Skip to content

Pettine interviewing to be Packers DC

The Browns Board
23 13 864
  • stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Looks like Mike is coming back into the league. I was definitely frusturating during his era in Cleveland, but looking back on it he was leaps and bounds better than Hue.

    I hope he gets the gig.

  • Mr. Make-BelieveM Mr. Make-Believe wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I like Pettine.  Yeah I hope he gets the gig.  I still think he could be a successful head coach if he can ever clear himself of the PTSD of his time here.

  • I like Pettine.  Yeah I hope he gets the gig.  I still think he could be a successful head coach if he can ever clear himself of the PTSD of his time here.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @mr.-make-believe said:

    I like Pettine.  Yeah I hope he gets the gig.  I still think he could be a successful head coach if he can ever clear himself of the PTSD of his time here.

    Hamilton could use a good DC.😉

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I wonder if he looks back at his time here fondly?

  • I wonder if he looks back at his time here fondly?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I wonder if he looks back at his time here fondly?

    Only when he looks at the cheerleaders thread.😉

  • I wonder if he looks back at his time here fondly?

    stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I wonder if he looks back at his time here fondly?

    I bet he has a Manziel dart board

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    I wonder if he looks back at his time here fondly?

    I bet he has a Manziel dart board

    C ChicopeeJohn wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @stillmotion said:

    I bet he has a Manziel dart board

    If he doesn't appreciate his opportunity to coach an NFL team - in Cleveland or anywhere else - he'd have to be a fool.  I don't believe he is a fool.  Bittersweet, maybe.

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #8

    hear norv turner wants to get back into coaching

  • @stillmotion said:

    I bet he has a Manziel dart board

    If he doesn't appreciate his opportunity to coach an NFL team - in Cleveland or anywhere else - he'd have to be a fool.  I don't believe he is a fool.  Bittersweet, maybe.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @chicopeejohn said:

    If he doesn't appreciate his opportunity to coach an NFL team - in Cleveland or anywhere else - he'd have to be a fool.  I don't believe he is a fool.  Bittersweet, maybe.

    Definitely not a fool, he didn’t pursue another NFL coaching job until his Browns contract expired.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #10

    I always liked Mike's honesty. I sometimes liked his game day coaching. I never liked his defense. I still dislike (mom taught me to never hate) Huey with every fiber of my soul. 

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Good luck to him.  He was a lousy coach for us.  The players used to call him The Ghost.  He just walked around the practice field saying nothing...teaching nothing.

    He attempted a 60 yard FG with Devon Hester standing in the middle of the end zone waiting to return it.  TWICE!  'Cos the dopey Atlanta coach called time out to ice the kicker....so Pettine got to SEE Hester catch the ball in the middle of the end zone.....but he did it again anyway....and Hester ALMOST returned it for a TD.  -  Remember, a FG is NOT like a punt.  The players have to stay at the LOS and block for the FG.  No gunners of any sort.  Hester was able to catch the ball with PLENTY of green grass in front of him.

  • sydS syd

    hear norv turner wants to get back into coaching

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @syd said:

    hear norv turner wants to get back into coaching

    No he doesn't.  He's writing country music these days.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Pettine's problem was that he was supposed to be a defensive guru....yet, in his second season here, he had THE worst defense in the NFL.  I mean, he seemed a great guy...and a lot of us blamed his DC O'Neill.....but O'Neill was running Pettines defense, and Oh...did I say...it wasTHE worst in the NFL.   Lets see how he does this time around.

  • Pettine's problem was that he was supposed to be a defensive guru....yet, in his second season here, he had THE worst defense in the NFL.  I mean, he seemed a great guy...and a lot of us blamed his DC O'Neill.....but O'Neill was running Pettines defense, and Oh...did I say...it wasTHE worst in the NFL.   Lets see how he does this time around.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #14

    @the-gipper said:

    Oh...did I say...it wasTHE worst in the NFL.

    Yes.... twice. Problem is that per PFR that's not the case. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/

    Plus in his first season, the season he ran his D while Young Shanny tended to the O, he had the 9th ranked scoring D.... so there's that.

    In season 2 Shanny left, Mike moved to the O-side, O'Neil ran the D... and the rest is history... just not worst in the NFL that year.

    Interesting aside...

    • Since the NFL has been a 32-team league (2002) the Browns' Defense has never ranked last in Points or Yards Allowed.
    • Can't say the same for the Offense which has been #32 twice in Points Scored (2017, 2005) and once in Yards Gained (2009).
  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh...did I say...it wasTHE worst in the NFL.

    Yes.... twice. Problem is that per PFR that's not the case. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/

    Plus in his first season, the season he ran his D while Young Shanny tended to the O, he had the 9th ranked scoring D.... so there's that.

    In season 2 Shanny left, Mike moved to the O-side, O'Neil ran the D... and the rest is history... just not worst in the NFL that year.

    Interesting aside...

    • Since the NFL has been a 32-team league (2002) the Browns' Defense has never ranked last in Points or Yards Allowed.
    • Can't say the same for the Offense which has been #32 twice in Points Scored (2017, 2005) and once in Yards Gained (2009).
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #15

    @tour2ma said:

    Yes.... twice. Problem is that per PFR that's not the case. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/

    Plus in his first season, the season he ran his D while Young Shanny tended to the O, he had the 9th ranked scoring D.... so there's that.

    In season 2 Shanny left, Mike moved to the O-side, O'Neil ran the D... and the rest is history... just not worst in the NFL that year.

    Interesting aside...

    • Since the NFL has been a 32-team league (2002) the Browns' Defense has never ranked last in Points or Yards Allowed.
    • But they HAVE been #32 for 3 years running in point differeential
    • Can't say the same for the Offense which has been #32 twice in Points Scored (2017, 2005) and once in Yards Gained (2009).

    I

  • @tour2ma said:

    Yes.... twice. Problem is that per PFR that's not the case. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/

    Plus in his first season, the season he ran his D while Young Shanny tended to the O, he had the 9th ranked scoring D.... so there's that.

    In season 2 Shanny left, Mike moved to the O-side, O'Neil ran the D... and the rest is history... just not worst in the NFL that year.

    Interesting aside...

    • Since the NFL has been a 32-team league (2002) the Browns' Defense has never ranked last in Points or Yards Allowed.
    • But they HAVE been #32 for 3 years running in point differeential
    • Can't say the same for the Offense which has been #32 twice in Points Scored (2017, 2005) and once in Yards Gained (2009).

    I

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    But they HAVE been #32 for 3 years running in point differeential

    Which is not a defensive stat...

  • @the-gipper said:

    But they HAVE been #32 for 3 years running in point differeential

    Which is not a defensive stat...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #17

    @tour2ma said:

    Which is not a defensive stat...

    Its a combination stat.  Defense is one half of it. 

    In 2017 Browns were 32d in scoring offense.....31st in scoring defense

    2016: 31st in scoring offense...30th in scoring defense

    2015: 30th scoring offense...29th in scoring defense. 

    So...big effing deal...they were not 32d...but they were 31st/30th/29th.

    But....OK...give us 2014 when the defense was 9th in scoring defense.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #18

    Funny how it's never a "big effing deal" when it is you that are wrong...

    ... even when it's twice in one post for emphasis.

  • Funny how it's never a "big effing deal" when it is you that are wrong...

    ... even when it's twice in one post for emphasis.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @tour2ma said:

    Funny how it's never a "big effing deal" when it is you that are wrong...

    ... even when it's twice in one post for emphasis.

    Except, of course, I was NOT wrong.   The Browns have been 32d in point differential three years in a row. 

    I did edit in  a correction because I had looked at the wrong columns in the PFR website....but I corrected that like 10 seconds later. 

    Or is this just another case of you being a pedantic puss. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Funny how it's never a "big effing deal" when it is you that are wrong...

    ... even when it's twice in one post for emphasis.

    Except, of course, I was NOT wrong.   The Browns have been 32d in point differential three years in a row. 

    I did edit in  a correction because I had looked at the wrong columns in the PFR website....but I corrected that like 10 seconds later. 

    Or is this just another case of you being a pedantic puss. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    Or is this just another case of you being a pedantic puss. 

    No more than you being infallible... or knowledgeable for that matter.