Skip to content

Elliot Wolfe

The Browns Board
65 22 5.1k
  • And Haslam is the #1 problem. He's a control freak. We got worse under him nearly every year so far.

    @marc1971 said:

    And Haslam is the #1 problem. He's a not too bright control freak. We got worse under him nearly every year so far.

    FIFY. there's no way he should have both Hueless and Dorsey reporting directly to him. Every other organization I'm aware of has the HC reporting to the GM. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    HC only...

    They changed GMs a year ago when they replaced Grigson with Chris Ballard who they hired away from KC and Dorsey.

    Speaking of Tour- does this mean Grigson is out with the hiring of Wolfe? What's the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? We still have DePodesta hanging around too.  

    Looking at those drafts (playing Jeopardy) I'll take Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews for $1,000. Still honked we didn't draft Clay- he wanted to play here.  🙁   

    PS Looking it up on Wiki, 2009 was a Brownsian year of multiple trade downs. We dodged a bullet in Sanchez, Alex Mack or Clay in the first round? Clay would still be playing here. Also the year we totally blew the second round with Robiski, Massaquoi, and Veikune. If you want to get really ill, take a look at the guys we passed on that year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

    @hoorta said:

    Speaking of Tour- does this mean Grigson is out with the hiring of Wolfe? What's the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? We still have DePodesta hanging around too.  

    Looking at those drafts (playing Jeopardy) I'll take Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews for $1,000. Still honked we didn't draft Clay- he wanted to play here.  🙁   

    PS Looking it up on Wiki, 2009 was a Brownsian year of multiple trade downs. We dodged a bullet in Sanchez, Alex Mack or Clay in the first round? Clay would still be playing here. Also the year we totally blew the second round with Robiski, Massaquoi, and Veikune. If you want to get really ill, take a look at the guys we passed on that year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

    Well...the entire personell staff may be aufed.    Berry, Grigson.  I mean.....aren't  Wolfe and Dorsey here to do those jobs? Or are we still missing a guy to take over for the  Sashi/Berry/Grigson triumvirate?  Or, perhaps one of these guys...maybe Berry, will be kept on?

    Like I said....there HAS been, in my mind, somewhat of an influx of decent talent brought in the last couple of years...except for the glaring exception at QB.  So maybe Berry can stick it out.

    I would keep Berry over Hue...whom I actually put way more responsibility on for this shiteshow than Sashi...overall.  (again...except for QB)

  • @tour2ma said:

    HC only...

    They changed GMs a year ago when they replaced Grigson with Chris Ballard who they hired away from KC and Dorsey.

    Speaking of Tour- does this mean Grigson is out with the hiring of Wolfe? What's the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? We still have DePodesta hanging around too.  

    Looking at those drafts (playing Jeopardy) I'll take Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews for $1,000. Still honked we didn't draft Clay- he wanted to play here.  🙁   

    PS Looking it up on Wiki, 2009 was a Brownsian year of multiple trade downs. We dodged a bullet in Sanchez, Alex Mack or Clay in the first round? Clay would still be playing here. Also the year we totally blew the second round with Robiski, Massaquoi, and Veikune. If you want to get really ill, take a look at the guys we passed on that year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

    @hoorta said:

      Still honked we didn't draft Clay- he wanted to play here.  🙁   

    Agreed, Larry.  However, Jr must be tickled pink the 'home team' passed on him.  At least they didn't completely blow that draft though.  Although not a playmaker / game changer as is a dominating LB, at least Alex Mack proved to be a pretty good NFL player.

    Jack Lambert always held a grudge about not being drafted by the 'home team'. 

    No sure if Roth. thought the same way, but he is another HOF player (Matthews is not, at least at this point), the 'home team' passed on.

    However, this doesn't mean the Browns should draft a kid simply because he went to OSU, for example.  The above examples are HOF and/or PB players.

  • sydS syd

    @jcam222 said:

    Cleveland.com is reporting Eliot Wolfe has an interview now scheduled with Dorsey. The assumption is an interview is really  not necessary since they worked together 2004 - 2012 and that an offer is in hand. It also mentions Ron Wolf was involved in the recommendation of the Browns hiring of Dorsey. 

    he also worked with McKenzie raiders new g.m for 7 years don't be surprised if he ends up there

    @syd said:

    he also worked with McKenzie raiders new g.m for 7 years don't be surprised if he ends up there

    I am guessing that the Raiders job was less desirable as I expect that Gruden has a death grip on every decision top to bottom. He likely saw more ability to achieve and advance in Cleveland.  On top of it the cap room and draft capital have to be a dream for a person taking on this type of role. Wolfe will be our head dog within a few years in all likelihood.

  • very well put 222

  • @tour2ma said:

    HC only...

    They changed GMs a year ago when they replaced Grigson with Chris Ballard who they hired away from KC and Dorsey.

    Speaking of Tour- does this mean Grigson is out with the hiring of Wolfe? What's the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? We still have DePodesta hanging around too.  

    Looking at those drafts (playing Jeopardy) I'll take Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews for $1,000. Still honked we didn't draft Clay- he wanted to play here.  🙁   

    PS Looking it up on Wiki, 2009 was a Brownsian year of multiple trade downs. We dodged a bullet in Sanchez, Alex Mack or Clay in the first round? Clay would still be playing here. Also the year we totally blew the second round with Robiski, Massaquoi, and Veikune. If you want to get really ill, take a look at the guys we passed on that year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

    @hoorta said:

    does this mean Grigson is out with the hiring of Wolfe?

    yup

  • Parade? Changing of the guards in Berea 

      Step out of the dark and into the light 

          Add Alonzo Highsmith with Berry as splitting VP of Player Personal position.Ryan Grigson is out. 3 of Dorsey's scouts added. this office is moving to FA & draft mode..Go Browns!!

  • @gumby73 said:

    https://www.brownszone.com/2018/01/10/browns-hire-eliot-wolf-as-assistant-gm/ 

    The Wolf is here to solve problems.   Good, we've got one.

  • We just need a head coach now

    Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago
    More

    #Browns are hoping for stability on the personnel. GM John Dorsey has a 4-year deal. Assistant GM Eliot Wolf has a 4-year deal. Things should be much calmer this time around.

    @darren15 said:

    We just need a head coach now

    #Browns are hoping for stability on the personnel. GM John Dorsey has a 4-year deal. Assistant GM Eliot Wolf has a 4-year deal. Things should be much calmer this time around.

    Haha ok.

  • Parade? Changing of the guards in Berea 

      Step out of the dark and into the light 

          Add Alonzo Highsmith with Berry as splitting VP of Player Personal position.Ryan Grigson is out. 3 of Dorsey's scouts added. this office is moving to FA & draft mode..Go Browns!!

    @gumby73 said:

    Parade? Changing of the guards in Berea 

    Add Alonzo Highsmith with Berry as splitting VP of Player Personal position.Ryan Grigson is out. 3 of Dorsey's scouts added. this office is moving to FA & draft mode..Go Browns!!

    I never could figure out bringing Grigson here in the first place- IIRC, he was terrible in Indy...   

    @wargograw said:

    Haha ok.

    What you no likee?  We'll see how this turns out, but I have more confidence the way  this Front office is shaping up than having a Harvard Bean Counter and a guy who thought giving us a first round pick for bust Richardson was a good idea running the draft. 

  • @marc1971 said:

    And Haslam is the #1 problem. He's a not too bright control freak. We got worse under him nearly every year so far.

    FIFY. there's no way he should have both Hueless and Dorsey reporting directly to him. Every other organization I'm aware of has the HC reporting to the GM. 

    @hoorta said:

    FIFY. there's no way he should have both Hueless and Dorsey reporting directly to him. Every other organization I'm aware of has the HC reporting to the GM. 

    Yeah, that makes no sense. He's the owner, not a manager who keeps control of everyone. Plus it creates conflicts. Hue most likely got a part on firing Sashi as he had Haslam's ear.

    @the-gipper said:

    But....their main problem has been hiring the wrong people....and then possibly meddling somewhat in their business.   Here, we hope he has hired the right guy/guys....and will leave well enough alone.  Though....keeping Hue on is evidence that we have not reached that point yet. 

    I think that they keep Hue because you can't expect anything after a 0-16, and if he pulls, let's say 6 wins, he keeps the job. If he doesn't, Dorsey brings a guy of his desire as a coach and doesn't lose credit for the 2018 season. Kind of a win-win situation, where the only ones who can lose... Are the fans?

  • @darren15 said:

    We just need a head coach now

    #Browns are hoping for stability on the personnel. GM John Dorsey has a 4-year deal. Assistant GM Eliot Wolf has a 4-year deal. Things should be much calmer this time around.

    Haha ok.

    @wargograw said:

    Haha ok.

    Even that elicited a laugh from me. I didn’t like Sashi and definitely wanted him gone. However, Jimmy burns through coaches and GMs so a 4 year deal won’t stop him.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    The Packers are a storied and model franchise that other teams can only dream to be.

    The Browns now have 3 personnel guys from the Packers. The Browns are going to blow up this draft.

    They've been blowing up the draft for years. They just need to not blow it period.😛

  • @boo-fagley said:

    This time its going to be different.

    Even Ghoolie will be on board. Dorsey aint a coffee fetcher for Haslam. I hope that he takes Josh Allen, but he was involved in building the Packers back to prominence. Keeping Depo is actually a good idea because Dorsey spent money like a drunken sailor in a whore house when he had control of the check book in KC.

    You do realize how full of contradictions that is, right? Dorsey, Allen and Depot with Ghoolie on board? Hue stays but Dorsey is no longer a coffee fetcher? Is Ghoolie aware that you are deviating from the true course of rectitude?😛

  • @the-gipper said:

    But Berry and Depo are still on board.   Do we expect them to be aufed?  Especially if they sign this guy?

    Berry can fetch coffee and De podesta can fetch peanuts and Cracker Jack.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Berry can fetch coffee and De podesta can fetch peanuts and Cracker Jack.

    WSS

    Exactly, french roast, sumatra, or kona? John, Elliot- salted or unsalted?🙂   Types of Peanuts. Although peanuts come in many varieties, there are four basic market types: Runner, Virginia, Spanish and Valencia. Each of the peanut types is distinctive in size, flavor, and nutritional composition.

  • I'm a little surprised that DePo is still on the team.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Parade? Changing of the guards in Berea 

    Add Alonzo Highsmith with Berry as splitting VP of Player Personal position.Ryan Grigson is out. 3 of Dorsey's scouts added. this office is moving to FA & draft mode..Go Browns!!

    I never could figure out bringing Grigson here in the first place- IIRC, he was terrible in Indy...   

    @wargograw said:

    Haha ok.

    What you no likee?  We'll see how this turns out, but I have more confidence the way  this Front office is shaping up than having a Harvard Bean Counter and a guy who thought giving us a first round pick for bust Richardson was a good idea running the draft. 

    @hoorta said:

    I never could figure out bringing Grigson here in the first place- IIRC, he was terrible in Indy...   

    What you no likee?  We'll see how this turns out, but I have more confidence the way  this Front office is shaping up than having a Harvard Bean Counter and a guy who thought giving us a first round pick for bust Richardson was a good idea running the draft. 

    See Logic4Squares post.

  • @tour2ma said:

    HC only...

    They changed GMs a year ago when they replaced Grigson with Chris Ballard who they hired away from KC and Dorsey.

    Speaking of Tour- does this mean Grigson is out with the hiring of Wolfe? What's the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? We still have DePodesta hanging around too.  

    Looking at those drafts (playing Jeopardy) I'll take Jordy Nelson and Clay Matthews for $1,000. Still honked we didn't draft Clay- he wanted to play here.  🙁   

    PS Looking it up on Wiki, 2009 was a Brownsian year of multiple trade downs. We dodged a bullet in Sanchez, Alex Mack or Clay in the first round? Clay would still be playing here. Also the year we totally blew the second round with Robiski, Massaquoi, and Veikune. If you want to get really ill, take a look at the guys we passed on that year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft

    @hoorta said:

    Speaking of Tour- does this mean Grigson is out with the hiring of Wolfe? What's the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? We still have DePodesta hanging around too. 

    If you want to get really ill, take a look at the guys we passed on that year.

    IIRC Grison is here because of his past relationship with Berry, so I suspect that as long as Berry is here, then Grigson has a shot at staying... although perhaps not in his current role which is not being "a cook". DePo's status is more interesting and likely far better protected.

    As for looking back... every year every team passes on multiple players every fan base wails about. I see no sense in doing so, so I don't play that game excepting those occasions when even I had conviction about the worth of a player at the time we passed. Last time that happened was Khalil Mack. Young Clay? Yeah, I wanted him too, but as much for the wrong reasons like family legacy, than the right ones, i.e., actually knowing his worth. I did not work at player evaluations back in 2009.

    @hoorta said:

    I never could figure out bringing Grigson here in the first place- IIRC, he was terrible in Indy...

    Yes, he was a bad GM, but as in the case of all traditional GMs he once distinguished himself as a talent evaluator. A story not entirely different than Dorsey...

    @boo-fagley said:

    Gruden and his super bowl ring wanted Wolfe too and youre bitching.

    So what that Wolfe did not get the Packers GM job.

    First... Gruden? Are you fuc-king kidding me? Gruden? lmao... Give me a minute.... .... .... OK...

    Bitching? Hardly. Skeptical? You bet and for pretty good reason. I was sold Ray Farmer. His KC contributions were somehow "divined" and he became the hope around here. And I bought into his soul-crushing prospects... fool me once.

    Maybe landing a Packers' "also-ran" is a coup, but what specifically in Wolf's job performance can you point to that says it is?

  • @hoorta said:

    Speaking of Tour- does this mean Grigson is out with the hiring of Wolfe? What's the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? We still have DePodesta hanging around too. 

    If you want to get really ill, take a look at the guys we passed on that year.

    IIRC Grison is here because of his past relationship with Berry, so I suspect that as long as Berry is here, then Grigson has a shot at staying... although perhaps not in his current role which is not being "a cook". DePo's status is more interesting and likely far better protected.

    As for looking back... every year every team passes on multiple players every fan base wails about. I see no sense in doing so, so I don't play that game excepting those occasions when even I had conviction about the worth of a player at the time we passed. Last time that happened was Khalil Mack. Young Clay? Yeah, I wanted him too, but as much for the wrong reasons like family legacy, than the right ones, i.e., actually knowing his worth. I did not work at player evaluations back in 2009.

    @hoorta said:

    I never could figure out bringing Grigson here in the first place- IIRC, he was terrible in Indy...

    Yes, he was a bad GM, but as in the case of all traditional GMs he once distinguished himself as a talent evaluator. A story not entirely different than Dorsey...

    @boo-fagley said:

    Gruden and his super bowl ring wanted Wolfe too and youre bitching.

    So what that Wolfe did not get the Packers GM job.

    First... Gruden? Are you fuc-king kidding me? Gruden? lmao... Give me a minute.... .... .... OK...

    Bitching? Hardly. Skeptical? You bet and for pretty good reason. I was sold Ray Farmer. His KC contributions were somehow "divined" and he became the hope around here. And I bought into his soul-crushing prospects... fool me once.

    Maybe landing a Packers' "also-ran" is a coup, but what specifically in Wolf's job performance can you point to that says it is?

    @tour2ma said:

    1) IIRC Grison is here because of his past relationship with Berry, so I suspect that as long as Berry is here, then Grigson has a shot at staying... although perhaps not in his current role which is not being "a cook". DePo's status is more interesting and likely far better protected.

    2) As for looking back... every year every team passes on multiple players every fan base wails about. I see no sense in doing so, so I don't play that game excepting those occasions when even I had conviction about the worth of a player at the time we passed. Last time that happened was Khalil Mack. Young Clay? Yeah, I wanted him too, but as much for the wrong reasons like family legacy, than the right ones, i.e., actually knowing his worth. I did not work at player evaluations back in 2009.

    3) Yes, he was a bad GM, but as in the case of all traditional GMs he once distinguished himself as a talent evaluator. A story not entirely different than Dorsey...

    Bitching? Hardly. Skeptical? You bet and for pretty good reason. I was sold Ray Farmer. His KC contributions were somehow "divined" and he became the hope around here. And I bought into his soul-crushing prospects... fool me once.

    Maybe landing a Packers' "also-ran" is a coup, but what specifically in Wolf's job performance can you point to that says it is?

    1) Grigson is gone. Looks like Huey is bringing in his old pal Zampeze to be QB coach, fortunately not as OC. 

    2) I play that game more often- because 90% of the time I'm right in my assessments- at least on first round picks. Quinn, Weeden, Manziel for starters. (Most recently Kizer) We would have drafted LaDanian Tomlinson, and wouldn't have had to bother with Willie Green if Larry had been GM. Oh, I've had a few misses, Couch and Haloti Ngata, but we wouldn't have had the level of suckage over the last 20 years either. 

    3) Grigson sure didn't evaluate Trent Richardson properly.  🙂  Your scepticism over Dorsey's talent as a GM is duly noted, maybe I should adopt a wait and see attitude too.... Farmer looked good on paper, but then when some of the behind the scenes things started coming to light (Justin Gilbert) yikes. I still blame Haslam and the Homeless Guy for foisting Manziel on the Browns.  Regarding Wolfe, he has more experience evaluating talent in his foot than Sashi had in his entire body. 

    Regarding Sashi- I'm sure you know all about "The Hatchet Man" in the business world. Top management brings in a guy "to clean house" and then when things are sufficiently cleaned out personnel- wise the hatchet man gets hatcheted. I've seen it happen at least three times in my working career.