Skip to content

From nobody to the top of the first round of the draft - Josh Allen

The Browns Board
738 40 24.9k 1
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    "Since then, he stopped playing against defenses and threw some 80 yard passes indoors."

    Let's qualify that a bit. He threw some inaccurate 80 yard floating blimps that my grandmother could have picked off using a walker. They were high arcing punts, not passes and that alone should have soured real scouts. Not impressive at all in a windless environment. Truly disastrous.

  • "Since then, he stopped playing against defenses and threw some 80 yard passes indoors."

    Let's qualify that a bit. He threw some inaccurate 80 yard floating blimps that my grandmother could have picked off using a walker. They were high arcing punts, not passes and that alone should have soured real scouts. Not impressive at all in a windless environment. Truly disastrous.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    "Since then, he stopped playing against defenses and threw some 80 yard passes indoors."

    Let's qualify that a bit. He threw some inaccurate 80 yard floating blimps that my grandmother could have picked off using a walker. They were high arcing punts, not passes and that alone should have soured real scouts. Not impressive at all in a windless environment. Truly disastrous.

    Yeah Aggies, he throws those North Korean missiles like these 70s lyrics suggest "what goes up must come down."  He mixed in a couple lasers that hit guys in stride at the Combine.  But the NFL, and Cleveland in particular, doesn't always allow QBs the 5-7 step drop comforts of stepping into the throw toward one of the deep thirds.  When the NFL caught on to DA's bazooka, they challenged his short game and the Cinderella story had an early midnight.  We've had the QBs that can throw a football over Lake Erie into Canada; and none of them could throw a football into Lake Erie from the wet rocks touching it.

    One of RG3andout's best assets was his deep ball accuracy.  BUT, we had 3 different veteran QBs who couldn't finish starts (McCown, Whitehurst and RG3) as well as Kessler not finishing a couple of his starts reminding us we needed shorter routes with quicker throws. 

    This year, we're trying to replace a HOF caliber LT with the leading candidate being our RT that has only started 1 year. This means it's probable that we have a new starter at BOTH Tackle positions. We'll see how soon we're ready to get QBs comfortable with the 5-7 step drop/timing patterns to a deep 3rd. Whoever we draft, will have to be more accurate than Taylor to beat him out.  Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold seem like better horses to bet on here.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    nah. wooden barns are dent-free. Now, aluminum siding barns, sure, they dent. But not wooden barns.

    Maybe if you back your combine into it, you might leave a scratch....

    Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

    it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

    whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns....

    Aren't you the person who gets on his soapbox and whines about people sticking to talking about football, and to leave politics out of it?

    But obviously your childish hatred of Rosen has nothing to do with politics, as can be seen above. 

    jbluhm86J jbluhm86 wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Aren't you the person who gets on his soapbox and whines about people sticking to talking about football, and to leave politics out of it?

    But obviously your childish hatred of Rosen has nothing to do with politics, as can be seen above. 

    do-as-i-say.png

  • "Since then, he stopped playing against defenses and threw some 80 yard passes indoors."

    Let's qualify that a bit. He threw some inaccurate 80 yard floating blimps that my grandmother could have picked off using a walker. They were high arcing punts, not passes and that alone should have soured real scouts. Not impressive at all in a windless environment. Truly disastrous.

    S SD_Tom wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    "Since then, he stopped playing against defenses and threw some 80 yard passes indoors."

    Let's qualify that a bit. He threw some inaccurate 80 yard floating blimps that my grandmother could have picked off using a walker. They were high arcing punts, not passes and that alone should have soured real scouts. Not impressive at all in a windless environment. Truly disastrous.

    For a huge arm qb,  his deep throws aren't very good.  I have no idea what the fuss is about. 

    The fact that anyone is pumping him as a #1 pick is ludicrous.  Could he develop and become good? Maybe so,  but #1 picks should be as close to a lock as possible.  No projects at #1. 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc

    I was simply responding to Tour's previous joke about military grade barns, asswhole.

    Here is what I said:

    "Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

    it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

    whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns...."

    I didn't bring politics into it, Tour did in a slight bit if humor, I responded in kind.

    Yes, jblew, you screwed yourself up again.

    do-as-i-say.png

  • @calfoxwc said:

    furthermore...Boller was nervous, had a lack of courage in the pocket in the pros, probably did in college, too.

    You don't get nervous in the pocket when you love the game. Allen is the opposite. He loves the game, is cool in the pocket, despite not having a great team around him. He raised the level of play for Wyoming, to two bowl games. Truth is, Elway had cool outstanding leadership at qb, so does Allen.

    Boller - nope. would get very nervous in the pocket. I'd called that not loving the challenge, not loving the game.

    You won't find this said about boller:

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/josh-allen?id=2560029

    Strengths

    Prototype frame for pocket passer. Sturdy base allows him to shake off sacks and extend plays. Rare arm strength and overall arm talent. Has variety of release points if needed. Can uncork suddenly when it breaks open. Able to thread the needle with a rocket launcher. Makes throws that no other quarterback in college can make. Excellent thrower of deep outs. Able to outpace safeties to deep sideline throws. Aggressive pump-fakes open double moves. Turns into competent traffic director when scrambling. Can roll right and fling it down the field with impressive velocity and placement. Asked to read the entire field. No throw is too challenging. Has arm strength and mobility to create explosive plays when play goes off-schedule. Ability to challenge safeties over the top could help running games. Attacks intermediate windows with pretty good precision when allowed to sit down in the pocket. Has experience under center and operating in play-action passing attack. Willing to pull it and move the chains with his legs. Has experience in poor weather.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8286f0f3/article/how-to-draft-a-qb-part-4-the-kyle-boller-experience

    Within a couple of years, we learned that Boller's inaccuracy was not solely a result of the poor receivers at Cal, but also Kyle's occasional nervousness in the pocket, which forced his fundamentals to falter at critical times, and has left him a sub-60 percent completion guy thus far in his career.

    So it didn't work out for Boller, or for me.

    Cal,

    I copied this from the 1st link you posted above. I believe you forgot to include this part....

    NFL COMPARISON

     Jake Locker

    BOTTOM LINE

     Likely be the biggest boom-or-bust quarterback prospect in the draft. Allen's size and arm talent are prototypical for early first-round picks, but it's rare to find a quarterback with such a low college completion rate become a successful pro. Allen's receivers struggled to separate, but there were plenty of times where his lack of anticipation and post-snap plan did him in. Allen can make some truly special throws, but his ability to improve the mental part of his game will determine whether he's a good NFL starter or just another big, strong-armed guy.

    Sorry, but I'm not buying into Allen. The kid scares me.

    Mike

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    Cal,

    I copied this from the 1st link you posted above. I believe you forgot to include this part....

    lmao... at least the edit is an indication that he actually read what he linked.

    That's progress... of sorts...

  • I was simply responding to Tour's previous joke about military grade barns, asswhole.

    Here is what I said:

    "Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

    it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

    whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns...."

    I didn't bring politics into it, Tour did in a slight bit if humor, I responded in kind.

    Yes, jblew, you screwed yourself up again.

    do-as-i-say.png

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

     Congress 

    I didn't bring politics into it

    /thread.

    Also, I feel the thread title could have been "Josh started from the bottom now he here".   

  • I was simply responding to Tour's previous joke about military grade barns, asswhole.

    Here is what I said:

    "Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

    it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

    whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns...."

    I didn't bring politics into it, Tour did in a slight bit if humor, I responded in kind.

    Yes, jblew, you screwed yourself up again.

    do-as-i-say.png

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    @calfoxwc said:

    I was simply responding to Tour's previous joke about military grade barns, asswhole.

    Here is what I said:

    "Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

    it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

    whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns...."

    I didn't bring politics into it, Tour did in a slight bit if humor, I responded in kind.

    Yes, jblew, you screwed yourself up again.

    Amazing... barely 24 hours have passed and reality has already escaped cal's grasp.

    Try again "asswhole"... here are the posts from the preceding page in the order in which they were posted as evidenced by the timestamps...

    @tour2ma said:

    I like mine better, jb...

    @calfoxwc said:

    I"m sure they had dent-free barns.

    FIFY...

    @calfoxwc said:

    nah. wooden barns are dent-free. Now, aluminum siding barns, sure, they dent. But not wooden barns.

    Maybe if you back your combine into it, you might leave a scratch....

    Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

    it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

    whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns....

    @tour2ma said:

    Not all barns... just military-grade barns in civilian hands.

    cal... time to demonstrate your claimed "grace" by apologizing to jblum...

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc

    eh? jblew never deserves an apology,he's always been an asswhole.... but that was my mistake. I"m busy.

    and I never promised you Allen haters a rose garden.🙄

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    So much for "grace"...

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    quote:

    "I never promised you a rose garden"

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    I did not realize that in their March 1st, Top 100 Prospects PFF had given Allen a 2nd Round grade (#34 ranked player) and had 5 other QBs in Round 1 including:

    1. Mayfield at #1
    2. Darnold at #2
    3. Rosen at #6
    4. Rudolph at #15... way to go, Gip!
    5. Jackson at #23..

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-board-top-100-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    paraphrase:

    "Too busy.... to remember(?) or apparently care about the truth..."

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    nope - just went back nad made a mistake of looking back, went too fast.

    no rose garden for you.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    I'm just glad that we were able to confirm that cal's deep hatred of Rosen obviously has nothing to do with politics. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I was simply responding to Tour's previous joke about military grade barns, asswhole.

    Here is what I said:

    "Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

    it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

    whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns...."

    I didn't bring politics into it, Tour did in a slight bit if humor, I responded in kind.

    Yes, jblew, you screwed yourself up again.

    Amazing... barely 24 hours have passed and reality has already escaped cal's grasp.

    Try again "asswhole"... here are the posts from the preceding page in the order in which they were posted as evidenced by the timestamps...

    @tour2ma said:

    I like mine better, jb...

    @calfoxwc said:

    I"m sure they had dent-free barns.

    FIFY...

    @calfoxwc said:

    nah. wooden barns are dent-free. Now, aluminum siding barns, sure, they dent. But not wooden barns.

    Maybe if you back your combine into it, you might leave a scratch....

    Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

    it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

    whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns....

    @tour2ma said:

    Not all barns... just military-grade barns in civilian hands.

    cal... time to demonstrate your claimed "grace" by apologizing to jblum...

    jbluhm86J jbluhm86 wrote on last edited by jbluhm86

    @tour2ma said:

    Amazing... barely 24 hours have passed and reality has already escaped cal's grasp.

    Try again "asswhole"... here are the posts from the preceding page in the order in which they were posted as evidenced by the timestamps...

    cal... time to demonstrate your claimed "grace" by apologizing to jblum...

    @calfoxwc said:

    eh? jblew never deserves an apology,he's always been an asswhole.... but that was my mistake. I"m busy.

    and I never promised you Allen haters a rose garden.🙄

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Yeah... cause to apologize is weak.

    Use of a liberal icon's (and Obama appointee) videos noted...