Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • This whole Johnny thing just might turn my Sunday Ticket money into beer money... hmmmmm...

    @tour2ma said:

    This whole Johnny thing just might turn my Sunday Ticket money into beer money... hmmmmm...

    well at least there's that.............WINNING!

    @texasag1969 said:

    I sent fox a message saying you were there Mik. They replied, "Well we'll just X that fucker out". 😛

    i literally almost fell off my chair reading this. fuggin hilarious!

    @pats_fan93 said:

    You're damn right more people will. I don't know a single Cleveland Browns fan in person and never have, but I know more people who are interested in this game than any other this weekend (Minus Pats/Dolphins of course...)

    i lived in the boston area in the late 80s. believe me, you'd remember me.

    went to the original garden to see a bruin's game with comp seats behind the bench, weeks later going out to bars people recognized me from the telecast.

    yeah i'm that good mfers.

  • @the-gipper said:

    We deal with this regular with Pittsburgh fans. But, once Tom Brady retires the arrogance will go out of them...and they will be the irrelevent team that they were for the first 40 years of their existance. (though their 40 years wasn't as bad as the Steelers first 40 years)

    I don't think its Tom Brady that gives New England fans this arrogance- even for all the years the Red Sox and Patriots weren't great, New England fans are typically arrogant jackasses who can only respond to disagreement by insisting that they are right. Also I don't think the Pats will necessarily be a bad team again just because Brady retires. If they let Jimmy G. learn behind Brady for a few years I could see him being a decent franchise quarterback. He is a FAR better backup skill-set wise than Mallet and Hoyer ever were (though you guys know all too well about the latter)

    @pats_fan93 said:

    I don't think its Tom Brady that gives New England fans this arrogance- even for all the years the Red Sox and Patriots weren't great, New England fans are typically arrogant jackasses who can only respond to disagreement by insisting that they are right.

    Nothing new to me, I am a lawyer after all.

    Also I don't think the Pats will necessarily be a bad team again just because Brady retires. If they let Jimmy G. learn behind Brady for a few years I could see him being a decent franchise quarterback. He is a FAR better backup skill-set wise than Mallet and Hoyer ever were (though you guys know all too well about the latter)

    Oh, now you really sound like a freeking Steeler fan: "We are great because we are great and nothing will ever turn us from the path of greatness."

    FYI, I think only twice in the history of the NFL did a team lose a HOF caliber QB and follow it up with another HOF caliber QB.

    Joe Montana followed by Steve Young

    Brett Favre followed by Aaron Rodgers.

    and maybe include Bob Waterfield followed by Norm Van Brocklin.

    (and in the near future probably Peyton followed by Luck)

    Jimmy Garropolo might be your Mark Malone (who had to follow up both Terry Bradshaw and Dan Fouts) or your Brian (not Bob) Griese or your Jay Fiedler or your Quincy Carter...or your Tommy O'Connell

  • @pats_fan93 said:

    I know a guy from Texas who is a Dallas Cowboys/NY Yankees fan... I think alot of people like that are simply bandwagon fans who followed the Yankees for years simply because they were consistently a good ball team.

    We know a guy from Akron, Ohio who claims to be a Cowboys/Yankees fan. His name is LeBron James.

    Years ago I invented a term that you will see here on occasion: FRAK, simply FrontRunnerAssKisser. Guys that jump on the bandwagon of teams that win instead of really being loyal to you home town team.

    To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace: Fuck FRAKS.

    @the-gipper said:

    We know a guy from Akron, Ohio who claims to be a Cowboys/Yankees fan. His name is LeBron James.

    Years ago I invented a term that you will see here on occasion: FRAK, simply FrontRunnerAssKisser. Guys that jump on the bandwagon of teams that win instead of really being loyal to you home town team.

    To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace: Fuck FRAKS.

    FRAK. Best thing I have heard today. I love it.

  • @pats_fan93 said:

    I don't think its Tom Brady that gives New England fans this arrogance- even for all the years the Red Sox and Patriots weren't great, New England fans are typically arrogant jackasses who can only respond to disagreement by insisting that they are right.

    Nothing new to me, I am a lawyer after all.

    Also I don't think the Pats will necessarily be a bad team again just because Brady retires. If they let Jimmy G. learn behind Brady for a few years I could see him being a decent franchise quarterback. He is a FAR better backup skill-set wise than Mallet and Hoyer ever were (though you guys know all too well about the latter)

    Oh, now you really sound like a freeking Steeler fan: "We are great because we are great and nothing will ever turn us from the path of greatness."

    FYI, I think only twice in the history of the NFL did a team lose a HOF caliber QB and follow it up with another HOF caliber QB.

    Joe Montana followed by Steve Young

    Brett Favre followed by Aaron Rodgers.

    and maybe include Bob Waterfield followed by Norm Van Brocklin.

    (and in the near future probably Peyton followed by Luck)

    Jimmy Garropolo might be your Mark Malone (who had to follow up both Terry Bradshaw and Dan Fouts) or your Brian (not Bob) Griese or your Jay Fiedler or your Quincy Carter...or your Tommy O'Connell

    @the-gipper said:

    @pats_fan93 said:

    I don't think its Tom Brady that gives New England fans this arrogance- even for all the years the Red Sox and Patriots weren't great, New England fans are typically arrogant jackasses who can only respond to disagreement by insisting that they are right.

    Nothing new to me, I am a lawyer after all.

    Also I don't think the Pats will necessarily be a bad team again just because Brady retires. If they let Jimmy G. learn behind Brady for a few years I could see him being a decent franchise quarterback. He is a FAR better backup skill-set wise than Mallet and Hoyer ever were (though you guys know all too well about the latter)

    Oh, now you really sound like a freeking Steeler fan: "We are great because we are great and nothing will ever turn us from the path of greatness."

    FYI, I think only twice in the history of the NFL did a team lose a HOF caliber QB and follow it up with another HOF caliber QB.

    Joe Montana followed by Steve Young

    Brett Favre followed by Aaron Rodgers.

    and maybe include Bob Waterfield followed by Norm Van Brocklin.

    (and in the near future probably Peyton followed by Luck)

    Jimmy Garropolo might be your Mark Malone (who had to follow up both Terry Bradshaw and Dan Fouts) or your Brian (not Bob) Griese or your Jay Fiedler or your Quincy Carter...or your Tommy O'Connell

    I never said Jimmy G. would be a HoF QB, nor did I say that we would be a championship team. I said I think he has the talent to be a "decent franchise quarterback". Also do I think we will still be contenders? As long as we have Bill Belichick, yes we will be. We may not win the AFC east every year after Brady leaves but yes we will still be in the running because Belichick knows how to assemble a good squad of guys year after year.

  • Texas is a cute place with a fascinating lack of self-awareness.

    They fetishize their military history ["Don't Mess With Texas"] yet the actual historical record shows that Texas conclusively lost every engagement they were in.

    The "free" state of Texas was bailed out by the US Federal Government - each and every time.

  • Is this for real? Wow! But I still live near Tampa and our game is on at the same time the Bucs are on. PHOOEY! Bucs are 2-11 against Derek Anderson. I will read a book and watch the Browns on NFL REWIND

    @opal312 said:

    Is this for real? Wow! But I still live near Tampa and our game is on at the same time the Bucs are on. PHOOEY! Bucs are 2-11 against Derek Anderson. I will read a book and watch the Browns on NFL REWIND

    well you can always go to the bar, not go in (because you have no fake ID), find upperlip and make out in your backseat. nothing a cop loves than pulling up to a car and seeing two 15 year old lesbians making out.

    @mld-woody said:

    And still... Fuck Ft Wayne

    maybe it they called it fort fucking john wayne it wouldn't be so fucking lame.

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... Is it me or have you gotten a lot funnier lately?

    rolls is fucking hilarious. he had me rolling in the tavern a couple sundays ago. should be a writer. i know a couple of shows that could use some help.

  • Texas is a cute place with a fascinating lack of self-awareness.

    They fetishize their military history ["Don't Mess With Texas"] yet the actual historical record shows that Texas conclusively lost every engagement they were in.

    The "free" state of Texas was bailed out by the US Federal Government - each and every time.

    @unsympathetic said:

    They fetishize their military history ["Don't Mess With Texas"] yet the actual historical record shows that Texas conclusively lost every engagement they were in.

    "Don't Mess... " was a classic anti-litter, ad campaign...

  • "They fetishize their military history ["Don't Mess With Texas"] yet the actual historical record shows that Texas conclusively lost every engagement they were in."

    Finally someone else who agrees with me. Didn't they get their ass handed to them by the Mexicans time after time? Yet they still let their bull horns and homo-erotic vibes run rampant while they think they're so much cooler than the rest of the continental U.S.... sheesh.

  • Whatever happened to the whole Texas secession thing....werent they gonna leave and be their own country or something?.....

    If that had happened, we'd have the first foreign QB, right?

  • @tour2ma said:

    And the camera angle and the fact that Hoyer is further away from the camera creates the illusion that their heights are close.

    perspective illusion.

    61vc_Tc_VFz3_L.jpg

    @miktoxic said:

    perspective illusion.

    61vc_Tc_VFz3_L.jpg

    BOC....Tyranny is one of my favorite albums too.....believe it or not, I just saw these guys last month at the Northfield Rocksino.....flash back indeed!

  • @everlastingxxx said:

    He was walking (wobbling) in the parking lot. My little boy spotted him. We play a game where you get points for spotting items of interest. A midget is worth 10 points.

    God I love Wal-Mart. The other day I went into the mens room to find the ENTIRE bathroom coated in baby powder. Every stall, urinal, walls, toilets, ceiling, looked like hell. So I went out and informed what appeared to be a 4'7" 300 pound woman of the situation and her response? "Ok." No ff#&$^'s given.

  • @everlastingxxx said:

    A question to those that have seen the build up to the other 20 quarterbacks. Does this feel any different? Is there any clue that you can sense that gives you slightly more hope?

    Tim Couch had even more hype, because it was the rebirth of the franchise and all that. The Pro Couch v Anti Couch debates were something to behold. I was the founder of "Camp Couch" for all of those who had faith in our boy Tim the whole way through, and Atenears (the guy who owns this site) was the leader of "The Darkside", the guys that gagged at the couch hype and never bought into him.

    Ty Detmer was a placeholder. Held that place for one awful, awful game.

    Spergon Wynn was a brilliant pick, took him in the 6th round in 2000 draft to be Couch's backup (or perhaps, competition). The next QB taken that round was some kid named Brady. Wynn was over his head and had no hype.

    Doug Pederson was an injury replacement ... and not a good one.

    Kelly Holcomb got some people excited. He was Manning's backup (like Hoyer to Brady) and when he got a chance at the end of 2002 season, he excelled. Helped us to beat Atlanta to get into the the playoffs, and then torched the Steelers in the playoffs for over 400 yards passing, a gme we had won until Dennis Northcutt dropped a perfectly thrown ball from Holcomb. Another heartbreaker. The next year, Holcomb was named the starter over Couch, a heated competition among fans and on the field, had his own BBQ sauce and was getting some love ... and then he was really flat when he opened the season with the job ... much more like Bad Hoyer than good Hoyer.

    The next year Jeff Garcia was brought in and the fanbase took an immediate dislike to him. He just didn't seem like a good fit, and he wasn't. But he married a local Playboy centerfold while he was here, so good for him.

    That same year we had drafted Luke McCown in the fourth round, so with the season lost, we started him for four games after Butch Davis bailed. With Terry Robiskie as coach and McCown as QB we went0-4 and any enthusiasm for McCown dwindled with each appearance, I think we finally went back to Holcomb for a win at the end of the season. Ugly.

    The next year we cleaned house, new coach, New QBs. We signed Trent Difer to be the starter and picked "Local Boy" Charlie Frye in the third round to groom for the future. The fanbase hated the Dilfer selection because of his days with the ravens, and because of the fact that he sucked. He lasted 11 games before Frye came in for the last five. Frye was very mediocre, which was starting to look good for us. Guys started dressing up as "Fryes Guys" with french fry costumes on ... it was as gay as it sounds.

    Frye's full season as a starter was a disaster, one of those years where our defense seemed promising but the offense kept sending them back onto the field. Frye thankfully got injured, and we saw a little bit of Derek Anderson at the end of the year, he at least had an arm, but he was tripping over his own feet.

    So then came the glorious 2007 season: We traded a first and a second with Dallas to move up and take "Local Boy" and matinee idol, Brady Quinn. There was much hype about Quinn, maybe more than Manziel (it just dissipates a little with each disappointment), but he held out which meant the starting job was going to go to either Frye or Anderson. I had coined a term for that two-headed monster called "Oafwigger", because Frye was criticized as a "wigger" and Anderson looked like a big oaf in clown shoes his rookie year.

    Romeo Crennel infamously decided to "flip a coin" to determine the starter between the oaf and the wigger, and the wigger won, and he went out and promptly shit his his pants in front of 72,000 on opening day versus the Steelers. They traded Frye by Tuesday and Anderson was named starter as Quinn was still not deemed ready.

    Well, Anderson goes out throws for 5 TDs and puts up 51 points to beat the Bungles (The bar is high, Johnny) in his first game as starter and the legend of Derek "Horseballs" Anderson is born. Not much hype with Anderson, except for one relentless guy, but there was hope. He had a Pro Bowl season and we went 10-6, but he noticibely tapered off and made mistakes down the stretch which some some saw as a warning sign ... and they were right.

    The next year, 2008, everything blew up. On the field, and on the board. Anderson struggled big time and the "Quinn Fags" as they were now called were impatient, to say the least. It was much worse than Johnny, you couldn't start a conversation without it turning to "Brady, Brady, Brady" ... Quinn eventually got his chance and he was, if anything, worse than Anderson. "Stillborn" is how I describe it. He lost his job back to Anderson, then Anderson got hurt, Brady back in, he go hurt, Ken Dorsey (umm ... no buildup) got in, he got hurt, Bruce Gradkowski grabbed off the street (no buildup) .. poor bastard had no chance and now he's a stiller.

    The Quinn Fags tried to revolt because we wouldn't get rid of the one Anderson fan, so instead we got rid of all the Quinn Fags. The next year, both Quinn and Anderson were awful and Romeo got fired, the GM got fired, time to start all over...

    So in 2010 we were going to "return to the basics" with Eric Mangini. We brought in veteran Jake Del Homme to man the ship, Seneca Wallace to back him up, and took a flyer on another college hero, this time it was tiny Texan Colt McCoy in the third round. He was just going to sit and learn though, with two veterans ahead of him ... right. Del Hommo sucks, gets injured. Wallace sucks, gets injured. By week 6, Colt McCoy is the starter. He has a lot of "moxie" and is very likeable, so we all latch onto him and hope for the best.

    Colt was thrown to the wolves too early and was overwhelmed. He got the entire season to start in 2011, but left after a concussion in week 13. I think he only had one 300 yard game, but most weeks he never got 200. He just wasn't a big-time passer in a league of big-time passers.

    The next year Brandon Weeden, "The Oldest Rookie of Them All" is drafted, and the mood was hopeful, but guarded. Very guarded. We felt like we reached and we did. Once he and Colt got injured, then we had the Thaddeus Lewis era for one game. We lost, he didn't come back.

    So last year, we all hate Weeden already, they sign veteran Jason Campbell to back him up and grabbed "Local Boy" Brian Hoyer as third string insurance. Weeden blows, Hoyer leapfrogs Campbell and jumpstarts a dormant offense, the city finally has a QB to be excited about ... and he blows out his knee. We go 1-12 in games started by Weeds and Campy and video's like "Angry Browns Fans Christmas" start to appear.

    That brings us to you, and your boy.

    Excited? Yes. Hopeful? Yes. But by now the attitude is more of a "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, PLEASE LET HIM BE THE ONE!"

    No Pressure.

    Zombo

  • Just,wow!

  • Oafwigger, lol. I forgot about that.

  • Whatever happened to the whole Texas secession thing....werent they gonna leave and be their own country or something?.....

    If that had happened, we'd have the first foreign QB, right?

    Browns Board HOF worthy summary there Z...

    Maybe we need a "history" section?

    @mudfly said:

    Whatever happened to the whole Texas secession thing....werent they gonna leave and be their own country or something?.....

    If that had happened, we'd have the first foreign QB, right?

    lol... well Perry won re-election as "Gubner" and had to tone it down for the Prez Priamries... Especially since he was dead wrong about Texas having a special right to secede granted when it originally joined the union.

    The terms of Annexation that supposedly allows Texas to cease being the state we now know, required it to be broken into five regions that could individually apply for statehood... not a desirable demotion for the "Gubner".

    But even if the Annexation term was still held up as valid, it's clearly trumped now by a little thing called The Constitution which prohibits existing states splitting into smaller states. Perry's never read past the 2nd Amendment.

    And FYI... Perry is much smarter now... wears glasses and everything.

    http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texas.asp

  • Fuck. Just realised this game is going to be televised over here. Why so mad? Because the service that has the rights to it (Sky), I don't have. The service that I have (gamepass) shows every game that isn't on the other service. Fuck.

  • How about the war between Ohio and Michigan?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

  • its going to be great when johnny wins us the game.

  • Fucking Ft Wayne

    @mld-woody said:

    Fucking Ft Wayne

    Road trip to Toledo. There's a nice Sports Bar in Sylvania.

    @jrb12711 said:

    And here I am in North Carolina stuck with the barn-burner of Carolina vs Tampa Bay. I get it but damn. At least I get to see them live next week!

    In a word Directv Sunday Ticket.

    @everlastingxxx said:

    A question to those that have seen the build up to the other 20 quarterbacks. Does this feel any different? Is there any clue that you can sense that gives you slightly more hope?

    Zombo said it 10X better than I ever could. Very guarded optimism- I was in Camp Couch from the beginning, in fact I think I started it.

    So E, I think you can see now why most of the oldsters here are taking a "wait and see" attitude about Johnny- we've seen far, far too may flops- by any method you can dream up- to get our hopes up yet. It's not like the Browns haven't TRIED to find a great qb since 1999.

    going back even farther- we've had Kosar and Sipe- and even I'm not old enough to remember Otto Graham playing. BTW, "Automatic Otto's" feat gets lost in the distant mists of time. He played in what would now be considered the Super Bowl 10 straight years (every year he played professional football), and won 8 of them. JFF duplicates that feat, ESPN will declare him able to walk on water.

  • @mld-woody said:

    And still... Fuck Ft Wayne

    So, why the Ft. Wayne hate?

    @the-gipper said:

    So, why the Ft. Wayne hate?

    Gip, having lived in Fort Wayne for the last 22 years I will shed some light on MLD's concern. Obviously living in Colt country each week we're fed Colt games. Being 107 miles from Indy it's out of black out range. So there's your AFC game.

    You can drive to Detroit , Chicago, Cincinnati, or Cleveland in approximately 3.5 hours. We are fed a steady diet of Lions and Bears games or even Packers games . Rarely we get to see the Browns around here. If you noticed the national broadcast map this week you will see that once again we get the fucking Packers game in the Fort and parts of Ohio to include Paulding. Fort Wayne reminds me of the Island for Misfit Toys. There is also a large amount of front running Steeler assholes around here but rarely do you actually find one from Pittsburg or even Pennsylvania of course. I have met only one Lions fan in over twenty years here. Bears fans are represented moderately as are Browns fans. I wear my Browns gear proudly when I go to the bars to watch games on Sunday and have noticed more and more "coming out" . It's like an A A meeting. "Hi, my name is Bob I'm a Browns fan" .