Is this a playoff team?
-
Just got this weird feeling that in 2020 Kizer will replace a then unaffordable, 36.5-yo Aaron Rodgers as the Pack's starting QB.
-
Just got this weird feeling that in 2020 Kizer will replace a then unaffordable, 36.5-yo Aaron Rodgers as the Pack's starting QB.
Just got this weird feeling that in 2020 Kizer will replace a then unaffordable, 36.5-yo Aaron Rodgers as the Pack's starting QB.
I've been good in FL Land with Rodgers... I was hoping Kizer could have stuck around here as QB2 until the team got righted.
GB may have got a steal......while those crazy BROWNS fans like Dutch ran him out of town like they were chasing the Frankenstein monster.

-
Save this and remind me just how stupid I am later BUT......... I am going yes this team will be at least wildcard contender.
-
Save this and remind me just how stupid I am later BUT......... I am going yes this team will be at least wildcard contender.
Save this and remind me just how stupid I am later BUT......... I am going yes this team will be at least wildcard contender.
Well let's see from last year, are they at this level yet? 2018? 2019?
AFC Wild Card Playoffs: Tennessee at Kansas City Titans 22-21 ESPN/ABC NFC Wild Card Playoffs: Atlanta at L.A. Rams Falcons 26-13 NBC WILD CARD WEEKEND: SUNDAY, JAN. 7 GAME TIME (ET)/SCORE TV TICKETS AFC Wild Card Playoffs: Buffalo at Jacksonville
Jaguars 10-3 CBS NFC Wild Card Playoffs: Carolina at New Orleans Saints 31-26 FOX -
The Cleveland Browns are ABSOLUTELEY going to be a PLAYOFF TEAM this season.
Tyrod Taylor and Kevin Hogan are a solid B at QB
Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry are one of the NFL most scary duos as of this writing. A+ for WR
If the draft pans out correctly and we pick the Elite RB we'll have an A+ running game as well.
A hot young explosive offense and a young and talented defense with some veteran pieces at key positions.
Going into our 3rd season with Hue as HC, our 2nd with Gregg Williams and adding a legit OC in Haley is going to pay dividends.
We are certainly going to be in for a fun and exciting ride- Maybe the best since our 10 win season!
-
-
I'll post another predictions thread right before the season starts... it's nice to have a record of our insane late August optimism!
Post one right after the draft.
-
I'll post another predictions thread right before the season starts... it's nice to have a record of our insane late August optimism!
Post one right after the draft.
Post one right after the draft.
Ķind of reminds me that I have my SIPERBOWL XVIII (I think it was) T SHIRT, somewhere, closet, box?
Bought it at the Ol' Municipal Stadium after the BROWNS beat I believe that it was the Jets and we were all jazzed up about Brian Sipe leading our CLEVELAND BROWNS to the promise land......oh yeah!
It's now what SB LIII?
HOPE ALWAYS SPRINGS ETERNAL IN CLEVELAND, OHIO......baby!

......well at least I got to see Jim Brown lead the BROWNS to a championship when I was 13, I'll be 68 this next Super Bowl. PLAYOFFS.....baby!
-
We may win the Draft... again. So there's that...
But will we go undefeated in the Preseason? Again...
We may win the Draft... again. So there's that...
But will we go undefeated in the Preseason? Again...
Good teams basically rest players in the preseason and search for a few slots, they already know how to win when it counts.
Bad teams tend to do the opposite. Still it should be an interesting draft and camps.
-
I was contemplating creating a thread called "Pre-Draft Expectations for 2018", but this is basically the same thing. The interesting thing is our team APPEARS to be greatly improved even before the draft, and I'm not so sure we don't have a few tricks up our sleeve to add another skilled veteran or two come draft day. However, as it currently stands we have a "good" starting QB, and he's well known to be the hardest worker in the building. Former Browns Daily host and current Buffalo Bills personality Vic Carucci said Tyrod is the consummate professional, and he's the literally the first one to the building, and last one to leave. However, Tyrod isn't without concerns, and I do think there will be several games where he drives us insane.
Why? First off, Tyrod lead the entire league in time delivering the ball. In other words, he held onto the ball longer than anyone else after the snap (I'm 99% sure of this stat. I know Tyrod and Aaron Rodgers were somewhat close). Some of this can be attributed to Tyrod's ability to run and elude pressure, and that can be a GOOD thing, but holding onto the ball is also a symptom of indecision and not trusting his ability. Tyrod doesn't throw many interceptions, and again, a GOOD thing, but he's also extremely cautious and will not take enough chances. Sometimes you have to give your guys a chance to make a play, especially if you have people like Njoku, Gordon, and Landry. Will Tyrod be able to let it fly? Will his cautious approach jive with Hue and Haley? Tyrod is the "dump off king", and this bodes well for Duke and Landry, but less so for Gordon and probably Njoku. I'm interested to see how our offense looks this year, that's for sure.
Defensively, I'm not sure what to expect. We were terrible in two key statistics last year. Forcing turnovers and stopping teams in the red zone. We don't figure those things out and we're not going to win too many games. This isn't to say we didn't have our chances. Too many times our players dropped interceptions (some potential pick-6's), didn't recover fumbles, or failed to punch the ball out when the QB had it exposed. Our forced turnovers should increase with the additions of our secondary signings and the hopeful improvement of people like Garrett and Ogbah. Additionally, I wasn't pleased with the play of Peppers last year, but now he can move into strong safety, and there's a chance he flourishes at his more natural position. We lost the out of place Danny Shelton on the line, but I believe our coaches were quite impressed with our rookies Ogunjobi and Brantley. In fact, if we assume Jamie Collins comes back healthy from his knee injury, our front 7 is actually looking....well....GOOD?
All of this is just a bloated way of saying we're going to be better, but not a playoff team. It might sound like a cliché, but we never learned HOW to win last year, despite having multiple opportunities. I'm also not confident in our field goal kicker, and I can see THAT costing us multiple chances to win. When you have a guy like Tyrod who doesn't take a ton of chances, you HAVE to have a reliable kicker. Tyrod will pull the ball down and take off if he doesn't see what he wants, or he'll toss it out of bounds. These can be great moves by a QB (ahem, Kizer) but if you're going to do that, you need to have a kicker who can consistently knock it through the uprights or else your offense comes away with nothing and your entire team is deflated. There aren't many bigger swings in momentum than a nice drive that comes away with no points. Can Zane lock the job down? Can he even be a weapon for us? Can we depend on him to win us the game when it's all on the line?
Like I said in another post, much of our offensive success will hinge on Josh Gordon. Not everyone has a guy like Josh, and with an entire season of conditioning with the team, it's safe to say he could be primed for a nice season. Josh's ability to get vertical has the chance to open everything up for our other weapons, especially in the middle. Ironically, I'm more concerned with our RUNNING game than I am with our passing game. How crazy is that? Which rookie are we going to draft? Can Carlos Hyde stay healthy and make enough plays to move the ball and keep defenses honest? Can our rookie provide us with a little boost? (I'm assuming we draft one). Can we figure out how to get Duke more involved?
I don't think we're a playoff team, but I also don't think it's a crazy question, either. The important thing is for our team to win EARLY in the year. We can't start off 0-3 or something like that. Then the whispers of firing Hue Jackson come out, then the demands of playing our rookie QB materialize, and then you know the rest. We HAVE to win a few games early, even if it's only a record like 2-4 through 6 games. This much I know: We're going to have a "real team" this year. We have talent on both sides of the ball, we have coaches with legitimate experience, and we finally have a QB who can win some games and take care of the rock.
All of this is just a bloated way of saying we're going to be better, but not a playoff team. It might sound like a cliché, but we never learned HOW to win last year, despite having multiple opportunities. I'm also not confident in our field goal kicker, and I can see THAT costing us multiple chances to win.
Wow, this is exactly what I've been saying. Successful teams have to learn how to win....see the 1985 Browns, vs the 1986 Browns, for example.
The ball has to bounce the Browns way, and they have to take steps to make that happen. We're all hoping for contention/playoffs, but as much of a homer as I am, I don't see that happening in 2018. The schedule is pretty brutal (NFC South, AFC West), and we have to win home games vs our AFC North rivals. It's a lot to ask after 1-31, and even 4-44.
Nowhere to go but up for sure. We fans have to remain, ugh, patient AGAIN.
-
The Cleveland Browns are ABSOLUTELEY going to be a PLAYOFF TEAM this season.
Tyrod Taylor and Kevin Hogan are a solid B at QB
Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry are one of the NFL most scary duos as of this writing. A+ for WR
If the draft pans out correctly and we pick the Elite RB we'll have an A+ running game as well.
A hot young explosive offense and a young and talented defense with some veteran pieces at key positions.
Going into our 3rd season with Hue as HC, our 2nd with Gregg Williams and adding a legit OC in Haley is going to pay dividends.
We are certainly going to be in for a fun and exciting ride- Maybe the best since our 10 win season!
The Cleveland Browns are ABSOLUTELEY going to be a PLAYOFF TEAM this season.
Tyrod Taylor and Kevin Hogan are a solid B at QB
Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry are one of the NFL most scary duos as of this writing. A+ for WR
If the draft pans out correctly and we pick the Elite RB we'll have an A+ running game as well.
A hot young explosive offense and a young and talented defense with some veteran pieces at key positions.
Going into our 3rd season with Hue as HC, our 2nd with Gregg Williams and adding a legit OC in Haley is going to pay dividends.
We are certainly going to be in for a fun and exciting ride- Maybe the best since our 10 win season!
You realize Hogan will be gone right? Signing Stanton was the kiss of death for him. Just a matter of time
-
We may win the Draft... again. So there's that...
But will we go undefeated in the Preseason? Again...
We may win the Draft... again. So there's that...
But will we go undefeated in the Preseason? Again...
^^jcam222, Realize Poe'g owns a post flame thrower?🥷 he realizes nothing..... Am not willing to toss next seasons 1st rounder due to promising LT draftees..But I'd be willing to throw most the 5th,6th & 7ths in this one & next years 2nd & 3rds.. to stay in top 4 to 5 rounds of this Draft..
-
All of this is just a bloated way of saying we're going to be better, but not a playoff team. It might sound like a cliché, but we never learned HOW to win last year, despite having multiple opportunities. I'm also not confident in our field goal kicker, and I can see THAT costing us multiple chances to win.
Wow, this is exactly what I've been saying. Successful teams have to learn how to win....see the 1985 Browns, vs the 1986 Browns, for example.
The ball has to bounce the Browns way, and they have to take steps to make that happen. We're all hoping for contention/playoffs, but as much of a homer as I am, I don't see that happening in 2018. The schedule is pretty brutal (NFC South, AFC West), and we have to win home games vs our AFC North rivals. It's a lot to ask after 1-31, and even 4-44.
Nowhere to go but up for sure. We fans have to remain, ugh, patient AGAIN.
Wow, this is exactly what I've been saying. Successful teams have to learn how to win....see the 1985 Browns, vs the 1986 Browns, for example.
The ball has to bounce the Browns way, and they have to take steps to make that happen. We're all hoping for contention/playoffs, but as much of a homer as I am, I don't see that happening in 2018. The schedule is pretty brutal (NFC South, AFC West), and we have to win home games vs our AFC North rivals. It's a lot to ask after 1-31, and even 4-44.
Nowhere to go but up for sure. We fans have to remain, ugh, patient AGAIN.
We really need to win those games where we're "one play away", ya know? Last year the Green Bay game comes to mind. Kizer throws a perfect ball to Njoku on 3rd down which would've run the clock down to basically nothing, but instead he drops it after it LOOKED like he caught it. Replay confirmed that it hit the ground, which makes it incomplete, which makes the clock stop, we give up the giant punt return, and blah blah blah. The last game of the year comes to mind against the Steelers, both in 2017 AND 2016. The JETS game last year, and so on. Learn how to finish the dang games!!
-



-
I watched the playoffs last year. Both conferences were full of very good, but not elite teams. The SB had two teams with good D's get torched.
In otherwords, it's possible.
The NE defense was not that good.
IIRC, last in the league. They sucked vs the run and thats why Shelton is there.
-
The football gods could shine on the Browns.
You dont wish for injuries, but if Ben goes down for 2018 the Steelers are done. Harbawl and Lewis are both on the hot seat because of poor performances.
-
The Cleveland Browns are ABSOLUTELEY going to be a PLAYOFF TEAM this season.
Tyrod Taylor and Kevin Hogan are a solid B at QB
Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry are one of the NFL most scary duos as of this writing. A+ for WR
If the draft pans out correctly and we pick the Elite RB we'll have an A+ running game as well.
A hot young explosive offense and a young and talented defense with some veteran pieces at key positions.
Going into our 3rd season with Hue as HC, our 2nd with Gregg Williams and adding a legit OC in Haley is going to pay dividends.
We are certainly going to be in for a fun and exciting ride- Maybe the best since our 10 win season!
You realize Hogan will be gone right? Signing Stanton was the kiss of death for him. Just a matter of time
You realize Hogan will be gone right? Signing Stanton was the kiss of death for him. Just a matter of time
At best the Browns will try and stash Hogan on the Practice Squad. I looked, and he's still eligible. Camp arm, and nothing more....
^^jcam222, Realize Poe'g owns a post flame thrower?🥷 he realizes nothing..... Am not willing to toss next seasons 1st rounder due to promising LT draftees..But I'd be willing to throw most the 5th,6th & 7ths in this one & next years 2nd & 3rds.. to stay in top 4 to 5 rounds of this Draft..
Regarding Po- he lives in a fantasy world where the only reason Hogan isn't a starting QB in the NFL is because he's unfairly been relegated to third string on the Browns.... And Saquon? Sheeze, gonna set the rookie- (if not all time) records for rushing and touchdowns.
Gumby- this may well be a deep draft- but I'm not willing to put all my draft eggs in the 2018 basket. What if some of our picks this year don't pan out? What if some of the guys on the roster either under perform, or just flat out arent good enough. Plenty of players to choose from in that category.
-
with a great draft, I do believe the Browns have a playoff quality team. They were in a lot of games last year...
pass defense was the main aggravating problem, to me. We'll see. It won't be their new qb that gets them there, either.
Going to be a wild ride.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login