Skip to content

Saquon Barkley Combine Bound

Locked The Browns Board
341 31 10.4k 1
  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by

    This guy does a pretty good job explaining it. 

    I agree with you though, I can't be mad if we take a QB #1 and take Barkley #4. I will laugh until the season start and all will be right with the world... Because we will then go to the Superbowl. And we will win it. Because the chance of Barkley being there at #4 is just as likely. 

    I think it's pretty consensus that we use our #1 and #4 on a QB/RB combo. The order is what I feel is the issue. If you could get your choice of QB at #4 would you then be okay with taking Barkley #1? Because then it goes down to the psychology or the dogma.  

    To get the offense going and to truly start to build some momentum, to actually have the defense's back and to put up a fight. 

    I think that this is the most important Draft I can remember, we are certainly at a crossroads. 

    #1 and #4 could turn out so many ways. Had we only had a single top 5 pick I think that this would be much simpler to logic out.

    With 2 picks in the top 4 this issue is going to be magnified- because what happens if the QB taken #1 Overall busts AND we don't get Barkley at #4... it'd be some dark days. Especially if even 1 of the projected 1st round QBs turns out better than our #1 guy and Barkley gets OROTY.   

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    Never take a HB that high when you have so many other holes. End of story. 

  • Never take a HB that high when you have so many other holes. End of story. 

    PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Never take a HB that high when you have so many other holes. End of story. 

    I respect your opinion although I do not agree with it. 

    What holes are you speaking of because we also have a glaring hole at RB now. Daisey Duke's are not the answer.

    CB at #4 Overall? Or is Fitz a FS? Does it matter though, Never take a CB that high when you have so many other holes. End of story.

    See, it's simply an opinion, or rather a difference of opinion. 

    Do you subscribe to the best player available philosophy or do you draft to fill holes? Or is it a combination of the two? Which takes precedence, and why? So you see, far from being the end of the story, we've simply glanced over the table of contents. 

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    You can't just repeat what I said about CBs and act like you're right....

    There is a history of two things hurting Barkley.

    1) HB talent us repeatedly found in later rounds. 

    2) HBs are becoming a lower priority position. 

    You're then using the #1 overall pick on a less important position that can be filled throughout the draft.

    You can't go purely BPA because our roster is not there. Even then, you need to think about the relatives value of the position. 

    If we can't get a top vet QB, I think we "have" to take our top target at 1. Then Fitz at 4. A position of greater need and greater value than HB.

  • You can't just repeat what I said about CBs and act like you're right....

    There is a history of two things hurting Barkley.

    1) HB talent us repeatedly found in later rounds. 

    2) HBs are becoming a lower priority position. 

    You're then using the #1 overall pick on a less important position that can be filled throughout the draft.

    You can't go purely BPA because our roster is not there. Even then, you need to think about the relatives value of the position. 

    If we can't get a top vet QB, I think we "have" to take our top target at 1. Then Fitz at 4. A position of greater need and greater value than HB.

    PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    You can't just repeat what I said about CBs and act like you're right....

    There is a history of two things hurting Barkley.

    1) HB talent us repeatedly found in later rounds. 

    2) HBs are becoming a lower priority position. 

    You're then using the #1 overall pick on a less important position that can be filled throughout the draft.

    You can't go purely BPA because our roster is not there. Even then, you need to think about the relatives value of the position. 

    If we can't get a top vet QB, I think we "have" to take our top target at 1. Then Fitz at 4. A position of greater need and greater value than HB.

    1) Talent at ALL positions can be found in later rounds, correct? 

    2) I would disagree that HBs are becoming a lower priority position, I would say the opposite. It's about the player and the skillset. Many teams, have proven that you get a lot of production from the HB position now because defenses have geared up for the passing attack. The more dominant backs are proving difficult for teams to stop because of this. If you can get a HB in open space against a team's smaller players it becomes a nightmare for defenses. 

    Where would our roster be exactly, in terms of what our needs are, from your standards?

    Mine- QB and RB are the only real holes I see. Maybe if I'm being picky- CB, WR, S? Much later though.

    Breaking it down.

    CB- McCourty, Taylor, Calhoun are pretty good. Don't forget about Howard Wilson, who was looking pretty good until the injury. He should be back healthy this year. Could we use a player here? Sure, but trumping BPA for a positon that is pretty solid seems like a luxury pick for me.

    WR- Gordon, Coleman, Coates, Higgins, Louis. Not seeing the "Need" to trump BPA here as you already have a #1 WR.

    SS or FS? I like what Kindred does out there, I like Peppers too. What roles they play, how they are used and why they are used that way are more important questions. Because if you spend the #4 on a player like Fitzpatrick and you put him at midfield, much like Peppers was used, you're going to get the same amount of production. Again, I like Fitzpatrick but I'm not seeing the need to trump BPA. So I guess I don't see where our roster would need to be in order to start taking the best players. IMO that's the only way we get better. 

    An example- Last year we took Garrett #1 because he was the best player. I didn't think that we needed to go that route because we had Nassib and Ogbah at the ends. But we took Garrett. Now we have Garrett, Nassib and Ogbah. Garrett is a lock on one side and Nassib and Ogbah hold down the other. We no longer need to draft DE. We took Njoku and we already had DeValve, he's doing well, no NEED to draft a TE now with both DeValve and Njoku.

    When you start to draft for your Need you get picks like Kizer. Now you've picked him high enough that you HAVE to play him.  

    I think the best scenario would be to get Cousins or McCarron in FA. Draft Barkley #1 and Fitzpatrick #4 (FS and Peppers at SS). Hopefully get a stud C at the top of the second, solidify the OL. We'd have to know where Thomas is, if he's coming back and what the timeline is for finding his replacement, because finding a LT becomes a need in a hurry if Thomas is done. You might have to trade back into the first to secure one of these guys like McGlinchey, Williams or Brown.  

  • This guy does a pretty good job explaining it. 

    I agree with you though, I can't be mad if we take a QB #1 and take Barkley #4. I will laugh until the season start and all will be right with the world... Because we will then go to the Superbowl. And we will win it. Because the chance of Barkley being there at #4 is just as likely. 

    I think it's pretty consensus that we use our #1 and #4 on a QB/RB combo. The order is what I feel is the issue. If you could get your choice of QB at #4 would you then be okay with taking Barkley #1? Because then it goes down to the psychology or the dogma.  

    To get the offense going and to truly start to build some momentum, to actually have the defense's back and to put up a fight. 

    I think that this is the most important Draft I can remember, we are certainly at a crossroads. 

    #1 and #4 could turn out so many ways. Had we only had a single top 5 pick I think that this would be much simpler to logic out.

    With 2 picks in the top 4 this issue is going to be magnified- because what happens if the QB taken #1 Overall busts AND we don't get Barkley at #4... it'd be some dark days. Especially if even 1 of the projected 1st round QBs turns out better than our #1 guy and Barkley gets OROTY.   

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @poeticg said:

    This guy does a pretty good job explaining it. 

    I agree with you though, I can't be mad if we take a QB #1 and take Barkley #4. I will laugh until the season start and all will be right with the world... Because we will then go to the Superbowl. And we will win it. Because the chance of Barkley being there at #4 is just as likely. 

    I think it's pretty consensus that we use our #1 and #4 on a QB/RB combo. The order is what I feel is the issue. If you could get your choice of QB at #4 would you then be okay with taking Barkley #1? Because then it goes down to the psychology or the dogma.  

    To get the offense going and to truly start to build some momentum, to actually have the defense's back and to put up a fight. 

    I think that this is the most important Draft I can remember, we are certainly at a crossroads. 

    #1 and #4 could turn out so many ways. Had we only had a single top 5 pick I think that this would be much simpler to logic out.

    With 2 picks in the top 4 this issue is going to be magnified- because what happens if the QB taken #1 Overall busts AND we don't get Barkley at #4... it'd be some dark days. Especially if even 1 of the projected 1st round QBs turns out better than our #1 guy and Barkley gets OROTY.   

    That isn't even "consensus" Po. Most of the mocks have the Browns going QB\Fitzpatrick. I've seen a few where Barkley falls all the way to #9 to the 49ers. 

    But I can't get over you're so paranoid about losing Barkley you spewed the Giants already are taking him if the Browns go QB at #1. Sorry, that's one of the dumber things you've ever posted. Do you have any idea how Front Offices work? At this point, teams don't even have their draft boards set. They may have players roughly ranked A, B, C, or D prospects. May set up a rough preliminary draft after the combine. It won't get serious until after the pro days, private workouts and interviews- up until a week before the draft. 

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    POG, I don't expect you to reasonable or sensible about anything. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    33 pages and counting of Barkley nonsense.

    It's almost impressive. 

  • 33 pages and counting of Barkley nonsense.

    It's almost impressive. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @dutch-oven said:

    33 pages and counting of Barkley nonsense.

    It's almost impressive. 

    By far the most captivating thoughts....

    On 2/17/2018 at 6:37 PM, PoeticG said:

    I think you might have recalled that I said that he had a fitting name for the Dawgpound. I never said he would be as good as I'm saying Barkley is.

    Bark-ley-ville?

    Barkless if they don't pick him? 😆

  • 33 pages and counting of Barkley nonsense.

    It's almost impressive. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    33 pages and counting of Barkley nonsense.

    It's almost impressive. 

    Almost? IS. And Tour's so mad at me for shutting the other thread down he's on vacation...  🙁 

    I'll let this one go to 20 pages, or the Combine whichever comes first.  Then time for a new one. 

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by hoorta

    Great article on Barkley and the Combine... http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/saquon-barkely-nfl-combine-mock-draft-running-back-first-round/glze8toz3jz81f8q5odpr22ps

    -------------------------------------------------------

    Saquon Barkley loved watching the NFL Scouting Combine on television.

    That's one of the reasons the star Penn State running back is about to pay it forward for those who also get their kicks watching draft-evaluation drills.Unlike other elite prospects who previously have shunned Combine participation in favor of more comfortable surroundings at their schools' Pro Days and private team workouts, Barkley is good to go for Indianapolis in late February.

    "I've been watching the Combine since I was a little kid," Barkley told co-host Gil Brandt and me Wednesday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "That’s something I dreamed about doing. Getting an invitation was special. You definitely want to take advantage of the opportunity you’ve got there."

    In his case, that could be elevating himself to the top spot in April’s draft if Cleveland decides Barkley is too promising to pass up.

    The Browns, who hold the Nos. 1 and 4 overall picks, aren't the only club with a high choice that could use a bell-cow rusher who can also thrive as a receiver and kick returner. The Giants (No. 2) and Colts (No. 3) both averaged less than 4 yards per carry in 2017.

    Nobody could blame the Broncos (No. 5), the Jets (No. 6) or the Buccaneers (No. 7), either, if they considered trading up to land a 21-year-old phenom who became Penn State's second all-time leading rusher in just three seasons before turning pro as a junior.

     
     

    "Obviously, I'm not blind to the teams that do need a running back," Barkley said. "But you can't really look too far ahead at what teams may pick you.

    "The way I look at it, every team fits me or I can fit any team because at the end of the day you want to adapt to the team and coaches that pick you. I don't look at myself as a one-dimensional back. I look at myself as a back that can do it all and is going to continue to work and grow in every part of the game. Whatever team drafts me is going to get a person who’s going to try and be the best."

    That attitude is reflected in Barkley’s approach to the Combine.

    Barkley has spent the past several weeks prepping with renowned trainer Tom Shaw in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. Barkley said that work includes "little stuff like how you run a 40 (yard dash) with the start, how many steps you take in the (short) shuttle and where you put your hands for the bench press."

    "To be out there with some of the best of the best and the best at your position … It's not a competitive event but it really is, if you think about it," Barkley said. “I just want to do the best I possibly can to not only challenge myself but challenge the other backs in there, too.

    "I'm not just going to bash anybody that decides not to (participate). Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. But me, I think it’s important. It helps you see where you’re at personally and against competitors who are competing for the same spot as you."

    One area in which Barkley need not worry is the interview process with NFL teams at the Combine. He received high marks for his character while at Penn State and by all accounts has a squeaky-clean background.

    "The way I'm going to attack (the interviews) is to be honest and open and just let it all out there because I feel like I don't have anything to hide," Barkley said. “I give credit to my family, coaches and friends that have kept me in line at school and made sure I didn't make dumb decision.

    Unlike some other prospects who might feel uncomfortable about the 15-minute "get-to-know-you" sessions at the Combine, Barkley is looking forward to learning more about his potential suitors.

    "As they're asking you questions, you're getting to know the people that you might be surrounding yourself with,” he said. "You never know — that team might be the team that drafts you and you want to give a good first impression.

    "They want to give a good first impression, too, because that's where you’ll be playing for the next five or 10 years."

    Barkley isn't blowing smoke about having a big-picture vision. He said part of his Combine prep has focused on bettering his flexibility along with other training methods designed to increase his chances for NFL success and longevity.

    The only thing Barkley can't control is where that career will begin.

    "The biggest thing I’ve just been thinking about is that my life is going to change in a matter of two months," Barkley said. "I'm going to be in a new city with a new team living my dream.

    "It's exciting to think about it. It gets me fired up because I’m passionate about this game. I fell in love with this sport at a young age and everything that I’ve worked for is coming all together."

    Everyone who watches the Combine should find that out soon enough.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  • Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by

    Pog, now you are just lying, or was lying before.

    I gave you 2 options before, ANY QB at #1 AND Barkley at #4 OR #1 Barkley and what could be your #3 quarterback at #4. You picked to take #1 Barkley and #4 a Quarterback.

    And you have also said how monumental and great it would be to have a RB go #1. So you chose to have Barkley at 1. So from your words it wouldn't be great to get the QB at 1 and Barkley at 4.

  • Pog, now you are just lying, or was lying before.

    I gave you 2 options before, ANY QB at #1 AND Barkley at #4 OR #1 Barkley and what could be your #3 quarterback at #4. You picked to take #1 Barkley and #4 a Quarterback.

    And you have also said how monumental and great it would be to have a RB go #1. So you chose to have Barkley at 1. So from your words it wouldn't be great to get the QB at 1 and Barkley at 4.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @gunz41 said:

    Pog, now you are just lying, or was lying before.

    I gave you 2 options before, ANY QB at #1 AND Barkley at #4 OR #1 Barkley and what could be your #3 quarterback at #4. You picked to take #1 Barkley and #4 a Quarterback.

    And you have also said how monumental and great it would be to have a RB go #1. So you chose to have Barkley at 1. So from your words it wouldn't be great to get the QB at 1 and Barkley at 4.

    It's hopeless Gunz.  If Barkley is gone at #4 we take BPA there, (Fitzpatrick or Chubb) and take our pick of the plethora of good running backs that will be there at #33. Po has got it in his mind positively, without a doubt, Saquon is going in the top three picks.  Hell's Bells, there's two possible scenarios where the Browns would draft him #1 overall- both unlikely. First is we land Cousins in free agency. Second is we have all of the top three quarterbacks ranked exactly equally. We've posited this around 10 times already, and Po's not listening.  I've never seen this much fixation on a draft prospect- ever. Hey, I happen to like Baker Mayfield a lot- you don't see me starting 30 pages of the same garbage why he's our only best option at the top of the draft. 

    Let's take a look at a line from that article he posted... "Nobody could blame the Broncos (No. 5), the Jets (No. 6) or the Buccaneers (No. 7), either, if they considered trading up to land a 21-year-old phenom who became Penn State's second all-time leading rusher in just three seasons before turning pro as a junior."

    Nobody could blame the Broncos or Jets for trading up to take a Quarterback either. Jags jumping the Browns for a running back would flat-out be too costly draft wise.  

    He might want to read what one of the guys he quoted- Bucky Brooks said- why the Steelers shouldn't pay Le'veon Bell. And why in today's NFL, taking a running back high is a 4 year proposition before they're used up. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916582/article/steelers-shouldnt-pay-leveon-bell-johnny-manziels-best-path

  • @gunz41 said:

    Pog, now you are just lying, or was lying before.

    I gave you 2 options before, ANY QB at #1 AND Barkley at #4 OR #1 Barkley and what could be your #3 quarterback at #4. You picked to take #1 Barkley and #4 a Quarterback.

    And you have also said how monumental and great it would be to have a RB go #1. So you chose to have Barkley at 1. So from your words it wouldn't be great to get the QB at 1 and Barkley at 4.

    It's hopeless Gunz.  If Barkley is gone at #4 we take BPA there, (Fitzpatrick or Chubb) and take our pick of the plethora of good running backs that will be there at #33. Po has got it in his mind positively, without a doubt, Saquon is going in the top three picks.  Hell's Bells, there's two possible scenarios where the Browns would draft him #1 overall- both unlikely. First is we land Cousins in free agency. Second is we have all of the top three quarterbacks ranked exactly equally. We've posited this around 10 times already, and Po's not listening.  I've never seen this much fixation on a draft prospect- ever. Hey, I happen to like Baker Mayfield a lot- you don't see me starting 30 pages of the same garbage why he's our only best option at the top of the draft. 

    Let's take a look at a line from that article he posted... "Nobody could blame the Broncos (No. 5), the Jets (No. 6) or the Buccaneers (No. 7), either, if they considered trading up to land a 21-year-old phenom who became Penn State's second all-time leading rusher in just three seasons before turning pro as a junior."

    Nobody could blame the Broncos or Jets for trading up to take a Quarterback either. Jags jumping the Browns for a running back would flat-out be too costly draft wise.  

    He might want to read what one of the guys he quoted- Bucky Brooks said- why the Steelers shouldn't pay Le'veon Bell. And why in today's NFL, taking a running back high is a 4 year proposition before they're used up. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916582/article/steelers-shouldnt-pay-leveon-bell-johnny-manziels-best-path

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    It's hopeless Gunz.  If Barkley is gone at #4 we take BPA there, (Fitzpatrick or Chubb) and take our pick of the plethora of good running backs that will be there at #33. Po has got it in his mind positively, without a doubt, Saquon is going in the top three picks.  Hell's Bells, there's two possible scenarios where the Browns would draft him #1 overall- both unlikely. First is we land Cousins in free agency. Second is we have all of the top three quarterbacks ranked exactly equally. We've posited this around 10 times already, and Po's not listening.  I've never seen this much fixation on a draft prospect- ever. Hey, I happen to like Baker Mayfield a lot- you don't see me starting 30 pages of the same garbage why he's our only best option at the top of the draft. 

    Let's take a look at a line from that article he posted... "Nobody could blame the Broncos (No. 5), the Jets (No. 6) or the Buccaneers (No. 7), either, if they considered trading up to land a 21-year-old phenom who became Penn State's second all-time leading rusher in just three seasons before turning pro as a junior."

    Nobody could blame the Broncos or Jets for trading up to take a Quarterback either. Jags jumping the Browns for a running back would flat-out be too costly draft wise.  

    He might want to read what one of the guys he quoted- Bucky Brooks said- why the Steelers shouldn't pay Le'veon Bell. And why in today's NFL, taking a running back high is a 4 year proposition before they're used up. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916582/article/steelers-shouldnt-pay-leveon-bell-johnny-manziels-best-path

    It may be hopeless, and I certainly have gotten used to the best ever stuff. That wasn't the issue with this post.

    I really wanted to see where his priority was when I asked recently. There was 2 scenarios: 1. Top QB (whether that's Baker, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, etc) and even gave them hypothetical "rankings", AND Barkley at 4 or Barkley at 1 and 3rd QB at 4, he chose the latter.

    So he is more concerned about Barkley going number 1 for the looks of Barkley going 1 than getting the best players. He said as much. So he lied saying he would love to get QB at 1 and Barkley 4.

    One of these times he lied.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    so...what if the Browns DO draft Josh Allen at one, and Barkley at 4?

    who be dancin ?xYGjM.gif

  • so...what if the Browns DO draft Josh Allen at one, and Barkley at 4?

    who be dancin ?xYGjM.gif

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @calfoxwc said:

    so...what if the Browns DO draft Josh Allen at one, and Barkley at 4?

    who be dancin ?xYGjM.gif

    Not sure about dancing.....but I may have similar enthusiasm as Bengal fans did when drafting  David Klingler and Kijana Carter  (though yes, those were in different years)

    Now....don't get me wrong....Bengals fans had GREAT enthusiasm when they drafted those guys.....but I am talking about the 3 years later level of enthusiasm.

  • so...what if the Browns DO draft Josh Allen at one, and Barkley at 4?

    who be dancin ?xYGjM.gif

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    so...what if the Browns DO draft Josh Allen at one, and Barkley at 4?

    who be dancin ?

    Oh gasp! That better never, ever happen.....not even joking about it! Two rookie quarterbacks OMG, scary thought. 

    RB + DB, DB + OL, RB + WR well one of the mentioned +  a QB if they can't sign one. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    so...what if the Browns DO draft Josh Allen at one, and Barkley at 4?

    who be dancin ?

    Oh gasp! That better never, ever happen.....not even joking about it! Two rookie quarterbacks OMG, scary thought. 

    RB + DB, DB + OL, RB + WR well one of the mentioned +  a QB if they can't sign one. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh gasp! That better never, ever happen.....not even joking about it! Two rookie quarterbacks OMG, scary thought. 

    RB + DB, DB + OL, RB + WR well one of the mentioned +  a QB if they can't sign one. 

    Uhm....Barkley is not a QB

  • @mjp28 said:

    Oh gasp! That better never, ever happen.....not even joking about it! Two rookie quarterbacks OMG, scary thought. 

    RB + DB, DB + OL, RB + WR well one of the mentioned +  a QB if they can't sign one. 

    Uhm....Barkley is not a QB

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Uhm....Barkley is not a QB

    Oh god brain freeze, I had this "my QB is better than your QB" thing going on in my head......plus I'm watching the Young & the Restless......enough excuses?

    Actually I could see QB1 plus Barkley 4 or vice versa.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Uhm....Barkley is not a QB

    Oh god brain freeze, I had this "my QB is better than your QB" thing going on in my head......plus I'm watching the Young & the Restless......enough excuses?

    Actually I could see QB1 plus Barkley 4 or vice versa.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh god brain freeze, I had this "my QB is better than your QB" thing going on in my head......plus I'm watching the Young & the Restless......enough excuses?

    Actually I could see QB1 plus Barkley 4 or vice versa.

    the only versa I'll buy is if you can guarantee me we can get Darnold or Mayfield at #4.