Skip to content

AJ to Buffalo

The Browns Board
19 4 371
  • Actually AJ McCarron was not the last choice of the Buffalo Bills. Tyrod Taylor was and they found a sucker to take him off their hands and throw away a very nice draft pick.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Actually AJ McCarron was not the last choice of the Buffalo Bills. Tyrod Taylor was and they found a sucker to take him off their hands and throw away a very nice draft pick.

    WSS

    Good for them....and good for us.   \

    I mean.....consider the QBs we have used 3rd round picks on:    Charlie Frye, Colt McCoy, Cody Kessler, Eric Zeier,  Mark Miller.

    Fuyckin'A....consider some of the guys we have used a 1st round pick on:  Quinn, JFF, Weeden, Phipps

    Here is an absolute fact:   The Browns have NOT drafted a successful QB in any round really since 1972....when they took Brian Sipe in the 13th round.

    Exceptions:   Kosar....taken in the Supplemental draft....and most people would not include him....but Tim Couch was not as bad as people thought. 

    NONE of them   had as much as a 3 game over .500 record.    Sipe actually only was 2 games over .500 for his career:  57-55.

    So...all I am saying is that I have NO qualms about using a 3rd round pick for a guy with a 23-20 career winning record....

  • @domcucch1994 said:

    Taylor is a better "bum" than the bums we've had playing QB the last couple of years..

    Not really. For the last 2 years the Browns have been the worst team in the history of the league and it has not been quarterback play that has made that happen. 

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Not really. For the last 2 years the Browns have been the worst team in the history of the league and it has not been quarterback play that has made that happen. 

    WSS

    Oh....I completely disagree with that.   QB play has been THE primary reason for that level of  suckitude.  (along with the HC). Not saying the rest of the team has been good...but  QB=  primary.

  • As you probably know, or should know if you are not just bickering, I'm not talking about a quarterback at 65 I'm talking about plenty of other good quality useful players that come at the bottom of the 2nd or the top of the third round.

    WSS

  • http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31429/a-j-mccarron-should-not-be-compared-to-tyrod-taylor-in-2018

    As you know I wanted McCarron and even like him in the draft.

    2 years not ridiculously expensive and a bridge. So the speculation on him demanding to start long term is moot. Well not moot, just wrong. I've made it clear I think Taylor is a bum but that his experience should give him the edge over last year's version of Kizer. Of course that would count for anybody with any real experience. And I think Kizer would have been better this year with a year behind him. 

    Still I think the Bills got one over on us here.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31429/a-j-mccarron-should-not-be-compared-to-tyrod-taylor-in-2018

    As you know I wanted McCarron and even like him in the draft.

    2 years not ridiculously expensive and a bridge. So the speculation on him demanding to start long term is moot. Well not moot, just wrong. I've made it clear I think Taylor is a bum but that his experience should give him the edge over last year's version of Kizer. Of course that would count for anybody with any real experience. And I think Kizer would have been better this year with a year behind him. 

    Still I think the Bills got one over on us here.

    WSS

    Taylor is not a bum as his performance the past three years proves.

    McCarron is exactly what Taylor was three years ago before he he got his shot in Buffalo ... unproven.

    If McCarron does better with his opportunity ... winning record, playoff appearance, 92.5 Rating, ... good for him.

    Not going to lose one day's sleep for trading a 3rd round pick for a proven veteran QB to bridge us to a draft pick.

    Your idea of a "bum" is peculiar. Aren't you the guy that held out hope for Johnny long past his usefelness as a Cleveland Brown?

    Zombo

  • @westside-steve said:

    http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31429/a-j-mccarron-should-not-be-compared-to-tyrod-taylor-in-2018

    As you know I wanted McCarron and even like him in the draft.

    2 years not ridiculously expensive and a bridge. So the speculation on him demanding to start long term is moot. Well not moot, just wrong. I've made it clear I think Taylor is a bum but that his experience should give him the edge over last year's version of Kizer. Of course that would count for anybody with any real experience. And I think Kizer would have been better this year with a year behind him. 

    Still I think the Bills got one over on us here.

    WSS

    Taylor is not a bum as his performance the past three years proves.

    McCarron is exactly what Taylor was three years ago before he he got his shot in Buffalo ... unproven.

    If McCarron does better with his opportunity ... winning record, playoff appearance, 92.5 Rating, ... good for him.

    Not going to lose one day's sleep for trading a 3rd round pick for a proven veteran QB to bridge us to a draft pick.

    Your idea of a "bum" is peculiar. Aren't you the guy that held out hope for Johnny long past his usefelness as a Cleveland Brown?

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Taylor is not a bum as his performance the past three years prove.

    McCarron is exactly what Taylor was three years ago before he he got his shot in Buffalo ... unproven.

    If McCarron does better with his opportunity ... winning record, playoff appearance, 92.5 Rating, ... good for him.

    Not going to lose one day's sleep for trading a 3rd round pick for a proven veteran QB to bridge us to a draft pick.

    Your idea of a "bum" is peculiar. Aren't you the guy that held out hope for Johnny long past his usefelness as a Cleveland Brown?

    Zombo

    Aren't you the guy who drove the Kizer bandwagon? How many games did he win and how many games did Johnny win? One more time if Taylor was worth anything Buffalo, who desperately needs a quarterback, would not have flushed him at their first opportunity.

    WSS

  • Zombo said:

    Taylor is not a bum as his performance the past three years prove.

    McCarron is exactly what Taylor was three years ago before he he got his shot in Buffalo ... unproven.

    If McCarron does better with his opportunity ... winning record, playoff appearance, 92.5 Rating, ... good for him.

    Not going to lose one day's sleep for trading a 3rd round pick for a proven veteran QB to bridge us to a draft pick.

    Your idea of a "bum" is peculiar. Aren't you the guy that held out hope for Johnny long past his usefelness as a Cleveland Brown?

    Zombo

    Aren't you the guy who drove the Kizer bandwagon? How many games did he win and how many games did Johnny win? One more time if Taylor was worth anything Buffalo, who desperately needs a quarterback, would not have flushed him at their first opportunity.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Aren't you the guy who drove the Kizer bandwagon? How many games did he win and how many games did Johnny win? One more time if Taylor was worth anything Buffalo, who desperately needs a quarterback, would not have flushed him at their first opportunity.

    WSS

    Ya, I thought Kizer was a good draft prospect, when he didn't perform I moved on.

    Taylor just started for three years and performed well. Made a Pro Bowl. Made the playoffs. Made plays. Didn't turn the ball over.

    He's solid. Which is way better than we had last year. Or the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that ...

    Ya, Buffalo was ready to move on from him. We are drafting a QB #1 overall, so we borrowed him for a 3rd round draft pick as a major upgrade to our QB room.

    It all seems smart to me. But good luck to A.J. If Taylor was a bum I'm sure he'll have no problem improving that 9-7 record by at least a couple games and holding on to that job regardless of who they draft ... we'll see.

    Zombo

  • As you probably know, or should know if you are not just bickering, I'm not talking about a quarterback at 65 I'm talking about plenty of other good quality useful players that come at the bottom of the 2nd or the top of the third round.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    As you probably know, or should know if you are not just bickering, I'm not talking about a quarterback at 65 I'm talking about plenty of other good quality useful players that come at the bottom of the 2nd or the top of the third round.

    WSS

    Well.....the hope/expectation is that a QB that has a career 23-20 record as a starter will constitute a good, useful player.  No guarantees of course...but better chances than that 3rd round draft pick.

  • Zombo said:

    Taylor is not a bum as his performance the past three years prove.

    McCarron is exactly what Taylor was three years ago before he he got his shot in Buffalo ... unproven.

    If McCarron does better with his opportunity ... winning record, playoff appearance, 92.5 Rating, ... good for him.

    Not going to lose one day's sleep for trading a 3rd round pick for a proven veteran QB to bridge us to a draft pick.

    Your idea of a "bum" is peculiar. Aren't you the guy that held out hope for Johnny long past his usefelness as a Cleveland Brown?

    Zombo

    Aren't you the guy who drove the Kizer bandwagon? How many games did he win and how many games did Johnny win? One more time if Taylor was worth anything Buffalo, who desperately needs a quarterback, would not have flushed him at their first opportunity.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Aren't you the guy who drove the Kizer bandwagon? How many games did he win and how many games did Johnny win? One more time if Taylor was worth anything Buffalo, who desperately needs a quarterback, would not have flushed him at their first opportunity.

    WSS

    Worth is in the eye of the beholder.   They flushed him because the role that he expected to play for them was:  Long term starting QB.   That is NOT the role we expect of him..or the role that he expects to play here really........his role here is:   temporary starter, possible long term backup (depending on contract)....tutor/mentor. 

    I think he would have balked at doing that same role in Buff.    So...the parting may have been mutual...since it is clear that Buffalo wants a younger long term guy. 

  • Here are the Browns third round picks since 1999.    Tell which ones you all believe have had or expect to have been or will be "more useful"  to the Browns than you expect  Tyrod Taylor to be:

    Drafted Players

     
     
    Rk Year Rnd Pick   Pos DrAge From To AP1 PB St CarAV G GS QBrec Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ  
    1 2017 3 65 Larry Ogunjobi DT 23 2017 2017 0 0 0 2 14 1                           1.0 Charlotte College Stats
    2 2016 3 65 Carl Nassib DE 23 2016 2017 0 0 1 7 30 15                           5.5 Penn St. College Stats
    3 2016 3 76 Shon Coleman T 24 2016 2017 0 0 1 6 23 16                             Auburn College Stats
    4 2016 3 93 Cody Kessler QB 23 2016 2017 0 0 1 3 12 8 0-8-0 139 218 1506 6 3 12 17 0           USC College Stats
    5 2015 3 77 Duke Johnson RB 21 2015 2017 0 0 0 15 48 8   0 1 0 0 0 259 1085 5 188 1741 5     Miami (FL) College Stats
    6 2015 3 96 Xavier Cooper DT 23 2015 2017 0 0 0 4 40 2                           3.0 Washington St. College Stats
    7 2014 3 71 Christian Kirksey LB 22 2014 2017 0 0 3 21 64 45                           11.5 Iowa College Stats
    8 2014 3 94 Terrance West RB 23 2014 2017 0 0 1 12 43 23             465 1816 11 51 344 2     Towson  
    9 2013 3 68 Leon McFadden DB 22 2013 2016 0 0 0 2 34 2                             San Diego St. College Stats
    10 2012 3 87 John Hughes DT 24 2012 2017 0 0 0 9 66 10                           5.5 Cincinnati College Stats
    11 2010 3 85 Colt McCoy QB 23 2010 2017 0 0 2 12 35 25 7-18-0 508 842 5586 26 23 118 420 2 2 8 0     Texas College Stats
    12 2010 3 92 Shawn Lauvao G 22 2010 2017 0 0 6 33 94 85                             Arizona St.  
    13 2006 3 78 Travis Wilson WR 22 2006 2006 0 0 0 0 4 1                   2 32 0     Oklahoma College Stats
    14 2005 3 67 Charlie Frye QB 24 2005 2009 0 0 1 8 26 23 7-16-0 419 677 4154 17 29 72 347 4           Akron College Stats
    15 2003 3 84 Chris Crocker DB 23 2003 2013 0 0 7 42 151 110             1 21 0       15 14.5 Marshall College Stats
    16 2002 3 76 Melvin Fowler C 23 2002 2008 0 0 3 25 88 60                             Maryland  
    17 2001 3 65 James Jackson RB 25 2001 2005 0 0 1 9 52 16             325 1082 5 32 232 0     Miami (FL) College Stats
    18 2000 3 63 Travis Prentice RB 23 2000 2001 0 0 1 4 30 11             187 525 9 38 201 1     Miami (OH) College Stats
    19 2000 3 79 JaJuan Dawson WR 22 2000 2002 0 0 0 5 30 4                   52 664 2     Tulane College Stats
    20 1999 3 62 Daylon McCutcheon DB 22 1999 2005 0 0 7 33 103 96                         12 7.0 USC College Stats
    21 1999 3 76 Marquis Smith DB 24 1999 2001 0 0 1 6 46 20                           1.0 California  
  • @westside-steve said:

    Aren't you the guy who drove the Kizer bandwagon? How many games did he win and how many games did Johnny win? One more time if Taylor was worth anything Buffalo, who desperately needs a quarterback, would not have flushed him at their first opportunity.

    WSS

    Worth is in the eye of the beholder.   They flushed him because the role that he expected to play for them was:  Long term starting QB.   That is NOT the role we expect of him..or the role that he expects to play here really........his role here is:   temporary starter, possible long term backup (depending on contract)....tutor/mentor. 

    I think he would have balked at doing that same role in Buff.    So...the parting may have been mutual...since it is clear that Buffalo wants a younger long term guy. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Worth is in the eye of the beholder.   They flushed him because the role that he expected to play for them was:  Long term starting QB.   That is NOT the role we expect of him..or the role that he expects to play here really........his role here is:   temporary starter, possible long term backup (depending on contract)....tutor/mentor. 

    I think he would have balked at doing that same role in Buff.    So...the parting may have been mutual...since it is clear that Buffalo wants a younger long term guy. 

    What you think has no bearing. As I recall you and some others thought that McCarron would not accept a bridge deal. What I think doesn't really matter either but I think AJ might well have been a longer-term solution than some.

    Not to mention the fact that most pundits and many here thought that Kizer showed great strides as the season came to an end.

    WSS

  • I think that my answer to the above question is:    NONE of our 3rd round picks from  1999 to at least 2010 have had much of a useful career for the Browns.....Fair to say?

    In 2010...you have Colt McCoy.   A starter here for a couple of years, no? Not particularly successful....as 7-18 attests to.    HOpefully TT could come away with a better than .280 win pct.  (If the Browns could win  5 of 16 games he starts that would happen)

    There IS hope that Kirksey,  Duke, Nassib, Ogunjobi, Coleman could have much more useful careers than their  3rd round predecessors.  Some may already have. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Worth is in the eye of the beholder.   They flushed him because the role that he expected to play for them was:  Long term starting QB.   That is NOT the role we expect of him..or the role that he expects to play here really........his role here is:   temporary starter, possible long term backup (depending on contract)....tutor/mentor. 

    I think he would have balked at doing that same role in Buff.    So...the parting may have been mutual...since it is clear that Buffalo wants a younger long term guy. 

    What you think has no bearing. As I recall you and some others thought that McCarron would not accept a bridge deal. What I think doesn't really matter either but I think AJ might well have been a longer-term solution than some.

    Not to mention the fact that most pundits and many here thought that Kizer showed great strides as the season came to an end.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    What you think has no bearing. As I recall you and some others thought that McCarron would not accept a bridge deal. What I think doesn't really matter either but I think AJ might well have been a longer-term solution than some.

    Not to mention the fact that most pundits and many here thought that Kizer showed great strides as the season came to an end.

    WSS

    Right...What you think doesn't matter either.   And I don't think that McCarron believes he has accepted a "bridge deal" with the Bills. What I think I do know is that AJ would NOT have been told really that he had any chance of being the long term solution here.  Thus, I think there was a mutual decision by he and by the Browns to not engage in serious contract talks.

    As to your last sentence.....I am not one of those pundits.  I did not think Kizer showed any progress...in fact, I thought he regressed.   BUT....I thought perhaps it was a matter of terrible coaching that may have been his problem....thus, I thought maybe he could be give some benefit of the doubt.  Apparently our FO didn't see it that way at all. 

    Maybe Hue had some...or a lot of say into the decision to give up on Kizer.  Maybe he saw what I saw...no progress.   But...of course, Hue likely put the blame for that on the player.....not on himself....where perhaps a lot of us think that is where it should be shouldered.  But Hue has not proven to be a kind of a "take responsibility" kind of guy.  

    He still has ducked his jump in Effing Lake Erie.....feckless effer.