All Saquon, all the Time...
-
I just saw an interesting article that gave some insight. Here's a quote-
"Some of this is impacted by the run concepts and scheme employed at Penn State, as well as the fact that their offensive line wasn’t the best in the world. The team placed Barkley on a wide track a lot, giving defenders more time to hit him close to the line of scrimmage. Overall, he was hit at or behind the line on 44.5 percent of his carries, which is higher than all but three other backs in this draft class (one being Nick Chubb)..."
44.5% ?!!? That's crazy.
I just saw an interesting article that gave some insight. Here's a quote-
"Some of this is impacted by the run concepts and scheme employed at Penn State, as well as the fact that their offensive line wasn’t the best in the world. The team placed Barkley on a wide track a lot, giving defenders more time to hit him close to the line of scrimmage. Overall, he was hit at or behind the line on 44.5 percent of his carries, which is higher than all but three other backs in this draft class (one being Nick Chubb)..."
44.5% ?!!? That's crazy.
So are you now making excuses after people have pointed out the flaws in sasa's game?
Like this take for example
"Here's 5 reasons not to draft Saquon Barkley. He averaged under three yards per game in three games. Two of them against Indiana and Rutgers. Under three yards a carry. He only had five games over 100 yards. He had the most yards lost by a running back last year in college football. Even with him, and a good quarterback, and a really great play caller, they were 58th in the country in rushing, and six in the Big 10.And here's an interesting one, if you examine say Saquon Barkley. His best three games, oh the opener rested. Bowl game rested. Cupcake, Georgia State before a big game. This is not a guy capable of 26 carries one week in the NFL, 29 the next. Picking up blitzes. Seven catches one week, four the next. He is not a bulldozer. We have so nit picked the quarterbacks, and Sam Darnold works out today. We have elevated other players who have just as many holes. Saquon Barkley is much more Reggie Bush than he is Ezekiel Elliott"
-Cowherd
-
Conclusion: Take Nick Chubb?

If it's not Barkley, I hope we end up with Penny.
-
Conclusion: Take Nick Chubb?

If it's not Barkley, I hope we end up with Penny.
-
I understand that choice, but for me it's Chubb's teammate with the 7.9 ypc average, Sony Michel (who names their kid after a TV anyway?)

That's my choice also. I'm on record saying there will be at least one running back in this draft picked in round 2 or later who has a better year/career than barkley. Which none of my friends will take (even though they say they will be livid if we pass on him) since they know it to be true so I called my shot and Sony it is. He's got video game type moves he has to being named after PlayStation.
-
I understand that choice, but for me it's Chubb's teammate with the 7.9 ypc average, Sony Michel (who names their kid after a TV anyway?)

Nah, it's the Walkman!
what is this are you starting to see the light that we are not taking barkley?
I never said that. I'm confident Barkley has the potential to be the first pick of the draft. I wouldn't be opposed with taking Barkley and Penny both. Can't have too many playmakers!
-
I understand that choice, but for me it's Chubb's teammate with the 7.9 ypc average, Sony Michel (who names their kid after a TV anyway?)

Love me some Rashaad Penny. He is the real deal, and the best part is he's low mileage. He was a backup and excellent special teams guy until this season. Even with his massive yardage this year, he didn't have that many carries because he's so efficient. i don't think he's got any injury issues either
I really think Browns would be very happy with him back there. He can do it all, and any HL reel will show you the proof. He's way more like Zeke than Barkley is, and I think that's what works in the NFL. One cut and gone.
Panthers seem very interested in him. It was SDSU's pro day today, and there were a lot of teams there. I highly doubt he'll slip to 3rd round.
-
I understand that choice, but for me it's Chubb's teammate with the 7.9 ypc average, Sony Michel (who names their kid after a TV anyway?)

Nah, it's the Walkman!
what is this are you starting to see the light that we are not taking barkley?
I never said that. I'm confident Barkley has the potential to be the first pick of the draft. I wouldn't be opposed with taking Barkley and Penny both. Can't have too many playmakers!
Nah, it's the Walkman!
I never said that. I'm confident Barkley has the potential to be the first pick of the draft. I wouldn't be opposed with taking Barkley and Penny both. Can't have too many playmakers!
If it makes you happy- they had a poll on NFLN's Path to the draft- Who should the Browns pick at #1? Darnold, Rosen, or Barkley. The majority said Saquon. There's also a Facebook page Browns Die-hard Fan Club- and I can't believe the number of "supposed" hardcore fans who still think Saquon should go #1.
That idea got refuted by none other than Daniel Jeremiah- and I happen to agree with him. I'll even grant you the possibility that Barkley is in fact the top of the heap in talent level this year. BPA applies only if you don't have a franchise QB according to Dan. We don't have our franchise qb. So it's QB or bust this year- swing for the fences, damn the torpedoes, and if our likely pick Darnold busts- so be it. It's been posted elsewhere, Darnold's 7.0 rating on NFL.com tops all of the recent QBs- Winston, Mariotta, Trubisky, Watson, Goff- and the QB guys on this forum have been bellyaching for years we should have taken- Carson Wentz. That's some pretty elite company to be in- and it sure fits my bill as "potential franchise QB". The other factor is we take Saquon and say Chubb- and improve to 7-9, what happens next year? We're in the same spot Buffalo finds themselves in this year. They already gave up a starting LT and their #21 in the first to move up to #12. They're going to have to give up even more- like both firsts, probably a couple seconds, and another second next year at least to get the Giants to budge out of #2. Even that might not be enough if the G-Men are thinking about taking the QB we don't. When a "generational" QB like Andrew Luck is sitting there at #1, you can offer the team holding the #1 your entire draft to move up, and you'll get shot down. So this is it- let's hope we aren't drafting #1 overall again for a long, long time. Get the qb when you have the chance- and don't have to sell the ranch to do so. It's what smart teams do.
BTW, DJ also pointed out the Giant's GM Gettelman NEVER goes BPA (unless it's also top need). LOL, you think the Jets gave up a boatload of picks just to take a swing at Saquon? Hell no.
-
Nah, it's the Walkman!
I never said that. I'm confident Barkley has the potential to be the first pick of the draft. I wouldn't be opposed with taking Barkley and Penny both. Can't have too many playmakers!
If it makes you happy- they had a poll on NFLN's Path to the draft- Who should the Browns pick at #1? Darnold, Rosen, or Barkley. The majority said Saquon. There's also a Facebook page Browns Die-hard Fan Club- and I can't believe the number of "supposed" hardcore fans who still think Saquon should go #1.
That idea got refuted by none other than Daniel Jeremiah- and I happen to agree with him. I'll even grant you the possibility that Barkley is in fact the top of the heap in talent level this year. BPA applies only if you don't have a franchise QB according to Dan. We don't have our franchise qb. So it's QB or bust this year- swing for the fences, damn the torpedoes, and if our likely pick Darnold busts- so be it. It's been posted elsewhere, Darnold's 7.0 rating on NFL.com tops all of the recent QBs- Winston, Mariotta, Trubisky, Watson, Goff- and the QB guys on this forum have been bellyaching for years we should have taken- Carson Wentz. That's some pretty elite company to be in- and it sure fits my bill as "potential franchise QB". The other factor is we take Saquon and say Chubb- and improve to 7-9, what happens next year? We're in the same spot Buffalo finds themselves in this year. They already gave up a starting LT and their #21 in the first to move up to #12. They're going to have to give up even more- like both firsts, probably a couple seconds, and another second next year at least to get the Giants to budge out of #2. Even that might not be enough if the G-Men are thinking about taking the QB we don't. When a "generational" QB like Andrew Luck is sitting there at #1, you can offer the team holding the #1 your entire draft to move up, and you'll get shot down. So this is it- let's hope we aren't drafting #1 overall again for a long, long time. Get the qb when you have the chance- and don't have to sell the ranch to do so. It's what smart teams do.
BTW, DJ also pointed out the Giant's GM Gettelman NEVER goes BPA (unless it's also top need). LOL, you think the Jets gave up a boatload of picks just to take a swing at Saquon? Hell no.
If it makes you happy- they had a poll on NFLN's Path to the draft- Who should the Browns pick at #1? Darnold, Rosen, or Barkley. The majority said Saquon. There's also a Facebook page Browns Die-hard Fan Club- and I can't believe the number of "supposed" hardcore fans who still think Saquon should go #1.
That idea got refuted by none other than Daniel Jeremiah- and I happen to agree with him. I'll even grant you the possibility that Barkley is in fact the top of the heap in talent level this year. BPA applies only if you don't have a franchise QB according to Dan. We don't have our franchise qb. So it's QB or bust this year- swing for the fences, damn the torpedoes, and if our likely pick Darnold busts- so be it. It's been posted elsewhere, Darnold's 7.0 rating on NFL.com tops all of the recent QBs- Winston, Mariotta, Trubisky, Watson, Goff- and the QB guys on this forum have been bellyaching for years we should have taken- Carson Wentz. That's some pretty elite company to be in- and it sure fits my bill as "potential franchise QB". The other factor is we take Saquon and say Chubb- and improve to 7-9, what happens next year? We're in the same spot Buffalo finds themselves in this year. They already gave up a starting LT and their #21 in the first to move up to #12. They're going to have to give up even more- like both firsts, probably a couple seconds, and another second next year at least to get the Giants to budge out of #2. Even that might not be enough if the G-Men are thinking about taking the QB we don't. When a "generational" QB like Andrew Luck is sitting there at #1, you can offer the team holding the #1 your entire draft to move up, and you'll get shot down. So this is it- let's hope we aren't drafting #1 overall again for a long, long time. Get the qb when you have the chance- and don't have to sell the ranch to do so. It's what smart teams do.
BTW, DJ also pointed out the Giant's GM Gettelman NEVER goes BPA (unless it's also top need). LOL, you think the Jets gave up a boatload of picks just to take a swing at Saquon? Hell no.
Rather get Rosen, but the nice thing is that Darnold can sit and develop until he's actually ready.
Most analysts and coaches feel that both will be excellent in the NFL
-
Nah, it's the Walkman!
I never said that. I'm confident Barkley has the potential to be the first pick of the draft. I wouldn't be opposed with taking Barkley and Penny both. Can't have too many playmakers!
If it makes you happy- they had a poll on NFLN's Path to the draft- Who should the Browns pick at #1? Darnold, Rosen, or Barkley. The majority said Saquon. There's also a Facebook page Browns Die-hard Fan Club- and I can't believe the number of "supposed" hardcore fans who still think Saquon should go #1.
That idea got refuted by none other than Daniel Jeremiah- and I happen to agree with him. I'll even grant you the possibility that Barkley is in fact the top of the heap in talent level this year. BPA applies only if you don't have a franchise QB according to Dan. We don't have our franchise qb. So it's QB or bust this year- swing for the fences, damn the torpedoes, and if our likely pick Darnold busts- so be it. It's been posted elsewhere, Darnold's 7.0 rating on NFL.com tops all of the recent QBs- Winston, Mariotta, Trubisky, Watson, Goff- and the QB guys on this forum have been bellyaching for years we should have taken- Carson Wentz. That's some pretty elite company to be in- and it sure fits my bill as "potential franchise QB". The other factor is we take Saquon and say Chubb- and improve to 7-9, what happens next year? We're in the same spot Buffalo finds themselves in this year. They already gave up a starting LT and their #21 in the first to move up to #12. They're going to have to give up even more- like both firsts, probably a couple seconds, and another second next year at least to get the Giants to budge out of #2. Even that might not be enough if the G-Men are thinking about taking the QB we don't. When a "generational" QB like Andrew Luck is sitting there at #1, you can offer the team holding the #1 your entire draft to move up, and you'll get shot down. So this is it- let's hope we aren't drafting #1 overall again for a long, long time. Get the qb when you have the chance- and don't have to sell the ranch to do so. It's what smart teams do.
BTW, DJ also pointed out the Giant's GM Gettelman NEVER goes BPA (unless it's also top need). LOL, you think the Jets gave up a boatload of picks just to take a swing at Saquon? Hell no.
That idea got refuted by none other than Daniel Jeremiah- and I happen to agree with him. I'll even grant you the possibility that Barkley is in fact the top of the heap in talent level this year. BPA applies only if you don't have a franchise QB according to Dan. We don't have our franchise qb. So it's QB or bust this year- swing for the fences, damn the torpedoes, and if our likely pick Darnold busts- so be it. It's been posted elsewhere, Darnold's 7.0 rating on NFL.com tops all of the recent QBs- Winston, Mariotta, Trubisky, Watson, Goff- and the QB guys on this forum have been bellyaching for years we should have taken- Carson Wentz. That's some pretty elite company to be in- and it sure fits my bill as "potential franchise QB". The other factor is we take Saquon and say Chubb- and improve to 7-9, what happens next year? We're in the same spot Buffalo finds themselves in this year. They already gave up a starting LT and their #21 in the first to move up to #12. They're going to have to give up even more- like both firsts, probably a couple seconds, and another second next year at least to get the Giants to budge out of #2. Even that might not be enough if the G-Men are thinking about taking the QB we don't. When a "generational" QB like Andrew Luck is sitting there at #1, you can offer the team holding the #1 your entire draft to move up, and you'll get shot down. So this is it- let's hope we aren't drafting #1 overall again for a long, long time. Get the qb when you have the chance- and don't have to sell the ranch to do so. It's what smart teams do.
BTW, DJ also pointed out the Giant's GM Gettelman NEVER goes BPA (unless it's also top need). LOL, you think the Jets gave up a boatload of picks just to take a swing at Saquon? Hell no.
I think DJ is a really smart dude who's pretty good at scouting college players. He worked as a scout for 3 different teams (including the Browns) before settling down out here in socal to have a family. He's on the radio a lot out here. And he's been saying for awhile what you're saying, Barkley could be the best player in the draft but he won't go #1 because we need a QB. Last I saw him on TV he had the Browns taking Barkley at 4 which I would be surprised with since we just signed Hyde but as long as we end up with a QB (and it's not Allen), I'll be happy.
-
I understand that choice, but for me it's Chubb's teammate with the 7.9 ypc average, Sony Michel (who names their kid after a TV anyway?)

Nah, it's the Walkman!
what is this are you starting to see the light that we are not taking barkley?
I never said that. I'm confident Barkley has the potential to be the first pick of the draft. I wouldn't be opposed with taking Barkley and Penny both. Can't have too many playmakers!
-
Just Say No to Needlenose PoG and his obsession:

-
Some of the guys and I were talking today about the draft and we came up with-
"Saq and Bake and Hyde helped"

Saquon and Mayfield...
or Darnold/Rosen/Allen... hell even Jackson/Rudolph would be okay...
- I really do get the feeling that our FO is going to find that they really like a bunch of these guys- and will be comfortable enough with securing Barkley first, then either orchestrating a trade up to #2 if they are able to or just letting the QB come to them at #4.
I look at it as- With the first pick you definitely can't miss with the first pick, you have to hit with it. Even though we needed a QB last year, we took Garrett first, everyone- including the owner and the FO was on board with that pick, as I gather that they'll feel the same way about Barkley. He's as clean a prospect you'll find, nobody is going to outwork him, and he sells hope and inspiration. He's a can't miss player.
You can say that he didn't have the yards per carry as some of the other players had, but you must acknowledge the fact that the scheme and the OL were partly responsible. Just as a QB can be perfect, hit a WR in the numbers and they simply drop it. In the NFL Barkley will be running in Hue's/Haley's scheme. He's Duke Johnson if Duke went Hulk... or super sayian.
Duke had a breakout year last year, amassing 1,041 yards and seven touchdowns, with a career high 74 catches! People think that Duke should have gotten even more work and should get the opportunity with Tyrod Taylor running the offense. Honestly though, there were a couple of times that I didn't think was going to get up. I love the tough little guy, but I don't think his body can handle much more than that. With Barkley, I'll say that he might be well close to 1,000 yards before the bye-week- assuming that it's going to be at or slightly past mid-season.
I've been hearing that he's not good between the hashes, to that I would say that there is plenty of times he went up the middle. I could find the stat but I've literally watched him bust through the middle of the field- even straight up hurdling a defender and just continuing to run- there is no physical reasoning behind an inability to run up the middle. He's faster, stronger and more explosive that any other runner in the draft.
He's only going to get bigger - stronger - faster and better at the next level. You have to consider what he is going to become at the next level. He's just about to get his "Dad Strength", and that is legit. He'll be fighting for his child. I can honestly say I don't know what amount of yardage per carry that really equates to but I would guess it's worth another yard.
-
Jesus, I'm pretty sure you are mentally ill.
-
Dutch, we don't need your .02 cents bud. Thanks anyway though. Next time at least try to be productive.
Dutch, we don't need your .02 cents bud. Thanks anyway though. Next time at least try to be productive.
3,716 posts, each dumber and more inane than the last.
Oh wait, you got DieHardBrownsFan to like your post... someone who knows a thing or two about posting useless nonsense on here. Birds of a feather flock together, I suppose!
-
Some of the guys and I were talking today about the draft and we came up with-
"Saq and Bake and Hyde helped"

Saquon and Mayfield...
or Darnold/Rosen/Allen... hell even Jackson/Rudolph would be okay...
- I really do get the feeling that our FO is going to find that they really like a bunch of these guys- and will be comfortable enough with securing Barkley first, then either orchestrating a trade up to #2 if they are able to or just letting the QB come to them at #4.
I look at it as- With the first pick you definitely can't miss with the first pick, you have to hit with it. Even though we needed a QB last year, we took Garrett first, everyone- including the owner and the FO was on board with that pick, as I gather that they'll feel the same way about Barkley. He's as clean a prospect you'll find, nobody is going to outwork him, and he sells hope and inspiration. He's a can't miss player.
You can say that he didn't have the yards per carry as some of the other players had, but you must acknowledge the fact that the scheme and the OL were partly responsible. Just as a QB can be perfect, hit a WR in the numbers and they simply drop it. In the NFL Barkley will be running in Hue's/Haley's scheme. He's Duke Johnson if Duke went Hulk... or super sayian.
Duke had a breakout year last year, amassing 1,041 yards and seven touchdowns, with a career high 74 catches! People think that Duke should have gotten even more work and should get the opportunity with Tyrod Taylor running the offense. Honestly though, there were a couple of times that I didn't think was going to get up. I love the tough little guy, but I don't think his body can handle much more than that. With Barkley, I'll say that he might be well close to 1,000 yards before the bye-week- assuming that it's going to be at or slightly past mid-season.
I've been hearing that he's not good between the hashes, to that I would say that there is plenty of times he went up the middle. I could find the stat but I've literally watched him bust through the middle of the field- even straight up hurdling a defender and just continuing to run- there is no physical reasoning behind an inability to run up the middle. He's faster, stronger and more explosive that any other runner in the draft.
He's only going to get bigger - stronger - faster and better at the next level. You have to consider what he is going to become at the next level. He's just about to get his "Dad Strength", and that is legit. He'll be fighting for his child. I can honestly say I don't know what amount of yardage per carry that really equates to but I would guess it's worth another yard.
-
Saquon Barkley is not Trent Richardson. They are totally different players! That is about as equal a statement as Baker Mayfield is Brandon Weedone.
Are you still mad that I called it? That we were going to pick Richardson? Deja vu old pal?
When I say he's a can't miss player- I'm not saying that he's a perfect player. I'm telling you that he's the right player. Cleveland's biggest need may not be Runningback... But they're biggest NEED is Saquon Barkley. I saw the stands, I was at a few games, it was depressing. Barkley is exciting to watch. He brings explosiveness and with Gordon and the gang, we would be a high powered offense that scores points to win games. I'm not willing to pass on that for a maybe someday at QB. I'll gladly take a QB with our extra 1st to develop for the future... But we can win NOW with Barkley and Gordon and Landry and Tyrod/Hogan/#4QB.
Only 25% of the people are going to be happy with the QB they select #1.
25%- Darnold
25%- Rosen
25%- Allen
25%- Mayfield
Regardless of whether you take a QB #1 or #4 you are still upsetting 75% of the fanbase. You take Barkley(75%) and the QB(25%) and you've satisfied - ahem... 100% of the ... ahem... fanbase... cough...

-
Saquon Barkley is not Trent Richardson. They are totally different players! That is about as equal a statement as Baker Mayfield is Brandon Weedone.
Are you still mad that I called it? That we were going to pick Richardson? Deja vu old pal?
When I say he's a can't miss player- I'm not saying that he's a perfect player. I'm telling you that he's the right player. Cleveland's biggest need may not be Runningback... But they're biggest NEED is Saquon Barkley. I saw the stands, I was at a few games, it was depressing. Barkley is exciting to watch. He brings explosiveness and with Gordon and the gang, we would be a high powered offense that scores points to win games. I'm not willing to pass on that for a maybe someday at QB. I'll gladly take a QB with our extra 1st to develop for the future... But we can win NOW with Barkley and Gordon and Landry and Tyrod/Hogan/#4QB.
Only 25% of the people are going to be happy with the QB they select #1.
25%- Darnold
25%- Rosen
25%- Allen
25%- Mayfield
Regardless of whether you take a QB #1 or #4 you are still upsetting 75% of the fanbase. You take Barkley(75%) and the QB(25%) and you've satisfied - ahem... 100% of the ... ahem... fanbase... cough...

Saquon Barkley is not Trent Richardson. They are totally different players! That is about as equal a statement as Baker Mayfield is Brandon Weedone.
Are you still mad that I called it? That we were going to pick Richardson? Deja vu old pal?
When I say he's a can't miss player- I'm not saying that he's a perfect player. I'm telling you that he's the right player. Cleveland's biggest need may not be Runningback... But they're biggest NEED is Saquon Barkley. I saw the stands, I was at a few games, it was depressing. Barkley is exciting to watch. He brings explosiveness and with Gordon and the gang, we would be a high powered offense that scores points to win games. I'm not willing to pass on that for a maybe someday at QB. I'll gladly take a QB with our extra 1st to develop for the future... But we can win NOW with Barkley and Gordon and Landry and Tyrod/Hogan/#4QB.
Only 25% of the people are going to be happy with the QB they select #1.
25%- Darnold
25%- Rosen
25%- Allen
25%- Mayfield
Regardless of whether you take a QB #1 or #4 you are still upsetting 75% of the fanbase. You take Barkley(75%) and the QB(25%) and you've satisfied - ahem... 100% of the ... ahem... fanbase... cough...

There is so much wrong with your last few posts trying to explain your reasoning. BUT, I will give you credit because most was rational, even if people disagree.
But a few things, and I want an HONEST and SERIOUS answer. Why do you only use stats that you want to? And when Barkley struggled, why is it on someone else's fault, but the same can't be said for others?
And the second serious question is why are you so set on Barkley being #1. It is not because you think someone else would take him, because earlier in off season when presented with the option of YOUR top QB #1 And Barkley #4 or Barkley #1 and YOUR #3 QB, you picked the latter. So seriously, why does it matter so much for you for him to go #1 vs #4.
And then you lost EVERYONE with his dad strength and it's real. He isn't fighting for his kid on a football field, and IF that were a real thing, he certainly isn't the only father in the NFL. And your percentages are just a flat out lie. Just assume the 25% for each QB is right (which it isnt), still not everyone is in favor of Barkley, or Chubb, or Fitzpatrick, etc. No matter what 2 players are taken, not even close to 100%.
You see, when you say actual things for discussion, people will actually start to listen. Dont hurt your cause and his by saying asinine things.
-
Dutch, we don't need your .02 cents bud. Thanks anyway though. Next time at least try to be productive.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

