Skip to content

Baker Mayfield Thread

The Browns Board
976 82 48.5k 1
  • @lionofbuddha said:

    Again, I’m no expert, but watching the experts analyze his game they say he does have it between the ears. Many teams, including the Browns with Dorsey having specifically mentioned how quickly he picked up and understood the playbook at the Senior bowl

    As neither am I... and I can't remember my last Holiday Inn Express stay.

    Baker may well be capable. I just haven't seen game consistent evidence in a low-demand Offense.

    @flugel said:

    The comparison to Watson is only hollow if you need it to be. Watson had stuff to clean up too like 17 INTs in 2016 and 13 INTs in 2015.  There's 30 reason he headed off to the same QB Tutor (Jordan Palmer) that Darnold did. 

    If true, then what did Palmer fix? QB guru's don't fix "INTs". And I have the proof...

    As a rookie Watson threw 8 INTs in seven games.

    @tour2ma said:

    As neither am I... and I can't remember my last Holiday Inn Express stay.

    Well book a room for draft nights 1 & 2 then.😁

  • @gumby73 said:

    you can't steal this😉 but your Frosting your cake before Baker'ing it..🙂(NY/NY sits at #2&#3) but I do have white removable Duct Tape over my Man hell jersey till Draft day...MA YFIELD (tia won't let me hire Lincoln Riley thanks to Chip Kelly😛)  EDIt- Some compare Baker to Doug Flutie..naaa.He's not R.Wilson, small hands and much slower 40. Some do run faster being football chased. Not saying he's Brees but Brees took a couple seasons to see the light. Sure I've looked. Brees at combine would be hand timed. Brees played 45 games at Purdue(BM=48)//Both completed 1026 passes, Brees 1678 attempts, 61.1% for 11792 yards,90 tds.45 picks,132.5 QB rate  (BM=1497 attempts,68.5% for 14607 yards,131 tds. 30 picks, 175.4 qb rate)//Bress in school was 72.30 inches high/BM=6'1"//weight brees 213//BM=215//40 times Brees 4.85,BM=4.84//Bress hands are a inch bigger at 10.25.// 20 shut Brees 4.21,BM=4.28//3 cone Brees 7.09,BM=7.0//all in all some similarities are possible. Brees scores 28 in wonderlic.BM=25..can Dorsey pass, on weighing off the field issues to the safer Darnold or the head of class of Rosen? 

    Great stuff Gumbs!   I feel the same way about thinking he's most like Brees. And to your point about Brees, he was only 2-9 in his 3rd NFL season with a 57.6 comp % and 11 TD passes to 15 INTs. That was a big reason the Chargers drafted a QB 1st overall the next year. If Philip Rivers didn't hold out for the length of training camp, the Hall of Fame caliber career may have never started in Drew's 4th season.  The Chargers made a nice adjustment in his 4th year.  They drafted a Center out of Purdue Nick Hardwick who was accustomed to snapping for the shot gun formations Purdue QBs were cozy with (especially Brees). And where that helped him most - was with his pre-snap peripheral vision which ultimately enabled him to get rid of the ball quicker. If you go back and read some of his pre-draft scouting reports - some questioned how he'd adapt to being up under Center.  A BIG key to getting Brees from a forgettable "once upon a time" to the "happily ever after" was the coaching staff finally putting him in the formations he thrived in at Purdue much more frequently. 

    With any of these QBs - it's very important that the coaching staff puts them in the right setting for what they're wired to be.  For examples, if Cam Newton or Russell Wilson were asked to be cement shoe'd pocket passers only - they probably would have been handcuffed to disappointment.

    I think we have 3 really intriguing prospects on our door step with Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen. I thought I had it narrowed down to 2 guys like last year; but Rosen grew on me way more than I expected him to.  The Brees story reminds me that any of these guys can emerge as quickly as the coaching staff allows them to in tandem with how/what they are wired to be. If you gotta Dr Frankenstein the QB's wiring, you don't just have the wrong QB. You have the wrong FO... 

    @flugel said:

    Great stuff Gumbs!   I feel the same way about thinking he's most like Brees. And to your point about Brees, he was only 2-9 in his 3rd NFL season with a 57.6 comp % and 11 TD passes to 15 INTs. That was a big reason the Chargers drafted a QB 1st overall the next year. If Philip Rivers didn't hold out for the length of training camp, the Hall of Fame caliber career may have never started in Drew's 4th season.  The Chargers made a nice adjustment in his 4th year.  They drafted a Center out of Purdue Nick Hardwick who was accustomed to snapping for the shot gun formations Purdue QBs were cozy with (especially Brees). And where that helped him most - was with his pre-snap peripheral vision which ultimately enabled him to get rid of the ball quicker. If you go back and read some of his pre-draft scouting reports - some questioned how he'd adapt to being up under Center.  A BIG key to getting Brees from a forgettable "once upon a time" to the "happily ever after" was the coaching staff finally putting him in the formations he thrived in at Purdue much more frequently. 

    With any of these QBs - it's very important that the coaching staff puts them in the right setting for what they're wired to be.  For examples, if Cam Newton or Russell Wilson were asked to be cement shoe'd pocket passers only - they probably would have been handcuffed to disappointment.

    I think we have 3 really intriguing prospects on our door step with Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen. I thought I had it narrowed down to 2 guys like last year; but Rosen grew on me way more than I expected him to.  The Brees story reminds me that any of these guys can emerge as quickly as the coaching staff allows them to in tandem with how/what they are wired to be. If you gotta Dr Frankenstein the QB's wiring, you don't just have the wrong QB. You have the wrong FO... 

    I have legitimate concerns we're going to draft Allen. While I'm obviously not a pro scout, I feel like I've been right way more than wrong when diagnosing qb's. For instance, I hated every single QB we've drafted. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself otherwise. And what do you know? They all sucked. When watching Allen, my "he's going to be a colossal bust" alarm goes off. 

    The other 3, Baker, Rosen, Darnold, could make me happy after draft day. Baker is still the choice for me, and his firey attitude and precision accuracy make me believe he's got the goods. Baker is fast enough to run read-option, strong enough to throw everything, and has the moxie to elevate us from the toilet bowl. 

  • @flugel said:

    Great stuff Gumbs!   I feel the same way about thinking he's most like Brees. And to your point about Brees, he was only 2-9 in his 3rd NFL season with a 57.6 comp % and 11 TD passes to 15 INTs. That was a big reason the Chargers drafted a QB 1st overall the next year. If Philip Rivers didn't hold out for the length of training camp, the Hall of Fame caliber career may have never started in Drew's 4th season.  The Chargers made a nice adjustment in his 4th year.  They drafted a Center out of Purdue Nick Hardwick who was accustomed to snapping for the shot gun formations Purdue QBs were cozy with (especially Brees). And where that helped him most - was with his pre-snap peripheral vision which ultimately enabled him to get rid of the ball quicker. If you go back and read some of his pre-draft scouting reports - some questioned how he'd adapt to being up under Center.  A BIG key to getting Brees from a forgettable "once upon a time" to the "happily ever after" was the coaching staff finally putting him in the formations he thrived in at Purdue much more frequently. 

    With any of these QBs - it's very important that the coaching staff puts them in the right setting for what they're wired to be.  For examples, if Cam Newton or Russell Wilson were asked to be cement shoe'd pocket passers only - they probably would have been handcuffed to disappointment.

    I think we have 3 really intriguing prospects on our door step with Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen. I thought I had it narrowed down to 2 guys like last year; but Rosen grew on me way more than I expected him to.  The Brees story reminds me that any of these guys can emerge as quickly as the coaching staff allows them to in tandem with how/what they are wired to be. If you gotta Dr Frankenstein the QB's wiring, you don't just have the wrong QB. You have the wrong FO... 

    I have legitimate concerns we're going to draft Allen. While I'm obviously not a pro scout, I feel like I've been right way more than wrong when diagnosing qb's. For instance, I hated every single QB we've drafted. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself otherwise. And what do you know? They all sucked. When watching Allen, my "he's going to be a colossal bust" alarm goes off. 

    The other 3, Baker, Rosen, Darnold, could make me happy after draft day. Baker is still the choice for me, and his firey attitude and precision accuracy make me believe he's got the goods. Baker is fast enough to run read-option, strong enough to throw everything, and has the moxie to elevate us from the toilet bowl. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I have legitimate concerns we're going to draft Allen. While I'm obviously not a pro scout, I feel like I've been right way more than wrong when diagnosing qb's. For instance, I hated every single QB we've drafted. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself otherwise. And what do you know? They all sucked. When watching Allen, my "he's going to be a colossal bust" alarm goes off. 

    The other 3, Baker, Rosen, Darnold, could make me happy after draft day. Baker is still the choice for me, and his firey attitude and precision accuracy make me believe he's got the goods. Baker is fast enough to run read-option, strong enough to throw everything, and has the moxie to elevate us from the toilet bowl. 

    If it wasn't for 3 facts I would draft Rosen in a  heartbeat.

    1. 2 concussions in HS

    2. 2 concussions in college

    3. Father is a doctor and you can bet Josh will give up football in a NY minute if his father advises him to do so once he's made a few  $Mil. That might be only a season if we take him first overall.

  • @bobpound said:

    Take Saquon Barkley at 1 and I think it is likely that Mayfield is available at 4...


    Thoughts?

    You haven't seen Po's 50 pages worth- in three different threads- of Barkley love and board rebuttal? There's hundreds of dollars and other miscellaneous bets he won't take that Barkley will not be the Browns pick at #1. 

    Get your top QB first, and if Saquon isn't there at #4- it's no big deal. You take the best defensive player on the board instead- Chubb... 

    @hoorta said:

    You haven't seen Po's 50 pages worth- in three different threads- of Barkley love and board rebuttal? There's hundreds of dollars and other miscellaneous bets he won't take that Barkley will not be the Browns pick at #1. 

    Get your top QB first, and if Saquon isn't there at #4- it's no big deal. You take the best defensive player on the board instead- Chubb... 

    Then Po should just commit Hari Kari and get it over with.. It would do us all a favor from seeing his fanboy rhetoric, day in and day out.. I like the kid.. but jeeze.. At some point in ones life.. You would hope maturity and common sense takes over... And sets in...

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I have legitimate concerns we're going to draft Allen. While I'm obviously not a pro scout, I feel like I've been right way more than wrong when diagnosing qb's. For instance, I hated every single QB we've drafted. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself otherwise. And what do you know? They all sucked. When watching Allen, my "he's going to be a colossal bust" alarm goes off. 

    The other 3, Baker, Rosen, Darnold, could make me happy after draft day. Baker is still the choice for me, and his firey attitude and precision accuracy make me believe he's got the goods. Baker is fast enough to run read-option, strong enough to throw everything, and has the moxie to elevate us from the toilet bowl. 

    If it wasn't for 3 facts I would draft Rosen in a  heartbeat.

    1. 2 concussions in HS

    2. 2 concussions in college

    3. Father is a doctor and you can bet Josh will give up football in a NY minute if his father advises him to do so once he's made a few  $Mil. That might be only a season if we take him first overall.

    @texasag1969 said:

    If it wasn't for 3 facts I would draft Rosen in a  heartbeat.

    1. 2 concussions in HS

    2. 2 concussions in college

    3. Father is a doctor and you can bet Josh will give up football in a NY minute if his father advises him to do so once he's made a few  $Mil. That might be only a season if we take him first overall.

    You might be absolutely correct about this, but here's a little fact many people on here probably don't know (and I didn't either until recently):

    There's a QB in the NFL who is from California, comes from money, and his father is a doctor (chiropractor)... His name is Aaron Rodgers. Anyone think Rodgers is retiring anytime soon because of his season-ending injury last season?

  • Concussion is far worse in terms of football than any other injury to overcome as a lifelong aftereffect.

  • @lionofbuddha said:

    Again, I’m no expert, but watching the experts analyze his game they say he does have it between the ears. Many teams, including the Browns with Dorsey having specifically mentioned how quickly he picked up and understood the playbook at the Senior bowl

    As neither am I... and I can't remember my last Holiday Inn Express stay.

    Baker may well be capable. I just haven't seen game consistent evidence in a low-demand Offense.

    @flugel said:

    The comparison to Watson is only hollow if you need it to be. Watson had stuff to clean up too like 17 INTs in 2016 and 13 INTs in 2015.  There's 30 reason he headed off to the same QB Tutor (Jordan Palmer) that Darnold did. 

    If true, then what did Palmer fix? QB guru's don't fix "INTs". And I have the proof...

    As a rookie Watson threw 8 INTs in seven games.

    @tour2ma said:

    ... and I can't remember my last Holiday Inn Express stay.

    I do.. it was when Greensboro,NC aloud the NCAA Basketball tourney..For some reason, Hughesnet booked the same hotel for training..Picture this in a navy blue 1 piece swimming..

       with your wife & kids poolside 😎 good god! what a body on this one..ok back to Bake-her😉

  • @lionofbuddha said:

    Again, I’m no expert, but watching the experts analyze his game they say he does have it between the ears. Many teams, including the Browns with Dorsey having specifically mentioned how quickly he picked up and understood the playbook at the Senior bowl

    As neither am I... and I can't remember my last Holiday Inn Express stay.

    Baker may well be capable. I just haven't seen game consistent evidence in a low-demand Offense.

    @flugel said:

    The comparison to Watson is only hollow if you need it to be. Watson had stuff to clean up too like 17 INTs in 2016 and 13 INTs in 2015.  There's 30 reason he headed off to the same QB Tutor (Jordan Palmer) that Darnold did. 

    If true, then what did Palmer fix? QB guru's don't fix "INTs". And I have the proof...

    As a rookie Watson threw 8 INTs in seven games.

    @tour2ma said:

    If true, then what did Palmer fix? QB guru's don't fix "INTs". And I have the proof...

    As a rookie Watson threw 8 INTs in seven games.

    Way to deviate from your opinion that 30 INTs in his final 2 seasons at Clemson = zero to work on for a prospect heading to an NFL offense.  Nice job of leaving out the 19 TD passes he threw as a wide eyed rookie in your quest to prove all his time spent with Jordan Palmer was just a waste of time. That brings the TD:INT ratio to a very inconvenient 19:8 for you while Houston improved to being the top scoring offense in 5 of the 7 weeks Watson started.  Not bad considering what they looked like in his absence.  I dare say I saw an expedited learning curve that made him happy he spent all that off-season time with Jordan Palmer while you need to assure yourself it was all just a complete waste of time. You don't teach a guy to just prevent INTs - you teach him a holistic approach to an NFL passing game vrs complicated NFL defenses that college barnball offenses ill-prepare their QBs for today.  Hopefully it shows up in the type of TD:INT ratio Houston was very fond of from their rookie QB.  That NFL starting point even compares favorably to Peyton Manning's 26 TDs:28 INTs. 

    In your see no evil hear no evil defense of Rosen - Jordan Palmer has be a waste of time since Darnold is working with him while Rosen is not.  Gee, who didn't see this one coming?  Have you seen the video the NFL Channel keeps showing about the conversation Rosen had with Aaron Rodgers?  Rodgers is telling him about a hop and a hitch he adds to certain occasions/scenarios that he finds helpful. Have you had a chance to straighten him out yet?

    This conversation started out with me agreeing with you that Darnold has a lot to work on so I didn't expect your knees to buckle so easily when I piggybacked on.  While I've come a long way on Rosen,  I don't think he's as consistent the people looking down their noses at Darnold think he is.  And while I'm at it, UCLA has an OT that is projected to go in rd 1 or 2 while Athlon Draft Guide says they have the 5th best OG slated to go in rd 3 or 4.  Not bad considering I kept hearing Poor Rosen allegedly never gets any help from his teammates.  Who's getting drafted from USC's line this year? If I get asked by a Rosen fan what if you they swapped teams.  I ask does Rosen's football career end the day Ohio State's pass rush decimates USC's pass pro up front?   Just to illustrate the difference in Darnold's pass pro and adversity from 2016 to 2017 - he was only sacked 6 times in 2016 vrs 29 times in 2017.  That 2017 volume doesn't sound like protection Rosen would prefer or thrive in especially considering how many more concussions he can afford.

    Here's a statistical comparison of Darnold and Rosen in spite of their overall experience and foot polish:
    Darnold 20 wins 4 los 7229 yds 8.5 ypa 64.9 cmp% 57 TD 22 INT 332 ydrus 7 TD rush  21 fum 35 sacks

    Rosen 17 wins 13 los 9339 yds 8.0 ypa 60.9 cmp% 59 TD 26 INT -153 ydrus 6 TD rush 20 fum 53 sacks

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I have legitimate concerns we're going to draft Allen. While I'm obviously not a pro scout, I feel like I've been right way more than wrong when diagnosing qb's. For instance, I hated every single QB we've drafted. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself otherwise. And what do you know? They all sucked. When watching Allen, my "he's going to be a colossal bust" alarm goes off. 

    The other 3, Baker, Rosen, Darnold, could make me happy after draft day. Baker is still the choice for me, and his firey attitude and precision accuracy make me believe he's got the goods. Baker is fast enough to run read-option, strong enough to throw everything, and has the moxie to elevate us from the toilet bowl. 

    If it wasn't for 3 facts I would draft Rosen in a  heartbeat.

    1. 2 concussions in HS

    2. 2 concussions in college

    3. Father is a doctor and you can bet Josh will give up football in a NY minute if his father advises him to do so once he's made a few  $Mil. That might be only a season if we take him first overall.

    @texasag1969 said:

    If it wasn't for 3 facts I would draft Rosen in a  heartbeat.

    1. 2 concussions in HS

    2. 2 concussions in college

    3. Father is a doctor and you can bet Josh will give up football in a NY minute if his father advises him to do so once he's made a few  $Mil. That might be only a season if we take him first overall.

    Speaking a NY minute, it doesn't get any better at #2 overall.  Nobody had worse pass pro than the NY Football Giants in 2017. And if they go QB at #2 overall, they're neglecting the best possible immediate help at protecting a 1st round QB investment.  

  • Concussion is far worse in terms of football than any other injury to overcome as a lifelong aftereffect.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Concussion is far worse in terms of football than any other injury to overcome as a lifelong aftereffect.

    Absolutely, and I totally get why people hesitate to back Rosen due to injury concerns.

    But it's still interesting to note that Rosen isn't the only rich kid from California whose dad is a doctor. 

  • This was a Baker Mayfield thread, yes?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    If it wasn't for 3 facts I would draft Rosen in a  heartbeat.

    1. 2 concussions in HS

    2. 2 concussions in college

    3. Father is a doctor and you can bet Josh will give up football in a NY minute if his father advises him to do so once he's made a few  $Mil. That might be only a season if we take him first overall.

    You might be absolutely correct about this, but here's a little fact many people on here probably don't know (and I didn't either until recently):

    There's a QB in the NFL who is from California, comes from money, and his father is a doctor (chiropractor)... His name is Aaron Rodgers. Anyone think Rodgers is retiring anytime soon because of his season-ending injury last season?

    @dutch-oven said:

    There's a QB in the NFL who is from California, comes from money, and his father is a doctor (chiropractor)... His name is Aaron Rodgers. Anyone think Rodgers is retiring anytime soon because of his season-ending injury last season?

    Maybe a Mall Doctor 

  • This was a Baker Mayfield thread, yes?

    @mike-h said:

    This was a Baker Mayfield thread, yes?

    F.U.C.K Mayfield weve moved on to more important things 

  • sydS syd

    @mike-h said:

    This was a Baker Mayfield thread, yes?

    F.U.C.K Mayfield weve moved on to more important things 

    @syd said:

    F.U.C.K Mayfield weve moved on to more important things 

    Why did you use periods in Shmuck?

    ...and I answered my own question. I’ll see myself out.

  • I mean do's anyone think that the practice of chiropractology  is real medicine ? do you need to go to med school ? or just take a online course

  • sydS syd

    I mean do's anyone think that the practice of chiropractology  is real medicine ? do you need to go to med school ? or just take a online course

    @syd said:

    I mean do's anyone think that the practice of chiropractology  is real medicine ? do you need to go to med school ? or just take a online course

    Actually the AMA Lobby has made sure that chiropractic school is really really hard. Keep the riff-raff out and cut down on competition. Personally I don't think Chiropractic is anywhere near as useful as actual Physician or DO practiced medicine but... It ain't a cakewalk.

    WSS

  • @syd said:

    I mean do's anyone think that the practice of chiropractology  is real medicine ? do you need to go to med school ? or just take a online course

    Actually the AMA Lobby has made sure that chiropractic school is really really hard. Keep the riff-raff out and cut down on competition. Personally I don't think Chiropractic is anywhere near as useful as actual Physician or DO practiced medicine but... It ain't a cakewalk.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Actually the AMA Lobby has made sure that chiropractic school is really really hard. Keep the riff-raff out and cut down on competition. Personally I don't think Chiropractic is anywhere near as useful as actual Physician or DO practiced medicine but... It ain't a cakewalk.

    WSS

    ahh i thought it was just oils and incantations 

  • sydS syd

    @westside-steve said:

    Actually the AMA Lobby has made sure that chiropractic school is really really hard. Keep the riff-raff out and cut down on competition. Personally I don't think Chiropractic is anywhere near as useful as actual Physician or DO practiced medicine but... It ain't a cakewalk.

    WSS

    ahh i thought it was just oils and incantations 

    @syd said:

    ahh i thought it was just oils and incantations 

    To an extent I think you are right but still the training is  really stringent.  Also ... Remember that the American public is addicted to Medicine. I think in many cases maybe even most, the ailments that befall the General Public will probably get better on their own. My neck hurts or my back hurts and I go to see chiropractor it feels better for a while. I'm not thinking that it's curing anyting but what the hell? How many guys do we know that have had back surgery that are worse off afterwards?

    WSS

  • @tour2ma said:

    If true, then what did Palmer fix? QB guru's don't fix "INTs". And I have the proof...

    As a rookie Watson threw 8 INTs in seven games.

    Way to deviate from your opinion that 30 INTs in his final 2 seasons at Clemson = zero to work on for a prospect heading to an NFL offense.  Nice job of leaving out the 19 TD passes he threw as a wide eyed rookie in your quest to prove all his time spent with Jordan Palmer was just a waste of time. That brings the TD:INT ratio to a very inconvenient 19:8 for you while Houston improved to being the top scoring offense in 5 of the 7 weeks Watson started.  Not bad considering what they looked like in his absence.  I dare say I saw an expedited learning curve that made him happy he spent all that off-season time with Jordan Palmer while you need to assure yourself it was all just a complete waste of time. You don't teach a guy to just prevent INTs - you teach him a holistic approach to an NFL passing game vrs complicated NFL defenses that college barnball offenses ill-prepare their QBs for today.  Hopefully it shows up in the type of TD:INT ratio Houston was very fond of from their rookie QB.  That NFL starting point even compares favorably to Peyton Manning's 26 TDs:28 INTs. 

    In your see no evil hear no evil defense of Rosen - Jordan Palmer has be a waste of time since Darnold is working with him while Rosen is not.  Gee, who didn't see this one coming?  Have you seen the video the NFL Channel keeps showing about the conversation Rosen had with Aaron Rodgers?  Rodgers is telling him about a hop and a hitch he adds to certain occasions/scenarios that he finds helpful. Have you had a chance to straighten him out yet?

    This conversation started out with me agreeing with you that Darnold has a lot to work on so I didn't expect your knees to buckle so easily when I piggybacked on.  While I've come a long way on Rosen,  I don't think he's as consistent the people looking down their noses at Darnold think he is.  And while I'm at it, UCLA has an OT that is projected to go in rd 1 or 2 while Athlon Draft Guide says they have the 5th best OG slated to go in rd 3 or 4.  Not bad considering I kept hearing Poor Rosen allegedly never gets any help from his teammates.  Who's getting drafted from USC's line this year? If I get asked by a Rosen fan what if you they swapped teams.  I ask does Rosen's football career end the day Ohio State's pass rush decimates USC's pass pro up front?   Just to illustrate the difference in Darnold's pass pro and adversity from 2016 to 2017 - he was only sacked 6 times in 2016 vrs 29 times in 2017.  That 2017 volume doesn't sound like protection Rosen would prefer or thrive in especially considering how many more concussions he can afford.

    Here's a statistical comparison of Darnold and Rosen in spite of their overall experience and foot polish:
    Darnold 20 wins 4 los 7229 yds 8.5 ypa 64.9 cmp% 57 TD 22 INT 332 ydrus 7 TD rush  21 fum 35 sacks

    Rosen 17 wins 13 los 9339 yds 8.0 ypa 60.9 cmp% 59 TD 26 INT -153 ydrus 6 TD rush 20 fum 53 sacks

    @flugel said:

    Way to deviate from your opinion that 30 INTs in his final 2 seasons at Clemson = zero to work on for a prospect heading to an NFL offense.  Nice job of leaving out the 19 TD passes he threw as a wide eyed rookie in your quest to prove all his time spent with Jordan Palmer was just a waste of time. That brings the TD:INT ratio to a very inconvenient 19:8 for you while Houston improved to being the top scoring offense in 5 of the 7 weeks Watson started.  Not bad considering what they looked like in his absence.  I dare say I saw an expedited learning curve that made him happy he spent all that off-season time with Jordan Palmer while you need to assure yourself it was all just a complete waste of time. You don't teach a guy to just prevent INTs - you teach him a holistic approach to an NFL passing game vrs complicated NFL defenses that college barnball offenses ill-prepare their QBs for today.  Hopefully it shows up in the type of TD:INT ratio Houston was very fond of from their rookie QB.  That NFL starting point even compares favorably to Peyton Manning's 26 TDs:28 INTs. 

    In your see no evil hear no evil defense of Rosen - Jordan Palmer has be a waste of time since Darnold is working with him while Rosen is not.  Gee, who didn't see this one coming?  Have you seen the video the NFL Channel keeps showing about the conversation Rosen had with Aaron Rodgers?  Rodgers is telling him about a hop and a hitch he adds to certain occasions/scenarios that he finds helpful. Have you had a chance to straighten him out yet?

    This conversation started out with me agreeing with you that Darnold has a lot to work on so I didn't expect your knees to buckle so easily when I piggybacked on.  While I've come a long way on Rosen,  I don't think he's as consistent the people looking down their noses at Darnold think he is.  And while I'm at it, UCLA has an OT that is projected to go in rd 1 or 2 while Athlon Draft Guide says they have the 5th best OG slated to go in rd 3 or 4.  Not bad considering I kept hearing Poor Rosen allegedly never gets any help from his teammates.  Who's getting drafted from USC's line this year? If I get asked by a Rosen fan what if you they swapped teams.  I ask does Rosen's football career end the day Ohio State's pass rush decimates USC's pass pro up front?   Just to illustrate the difference in Darnold's pass pro and adversity from 2016 to 2017 - he was only sacked 6 times in 2016 vrs 29 times in 2017.  That 2017 volume doesn't sound like protection Rosen would prefer or thrive in especially considering how many more concussions he can afford.

    Here's a statistical comparison of Darnold and Rosen in spite of their overall experience and foot polish:
    Darnold 20 wins 4 los 7229 yds 8.5 ypa 64.9 cmp% 57 TD 22 INT 332 ydrus 7 TD rush  21 fum 35 sacks

    Rosen 17 wins 13 los 9339 yds 8.0 ypa 60.9 cmp% 59 TD 26 INT -153 ydrus 6 TD rush 20 fum 53 sacks

    Wow... I don't think I was the one to initially raise the INTs as some kind of evidence of something, Flugs. Since I wasn't I'm not sure how I can deviate from it. I merely demonstrated that Watson's 2017 was not a significant improvement over his college performance.

    But for and to complete the record on that point... Watson's TD:INT at Clemson was 90:32... nearly 3:1. Still waiting for your observation of what Palmer "fixed" to enable Watson's regression... I mean "expedited learning curve" to a lower ratio.

    Haven't seen the "hop n hitch" segment. Do you think it is why Darnold hopped into the tops of his drops at his Pro Day?

    But going back further... I never questioned Palmer's credentials, just your assertion that Watson had issues that needed fixing. He was pretty complete to my eye coming out. Only concerns I had were injury and a low ceiling. So far I think I'm 2 fer 2.... but it's early yet.

    As for supporting casts... yes, one QB had an overrated OT and a Day 3 OG. The other had a Day 2 RB and Day 3 WR. And then there's the Defense comparisons... the #117 allowing 36.6 ppg and the #60 allowing 26.1. Since I raised the point you can guess whose is whose. Outside of drop percentage stuff I think this is the first time I've addressed supporting casts, but it may not be. I doubt Rosen and his 26 sacks in 2017 felt seriously advantaged vs. Darnold's 29.

    As for the stat line comparison... I've seen it. That's why I've been trying to cozy up to Darnold... I just can't get there...

    But thanks for trying to help... only buckled my right knee, but it's prone to that anyway...

  • @flugel said:

    Way to deviate from your opinion that 30 INTs in his final 2 seasons at Clemson = zero to work on for a prospect heading to an NFL offense.  Nice job of leaving out the 19 TD passes he threw as a wide eyed rookie in your quest to prove all his time spent with Jordan Palmer was just a waste of time. That brings the TD:INT ratio to a very inconvenient 19:8 for you while Houston improved to being the top scoring offense in 5 of the 7 weeks Watson started.  Not bad considering what they looked like in his absence.  I dare say I saw an expedited learning curve that made him happy he spent all that off-season time with Jordan Palmer while you need to assure yourself it was all just a complete waste of time. You don't teach a guy to just prevent INTs - you teach him a holistic approach to an NFL passing game vrs complicated NFL defenses that college barnball offenses ill-prepare their QBs for today.  Hopefully it shows up in the type of TD:INT ratio Houston was very fond of from their rookie QB.  That NFL starting point even compares favorably to Peyton Manning's 26 TDs:28 INTs. 

    In your see no evil hear no evil defense of Rosen - Jordan Palmer has be a waste of time since Darnold is working with him while Rosen is not.  Gee, who didn't see this one coming?  Have you seen the video the NFL Channel keeps showing about the conversation Rosen had with Aaron Rodgers?  Rodgers is telling him about a hop and a hitch he adds to certain occasions/scenarios that he finds helpful. Have you had a chance to straighten him out yet?

    This conversation started out with me agreeing with you that Darnold has a lot to work on so I didn't expect your knees to buckle so easily when I piggybacked on.  While I've come a long way on Rosen,  I don't think he's as consistent the people looking down their noses at Darnold think he is.  And while I'm at it, UCLA has an OT that is projected to go in rd 1 or 2 while Athlon Draft Guide says they have the 5th best OG slated to go in rd 3 or 4.  Not bad considering I kept hearing Poor Rosen allegedly never gets any help from his teammates.  Who's getting drafted from USC's line this year? If I get asked by a Rosen fan what if you they swapped teams.  I ask does Rosen's football career end the day Ohio State's pass rush decimates USC's pass pro up front?   Just to illustrate the difference in Darnold's pass pro and adversity from 2016 to 2017 - he was only sacked 6 times in 2016 vrs 29 times in 2017.  That 2017 volume doesn't sound like protection Rosen would prefer or thrive in especially considering how many more concussions he can afford.

    Here's a statistical comparison of Darnold and Rosen in spite of their overall experience and foot polish:
    Darnold 20 wins 4 los 7229 yds 8.5 ypa 64.9 cmp% 57 TD 22 INT 332 ydrus 7 TD rush  21 fum 35 sacks

    Rosen 17 wins 13 los 9339 yds 8.0 ypa 60.9 cmp% 59 TD 26 INT -153 ydrus 6 TD rush 20 fum 53 sacks

    Wow... I don't think I was the one to initially raise the INTs as some kind of evidence of something, Flugs. Since I wasn't I'm not sure how I can deviate from it. I merely demonstrated that Watson's 2017 was not a significant improvement over his college performance.

    But for and to complete the record on that point... Watson's TD:INT at Clemson was 90:32... nearly 3:1. Still waiting for your observation of what Palmer "fixed" to enable Watson's regression... I mean "expedited learning curve" to a lower ratio.

    Haven't seen the "hop n hitch" segment. Do you think it is why Darnold hopped into the tops of his drops at his Pro Day?

    But going back further... I never questioned Palmer's credentials, just your assertion that Watson had issues that needed fixing. He was pretty complete to my eye coming out. Only concerns I had were injury and a low ceiling. So far I think I'm 2 fer 2.... but it's early yet.

    As for supporting casts... yes, one QB had an overrated OT and a Day 3 OG. The other had a Day 2 RB and Day 3 WR. And then there's the Defense comparisons... the #117 allowing 36.6 ppg and the #60 allowing 26.1. Since I raised the point you can guess whose is whose. Outside of drop percentage stuff I think this is the first time I've addressed supporting casts, but it may not be. I doubt Rosen and his 26 sacks in 2017 felt seriously advantaged vs. Darnold's 29.

    As for the stat line comparison... I've seen it. That's why I've been trying to cozy up to Darnold... I just can't get there...

    But thanks for trying to help... only buckled my right knee, but it's prone to that anyway...

    @tour2ma said:

    Wow... I don't think I was the one to initially raise the INTs as some kind of evidence of something, Flugs. Since I wasn't I'm not sure how I can deviate from it. I merely demonstrated that Watson's 2017 was not a significant improvement over his college performance.

    But for and to complete the record on that point... Watson's TD:INT at Clemson was 90:32... nearly 3:1. Still waiting for your observation of what Palmer "fixed" to enable Watson's regression... I mean "expedited learning curve" to a lower ratio.

    Haven't seen the "hop n hitch" segment. Do you think it is why Darnold hopped into the tops of his drops at his Pro Day?

    But going back further... I never questioned Palmer's credentials, just your assertion that Watson had issues that needed fixing. He was pretty complete to my eye coming out. Only concerns I had were injury and a low ceiling. So far I think I'm 2 fer 2.... but it's early yet.

    As for supporting casts... yes, one QB had an overrated OT and a Day 3 OG. The other had a Day 2 RB and Day 3 WR. And then there's the Defense comparisons... the #117 allowing 36.6 ppg and the #60 allowing 26.1. Since I raised the point you can guess whose is whose. Outside of drop percentage stuff I think this is the first time I've addressed supporting casts, but it may not be. I doubt Rosen and his 26 sacks in 2017 felt seriously advantaged vs. Darnold's 29.

    As for the stat line comparison... I've seen it. That's why I've been trying to cozy up to Darnold... I just can't get there...

    But thanks for trying to help... only buckled my right knee, but it's prone to that anyway...

    Like other young QBs like Mitch L. Trubisky and Jameis Winston are finding out - the NFL doesn't provide the same give-me's the ACC did.  That being the case a 19 TD:8 INT in just 7 games was a pretty good start. 

    The defense at UCLA and USC won't be what Darnold and Rosen are being evaluated by so they don't matter to me. 

    I just think your competitive side that only has eyes for Rosen looks harder for flaws in others than it is willing to do with him.  I could be wrong with that though.

    I like the way you closed strong above Tour.  That being the case, I'll make sure I give your right knee a better warning next time I go piggyback.