Larry Ogunjobi 2nd Among Rookie Interior Defenders
-
Very interesting. So only 30% of the snaps. Perhaps Browns DC needs to take note and play him closer to 70%.
-
-
The GOONS need to ramp things up this coming year. They ALL need to perform better...perform like GOONS
Garrett
Ogbah
Ogunjobi
Nassib
Shelton.
-
PFF gives good numbers to the UCF guy who at 225 can't cover in space. I hope we don't draft him.. he couldn't play when he was named Barkevious Mingo.
-
http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/id/9
Vita Vera's stats don't come close to Harrison Phillips.
-
Definitely rooting for the guy! As a quick reminder he was the player ever drafted from my alma mater (UNC-Charlotte). Definitely liked what I saw from him as well giving his limiting playing time. I'd be remiss if Gregg doesn't see the potential and give him more looks out there.
Say what you will, but a front seven rotation around Garrett, Ogbah, Larry, Collins, Shelton, Nassib, Schobery and Kirksey isn't looking too bad on paper. Gotta add some more DE depth hopefully but still, promising.
-
I actually think Sashi did a pretty good job getting some of these guys. I like a lot of our guys, they are good natured and football is important to them. Those were the criteria and we seemed to excel in finding these guys. They can't win yet for Sheet but they try HARD. A think we're going to see all their work pay of with interest this year, I have a feeling.
-
Shelton is a free agent after this season, I'm curious if they will give him a new contract, or let him walk and let Ogunjobi and Brantley take over.
-
Were missing a steal in here..Tavon Coley is a beast..So yea, I may be the only guy that goes back & watches 0-16 game tape but that's not what am Watching..Gregg Williams needs a good swiff kick in the arrss..Not only did Peppers kill us from playing in a different area code. But Williams got caught with more sub package guessing he made it easy on QB's except Bortles. most opponents offensive plays were called at LOS with 15-12 seconds on play clock. QB was reading sub packages..It was rare but Shelton,Coley & Ogun need to stay on field. Expect Brantley to have a good camp..His last 2 games got him some playing time
-
-
I was pleased with Okunjobi, especially considering he came from a nothing school and we were all worried about the competition he faced. What I really liked was he got some valuable experience as a rookie, and he actually managed to make some impact plays. Now, can he take that next LEAP? Can he become a force for our defense? Don't laugh, it happens for other teams. Maybe it's our turn to find a middle round difference maker? And we all know Larry is a worker.
-
an Ogunjobi is the terrific kind of player you get, when you draft for
character, work ethic, love for the game, and THEN excellent talent.
-
A sports reporter that was talking with 92 The Fan by phone was saying that Larry O was the best interior DLineman on the team and that our dumb coaches hardly ever played him.
He also claimed that we were out-coached in every game last year. As I recall, he thought we were the worst coached team he'd ever seen...including HS & Pee-Wee. And that playing Peppers in Punt Formation was stupid. (I use that Punt Formation explanation also)
- It IS quite hard to fathom how a 1 and 31 coach was retained.
-
A sports reporter that was talking with 92 The Fan by phone was saying that Larry O was the best interior DLineman on the team and that our dumb coaches hardly ever played him.
He also claimed that we were out-coached in every game last year. As I recall, he thought we were the worst coached team he'd ever seen...including HS & Pee-Wee. And that playing Peppers in Punt Formation was stupid. (I use that Punt Formation explanation also)
- It IS quite hard to fathom how a 1 and 31 coach was retained.
It IS quite hard to fathom how a 1 and 31 coach was retained.
I still 100% believe that Hue and the coaching staff was retained by Haslam almost exclusively for the reason that Haslam needs to show the rest of the NFL - and future potential hires - that you can get a third year while trying to fix the train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns. Hue remaining with the Browns is penance for Haslam's prior sins.
-
Explains why Cleveland's run defense was 4th in the NFL last season.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef
The Browns defense was better than 4 of the 2017 post season teams Atlanta, KC, NE and Tenn.
The difference Ryan, Smith, Brady and Mariota. The defense had its lapses like all defense, but they were not the problem in 2017. Greg Williams should absolutely be back in 2018 and given a salary increase. Furthermore, if Huey $hits the bed, Williams can step in and save the season from another total disaster.
-
It IS quite hard to fathom how a 1 and 31 coach was retained.
I still 100% believe that Hue and the coaching staff was retained by Haslam almost exclusively for the reason that Haslam needs to show the rest of the NFL - and future potential hires - that you can get a third year while trying to fix the train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns. Hue remaining with the Browns is penance for Haslam's prior sins.
I still 100% believe that Hue and the coaching staff was retained by Haslam almost exclusively for the reason that Haslam needs to show the rest of the NFL - and future potential hires - that you can get a third year while trying to fix the train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns. Hue remaining with the Browns is penance for Haslam's prior sins.
Bingo Bango Bongo! We have a winner!

-
I still 100% believe that Hue and the coaching staff was retained by Haslam almost exclusively for the reason that Haslam needs to show the rest of the NFL - and future potential hires - that you can get a third year while trying to fix the train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns. Hue remaining with the Browns is penance for Haslam's prior sins.
Bingo Bango Bongo! We have a winner!

Bingo Bango Bongo! We have a winner!

Oooh what do I get?

-
Shelton is a free agent after this season, I'm curious if they will give him a new contract, or let him walk and let Ogunjobi and Brantley take over.
Shelton is a free agent after this season, I'm curious if they will give him a new contract, or let him walk and let Ogunjobi and Brantley take over.
Excellent question and I have a probable answer. Okunjobi and Brantley offer different abilities than Danny. Danny is more of a run stuffer and space eating machine. He often requires a double team, which could open things up for other people. He can sometimes push back the pocket and get a little penetration, but that's not his game. Danny took a big step after his rookie year and started to get some nice recognition. However, Brantley and Okunjobi provide different skill sets, and they are both more of slasher and penetrating type guys who can cut through the line and blow up a play early. Brantley AND Okunjobi could BOTH end up being steals in the draft, in fact, I'd bet money on it. To answer the question, Danny isn't going ANYWHERE. He's in his 4th season with us, and he was a first round pick. That means we can sign him to the optional 5th year that comes along with all first round selections. We won't have to "re-sign" him until after the 2019, but it's likely we'll extend him before that because he's a very solid player.
-
Were missing a steal in here..Tavon Coley is a beast..So yea, I may be the only guy that goes back & watches 0-16 game tape but that's not what am Watching..Gregg Williams needs a good swiff kick in the arrss..Not only did Peppers kill us from playing in a different area code. But Williams got caught with more sub package guessing he made it easy on QB's except Bortles. most opponents offensive plays were called at LOS with 15-12 seconds on play clock. QB was reading sub packages..It was rare but Shelton,Coley & Ogun need to stay on field. Expect Brantley to have a good camp..His last 2 games got him some playing time
Were missing a steal in here..Tavon Coley is a beast..So yea, I may be the only guy that goes back & watches 0-16 game tape but that's not what am Watching..Gregg Williams needs a good swiff kick in the arrss..Not only did Peppers kill us from playing in a different area code. But Williams got caught with more sub package guessing he made it easy on QB's except Bortles. most opponents offensive plays were called at LOS with 15-12 seconds on play clock. QB was reading sub packages..It was rare but Shelton,Coley & Ogun need to stay on field. Expect Brantley to have a good camp..His last 2 games got him some playing time
In fairness, there was a TON of inexperience with Coley, Ogunjobi, Brantley, Peppers and others. That said, Coley is a beast in Williams' system while he was undrafted out of another system. Ogunjobi came from a football program that very infrequently equips the NFL with starters - and yet we're talking about him in a positive way too. Before we lost Meder to injury - PFF had 3 of our defensive line ranked in the top 6 against the run. We lost 2 of those guys to injury (Ogbah and Meder) shortly thereafter. As much as a team coming off 1 -15 football couldn't afford to lose the #1 and #4 ranked guys against the run - we're speaking very highly of DTs stepping up in the rotation regardless of their inexperience. In the process, our DT tandems were badass enough to keep Schobert blocker-free enough to lead the NFL in tackles to earm a Pro Bowl alternate honor. I don't see that as a bad reflection of Gregg Williams at all.
Gregg Williams has been a DC for the following productive Safeties in the NFL - Malcolm Jenkins (on a position change from Corner) as a rookie for the Superbowl Champion Saints, Sean Taylor in Washington, Blaine Bishop for the Super-Bowl Runner-up Titans to the Rams in 99, and I think Peppers was the only one he exercised extreme caution with (which could have been since he was used way more like an extra LBer at Missedagain). And I'm willing to bet all those teams had WAY better/more talented corners than we relied on in 2017. Having said that, Williams brought Peppers up closer to the line of scrimmage the last game vrs Pittsburgh and he had an INT, Sack and a big day (easily the closest he looked all season to the guy he was in college). I think we'll see more of that especially if we improve our talent and depth at corner. I'm not a big fan of Jamar Taylor at all - we overpaid a guy Miami completely gave up on. While I LIKE how McCourtey played before his ankle injury - his 31 years of age prevented him from healing just as much as coming back too soon from injury did. We HAVE to improve our corners if we ever want to compete against the Antonio Browns, AJ greens and JuJu Smith-Schusters of the division.
-
It IS quite hard to fathom how a 1 and 31 coach was retained.
I still 100% believe that Hue and the coaching staff was retained by Haslam almost exclusively for the reason that Haslam needs to show the rest of the NFL - and future potential hires - that you can get a third year while trying to fix the train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns. Hue remaining with the Browns is penance for Haslam's prior sins.
I still 100% believe that Hue and the coaching staff was retained by Haslam almost exclusively for the reason that Haslam needs to show the rest of the NFL - and future potential hires - that you can get a third year while trying to fix the train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns. Hue remaining with the Browns is penance for Haslam's prior sins.
I'm beyond excited that we kept our head coach, and I wouldn't be surprised if we are rewarded by our owner's patience. Hue is in year 3, hopefully we have some guys "making the leap", and we're armed with a ton of early picks and cold, hard cash. Look, we didn't win a single game last year, I get it. I'm not expecting us to warp into a dominant team overnight. However, we're getting back some serious players from injury, we're probably going to have a veteran QB starting the season, and we might have Josh Gordon from spring to winter. On defense, we're going to have a nice front 7, HOPEFULLY some secondary help in free agency and the draft, and HOPEFULLY some guys take that next step to become badasses. Also, don't forget we have Myles Garrett, the former #1 pick. He could develop into an absolute menace in 2018, and something tells me we're going to figure out how to use him the best way possible.
Again, I'm not going crazy here. I'm not saying we're taking home the AFC North or anything like that. What I AM saying is that I see a very real possibility our young team goes from zero wins to something around 5 or even 6 if some things go our way. We need to force WAY more turnovers, commit FAR less, and we need to score more TDs in the red zone while forcing more FG's on defense. Nail the freaking draft. Don't get cute and trade down like a bunch of asshats. Overpay a few select guys in free agency, and let's win some freaking games so we can keep our coach, really BUILD something, and finally dig our butts out of this abysmal hole we've been dying in for 18 years.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login