Jonathan Paul Manziel
-
First thing we must do for Johnny is get rid of Pettine.
-
I haven't been to impressed either most of his yards and completion have come in garbage time or against soft coverage. He just hasn't been accurate enough and he seems slow out there
-
2016 Johnny #1 McCown #2. ? Build up everywhere else.
-
I agree with what everyone has said. What worries me is we're going to ruin any chance that Manziel has by not providing him a capable team around him (sound familiar?) Christ, at one time Manziel was throwing the ball to Marlan Moore, Terrell Pryor, Jim Dray, and Travis Benjamin. But offense is just one part of it. What happens when Manziel can play with a solid defense? We got a glimpse of it against Tennessee and San Francisco. When he gets the ball back from a punt or a turnover, he starts to find a rhythm. A rhythm isn't exactly easy to find when your defense doesn't force a damn punt and the QB is sitting on the bench for extended amounts of time.
It's not easy to evaluate a young QB when the team is playing AT perhaps the toughest venue in professional sports, who just happens to have a crazy defense. And by the way, traveling to Kansas City might be the SECOND toughest place to play in the NFL, so he has THAT going for him...which is nice. And the icing on the cake is the Steelers game at home. The same Steelers team that somehow almost put up a 40 burger on the best defense in the league.
I'd love to see what Johnny can do in a close game. What's he look like when we're down 4 with 2 minutes left, and we need a TD? Or what's he play like when we're up 2 points and we have to close the game out? When we get down 17 points or more, the opposition knows we're passing it, and they can just tee off. That's difficult for the most seasoned QB's, let alone a second year guy with limited experience and more limited weapons.
Johnny has impressed me, and I didn't think I'd say that. Not only that, but the guy is FUN to watch! I like watching him execute a nice fake, looking down field, not knowing if he will run or pass...it's exciting. He's not fumbling the ball anymore (I don't think yesterday really counts), he's not throwing a ton of poor passes, and he largely looks in control. And that ball comes out HOT. I think the accuracy will come around a bit, and I really do believe that Manziel provides a spark to everyone on the team.
He did not even do that well in garbage time...
I agree with what everyone has said. What worries me is we're going to ruin any chance that Manziel has by not providing him a capable team around him (sound familiar?) Christ, at one time Manziel was throwing the ball to Marlan Moore, Terrell Pryor, Jim Dray, and Travis Benjamin. But offense is just one part of it. What happens when Manziel can play with a solid defense? We got a glimpse of it against Tennessee and San Francisco. When he gets the ball back from a punt or a turnover, he starts to find a rhythm. A rhythm isn't exactly easy to find when your defense doesn't force a damn punt and the QB is sitting on the bench for extended amounts of time.
It's not easy to evaluate a young QB when the team is playing AT perhaps the toughest venue in professional sports, who just happens to have a crazy defense. And by the way, traveling to Kansas City might be the SECOND toughest place to play in the NFL, so he has THAT going for him...which is nice. And the icing on the cake is the Steelers game at home. The same Steelers team that somehow almost put up a 40 burger on the best defense in the league.
It is hard for us to evaluate a QB based upon a one-time, real-time, broadcast view. It is not when you have an All-22 cut-down and 24 hours.
Excepting his feet, JM is showing most of what you want to see in a QB prospect. I can let yesterday's fumble go as a one-off, flash regression since his ball position has been much improved this year. I can't give credit for mastering play-calling late in a sophomore season. There was a lot of frantic clapping going on yesterday... some starting with 5 seconds on the play clock while our Center was still communicating line calls.
I thought the contrast between JM and Wilson was interesting especially when it came to their scrambling. JM just looked "frantic" in comparison. My impression was that this was symptomatic of their relative game speed perceptions, i.e., the game has yet to fully slow down for JM. It still may...
Additionally as I've written elsewhere, JM is not yet anticipating throws. This is the big hurdle to attaining "franchise" status. Displaying anticipation does not require a better defense, a close game or even an improved WR corps... it does not even require completions.
Not sure what triggers "anticipation" unless it's something akin to visualizing a golf shot, except at hyper speed. But I'm willing to bet it is a switch that suddenly clicks and the light goes on...
Bottom line: Mind is not changed yet, but two weeks to go...
-
He did not even do that well in garbage time...
I agree with what everyone has said. What worries me is we're going to ruin any chance that Manziel has by not providing him a capable team around him (sound familiar?) Christ, at one time Manziel was throwing the ball to Marlan Moore, Terrell Pryor, Jim Dray, and Travis Benjamin. But offense is just one part of it. What happens when Manziel can play with a solid defense? We got a glimpse of it against Tennessee and San Francisco. When he gets the ball back from a punt or a turnover, he starts to find a rhythm. A rhythm isn't exactly easy to find when your defense doesn't force a damn punt and the QB is sitting on the bench for extended amounts of time.
It's not easy to evaluate a young QB when the team is playing AT perhaps the toughest venue in professional sports, who just happens to have a crazy defense. And by the way, traveling to Kansas City might be the SECOND toughest place to play in the NFL, so he has THAT going for him...which is nice. And the icing on the cake is the Steelers game at home. The same Steelers team that somehow almost put up a 40 burger on the best defense in the league.
It is hard for us to evaluate a QB based upon a one-time, real-time, broadcast view. It is not when you have an All-22 cut-down and 24 hours.
Excepting his feet, JM is showing most of what you want to see in a QB prospect. I can let yesterday's fumble go as a one-off, flash regression since his ball position has been much improved this year. I can't give credit for mastering play-calling late in a sophomore season. There was a lot of frantic clapping going on yesterday... some starting with 5 seconds on the play clock while our Center was still communicating line calls.
I thought the contrast between JM and Wilson was interesting especially when it came to their scrambling. JM just looked "frantic" in comparison. My impression was that this was symptomatic of their relative game speed perceptions, i.e., the game has yet to fully slow down for JM. It still may...
Additionally as I've written elsewhere, JM is not yet anticipating throws. This is the big hurdle to attaining "franchise" status. Displaying anticipation does not require a better defense, a close game or even an improved WR corps... it does not even require completions.
Not sure what triggers "anticipation" unless it's something akin to visualizing a golf shot, except at hyper speed. But I'm willing to bet it is a switch that suddenly clicks and the light goes on...
Bottom line: Mind is not changed yet, but two weeks to go...
-
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 21, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
Getty ImagesIt’s far from a given that the Browns have cast their lot with Johnny Manziel for the long term.
But for what it’s worth, Manziel has cast his with coach Mike Pettine and the current cast of characters there.
Manziel said, in the wake of a loss to the Seahawks that dropped them to 3-11, that he hopes the Browns go for continuity this offseason instead of yet another overhaul, as he works under his second offensive coordinator in as many years.
“The [seahawks] have been doing this for awhile at a really high level,” Manziel said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I think this is the best that he’s [Russell Wilson’s] played probably throughout his career, so I don’t know if I can really picture that [kind of stability] moving forward. We’ll see what happens. I don’t think anybody really knows. I want these guys to be here next year.
“I want to have these receivers and the people that we have on this roster on the staff so we can go through the spring and not have to learn what this call is and this play and be able to go through a spring and have some of the continuity like. So it definitely would be a luxury for sure.”
While I’m sure that makes Pettine feel much better, no one knows who will survive the offseason in Cleveland. Last week, when Manziel was speculating about a future with suspended wideout Josh Gordon, Pettine replied: “That would turn out to be a positive thing if Josh is with us next year and Johnny’s on the roster, that those two have built a rapport together.”
That was more a hypothetical than an endorsement or an omen, as no one can know what the future holds there other than Jimmy Haslam, assuming he’s met with his homeless oracle and decided himself.
Of course, the differences between the Seahawks and the Browns go beyond time spent punching the clock together. And another year of Pettine and/or Manziel might not necessarily be moving them in the right direction.
But after changing course so often, it would at least be a direction.
-
Sometimes l feel bad for sports writers. They get reduced to asking players rhetorical questions far too often. Granted, it would be pretty funny if Johnny was all, "yeah, l'd totally like to try a new coach next year. That's be cool. And maybe some better receivers. Shit, some of these guys are shorter than me!"
-
Manziel should have responded "I wouldn't put Pettine in the elite category of coaches"
-
Manziel should have responded "I wouldn't put Pettine in the elite category of coaches"
HAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA
In my opinion Johnny did the best he could do under the conditions...
High tier Seattle defense, dropped passes by wide open receivers, No run game, Loud ass fans, and of course our favorite rookie Cam Erving (who got owned 95% of the time)
-
I'm sure all the players want him back.
They get days off, veterans get even more days off.
There is no accountablity for any mistakes, and to top all that off, Pettine thinks when you lose 34-3 and 30-13, that the effort was great.
Who wouldn't want to work under those conditions?
-
I still don't think he will ever be a team leader. He's a "ME" first guy.
Once the season ends, what's the over/under on a drunk pic showing up on twitter? 3 days?
His skills on the field are average at best. His footwork is TERRIBLE, and his accuracy is lacking. Not too mention, he's still 5'11" with a slight build.
As for the people saying surround him with better players, The good QB's make the players around them better. Does it matter who Brady, Rogers, Brees, Wilson, are throwing too? NO
How often do you see a no name WR play great with a great QB?
How often do you see a highly drafted WR play great with a bad QB?
-
He did not even do that well in garbage time...
I agree with what everyone has said. What worries me is we're going to ruin any chance that Manziel has by not providing him a capable team around him (sound familiar?) Christ, at one time Manziel was throwing the ball to Marlan Moore, Terrell Pryor, Jim Dray, and Travis Benjamin. But offense is just one part of it. What happens when Manziel can play with a solid defense? We got a glimpse of it against Tennessee and San Francisco. When he gets the ball back from a punt or a turnover, he starts to find a rhythm. A rhythm isn't exactly easy to find when your defense doesn't force a damn punt and the QB is sitting on the bench for extended amounts of time.
It's not easy to evaluate a young QB when the team is playing AT perhaps the toughest venue in professional sports, who just happens to have a crazy defense. And by the way, traveling to Kansas City might be the SECOND toughest place to play in the NFL, so he has THAT going for him...which is nice. And the icing on the cake is the Steelers game at home. The same Steelers team that somehow almost put up a 40 burger on the best defense in the league.
It is hard for us to evaluate a QB based upon a one-time, real-time, broadcast view. It is not when you have an All-22 cut-down and 24 hours.
Excepting his feet, JM is showing most of what you want to see in a QB prospect. I can let yesterday's fumble go as a one-off, flash regression since his ball position has been much improved this year. I can't give credit for mastering play-calling late in a sophomore season. There was a lot of frantic clapping going on yesterday... some starting with 5 seconds on the play clock while our Center was still communicating line calls.
I thought the contrast between JM and Wilson was interesting especially when it came to their scrambling. JM just looked "frantic" in comparison. My impression was that this was symptomatic of their relative game speed perceptions, i.e., the game has yet to fully slow down for JM. It still may...
Additionally as I've written elsewhere, JM is not yet anticipating throws. This is the big hurdle to attaining "franchise" status. Displaying anticipation does not require a better defense, a close game or even an improved WR corps... it does not even require completions.
Not sure what triggers "anticipation" unless it's something akin to visualizing a golf shot, except at hyper speed. But I'm willing to bet it is a switch that suddenly clicks and the light goes on...
Bottom line: Mind is not changed yet, but two weeks to go...
He did not even do that well in garbage time...
It is hard for us to evaluate a QB based upon a one-time, real-time, broadcast view. It is not when you have an All-22 cut-down and 24 hours.
Excepting his feet, JM is showing most of what you want to see in a QB prospect. I can let yesterday's fumble go as a one-off, flash regression since his ball position has been much improved this year. I can't give credit for mastering play-calling late in a sophomore season. There was a lot of frantic clapping going on yesterday... some starting with 5 seconds on the play clock while our Center was still communicating line calls.
I thought the contrast between JM and Wilson was interesting especially when it came to their scrambling. JM just looked "frantic" in comparison. My impression was that this was symptomatic of their relative game speed perceptions, i.e., the game has yet to fully slow down for JM. It still may...
Additionally as I've written elsewhere, JM is not yet anticipating throws. This is the big hurdle to attaining "franchise" status. Displaying anticipation does not require a better defense, a close game or even an improved WR corps... it does not even require completions.
Not sure what triggers "anticipation" unless it's something akin to visualizing a golf shot, except at hyper speed. But I'm willing to bet it is a switch that suddenly clicks and the light goes on...
Bottom line: Mind is not changed yet, but two weeks to go...
I agree, I saw improvement, especially on the first drive.
That game was a fair comparison on how far Johnny has to go to get to Russell Wilson's level. He's not close yet- (I did see a few flashes). But dammit, we wasted a year of potential development trotting busted ribs McCown out there until he was so beat up he couldn't play anymore.
It's crap like that, that has me wondering if Pettine is smart enough to be a HC in the NFL. OMG, Bowe actually caught a couple balls yesterday- four more, and we're down to $1 million per catch.
-
OH Ghoolie to never have anything to add to a conversation must be pathetic. You freak out when people forget about you and then attack the best player on the team. there was a name for you we had back in the day..... um.....oh yeah a BITCH. U must know so much about football to bust JT's balls when every other player in the league has voted Thomas the #18 Best Football Player in the game.
-
Johnny is already showing he can win games in the NFL. IF he can avoid major off-field mistakes, he will be a good qb. I hope he stays with the Browns to do that.
-
He hasn't changed my mind yet. Even though his WRs dropped 3 or 4 throws, it looked like the rest of the game was simply dump off throws (after the 1st drive). I don't know what to think about him, I just hope he stays clean in the off season, and the team gets healthier, adds some talent to help whoever the QB is in 2016.
I'd look at the QB from Indiana, Sudfeld and draft him after getting some D help and a tall WR.
This season has turned into such a disaster. The offense is just to easy to defend right now, and the defense can't stop anybody.
-
I'm sure the starting quarterback of a team is going to say he doesn't want the head coach to return......
-
VesnaKociper said:
Larry, have you been injecting Manitol Salt Agar into your veins? You are WONDERING IF PETTINE........???????????? Let me ask you bro, are you also wondering if you will wake up tomorrow and have a third testicle growing out of your taint? Are you wondering if Zombo will ever become a Steeler fan? Maybe you are wondering if Stan and I are ever going to be runway models for Hanes underwear?
Pettine is the Barney Fife of NFL coaches.
Even Lew Merletti wants to throw bottles at that cocksucker.
LOL Tom. If they shit-can Pettine the day after the season is over- believe me I won't get upset. We'll see if Ray the Farmer gets shown the door too. As was said, the Browns are shit because they've pretty much drafted like shit for the last 5 years. Since they took Haden and Ward in 2010, it's been a freaking disaster. We passed on Julio Jones and JJ Watt to take Phil Taylor- who's out of football. EDIT: forgot to mention the double busts Richardson & Wee-done. Next we take Barky Mingo, who's yet to live up to his draft status. 2014, we decide to take Justin Gilbert instead of Odell Beckham, and get our current Pipsqueak QB. I still have faint hope Manziel won't be total crap. I say you can't grade a player after just one year, but it's not like Sheldon and Erving are setting the league on fire. For your enjoyment, you can watch Erving getting knocked flat on his ass. Hey Joe T didn't get beat on that play.

I think some Internet wag put it- "The Browns are a couple of years away from being a couple of years away."
BTW, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to ya.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login