Skip to content

EJ Gaines signing for the Browns

The Browns Board
32 17 1.2k
  • @syd said:

    PFF ranked him as the 13th best corner in the league either you have a nose for the ball or you don't and seems to have it  maybe this will shut up all the winners about trading McCourtney

    So if he's available he's good... got it.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @tour2ma said:

    So if he's available he's good... got it.

    even with missed games still a huge upgrade over McCourtney

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Deal done....

    John Kosko‏ @PFF_JohnKosko 24m24 minutes ago
    John Kosko@JohnKosko3
    Gaines 13th best CB in NFL last year. Good signing by the Browns x.com/adross77/statu…
    More

    John Kosko Retweeted Andy Ross

    Gaines 13th best CB in NFL last year. Good signing by the Browns

  • sydS syd

    @tour2ma said:

    So if he's available he's good... got it.

    even with missed games still a huge upgrade over McCourtney

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @syd said:

    even with missed games still a huge upgrade over McCourtney

    Huge? Here's their production over the past two seasons...

    McC: 28 games; 3 INT; 26 Passes Defended; 2 Forced Fumbles; 113 tackles; 19 assists

    EJG: 22 games; 1 INT; 16 Passes Defended; 4 Forced Fumbles; 95 tackles; 20 assists

    I get younger option, but what am I missing?

  • @syd said:

    even with missed games still a huge upgrade over McCourtney

    Huge? Here's their production over the past two seasons...

    McC: 28 games; 3 INT; 26 Passes Defended; 2 Forced Fumbles; 113 tackles; 19 assists

    EJG: 22 games; 1 INT; 16 Passes Defended; 4 Forced Fumbles; 95 tackles; 20 assists

    I get younger option, but what am I missing?

    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @tour2ma said:

    Huge? Here's their production over the past two seasons...

    McC: 28 games; 3 INT; 26 Passes Defended; 2 Forced Fumbles; 113 tackles; 19 assists

    EJG: 22 games; 1 INT; 16 Passes Defended; 4 Forced Fumbles; 95 tackles; 20 assists

    I get younger option, but what am I missing?

    Tour, you just don't see that the guy is a real leader. I would say a "real football player". Fiery. A real winner. And other stuff that can't be measured and/or related to football in anyway.

    All joking aside, I hope Gaines plays well and can stay on the field.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Huge? Here's their production over the past two seasons...

    McC: 28 games; 3 INT; 26 Passes Defended; 2 Forced Fumbles; 113 tackles; 19 assists

    EJG: 22 games; 1 INT; 16 Passes Defended; 4 Forced Fumbles; 95 tackles; 20 assists

    I get younger option, but what am I missing?

    Tour, you just don't see that the guy is a real leader. I would say a "real football player". Fiery. A real winner. And other stuff that can't be measured and/or related to football in anyway.

    All joking aside, I hope Gaines plays well and can stay on the field.

    darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Tour, you just don't see that the guy is a real leader. I would say a "real football player". Fiery. A real winner. And other stuff that can't be measured and/or related to football in anyway.

    All joking aside, I hope Gaines plays well and can stay on the field.

    If he stays on the field the gains will be ours

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Bottom Line:    since they dumped McCourty.....Browns needed a guy.    Seems like he fits as well as anyone.

    May be another indication that they may not be going DB with that 4th pick.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Dissenting opinion...

    Ian Wharton‏Verified account @NFLFilmStudy

    McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

    11:52 AM - 23 Mar 2018
  • Dissenting opinion...

    Ian Wharton‏Verified account @NFLFilmStudy

    McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

    11:52 AM - 23 Mar 2018
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @tour2ma said:

    Dissenting opinion...

    Ian Wharton‏Verified account @NFLFilmStudy

    McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

    11:52 AM - 23 Mar 2018

    Well then, maybe, hopefully they DO still have some DBs in mind for early in the draft.   If they don't take one at 4, I think they have to get one or two in rounds 2-3.

  • Dissenting opinion...

    Ian Wharton‏Verified account @NFLFilmStudy

    McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

    11:52 AM - 23 Mar 2018
    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @tour2ma said:

    Dissenting opinion...

    Ian Wharton‏Verified account @NFLFilmStudy

    McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

    11:52 AM - 23 Mar 2018

    so this dude has never coached at any level let alone being a scout for a NFL team and u put this crap out there like i am going to take his word over what Dorsey has planned ? 

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Pff grades are rather good...

    Soft tissue injuries frequently

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

  • so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @jcam222 said:

    so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

    NoNo

  • so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

    PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by PoeticG
    #24

    @jcam222 said:

    so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

    We've added pieces all over the team, we really don't have any holes right now. We could go and play tomorrow if we had to. We've set ourselves up to take what the draft is going to give us, BPA all the way- it's what successful teams do. I see it as it should be, you fill your holes in FA and take the best players and make yourself better through the draft/development process. 

    Going into FA, our biggest needs were QB, CB/S, RB, WR, OL. We've solidly addressed all of these. 

  • Dissenting opinion...

    Ian Wharton‏Verified account @NFLFilmStudy

    McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

    11:52 AM - 23 Mar 2018
    runyon27R runyon27 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @tour2ma said:

    Dissenting opinion...

    Ian Wharton‏Verified account @NFLFilmStudy

    McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

    11:52 AM - 23 Mar 2018

    Considering the Browns had like for corners dressed for games last year I can see how this is a down grade, we dont even know how good....or bad Howard Wilson is yet. I think the Browns are better in the secondary. We have a free safety who can cover for sure, thats an upgrade. We definitely have more depth and quality depth. We will see how it works out but I suspect our nickel and dime packages are a lot better already.

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Are we around half way now when it comes to teams  with the most cap space ?

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Gaines deal is 1 year $5m with $4m guaranteed 

  • @jcam222 said:

    so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

    We've added pieces all over the team, we really don't have any holes right now. We could go and play tomorrow if we had to. We've set ourselves up to take what the draft is going to give us, BPA all the way- it's what successful teams do. I see it as it should be, you fill your holes in FA and take the best players and make yourself better through the draft/development process. 

    Going into FA, our biggest needs were QB, CB/S, RB, WR, OL. We've solidly addressed all of these. 

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @poeticg said:

    We've added pieces all over the team, we really don't have any holes right now. We could go and play tomorrow if we had to. We've set ourselves up to take what the draft is going to give us, BPA all the way- it's what successful teams do. I see it as it should be, you fill your holes in FA and take the best players and make yourself better through the draft/development process. 

    Going into FA, our biggest needs were QB, CB/S, RB, WR, OL. We've solidly addressed all of these. 

    Well since RB isn't a need anymore, no reason to draft your boy ? JK

  • so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @jcam222 said:

    so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

    I still thinking Ward... Yes, we've made moves, but where is the shutdown corner?

    As Runyon pointed out we still have to see what Howard Wilson can bring, but someone has to push Carrie back to slot duty.

    And Safety is a real unknown... times two.

  • @jcam222 said:

    so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

    I still thinking Ward... Yes, we've made moves, but where is the shutdown corner?

    As Runyon pointed out we still have to see what Howard Wilson can bring, but someone has to push Carrie back to slot duty.

    And Safety is a real unknown... times two.

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @tour2ma said:

    I still thinking Ward... Yes, we've made moves, but where is the shutdown corner?

    As Runyon pointed out we still have to see what Howard Wilson can bring, but someone has to push Carrie back to slot duty.

    And Safety is a real unknown... times two.

    I'm with you. This unit doesn't make me excited to watch it next play season. It was awful last year, so almost any change could have made it better. 

    But there have been so many moves that now I'm wondering if we'll aim for secondary in 1st or 2nd round. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced we'll go QB-Chubb and then RB with #33 (or earlier). 

  • @tour2ma said:

    I still thinking Ward... Yes, we've made moves, but where is the shutdown corner?

    As Runyon pointed out we still have to see what Howard Wilson can bring, but someone has to push Carrie back to slot duty.

    And Safety is a real unknown... times two.

    I'm with you. This unit doesn't make me excited to watch it next play season. It was awful last year, so almost any change could have made it better. 

    But there have been so many moves that now I'm wondering if we'll aim for secondary in 1st or 2nd round. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced we'll go QB-Chubb and then RB with #33 (or earlier). 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @nero said:

    I'm with you. This unit doesn't make me excited to watch it next play season. It was awful last year, so almost any change could have made it better. 

    But there have been so many moves that now I'm wondering if we'll aim for secondary in 1st or 2nd round. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced we'll go QB-Chubb and then RB with #33 (or earlier). 

    Good discussion guys!

    Here's another way to look at it.   Antonio Brown is the best WR in the NFL.  If we fail to prepare for that barometer - we should prepare to fail.

    One of the biggest things SF did back in the day to help jumper cable/perpetuate their dynasty was draft 3 starters in their secondary in 81 when they drafted Ronnie Lott rd 1, Eric Wright rd 2, and Carlton Williamson rd 3.

    A lot of times the pass rush gets credit for the success at the back end; but there's been teams where better coverage at the back end has created more sacks.  I wouldn't mind getting us to somewhere in between.