turns 30 just before 2018 season and drafted in 2012 as you thought.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Cousins

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Google can be your friend. Turns 30 just before 2018 season and drafted in 2012 as you thought.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Cousins

    I guess this coming year will actually be his 7th season in the league:  drafted 2012...so...2012/13/14/15/16/17/18

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Google can be your friend. Turns 30 just before 2018 season and drafted in 2012 as you thought.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Cousins

    I guess this coming year will actually be his 7th season in the league:  drafted 2012...so...2012/13/14/15/16/17/18

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    I guess this coming year will actually be his 7th season in the league:  drafted 2012...so...2012/13/14/15/16/17/18

    & that's why he (Cousins) is going to want to go to a team with SB aspirations (Jags, Broncos) instead of the dumpster fire the Browns have been over the last two years. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Not even close, Gip.

    My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.

    Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.

    Well....not much difference really. I guess you meant to say "sign him long term, then you don't have to apply the franchise tag"..without actually saying that.  Of course, again, you left blanks in your comments such that you ask us to try to interpret what you mean. And you get cranky when we don't read your mind right.  I mean, honestly, you are like a woman with that.  You expect us to know what you are thinking even though you don't say what you are thinking.  Are you sure you're not a chick?  Better do a trouser check.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....not much difference really.

    lol... sure.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high? 

  • Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high? 

    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high? 

    A talking head on ESPN radio was mentioning a 3rd or possibly a 2nd rounder. 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic

    KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands.  I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Uh oh! Odds against us on Smith.

    http://www.sportsline.com/insiders/50000306/legendary-vegas-oddsmaker-kenny-white-sets-odds-on-alex-smiths-next-stop/?ttag=splnnlheadline301102018

    It will be whoever gives the Chiefs the best deal. The Browns can do that. 

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @texasag1969 said:

    Uh oh! Odds against us on Smith.

    http://www.sportsline.com/insiders/50000306/legendary-vegas-oddsmaker-kenny-white-sets-odds-on-alex-smiths-next-stop/?ttag=splnnlheadline301102018

    Guy is too busy setting odds to be anywhere accurate. I agree with Logic he's getting shipped to the team offering the best deal. That would be the Browns, if they choose to. Our two first round picks aren't for sale to buy a soon to be 34 year old QB.

    Arizona with the #15 in the first round? With a 35 year old Fitzgerald? Don't think so. & KC fans are crazy if they think they can get one first round pick for Smith, much less two. I suppose they saw what the Vikings gave up for Bradford, and are dreaming big.  🙂

  • Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high? 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high? 

    To me....3rd rounder...and maybe throw in a 6th.

  • KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands.  I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @unsympathetic said:

    KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands.  I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.

    How about a Brock Osweiler deal?   We take him off their hands for the cost of his contract....and they give US a  2d/3rd rounder?

    🥷

    Edit:  sorry....I never believed any of you would actually take this seriously

  • @unsympathetic said:

    KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands.  I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.

    How about a Brock Osweiler deal?   We take him off their hands for the cost of his contract....and they give US a  2d/3rd rounder?

    🥷

    Edit:  sorry....I never believed any of you would actually take this seriously

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    How about a Brock Osweiler deal?   We take him off their hands for the cost of his contract....and they give US a  2d/3rd rounder?

    🥷

    Nyet. The Chiefs are already minus their first round pick thanks to trading up for Mahomes, they'll be looking to add picks, not subtract them. There will be far more interest in Smith (several teams at least) than the Ostrich. I wouldn't look for the bidding to get insane, but then you never know about those things.  Alex has a proven track record- something Brock sorely lacks. Look for the Brockster to get flat out cut by Denver once the season is over- the way his contract is structured, it coast them nothing to do so. 

  • KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands.  I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands.  I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.

    WTF incompetence ? you do realize that every team in the league go's up against the cap at some time or the other

  • NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by

    Arizona will likely invest draft picks in reaching top 10 for a rookie QB than for trading a soon to be FA aged 34. With a new coach they look like rebuilding and they don't need "temporary" solutions.

    Denver: No way. Same division, aging players, cap space. 

    The real contenders I see there are the Jets and Jacksonville. I have my doubts on the Jets because I believe they signed McCown as a bridge quaterback to draft a rookie in this very draft. Which I strongly believe is the same we did when drafting Kizer. 

    I'd say that with starting QBs, either you sign them on FA or draft them, it's difficult for teams to be in the same position as the Browns, with both a lot of cap space, and many high picks. And in a QB deep draft like this, I see pushing for players like Smith teams with cap space and low picks (Jacksonville, and I can't think of any other more obvious).

    Also, Jacksonville has to try to win NOW, so they need to get a good QB for this next 2 years, if they have learnt something from the Texans, which didn't syncronize having a good QB (Watson) with the top years of their defense.