Jonathan Paul Manziel
-
So if I watch the game tonight what should i look for and expect? Is he different than McCoy was at Texas?
If he can duplicate what Rodgers did on the last play of Sunday's game in Chicago I would be fueling the private jet up for a meet and greet in Texas or wherever Johnny ends up after tonight's game.
-
Need to calm down on Johnny....he lit up Duke. LOL...their defense might be worse than Ohio State's. He won't be able to make those plays/throws in the NFL. We need a real QB, and coach, and Genreal Manager, and O-linemen....etc....etc....
-
But now he made a couple o back shoulder fade throws that it didn't matter if ed reed was guarding the wr that ball was on this EXACT SPOT it needed to be...that's what im seeing. He makes throws in traffic with arms and bodys flyin and under pressure.He makes NFL throws...that's what Im seeing
-
I thought he showed a lot of upswing. Finesse on the short throws, power and accuracy on the more vertical, good decision making, leadership, fiery competitor, excellent vision,
athletic as they come. As pointed out by the commentators he likes to lead with his shoulders before taking a tackle/hit and that need to be addressed with an easy fix. Overall, I was
impressed with his performance. Duke defense certainly not "Monsters of the Midway 2" but ,after all, the team did win 10 games this year.
This guy improved his value last night. 1st rounder?
-
Great comeback last night... Showed me how competitive he is, which was great to see. He was tossing the ball all over the place, and in the midst of that crazy game his line was ... 30 for 38 for 382 and 4 TDs, 0 INTs, plus 11 carries for 73 yds and 1 TD. 455 total yards and 5 TDs... wow!
Sure, you can say it was against Duke but Manziel has been doing this to EVERY team he has played over the past 2 seasons... consistently. That might be what impresses me the most, his consistency.
I think he's a first round pick, right now, but I plan to watch some more of his games on Youtube to nitpick...
-
I was able to watch the second half of the game last night, which, being honest, is the most I've watched Manziel play. He definitely played well, and congrats to him and the whole Texas A&M team on the great comeback. However, when considering the prospect of Manziel as the Browns QB, I'm a little concerned. To be clear, I am not really leaning strongly in either a positive or negative direction. As people have mentioned in this thread, his style of play seemed exciting, impromptu, and chaotic. Personally, for the NFL, I'd like to see something a little more controlled. I think that NFL defenses react and adjust better to the unexpected than do college defenses.
That's not to say that some QBs aren't/haven't been able to make that style of play work in the NFL. I guess I kind of see it like I see big-time college scramblers in general. Some find a significant amount of success in the NFL running around like they did in college. Some find they have a hard time running in the NFL at all. In my eyes, the same kind of goes for quarterbacks who had a great amount of success in college with an "ad hoc" style of play: some can make it work in the NFL, and some can't. I'm not sure which one of those Manziel will be. I am concerned that his size will negatively affect/will hinder that play-style in the NFL. I'm also afraid that such play is just more difficult to pull off in the NFL than it is in college.
I was about to hit "Post", but I'm afraid people will take this a negative post about Manziel's NFL future. I don't mean it to be. I would love nothing more than to see him come to the Browns, run around like a crazy man, and make all sorts of impossible-looking plays. And I don't know that he won't do that. I'm just saying that, at this point, I can't tell whether or not he'll be able to.
-
Obviously, I am a HUGE Manziel Fan (fwiw, I liked Trent too lol). Forget the SIZE thing & take a chance. He is a complete QB....Perfect? No, but also makes plays, remains calm, no "happy feet", tough, a leader always involved in the game. Did any of you see him grab Evans facemask & give him hell? Did you see him telling the D to "TAKE IT" & getting the Fans fired up? This kid has the FIRE & PASSION that is contagious & I say take the chance.
Mike
-
I like his quick release and accuracy. But he isn't big and he gets jittery in the pocket too much.
Also like his leadership.
-
Need to calm down on Johnny....he lit up Duke. LOL...their defense might be worse than Ohio State's. He won't be able to make those plays/throws in the NFL. We need a real QB, and coach, and Genreal Manager, and O-linemen....etc....etc....
Need to calm down on Johnny....he lit up Duke. LOL...their defense might be worse than Ohio State's. He won't be able to make those plays/throws in the NFL. We need a real QB, and coach, and Genreal Manager, and O-linemen....etc....etc....
I believe he also lit up the Alabama defense as well this year and pretty much every other team he played. At some point it's not that the defense sucks as it is that the guy can make plays.
-
A lot of you aren't going to like this and will accuse me of being "anti-Manziel". I'm not at all, but I think this should be said. I've heard at least a few people say something to the effect of "whether or not Manziel turns out to be 'NFL good', at least it will be exciting to watch him." I think that we often only consider things "exciting" when they work, and when they don't we consider them foolish, reckless, or ill-advised.
I never liked Tebow (because I don't like a QB who can't throw), but a lot of people did. When he was starting in Denver, people praised him, and they loved watching Broncos games because he was "exciting". If you take a look at the stats, Tebow wasn't good there, and the offense wasn't very productive. But people praised him anyway and even gave him credit for the fantastic play by their defense. The whole thing seemed "exciting" because it was working (i.e.Denver was winning). After Tebow left Denver, though, no one else was able to make it work. Tebow didn't suddenly drink some "get super-terrible" juice and become a much worse player than he had previously been. It was just that no one was able to find a way to make what he was able to do work anymore, and what was once "exciting" now looked awful.
I can't make this clear enough: I am NOT comparing Tebow as a player to Manziel as a player. What I am saying is that the unorthodox can look "exciting" when it works, but the same exact thing can look foolish when it doesn't.
Let's take Vick as another example. At different points in his career, Vick's style of play has been praised and has been criticized. When he's been able to win or put up flashy numbers, it has been "exciting". When it hasn't panned out, he's suddenly not been "an NFL caliber starting QB."
Take Favre, who everyone likes to remember as fantastic now. Let's not forget the number of interceptions that Favre threw and the criticism he took for it at different points before he ultimately found sustained success and praise. He always played pretty much the same way. When it worked, he was "exciting", when it didn't, he was "reckless" and "made poor decisions".
I'm not comparing Manziel to any of these guys individually. I'm saying that we ought to consider that while we may be happy to say "Well, good or bad, it will be exciting" right now, when it actually IS bad, people rarely continue seeing it as "exciting" and often begin seeing it as "ill-advised" and "reckless."
-
I still don't think Manziel is a top 10 ten pick. On long NFL throws, he throws them like
Colt McCoy.
But after that game...(I thought I was good at halftime picking Duke for an upset for 7 pts...lol)..
he needs to be in the NFL to see just what he can do. He is a classic West Coast offense kid,
with all the intangibles to the max. I have to admit, after that bowl game, I have to start
to agree with Canton Mike about him, but it's more fun to argue about Manziel....@@
-
I can say I changed my mind on Johnny last night. The guy was accurate, I guess I never saw enough of him before (maybe 3 other games, plus highlights). Saying that, I still believe we should stand pat and not trade up to get him...we need all of our picks IMHO.
I still worry about his size, but as others have pointed out, maybe its not a big deal if he's able to get it done.
I do worry he may be a bit "amped up," but hey, he's 21 or so, so I give him a pass there.
-
Johnny has a lot of things going for him, and as long as he stays healthy I think he will find success in the league. My main concern, however, is that he won't be able to stay healthy. He's a tough kid but the NFL is a lot faster and hits a lot harder.
Johnny football at TAMU - "holy shit look at him go!"
Johnny football in the NFL - "Jesus Christ is he still breathing?!"
-
Scouts take on Manziel: He's another Favre
NFL scout says that Texas A&M QB will play hard, but do it his way Jason Cole
After completing his season with Texas A&M, quarterback Johnny Manziel dodged questions about whether he would turn pro early. It has been long assumed that Manziel would declare for the NFL draft.
However, the question of how good Manziel will be in the NFL lingers. One scout recently compared Manziel to retired quarterback Brett Favre, who was a second-round pick and went on to have an extraordinary career.
“He’s Favre,” the scout said. “On Sunday, he’s going to play his (butt) off. The rest of the week, he’s going to do what he wants to do.”
The scout said that was a combination of both great and sometimes bad habits. While Favre was a great player and worked hard at his craft, he also enjoyed having a good time.
“If you tell him not to go drink, he’s not going to listen. He’s going to go drink,” the scout said of Manziel. “If you can tell him not to chase (women). He’s going to chase (women). That’s just who he is and he’s going to do what he wants. I think he’s going to be great, but you’re going to have to deal with him on his terms.”
The same scout predicted before the 2012 draft that Russell Wilson would eventually become an outstanding quarterback.
-
If he's there in the second or third then why not. He's a gamble, as every player is.
He is a playmaker but he's small. I worry about his size. He does have fire.
BUTTTTTTTT....
He's apparently got issues that his old man even called him out for. Sounds like he has drinking problem.
His dad's quotes (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/30/johnny-manziels-dad-worries-it-could-all-come-unraveled/)
“Yeah, it could come unraveled. And when it does, it’s gonna be bad. Real bad,” Paul Manziel said. “It’s one night away from the phone ringing, and he’s in jail. And you know what he’s gonna say? ‘It’s better than all the pressure I’ve been under. This is better than that.’”
Manziel’s dad also said that his son drinks to deal with stress, and has anger issues that cause concern for the family.
“I don’t know where the anger comes from,” Paul said. “I don’t think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if he’s mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that he’s got demons in him. You can only speculate because you can’t go in there.”
-
Nice. so he is a fish.
-
Scouts take on Manziel: He's another Favre
NFL scout says that Texas A&M QB will play hard, but do it his way Jason Cole
After completing his season with Texas A&M, quarterback Johnny Manziel dodged questions about whether he would turn pro early. It has been long assumed that Manziel would declare for the NFL draft.
However, the question of how good Manziel will be in the NFL lingers. One scout recently compared Manziel to retired quarterback Brett Favre, who was a second-round pick and went on to have an extraordinary career.
“He’s Favre,” the scout said. “On Sunday, he’s going to play his (butt) off. The rest of the week, he’s going to do what he wants to do.”
The scout said that was a combination of both great and sometimes bad habits. While Favre was a great player and worked hard at his craft, he also enjoyed having a good time.
“If you tell him not to go drink, he’s not going to listen. He’s going to go drink,” the scout said of Manziel. “If you can tell him not to chase (women). He’s going to chase (women). That’s just who he is and he’s going to do what he wants. I think he’s going to be great, but you’re going to have to deal with him on his terms.”
The same scout predicted before the 2012 draft that Russell Wilson would eventually become an outstanding quarterback.
Scouts take on Manziel: He's another Favre
NFL scout says that Texas A&M QB will play hard, but do it his way Jason Cole
After completing his season with Texas A&M, quarterback Johnny Manziel dodged questions about whether he would turn pro early. It has been long assumed that Manziel would declare for the NFL draft.
However, the question of how good Manziel will be in the NFL lingers. One scout recently compared Manziel to retired quarterback Brett Favre, who was a second-round pick and went on to have an extraordinary career.
“He’s Favre,” the scout said. “On Sunday, he’s going to play his (butt) off. The rest of the week, he’s going to do what he wants to do.”
The scout said that was a combination of both great and sometimes bad habits. While Favre was a great player and worked hard at his craft, he also enjoyed having a good time.
“If you tell him not to go drink, he’s not going to listen. He’s going to go drink,” the scout said of Manziel. “If you can tell him not to chase (women). He’s going to chase (women). That’s just who he is and he’s going to do what he wants. I think he’s going to be great, but you’re going to have to deal with him on his terms.”
The same scout predicted before the 2012 draft that Russell Wilson would eventually become an outstanding quarterback.
Shit, as long as he wins games, I don't care.
-
so Manziel in the Tavern with us when he goes to the sideline? drink....type..... drink .....take a snap
-
Keep in mind that in Favre's first three years in the league, he threw more picks than TDs. Also, the average of his passer ratings from years 2 and 3 (he didn't really get a passer rating his rookie year because he only had 4 pass attempts) was 78.75. That's slightly better than Christian Ponder and a larger margin worse than Jake Locker to this point. Favre took a significant upturn in his 4th year.
There's no certainty that Manziel will struggle early like Favre did, and I'm not suggesting that there is. I just know that when Favre is mentioned, people tend to remember the great parts and conveniently forget the rough parts. If Manziel does end up following a Favre-like trajectory, that's going to mean accepting 3 rather rough years in the beginning before he pans out. Unless the comparison is "He's a lot like Favre when Favre was really good", then that's a pretty promising thing to say.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login