Jonathan Paul Manziel
-
Gipper I agree with most of your points except the lazy part because last year he did commit himself to rehab and even according to the coaches worked extremely hard and made great strides. I think his immaturity and personality flaw allowed him to become angry when he felt all that was ignored.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with bipolar syndrome? We know people who will spend days or weeks or months frenetically working and then revert to another amount of time with no motivation whatsoever.
WSS
Gipper I agree with most of your points except the lazy part because last year he did commit himself to rehab and even according to the coaches worked extremely hard and made great strides. I think his immaturity and personality flaw allowed him to become angry when he felt all that was ignored.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with bipolar syndrome? We know people who will spend days or weeks or months frenetically working and then revert to another amount of time with no motivation whatsoever.
WSS
Well, I get the "lazy" part from the fact that from what I hear, at least early on, he didn't bother to learn the playbook and was totally unprepared....and he preferred to spend his time partying.
Perhaps that improved over this past season. I just know that a lot of commentators, locally and nationally kind of think he is or at least was Lazy.
Bipolar? Wouldn't at all be surprised.
-
His dad trying to get him in rehab from the sounds of it.
Ya, this is some serious shit. Time to break down the "camps" and all hope the best for for him.
Zombo
Don't know JM's agent, but what a crock. Just feels like a $$$ decision. I'd be a better friend at this point.
Zombo said:
Ya, this is some serious shit. Time to break down the "camps" and all hope the best for for him.
Been there since I had an inkling about a growing suicide potential. The whole "winning" post was out of the sadness of that potential parallel. There was zero "humor" intended.
I've driven from Fort Worth to Dallas, it takes almost an hour. Like driving from Cleveland to Akron which is suspicious in the first place.
Steve, driving is a whole different thing in Texas... always has been. Texans think nothing of driving an hour to a restaurant let alone a night out.
-
He also seems addicted to the limelight, to the attention. (HE sought out TMZ, no?)
He feels he is entitled.
I know everyone would say "no big deal", but I find it kinda funny he went out in the public spotlight to a Mavs game right after all the shit seemed to hit the fan (at least in terms of his career and image)
And he hasn't talked to the Browns or any of their new stuff, he has declined comment to local and national media about anything. The first time he does say something to the media - he chooses TMZ. Seems bizarre to me.
---
And I think "lazy" is accurate considering you see a guy who has several on-the-field flaws, yet he spends his off season and off time doing nothing but boozing. Even last year he gets a day off training camp and goes to Texas to a pool party.
And I think "lazy" is accurate considering you see a guy who has several on-the-field flaws, yet he spends his off season and off time doing nothing but boozing. Even last year he gets a day off training camp and goes to Texas to a pool party.
Well, I get the "lazy" part from the fact that from what I hear, at least early on, he didn't bother to learn the playbook and was totally unprepared....and he preferred to spend his time partying.
I know its semantics....but Id lean more toward words like unmotivated, overly confident, entitled and directionless over lazy....
He probably thought he could just show up, be given the job and do what he did in college....he wouldnt be the first....
-
Gipper I agree with most of your points except the lazy part because last year he did commit himself to rehab and even according to the coaches worked extremely hard and made great strides. I think his immaturity and personality flaw allowed him to become angry when he felt all that was ignored.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with bipolar syndrome? We know people who will spend days or weeks or months frenetically working and then revert to another amount of time with no motivation whatsoever.
WSS
Well, I get the "lazy" part from the fact that from what I hear, at least early on, he didn't bother to learn the playbook and was totally unprepared....and he preferred to spend his time partying.
Perhaps that improved over this past season. I just know that a lot of commentators, locally and nationally kind of think he is or at least was Lazy.
Bipolar? Wouldn't at all be surprised.
Well, I get the "lazy" part from the fact that from what I hear, at least early on, he didn't bother to learn the playbook and was totally unprepared....and he preferred to spend his time partying.
Perhaps that improved over this past season. I just know that a lot of commentators, locally and nationally kind of think he is or at least was Lazy.
Bipolar? Wouldn't at all be surprised.
That's true, probably, but then it seems like he busted his ass to prepare himself. So it comes and goes like bipolar.
WSS
-
Don't know JM's agent, but what a crock. Just feels like a $$$ decision. I'd be a better friend at this point.
Zombo said:
Ya, this is some serious shit. Time to break down the "camps" and all hope the best for for him.
Been there since I had an inkling about a growing suicide potential. The whole "winning" post was out of the sadness of that potential parallel. There was zero "humor" intended.
I've driven from Fort Worth to Dallas, it takes almost an hour. Like driving from Cleveland to Akron which is suspicious in the first place.
Steve, driving is a whole different thing in Texas... always has been. Texans think nothing of driving an hour to a restaurant let alone a night out.
-
Don't know JM's agent, but what a crock. Just feels like a $$$ decision. I'd be a better friend at this point.
Zombo said:
Ya, this is some serious shit. Time to break down the "camps" and all hope the best for for him.
Been there since I had an inkling about a growing suicide potential. The whole "winning" post was out of the sadness of that potential parallel. There was zero "humor" intended.
I've driven from Fort Worth to Dallas, it takes almost an hour. Like driving from Cleveland to Akron which is suspicious in the first place.
Steve, driving is a whole different thing in Texas... always has been. Texans think nothing of driving an hour to a restaurant let alone a night out.
I've spent a lot of time in Texas pal.Don't know JM's agent, but what a crock. Just feels like a $$$ decision. I'd be a better friend at this point.
Been there since I had an inkling about a growing suicide potential. The whole "winning" post was out of the sadness of that potential parallel. There was zero "humor" intended.
Steve, driving is a whole different thing in Texas... always has been. Texans think nothing of driving an hour to a restaurant let alone a night out.
I also drive 45 minutes or an hour to go to restaurants or bars. But if I'm drunk and going bar hopping and my ex girlfriend just happens to be an hour away with some other guy and that's where I wind up I don't think it's just a coincidence.
WSS
-
Ps I don't know the agent but I do wonder how much the bottom one had to do with his decision.
WSS
-
Don't know JM's agent, but what a crock. Just feels like a $$$ decision. I'd be a better friend at this point.
Zombo said:
Ya, this is some serious shit. Time to break down the "camps" and all hope the best for for him.
Been there since I had an inkling about a growing suicide potential. The whole "winning" post was out of the sadness of that potential parallel. There was zero "humor" intended.
I've driven from Fort Worth to Dallas, it takes almost an hour. Like driving from Cleveland to Akron which is suspicious in the first place.
Steve, driving is a whole different thing in Texas... always has been. Texans think nothing of driving an hour to a restaurant let alone a night out.
Don't know JM's agent, but what a crock. Just feels like a $$$ decision. I'd be a better friend at this point.
Ps I don't know the agent but I do wonder how much the bottom one had to do with his decision.
WSS
Not to defend the agent, as JM needs all the support he can get.....but, first, it IS a professional relationship and the reality is that JM isnt living upto his end of the deal.....like mentioned above, this extends to the Browns and LeBrons agency too
Also....the agents statement says he's made multiple attempts to help and,basically, JM is not accepting any responsibility or being accountable for himself.....so, as with so many "troubled" people, sometimes you have to draw a line and sever relationships.....
And that can be the thing that often helps people to wake up.....and sometimes not.....
-
ok, can we all just pump the brakes a little on this thing?
i hated the browns drafting him as well BUT i don't hate him personally. so all the shit i've thrown at that wall has been because of the team and what he's done to poison it (and cost coaches and other personnel their jobs IMO) i have a different more cautious view of what is going on with him. and i'll state at the top of this that i know someone although not a professional athlete, who is a mirror image of what is going on in this kid's life.
the kid grew up with money. not like money like you or me will ever see money.........but deep pocket, deep connection political, old-family, oil rich 'DALLAS' type of money. he prob had a dream as a kid to be a hero on the football field AND was good enough to actually fulfill those dreams in HS and college. so, to me it was never about going to school at a and m to learn or to grow but to be 'the big man on campus' and his family knew that and have enabled him to this point financially to try and achieve any dream this kid might want to achieve. well i guess he figured out he isn't built to cut it in the nfl, so be it.
so he rebels and falls back on what he knows and that's going out, having a good time and surrounding himself with people who aren't looking out for him, just looking for him to foot the bill. hence the women. the girlfriend. whoever. now he's got an emotional attachment to people who have NOW basically turned their backs on him. so this revelation to him has prob turned into resentment and anger and he lashes out at those he think have betrayed him....who wouldn't?
i REALLY don't think the kid is that stupid to do something to himself or others that will affect him or them for the rest of his/their lives. dude will party himself out when his dad puts a stranglehold on his finances and realize what he looks like and decide to turn it around. but that's still awhile in the making as long as he's got enablers, haters and con people hanging out with him.
i'm betting he'll open a chain of car dealerships in TX and be selling bmws to cowboy players and their families and make a lot of money and be fine.
-
mik-he gets 7.9 mil $ guaranteed from the Browns minus taxes, agent fees, etc. plus whatever he made off Nike, snickers, etc. His Dad has no power over any of that. And doing something to himself has nothing to do with intelligence, it's whether he is in the middle of an episode of untreated major clinical depression over which he has zero control. And that kind of depression is nothing like most people think of when they use the word. It's it's own animal and it can be devastating to anyone caught in it. I don't know if that is going on or not because I have never interviewed him first hand. But if I did I'd be going through the complete checklist from the diagnostic manual on clinical depression.
Edit PS-of course I'd also be doing alcohol/drug screening to rule out self medicating. Ironically enough alcohol itself is a depressant and adds to any major depression going on. Most people are not aware of that fact.
-
I don't think we should read too far into it without knowing any facts.
Something like 1 in 12 Americans abuse alcohol or are considered alcoholics. Johnny's just 1 in 12 as far as I can tell.
-
Gip did a good job explaining why. "Fatal Attraction" anyone? Hmm, maybe there was a nugget of truth from her Steve. Johnny acting crazed? Put that and the rolled up bill in the restroom together. 1+1= royally coked up?
Is there something in the board software that doesn't like long threads? Why not just keep the other one going?
As explained by Z- no, but he's the Head Moderator, and I agree with him- there was some nasty name-calling going in in the last couple pages.
You're like the rest of us caught in watching the great American Tragedy played out before our eyes in America's Sport. From Friday Night Lights to Saturday night gutter. It is a tragedy regardless of how you feel about the player.
We've been seeing this coming for months Ag. As Mud said, the reason for the fascination is the same reason people slow down to look at car\train wrecks. With his agent dumping him, and dad trying to get him in rehab- and he's walking away, Manziel is now in full train wreck mode.
Zombo said:
Ya, this is some serious shit. Time to break down the "camps" and all hope the best for for him.
Zombo
Exactly Z- you hope for the best for the kid, but it's not looking good right now.
Yep.....it's way past funny or "I told you so" now....and, based upon his recent comments, his denial is in full force..... making it worse, all his people are jumping ship too....LeBron, The Browns, his agent, his girl......
Someone....anyone.....needs to get him help now.....
If LeBron, now his agent dumping him, and his dad trying to get him into rehab hasn't made the light go on- I don't know what will. Johnny per TMZ "I have great things coming ahead". Hello? Earth to Johnny? Is that great thing starring in another remake of North Dallas 40?
Also of note, the Browns probably knew about details between him and girlfriend, parents, etc.
Seemed like they were quick to make a statement that basically said "he's gone" so they could get in front of all of the news before it came out.
A wise move indeed BB. As I've said all along- the Browns knew WAY more than the general public, or even MKC.

all setup by jerrah!! Browns are gonnna cut him, we'll get nothing....Dallas will pick him and retain their 6th. They'll have their Romo backup for nothing.
Jerrah ain't his dad- and his real dad says he needs rehab. If the Cowboys pick him up in his current state, they're even dumber than the Browns for drafting him in the first place.
-
Don't know JM's agent, but what a crock. Just feels like a $$$ decision. I'd be a better friend at this point.
Ps I don't know the agent but I do wonder how much the bottom one had to do with his decision.
WSS
Not to defend the agent, as JM needs all the support he can get.....but, first, it IS a professional relationship and the reality is that JM isnt living upto his end of the deal.....like mentioned above, this extends to the Browns and LeBrons agency too
Also....the agents statement says he's made multiple attempts to help and,basically, JM is not accepting any responsibility or being accountable for himself.....so, as with so many "troubled" people, sometimes you have to draw a line and sever relationships.....
And that can be the thing that often helps people to wake up.....and sometimes not.....
Also....the agents statement says he's made multiple attempts to help and,basically, JM is not accepting any responsibility or being accountable for himself.....so, as with so many "troubled" people, sometimes you have to draw a line and sever relationships.....
And that can be the thing that often helps people to wake up.....and sometimes not.....
I get that... just all the cloaking of the decision in friendship that I reacted to.
I've spent a lot of time in Texas pal.
Just curious... Professionally?
My point was that distance is lower barrier in Texas... a simple matter of scale... and, in the cases of Houston and the DFW metroplex, sprawl.
-
I've only really been to Austin, everything's pretty close and accessible there - it almost seemed like a southern cleaner Cleveland with better roads and nicer people.
-
Just posting for perspective. Kind of interesting.. and they work in reverse order. Go to bottom and read up
-
A handful of starters were busted for drinking. Johnny was unknown QB who ran around like a wild man and kept the season afloat.
0 retweets0 likesReplyRetweetLikeMore -
Random memory: Johnny became a star in Texas HS football as a sophomore b/c the senior starting QB was benched for having a huge party.
6 retweets9 likesReplyRetweet6Like9More - John Turner Retweeted
The question sports media gets to figure out is how much of Manziel's problem is addiction and how much is being a spoiled jerk?
2 retweets6 likesReplyRetweet2Like6More -
Just saw Paul’s statement on his son. Laughable. If Johnny ended up like his mom instead of his dad he’d be everyone’s favorite QB.
7 retweets8 likesReplyRetweet7Like8More -
John Turner Retweeted
Since I’m on the subject, Paul Manziel was the most arrogant guy in Kerrville. https://twitter.com/LukeEasterling/status/695636574671892480 …
John Turner added,
This Tweet is unavailable.2 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet2Like1More -
But now I wish I could run into him at an airport or something, shake his hand and see if I’m always rooting for the bad guy. It’s weird.
0 retweets1 likeReplyRetweetLike1More -
I’ve never reached out to him; I honestly doubt he remembers who I am even though I talked to him a couple times per week from 2008-10.
0 retweets0 likesReplyRetweetLikeMore -
Not sure what all this means. I really liked Johnny the kid and always rooted for him. I hope Johnny the TMZ star can find some inner peace.
4 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet4Like1More -
It’s tough to reconcile that Johnny with the one you know. I still think that kid who loves pancakes and his sister is in there.
1 retweet0 likesReplyRetweet1LikeMore -
Johnny was a perfectionist in practice and out-worked everyone. I never thought deflecting praise was natural for him but he did it anyway.
2 retweets0 likesReplyRetweet2LikeMore -
An amazing athlete with the dash of ego you’d expect but always respectful. I was only 21-22 (looked 14), he was always “yes sir” “no sir.”
2 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet2Like1More -
I covered Johnny’s junior season. One game he scored 8 rushing TDs. Another he scored 4 rushing, 4 passing, 1 receiving. Unreal stuff.
2 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet2Like1More -
Back then I thought Johnny would be an MLB all-star by now. Maybe a PGA Tour guy. He wasn’t even being recruited in football – was too small
3 retweets0 likesReplyRetweet3LikeMore -
I covered Johnny for a year at my first job after college. I was the sports editor in Kerrville, TX, where he was a star at Tivy HS.
2 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet2Like1More -
Here come a bunch of tweets about @JManziel2, who a few of you are aware I knew well before he was Johnny Football.
-
-
mik-he gets 7.9 mil $ guaranteed from the Browns minus taxes, agent fees, etc. plus whatever he made off Nike, snickers, etc. His Dad has no power over any of that. And doing something to himself has nothing to do with intelligence, it's whether he is in the middle of an episode of untreated major clinical depression over which he has zero control. And that kind of depression is nothing like most people think of when they use the word. It's it's own animal and it can be devastating to anyone caught in it. I don't know if that is going on or not because I have never interviewed him first hand. But if I did I'd be going through the complete checklist from the diagnostic manual on clinical depression.
Edit PS-of course I'd also be doing alcohol/drug screening to rule out self medicating. Ironically enough alcohol itself is a depressant and adds to any major depression going on. Most people are not aware of that fact.
mik-he gets 7.9 mil $ guaranteed from the Browns minus taxes, agent fees, etc. plus whatever he made off Nike, snickers, etc. His Dad has no power over any of that. And doing something to himself has nothing to do with intelligence, it's whether he is in the middle of an episode of untreated major clinical depression over which he has zero control. And that kind of depression is nothing like most people think of when they use the word. It's it's own animal and it can be devastating to anyone caught in it. I don't know if that is going on or not because I have never interviewed him first hand. But if I did I'd be going through the complete checklist from the diagnostic manual on clinical depression.
Edit PS-of course I'd also be doing alcohol/drug screening to rule out self medicating. Ironically enough alcohol itself is a depressant and adds to any major depression going on. Most people are not aware of that fact.
You beat me to it Ag in replying to Mik. At least for the present- Johnny has plenty of money to do as he pleases- for now. But we've seen Mike Tyson and a few others blow through millions. Could well be he's depressed because he know he f**ked up his opportunity in the NFL. Yup- you can get mighty depressed if you drink a lot and stew about things. Had an unemployed neighbor who entertained himself drinking beer all day- and finally got so depressed he couldn't find a job- he shot himself.
-
This one is my favorite:
Random memory: Johnny became a star in Texas HS football as a sophomore b/c the senior starting QB was benched for having a huge party.
-
Just posting for perspective. Kind of interesting.. and they work in reverse order. Go to bottom and read up
-
A handful of starters were busted for drinking. Johnny was unknown QB who ran around like a wild man and kept the season afloat.
0 retweets0 likesReplyRetweetLikeMore -
Random memory: Johnny became a star in Texas HS football as a sophomore b/c the senior starting QB was benched for having a huge party.
6 retweets9 likesReplyRetweet6Like9More - John Turner Retweeted
The question sports media gets to figure out is how much of Manziel's problem is addiction and how much is being a spoiled jerk?
2 retweets6 likesReplyRetweet2Like6More -
Just saw Paul’s statement on his son. Laughable. If Johnny ended up like his mom instead of his dad he’d be everyone’s favorite QB.
7 retweets8 likesReplyRetweet7Like8More -
John Turner Retweeted
Since I’m on the subject, Paul Manziel was the most arrogant guy in Kerrville. https://twitter.com/LukeEasterling/status/695636574671892480 …
John Turner added,
This Tweet is unavailable.2 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet2Like1More -
But now I wish I could run into him at an airport or something, shake his hand and see if I’m always rooting for the bad guy. It’s weird.
0 retweets1 likeReplyRetweetLike1More -
I’ve never reached out to him; I honestly doubt he remembers who I am even though I talked to him a couple times per week from 2008-10.
0 retweets0 likesReplyRetweetLikeMore -
Not sure what all this means. I really liked Johnny the kid and always rooted for him. I hope Johnny the TMZ star can find some inner peace.
4 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet4Like1More -
It’s tough to reconcile that Johnny with the one you know. I still think that kid who loves pancakes and his sister is in there.
1 retweet0 likesReplyRetweet1LikeMore -
Johnny was a perfectionist in practice and out-worked everyone. I never thought deflecting praise was natural for him but he did it anyway.
2 retweets0 likesReplyRetweet2LikeMore -
An amazing athlete with the dash of ego you’d expect but always respectful. I was only 21-22 (looked 14), he was always “yes sir” “no sir.”
2 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet2Like1More -
I covered Johnny’s junior season. One game he scored 8 rushing TDs. Another he scored 4 rushing, 4 passing, 1 receiving. Unreal stuff.
2 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet2Like1More -
Back then I thought Johnny would be an MLB all-star by now. Maybe a PGA Tour guy. He wasn’t even being recruited in football – was too small
3 retweets0 likesReplyRetweet3LikeMore -
I covered Johnny for a year at my first job after college. I was the sports editor in Kerrville, TX, where he was a star at Tivy HS.
2 retweets1 likeReplyRetweet2Like1More -
Here come a bunch of tweets about @JManziel2, who a few of you are aware I knew well before he was Johnny Football.
Just posting for perspective. Kind of interesting.. and they work in reverse order. Go to bottom and read up
Hmmm, Mike- maybe Johnny would have been better served going into baseball or golf. John Daly- Micky Mantle, The Babe.

But regarding HS phenoms, almost anyone who's destined for ML stardom is a HS phenom. Guy you probably don't remember- Mike Easler went to my HS, wound up playing for the Yankees, and in HS he'd hit 'em so far, he could walk around the bases for his home runs.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login

John Turner ‏