Skip to content

Alex smith

The Browns Board
152 45 7.1k
  • @hoorta said:

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

    Bortles and Taylor aren't on my list...

    @jcam222 said:

    I'd give KC the 2nd rounder we got from the Eagles and the 5th rounder of theirs we have IF it's a sign and trade involving at least a 2 year extension.              

    I understand the thoughts of QB's not wanting to come here. I truly think we have the ability to promise them a very high powered group of offensive weapons. We will be VERY active in free agency and have draft picks to control the draft. 

    Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

    As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

    @tour2ma said:

    Bortles and Taylor aren't on my list...

    Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

    As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

    Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Bortles and Taylor aren't on my list...

    Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

    As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

    Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

    @the-gipper said:

    Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

    I'll let Tour explain, but Can you even tag a guy who's already under contract? Restructure and trade? Sure. The franchise tag? Only if the Chiefs are hellbent on keeping Smith around. No team in their right mind is going to give them a first round pick for Smith. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Bortles and Taylor aren't on my list...

    Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

    As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

    Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

    @the-gipper said:

    Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

    @hoorta said:

    I'll let Tour explain, but Can you even tag a guy who's already under contract? Restructure and trade? Sure. The franchise tag? Only if the Chiefs are hellbent on keeping Smith around. No team in their right mind is going to give them a first round pick for Smith. 

    No need to "tag" a player currently under contract.

    If we trade we get Smith for one season, 2018, under his current contract, a season in which he is due $20.6mm. If you want him for a 2nd year, and cannot come to terms with him on an extension, you tag him. The tag would be for the 2019 season. Cost would probably be around $26mm for the year. Cap space should certainly not be an issue.

    Why would we then tag? Because his replacement is either not yet ready or not yet on the roster.

    Certainly would not give KC one of our 1sts for him... at least not straight up. Might some other team, e.g. JAX, give their late first for him? Could be...

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

    I'll let Tour explain, but Can you even tag a guy who's already under contract? Restructure and trade? Sure. The franchise tag? Only if the Chiefs are hellbent on keeping Smith around. No team in their right mind is going to give them a first round pick for Smith. 

    @hoorta said:

    I'll let Tour explain, but Can you even tag a guy who's already under contract? Restructure and trade? Sure. The franchise tag? Only if the Chiefs are hellbent on keeping Smith around. No team in their right mind is going to give them a first round pick for Smith. 

    My assumption was that Tour was saying: "trade for him for 2018....and when he becomes a FA after 2018...franchise tag him then".  If you franchise tag him, to me that says that "we are going to pay you as if you are one of the 5 best....highest paid QBs in the game". And in no way would I consider Smith to be close to that.   His name ain't Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben R., Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Carr, Wilson etc.  If Smith were to be considered in the Top 15 QBs in the league it would be an upset.  But...he would be a good Bridge QB....and if they trade for him....they should only give up what that is worth (to me a 3rd rounder basically)....and I certainly would not pay him like a Top 5 guy.

  • Other than that is not what I said...

    What are you fond of saying about "assuming"?

  • Other than that is not what I said...

    What are you fond of saying about "assuming"?

    @tour2ma said:

    Other than that is not what I said...

    What are you fond of saying about "assuming"?

    I know you didn't say it verbatim....I was interpreting it.   But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

  • I'm all for Smith or Cousins.

    KC would save $17 million in cap space by releasing Smith and the full $22 million if they can trade him before his bonus kicks in.

    If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

    If we get Cousins (odds are much lower), then we don't HAVE to take a QB at 1 bc Kirk would be our starter for 5+ years possibly. The only benefit to still drafting a QB at 1 would be, if all goes well, we shouldn't have another opportunity to draft this high.

    @thenew23 said:

    I'm all for Smith or Cousins.

    KC would save $17 million in cap space by releasing Smith and the full $22 million if they can trade him before his bonus kicks in.

    If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

    If we get Cousins (odds are much lower), then we don't HAVE to take a QB at 1 bc Kirk would be our starter for 5+ years possibly. The only benefit to still drafting a QB at 1 would be, if all goes well, we shouldn't have another opportunity to draft this high.

    Well, Dorsey certainly knows Smith and he knows the Chiefs' organization.

    There has been noise the second half of the season about starting the young QB- Patrick Mahomes.  If the organization believes Mahomes is their future QB, I believe they'd give up Smith for a 3rd Rounder.  Why keep him around - on the bench - to maintain / create a(nother) QB controversy.

    Smith = Gary Danielson.

    Kosar = the QB drafted in the first round this year - either at #1 or #6.

    The new QB plays Aaron Rodgers to Brett Favre / Garropollo to Brady. - except the new guy stays and plays in a year or two.  Smith - even if he is still a top-flight player in a couple of years, certainly cannot sustain like Brady.

  •  FWIW, I  caught the last 4:53 of the Titans/Chiefs game and I think I heard one of the announcers say "this is Alex Smith's last game as a KC Chief", or something to that effect.  

    I could be wrong.....

    But is there a "leak" or an assumption that the Chiefs will part ways with Smith, 1 year on contract or no?   

    Maybe we could swing a deal like we did with the Texans where they (the Chiefs) give us their 2nd round pick to take Alex Smith's contract.....

  •  FWIW, I  caught the last 4:53 of the Titans/Chiefs game and I think I heard one of the announcers say "this is Alex Smith's last game as a KC Chief", or something to that effect.  

    I could be wrong.....

    But is there a "leak" or an assumption that the Chiefs will part ways with Smith, 1 year on contract or no?   

    Maybe we could swing a deal like we did with the Texans where they (the Chiefs) give us their 2nd round pick to take Alex Smith's contract.....

    @mohican said:

     FWIW, I  caught the last 4:53 of the Titans/Chiefs game and I think I heard one of the announcers say "this is Alex Smith's last game as a KC Chief", or something to that effect.  

    I could be wrong.....

    But is there a "leak" or an assumption that the Chiefs will part ways with Smith, 1 year on contract or no?   

    Maybe we could swing a deal like we did with the Texans where they (the Chiefs) give us their 2nd round pick to take Alex Smith's contract.....

    He said "this COULD be the last game for Alex Smith in a Chiefs uniform"....he didn't say it definitely would be

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Lots of rust not to mention divisive baggage that a young team does not need. 

    Divisive baggage amongst who?  Certainly not the players on the team....and not the coaches and GMs who would have advocated for him to be signed.  So where is the divisiveness?   Among a few fans?   Who give a rat's arse about what fans think?   I mean....this is a 1-31 team...any port in the storm that could help could not be ignored.

    Nevertheless...I am not an advocate of it, simply because I would rather see a veteran that can "mentor"  a young QB.  That is where I would rather see a Smith here for that sort of thing.  

    @the-gipper said:

    Divisive baggage amongst who?  Certainly not the players on the team....and not the coaches and GMs who would have advocated for him to be signed.  So where is the divisiveness?   Among a few fans?   Who give a rat's arse about what fans think?   I mean....this is a 1-31 team...any port in the storm that could help could not be ignored.

    Nevertheless...I am not an advocate of it, simply because I would rather see a veteran that can "mentor"  a young QB.  That is where I would rather see a Smith here for that sort of thing.  

    I'd love to see them bring in a vet like Alex Smith. If they did that, I may have to try some of that Sh it Your Bed hot sauce. 

  • @mohican said:

     FWIW, I  caught the last 4:53 of the Titans/Chiefs game and I think I heard one of the announcers say "this is Alex Smith's last game as a KC Chief", or something to that effect.  

    I could be wrong.....

    But is there a "leak" or an assumption that the Chiefs will part ways with Smith, 1 year on contract or no?   

    Maybe we could swing a deal like we did with the Texans where they (the Chiefs) give us their 2nd round pick to take Alex Smith's contract.....

    He said "this COULD be the last game for Alex Smith in a Chiefs uniform"....he didn't say it definitely would be

    @the-gipper said:

    He said "this COULD be the last game for Alex Smith in a Chiefs uniform"....he didn't say it definitely would be

    but c'mon all points point towards that and his 17 million dollar contract

  • put simply, if the Chiefs were seriously in the mood to get rid of Alex Smith we'd be crazy to not invest. The chiefs lost that game in spite of how good Alex Smith played. If we did trade for him, you'd want him to hopefully agree to at least two more years under contract though. a potential 2nd round pick for one year on a "rebuilding (god I hate that word)" team is a little meh.

    That being said, there's several other teams who will be chomping at the bit if he's up there for trade. The Broncos, Cardinals, Jets, Bills (maybe), and the Colts are all way better situations. I'd love to have smith though. He would bring a two year bridge of much needed solidity at the position.

  • @hoorta said:

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

    Bortles and Taylor aren't on my list...

    @jcam222 said:

    I'd give KC the 2nd rounder we got from the Eagles and the 5th rounder of theirs we have IF it's a sign and trade involving at least a 2 year extension.              

    I understand the thoughts of QB's not wanting to come here. I truly think we have the ability to promise them a very high powered group of offensive weapons. We will be VERY active in free agency and have draft picks to control the draft. 

    Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

    As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

    @tour2ma said:

    Bortles and Taylor aren't on my list...

    Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

    As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

    Agree on the extension. I almost edited my original post to say as much. I think you can dangle the exorbitant cap space and damn near historical draft firepower as a commitment to give the vet QB confidence in a supporting group of players. Hell if he has a FA target in mind let him recruit 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Other than that is not what I said...

    What are you fond of saying about "assuming"?

    I know you didn't say it verbatim....I was interpreting it.   But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

    @the-gipper said:

    I know you didn't say it verbatim....I was interpreting it.   But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

    Here is what I say directly. YES if he plays to the level of a winning season and you have to tag him to keep him then you tag him. It's plain and simple spend money and win football games. My head as a fan, my wallet as a PSL season ticket holder, the front office, coaches, most of the players and majority of fans understand WE NEED TO ACCUMULATE WINS. If we have to pay Alex Smith $26 million for a season or two to make that happen write the damn checks. When your QB of the future is ready to win it's a different story. 

  • @orion said:

    Why on earth would Alex Smith want to come and be the Browns QB?  Or Cousins for that matter?  Teams won't even TRADE their QB to us because they don't want to punish them THAT bad.

    Smith would be acquired via trade, as he is not a free agent.  I don't care what it would cost to sign Cousins - it's not my money, and the Browns have a ton of it.  

    Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

    Regarding the perception of players' lack of interest to come to Cleveland, that's a self-fulfilling prophesy.  Thankfully you're not in the front office.

    @suomi said:

    Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

    I'm a niners fan that "followed" Smith to KC.  KC fans are on the complete opposite side of the spectrum.  Patrick Mahomes week 17 win in a meaningless game was the first win by a KC drafted QB in 2000 years or something.  They (fans) desperately want to see what their shiny new toy can do and I'm sure that is putting a fair amount of pressure on the KC FO to go with the young gun.  I strongly believe Smith has seen his last snap in a KC uni.

  • @suomi said:

    Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

    I'm a niners fan that "followed" Smith to KC.  KC fans are on the complete opposite side of the spectrum.  Patrick Mahomes week 17 win in a meaningless game was the first win by a KC drafted QB in 2000 years or something.  They (fans) desperately want to see what their shiny new toy can do and I'm sure that is putting a fair amount of pressure on the KC FO to go with the young gun.  I strongly believe Smith has seen his last snap in a KC uni.

    @temper11 said:

    They (fans) desperately want to see what their shiny new toy can do and I'm sure that is putting a fair amount of pressure on the KC FO to go with the young gun.  I strongly believe Smith has seen his last snap in a KC uni.

    So we sweeten the pot & give KC what most can't..Josh Gordon,Terek Hill, Kelsey..shiney new toy boy needs a weapon 60 yards down field. both contracts would expire after next season.. Gordon makes nothing but just over a million..we can't name a Jags WR they would part with..Go Bull Dawgs!!     

  • @temper11 said:

    They (fans) desperately want to see what their shiny new toy can do and I'm sure that is putting a fair amount of pressure on the KC FO to go with the young gun.  I strongly believe Smith has seen his last snap in a KC uni.

    So we sweeten the pot & give KC what most can't..Josh Gordon,Terek Hill, Kelsey..shiney new toy boy needs a weapon 60 yards down field. both contracts would expire after next season.. Gordon makes nothing but just over a million..we can't name a Jags WR they would part with..Go Bull Dawgs!!     

    @gumby73 said:

    So we sweeten the pot & give KC what most can't..Josh Gordon,Terek Hill, Kelsey..shiney new toy boy needs a weapon 60 yards down field. both contracts would expire after next season.. Gordon makes nothing but just over a million..we can't name a Jags WR they would part with..Go Bull Dawgs!!     

    Short and sweet HELL NO. 

  • Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

    WSS

  • Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

     I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

    WSS

    And that makes me have the exact opposite reaction because Mr. "Trust me" likes him.

  • Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

    WSS

    Hue also wanted RG III and Kessler Steve. Be afraid, very afraid. I don't trust Hue's QB judgement any farther than I could throw him- except into the Lake.