Jonathan Paul Manziel
-
"Thats when Haslam made the decision that they were going to trade up to get Johnny Football"
Hopefully the reporter got this wrong, otherwise Haslam is a liar(shocker!) as he's said multiple times he was hands off and let Farmer do his job. Otherwise this move is Jerry Jones like, and that's scary...
"Thats when Haslam made the decision that they were going to trade up to get Johnny Football"
Hopefully the reporter got this wrong, otherwise Haslam is a liar(shocker!) as he's said multiple times he was hands off and let Farmer do his job. Otherwise this move is Jerry Jones like, and that's scary...
Yeah I read this article earlier....and it's stupid. I'm with you that I hope it didn't go down this way (with Haslam). Getting all giddy over an effing text...
-
I'll go further. This organization, like most every successful organization, functions by way or a rank/grade system. QB coaches report to Shanahan, who reports to Pettine, who reports to Farmer, who reports to Haslem, especially on matters that involve decision making, unless there's a prearranged agreement that some things are open for anyone to discuss at anytime, but even then, you set yourself up for failure when you undermind someone like Farmer, and jump the chain of command whenever you want. Maybe this was how it went down and maybe this was all approved communication, but Farmer is on record stating that the pick did not go like this, that Haslem had no influence on the pick and that he never said go get him.
If your GM decided what went on in the war room is private information, then a lower grade employee leaked what happened, I would be concerned about the standing of that employee going forward. Not everything about draft prep and execution should be made public, especially if it contradicts your GMs prior statements.
-
"Thats when Haslam made the decision that they were going to trade up to get Johnny Football"
Hopefully the reporter got this wrong, otherwise Haslam is a liar(shocker!) as he's said multiple times he was hands off and let Farmer do his job. Otherwise this move is Jerry Jones like, and that's scary...
"Thats when Haslam made the decision that they were going to trade up to get Johnny Football"
Hopefully the reporter got this wrong, otherwise Haslam is a liar(shocker!) as he's said multiple times he was hands off and let Farmer do his job. Otherwise this move is Jerry Jones like, and that's scary...
I'm sure that's highly exaggerated. I think it's obvious Jimmy wanted him, and if that was the case we would have taken him at four. No way he would have let the situation play out like it did if he was the one calling the shots. Just look at the Redskins owner. To be perfectly honest I'm actually surprised Dallas didn't take him.
-
I wonder how many teams he texted that to
I wonder how many teams he texted that to
Good wondering there... Add to it, he who? JM or is his agent?
If true, and this message had anything to do with our decision, it would take my respect for our FO down a notch...
-
@mike-h said:
So, you're going to ban people who have different--but correct--opinions?
This is comical. How angry are you that you were wrong? And don't give me the shit that you're rooting for Manziel to succeed. I'll find the posts later where you openly wished injury on him.
Ban yourself, fossil.
No, he's going to ban people that are assholes.
-
Ladies, I have know Hoorta for 17 years.
As a poster he will have an opinion and battle you.
As a moderator he doesn't care what your opinion is he doesn't want over the top abusive assholes.
He can separate the two.
Just bring it down a notch with the in your face stuff, we're all Browns fans.
I can bait some Steeler trolls into here if you need someone to punch.
Z
-
Not saying its not class. just sayin someone in his position should be obligated to do those types of things. I like the pick of JF because of the draft position they took him at. At #4 it might have been one of the worst draft picks of all time.
And then you have homos sayin all the media did was make him look like a bad guy. Please without the media JF doesnt sniff the first round.
Guess im just getting burnt out on the JF drama already and he may not even play in 2014 (if this was a legit organization)
Why should someone in his position be "obligated" to do those things? Are you saying that someone who has a talent that makes him good money should be required to do certain things? Is it that he's a national idol that should be required to give back? That's like me saying the most skilled lawn care guy in my neighborhood should take time to mow the lawn for all the elderly around use, for free. That's ludacris. Those type of actions are above and beyond the normal expectation for any person, regardless of status, especially in the self centered world most live in.Not saying its not class. just sayin someone in his position should be obligated to do those types of things.
-
@walterwhite said:
If I got banned for showing vocal support for Manziel, then I wouldn't want to be a part of this place anyways.
...and Mike H is right, Hoorta did say something about hoping Manziel got hurt.
I'm not saying you're an asshole for being a staunch supporter of Manziel. Hell, I was onboard when we got him @22 (didn't want to touch him @4). I'm saying you're an asshole because you flame the shit out of other members that have a different opinion than yours. Good natured ribbing is what we are all about, but your antics cross the line.
-
Hoortas attitude towards manziel reminds me of gay self hatred. He has a crush on Johnny and hates himself and Johnny because of his gay crush on him.
-
-
I want to see how johnny football looks in some preseason action before making an evaluation. Sure the preseason isn't all serious but we can still make a partial judgement on things he does. Saying that, I would rather him be taking the 1st team snaps and be getting some good usage in the 3rd and 4th preseason game.
I want to see how johnny football looks in some preseason action before making an evaluation. Sure the preseason isn't all serious but we can still make a partial judgement on things he does. Saying that, I would rather him be taking the 1st team snaps and be getting some good usage in the 3rd and 4th preseason game.
Agree and would expect him to work with (and against) 2nd team. Would expect him to thrive in that circumstance.
-
"Thats when Haslam made the decision that they were going to trade up to get Johnny Football"
Hopefully the reporter got this wrong, otherwise Haslam is a liar(shocker!) as he's said multiple times he was hands off and let Farmer do his job. Otherwise this move is Jerry Jones like, and that's scary...
"Thats when Haslam made the decision that they were going to trade up to get Johnny Football"
Hopefully the reporter got this wrong, otherwise Haslam is a liar(shocker!) as he's said multiple times he was hands off and let Farmer do his job. Otherwise this move is Jerry Jones like, and that's scary...
I'm seeing this brought up a few times in this thread.
There's more to the story.
Browns were trying to trade up with a few Teams from #26 and the deals were falling through from what I've read.
Taking this and Haslam's comments, and to me it's essentially like saying "If we're going to get this guy we better go do it".
They were afraid Dallas was going to grab him, and they were pretty sure KC would taken them if Dallas didn't.
Comments are Manziel was the #1 QB on the Browns board, "and then there was everyone else" as it's been reported.
-
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10940453&src=desktop
Johnny asking the browns to get him so he can wreck shop. I sure hope the attitude pays off like it did in college...
-
@mike-h said:
Ray Farmer told Haslam in December that Manziel was a franchise QB. I'm sure He had no say in the decision.
And if you read the entire story, or listen to the audio, Loggains said Manziel was on top of all the other QBs.
So, yeah, you were still wrong.
And I'm sure the guys who just turned the Browns into contenders give a shit about your admiration.
Temper, temper lil' guy...
I find the story of the text message to be implausible... my comment was "were it true".
The rightness or wrongness of the decision to draft Manziel is yet to be determined. It's your arrogance that requires to believe otherwise.
Being a simple fan, I can't argue with your last statement. Now if I had the sway of your platform... LOL...
-
This is turning into DA/BQ all over again.
I like Brian Hoyer. I think his story is great, I like his attitude and I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
I like Johnny Manziel. I think he has rare talent, he is a game changing QB and I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
I like Tyler Thigpen. He's from my alma mater, I think he has NFL level talent, and I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
I like Connor Shaw. I think he has all the intangibles you look for in an NFL quarterback, he's a winner, and I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
I'd love to have the problem of having two (or more) great quarterbacks on the team.
In my opinion, they're all cut from the same mold. They're dink and dunk passers with decent to above average mobility, a winning pedigree, and a competitive attitude. They are all prototypical quarterbacks for Shanahan's system.
Who the fuck cares who starts? Just win with one of them. That's all that matters.
-
This is turning into DA/BQ all over again.
I like Brian Hoyer. I think his story is great, I like his attitude and I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
I like Johnny Manziel. I think he has rare talent, he is a game changing QB and I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
I like Tyler Thigpen. He's from my alma mater, I think he has NFL level talent, and I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
I like Connor Shaw. I think he has all the intangibles you look for in an NFL quarterback, he's a winner, and I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
I'd love to have the problem of having two (or more) great quarterbacks on the team.
In my opinion, they're all cut from the same mold. They're dink and dunk passers with decent to above average mobility, a winning pedigree, and a competitive attitude. They are all prototypical quarterbacks for Shanahan's system.
Who the fuck cares who starts? Just win with one of them. That's all that matters.
Who the fuck cares who starts? Just win with one of them. That's all that matters.
Another great post that I am sure Mike H will say he would have made, if he had the time, etc., etc.
-
"Thats when Haslam made the decision that they were going to trade up to get Johnny Football"
Hopefully the reporter got this wrong, otherwise Haslam is a liar(shocker!) as he's said multiple times he was hands off and let Farmer do his job. Otherwise this move is Jerry Jones like, and that's scary...
"Thats when Haslam made the decision that they were going to trade up to get Johnny Football"
Hopefully the reporter got this wrong, otherwise Haslam is a liar(shocker!) as he's said multiple times he was hands off and let Farmer do his job. Otherwise this move is Jerry Jones like, and that's scary...
I heard the audio of the interview and it's exactly what Dowell said, the reporter did not get it wrong. Looks like we are witnessing the evolution of our own little Jerry Jones.
-
The ESPN version :
Cleveland quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains said a text he received from Johnny Manziel on the opening night of the NFL draft last Thursday helped get the ball rolling toward the Browns picking the former Texas A&M star quarterback.
During a radio interview on "SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly" on ESPN Arkansas 96.3, Loggains said that as Manziel slid down the draft board, he sent him a text that read: "I wish you guys would come get me. Hurry up and draft me because I want to wreck this league together."
Added Loggains: "When I got that text, I forwarded it to the owner (Jimmy Haslam) and to the head coach (Mike Pettine). I'm like, 'This guy wants to be here. He wants to be part of it.' As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said, 'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy.'"
The Browns eventually traded up from No. 26 to No. 22, sending the Philadelphia Eagles a third-round pick as well to select the former Heisman Trophy winner.
Loggains said the Browns actually tried to move up to No. 11 with the Titans and No. 16 with the Cowboys in the draft.
"Mr. Haslam and Coach Pettine had called me down to the draft room a couple of times throughout the night, and we had almost made trades with Tennessee and Dallas and backed out,'' he said in the radio interview. " ... We were sitting there, and Coach Pettine keeps texting me, and we're going back and forth and we're going, 'Hey does Dallas take him here? No they won't. Does St. Louis take him at 13?' We knew we had to get in front of the Chiefs (at No. 23) because we knew they would draft him.''
Loggains also said in the interview that Haslam was very high on Manziel, who was the top quarterback on the team's draft board.
"It was Manziel and then everybody else," Loggains said.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
