Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • Lets draft another Qb so he can get pounded into the ground and have a short career (Couch).

  • I would be totally against a Manziel draft pick. I think he's a punk who is going to turn into Ryan Leaf in the pros. The dude can't get through an offseason in college without getting in trouble. What's going to happen when a team puts $50 million in his pocket and turns him loose.

    McCarron would be interesting. I'm still more in favor of Boyd from Clemson if we're talking QB's.

  • Peter King reported that on Saturday the assistant GM for the Browns was at Texas A&M scouting Johnny Manziel. Now while he may be good at A&M I don't think Manziel is the only one we should be looking at. His counterpart also played a masterpiece of a game. A.J. McCarron is in a more pro ready system at Alabama. He's shown up in a lot of big games to include a BCS title game. He does not have the Heisman allure that Johnny Football has but; he looks like a winner to me. Thoughts?

    Not seeing Leaf... more of the next Flutie, but with an attitude... or Tarkenton, if you go back that far.

    @marcus said:

    Peter King reported that on Saturday the assistant GM for the Browns was at Texas A&M scouting Johnny Manziel. Now while he may be good at A&M I don't think Manziel is the only one we should be looking at. His counterpart also played a masterpiece of a game. A.J. McCarron is in a more pro ready system at Alabama. He's shown up in a lot of big games to include a BCS title game. He does not have the Heisman allure that Johnny Football has but; he looks like a winner to me. Thoughts?

    Pretty much wrote the same thing in the other "scouting Manziel" thread...

    Plus it's not too early to start scouting the Mathews boys...

  • I want nothing to do with either of those guys with our first pick. My top 3 as of now...

    1.Teddy Twatwater - Louisville

    2. Brett Hundley - UCLA

    3. Tahj Boyd - Clemson

  • Not seeing Leaf... more of the next Flutie, but with an attitude... or Tarkenton, if you go back that far.

    @marcus said:

    Peter King reported that on Saturday the assistant GM for the Browns was at Texas A&M scouting Johnny Manziel. Now while he may be good at A&M I don't think Manziel is the only one we should be looking at. His counterpart also played a masterpiece of a game. A.J. McCarron is in a more pro ready system at Alabama. He's shown up in a lot of big games to include a BCS title game. He does not have the Heisman allure that Johnny Football has but; he looks like a winner to me. Thoughts?

    Pretty much wrote the same thing in the other "scouting Manziel" thread...

    Plus it's not too early to start scouting the Mathews boys...

    @tour2ma said:

    Not seeing Leaf... more of the next Flutie, but with an attitude... or Tarkenton, if you go back that far.

    Pretty much wrote the same thing in the other "scouting Manziel" thread...

    Plus it's not too early to start scouting the Mathews boys...

    Unfamiliar with the Mathews Boys. Could you fill me in? I saw the other thread after I posted this one. My bad. Point is IMO McCarron is the better pick out of the two. More Pro Ready and not a single character issue yet. Taj Boyd is another interesting pick but I'd take Alabama's competition and system as what gives McCarron a slight edge. Not really sold on Bridgewater either. While he may wind up being good. I'd much rather pull someone from a more competitive conference.

  • Agree with you and it's not the first duplicate post ever made here...

    The Mathews boys (there are two at A&M right now) are more branches of the Clay, Sr., Clay Jr. (our Mathews of yesteryear) and Bruce (the HOF great from the Oilers/ Titans) NFL Family tree. They started a graphic in Saturday's broadcast, but had to cut away from it before it showed the full lineage.

    Bruce was perhaps the best O-lineman I have ever seen play due to being all-pro at two (or maybe three???) positions. I think there are both Bruce's kids:

    75 Jake Matthews OL 6-5 305 Sr. 3L Missouri City, Texas (Elkins)

    56 Mike Matthews OL 6-2 285 So. 1L Missouri City, Texas (Elkins)

    Missouri City is SW of Houston. Elkins HS is a perenial powerhouse...

  • Not seeing Leaf... more of the next Flutie, but with an attitude... or Tarkenton, if you go back that far.

    @marcus said:

    Peter King reported that on Saturday the assistant GM for the Browns was at Texas A&M scouting Johnny Manziel. Now while he may be good at A&M I don't think Manziel is the only one we should be looking at. His counterpart also played a masterpiece of a game. A.J. McCarron is in a more pro ready system at Alabama. He's shown up in a lot of big games to include a BCS title game. He does not have the Heisman allure that Johnny Football has but; he looks like a winner to me. Thoughts?

    Pretty much wrote the same thing in the other "scouting Manziel" thread...

    Plus it's not too early to start scouting the Mathews boys...

    @tour2ma said:

    Not seeing Leaf... more of the next Flutie, but with an attitude... or Tarkenton, if you go back that far.

    Pretty much wrote the same thing in the other "scouting Manziel" thread...

    Plus it's not too early to start scouting the Mathews boys...

    I'm comparing Manziel to Leaf because he's already got all the questionable character issues, just like Leaf had at Washington State.

    I think he's a punk with a very questionable attitude. Putting $50 million in his pocket isn't going to help that. He also just looks to be small.

  • Oh those Matthews. I wasn't thinking you were referring to them. Well why not? But one of these QB need to be picked up next season.

  • Gotcha, Mark... Money my be a non-factor though as his family is well off.

  • @ballpeen said:

    You act like Alabama and Texas A&M don't have other players on the field that teams will be scouting all season long.

    They were there specifically for manziel

    @adoug319 said:

    They were there specifically for manziel

    Proof?

  • yeah I know his family is loaded...still didn't stop him from taking money to sign autographs while in college though did it?

  • @ballpeen said:

    You act like Alabama and Texas A&M don't have other players on the field that teams will be scouting all season long.

    They were there specifically for manziel

    @adoug319 said:

    They were there specifically for manziel

    Maybe but they had to have seen what McCarron was doing too.

  • I want nothing to do with either of those guys with our first pick. My top 3 as of now...

    1.Teddy Twatwater - Louisville

    2. Brett Hundley - UCLA

    3. Tahj Boyd - Clemson

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I want nothing to do with either of those guys with our first pick. My top 3 as of now...

    1.Teddy Twatwater - Louisville

    2. Brett Hundley - UCLA

    3. Tahj Boyd - Clemson

    Throw in Marcus Mariota, too. Guy is an athlete and could be huge in the league. He threw for 450 against Tennessee this weekend.

    But maybe I'm a bit biased now because I saw him run train on my beloved UVA in person a week ago.

  • Read this today but heard about it on the SNF pregame show last night.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1775892-johnny-manziel-reportedly-considered-undraftable-by-many-teams?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

    As much as I want Weeden to succeed I don't believe the Front Office is going to stick with him next year. I do believe we will be drafting another QB this year. Drafting someone that our current Front Office wants, not someone who was a holdover from a previous regime.

    The big name QBs that seem to be coming out are;

    Teddy Twatwater

    AJ McCarron

    Tahj Boyd

    Johnny Manziel

    UCLA QB

    Oregon QB

  • The way things look the Browns and Jaguars will be neck and neck for that first pick

  • The way Jacksonville has been going they are definitely going to be drafting a QB in 2014.

  • @ballpeen said:

    You act like Alabama and Texas A&M don't have other players on the field that teams will be scouting all season long.

    They were there specifically for manziel

    @adoug319 said:

    They were there specifically for manziel

    I am sure that was a part of it......McCarron is a darn good QB as well, not to mention about 15 other players on the field. Why wouldn't a team scout that game? I'll bet every team in the league had scouts in the seats or wherever they put scouts.

    So sure, I am sure Johnny was a big part, as he is for every team in the NFL. Prove to me we sent guys there to watch Johnny and didn't go for any other reason.

    Now...we may have a scout or two who we use specifically to scout QB's....again...why wouldn't they be there? You have 2 of the best on the field on the same day.

    Now, if you can tell me we will only follow Johnny all season long, maybe you got something, but my feeling is we will have scouts out all season long going to college football games and practices. Those guys work Tuesday through Saturday. Hit a school or two for practice on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Friday is send in reports and head to your Saturday assignment. Fly home Saturday night or Sunday morning for a couple of days with the family. Tuesday morning, fly out or drive out for a Tuesday afternoon practice at some school along the way to your next Saturday game scouting assignment.

  • @ballpeen said:

    You act like Alabama and Texas A&M don't have other players on the field that teams will be scouting all season long.

    They were there specifically for manziel

    @adoug319 said:

    They were there specifically for manziel

    Then our scouts should be fired then..
  • "I hope they were scouting Alabama- Manzel is a punk."

    Maybe we need punk at QB. The guy plays a different game at a different level than anyone else. The scouts weren't there for McCarron

  • "I hope they were scouting Alabama- Manzel is a punk."

    Maybe we need punk at QB. The guy plays a different game at a different level than anyone else. The scouts weren't there for McCarron

    @cuwoohio said:

    "I hope they were scouting Alabama- Manzel is a punk."

    Maybe we need punk at QB. The guy plays a different game at a different level than anyone else. The scouts weren't there for McCarron

    The only negative to that is that if the guy is a punk in college, where the environment is somewhat controlled. What is going to happen when that same punk gets turned loose in the NFL with $50 million in the bank?

    We've already covered that there are a lot of guys who are big stars in college who can't cut it at the next level. I'm afraid that a guy who is a punk like Manziel is going to flame out quickly because he doesn't have the work ethic or the mentality to be a quarterback in the NFL.