Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • I have an IMAC. I just copy the url, paste in the box and hit post.

  • @Jeff

    Fearless in terms of 'not seeming to be scared of being hit'.

    Aside from size and skills, which are similar...(You Tube post attempt).

    ---I'm still trying to figure out how to use the posting options. I've tried to post the YouTube vid of "Mark Sanchez flinched" and can't even paste the URL. If you go to YouTube and search "Mark Sanchez flinched" you will see what I mean.

    @remarker said:

    @Jeff

    Fearless in terms of 'not seeming to be scared of being hit'.

    Aside from size and skills, which are similar...(You Tube post attempt).

    ---I'm still trying to figure out how to use the posting options. I've tried to post the YouTube vid of "Mark Sanchez flinched" and can't even paste the URL. If you go to YouTube and search "Mark Sanchez flinched" you will see what I mean.

  • Thx Die Hard. My puter isn't a MAC and I also have a glitch that prevents me from editing my profile. I've reported it. I'll just keep going with what I get. Hopefully over time things will get 'normal'.

  • Well we better not line Johney up at wide out.....lol

  • @walterwhite said:

    After the combine, private work outs, and pro day, Manziel will go 1st overall to The Texans.

    They are openly driving the bus, and were all in the back.

    Unless you want to believe they are in the market to trade the pick. Not getting an RGIII haul this year, and certainly not from the Browns.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    An example of Manziel getting pressured and having to play in bad weather (Cleveland has that in spades).

    Yep he got pressured quite a bit, alot of missed assignments from the o-line.

    Weather didn't look to bad, might of been a little cold.

    what was your critique of Manziel

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Yep he got pressured quite a bit, alot of missed assignments from the o-line.

    Weather didn't look to bad, might of been a little cold.

    what was your critique of Manziel

    The announcers regularly said through the game that the QBs were having issues in that weather. Two SEC QBs having issues due to what looked like just some rain. How will he hack it in Cleveland in weather much worse than that?

    Secondly, did he see how often he took off and lobbed passes up for grabs to Evans? SEC defenses had a down year and LSU made Manziel just look like a pretty pedestrian QB.

    I will say again, that he very well could end up being a pretty good NFL QB. I just don't get the love heaped on the guy. He has the highest potential for boom or bust amongst the group of QBs.

  • @walterwhite said:

    After the combine, private work outs, and pro day, Manziel will go 1st overall to The Texans.

    They are openly driving the bus, and were all in the back.

    Bill O'Brien is not likely going to take a QB like Manziel. But he will certainly let all the other teams who want Manziel to believe that. Hoping someone bites and sends picks their way.

  • @hoorta said:

    🙂 Maybe the truth is somewhere between that and the other scouting report bashing him as a third round developmental prospect. I'm sure you realize a bunch of respected scouts think he also has a tremendous downside. And really TC, skipping the attitude and just looking at the on field stuff, I can't see this guy as a top 5, much less #1 overall as Kiper has him. We're all entitled to our opinion(s).

    I feel a lot more confident with Farmer calling the shots than Lombardi. Have this gut feeling the odds of us drafting Johnny Football dropped considerably. I won't burn my season tickets if we do draft him, just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

    The problem with the scouting report I just posted...

    It was Ben Roethlisberger's from 2004.

    I agree, he has downside. Then again, so does everyone. Literally anyone and everyone can bust. But you miss 100% of the shots you never take.

    His floor is just as low as Bortles' or Bridgewater's or any other prospect, but I believe his ceiling to be the the highest.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The problem with the scouting report I just posted...

    It was Ben Roethlisberger's from 2004.

    I agree, he has downside. Then again, so does everyone. Literally anyone and everyone can bust. But you miss 100% of the shots you never take.

    His floor is just as low as Bortles' or Bridgewater's or any other prospect, but I believe his ceiling to be the the highest.

    Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The problem with the scouting report I just posted...

    It was Ben Roethlisberger's from 2004.

    I agree, he has downside. Then again, so does everyone. Literally anyone and everyone can bust. But you miss 100% of the shots you never take.

    His floor is just as low as Bortles' or Bridgewater's or any other prospect, but I believe his ceiling to be the the highest.

    Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.

    @hoorta said:

    Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.

    @hoorta said:

    Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.

    You're buying into the common misconception that, because Manziel isn't 6'5, he has less-than-average arm strength, which is untrue.

    Once again, you're basing your comparison purely based off of size alone. He's not as big as Ben, therefore he's not as good. That is the problem I have.

    Pros- His arm strength is above average (contrary to your belief), his mobility is above average, he makes ridiculous plays, he's proven to be an on-field leader, and he played in a big-time conference against big-time defenses and posted great numbers against said defenses.

    Cons- He's smaller than ideal, he's proven to be immature off the field, he can make questionable decisions, his footwork can be improved, and he was bailed out by Evans on more than one occasion.

    From a scouting standpoint, that's what needs to be considered. That's it.

  • @hoorta said:

    Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.

    @hoorta said:

    Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.

    You're buying into the common misconception that, because Manziel isn't 6'5, he has less-than-average arm strength, which is untrue.

    Once again, you're basing your comparison purely based off of size alone. He's not as big as Ben, therefore he's not as good. That is the problem I have.

    Pros- His arm strength is above average (contrary to your belief), his mobility is above average, he makes ridiculous plays, he's proven to be an on-field leader, and he played in a big-time conference against big-time defenses and posted great numbers against said defenses.

    Cons- He's smaller than ideal, he's proven to be immature off the field, he can make questionable decisions, his footwork can be improved, and he was bailed out by Evans on more than one occasion.

    From a scouting standpoint, that's what needs to be considered. That's it.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You're buying into the common misconception that, because Manziel isn't 6'5, he has less-than-average arm strength, which is untrue.

    Once again, you're basing your comparison purely based off of size alone. He's not as big as Ben, therefore he's not as good. That is the problem I have.

    Pros- His arm strength is above average (contrary to your belief), his mobility is above average, he makes ridiculous plays, he's proven to be an on-field leader, and he played in a big-time conference against big-time defenses and posted great numbers against said defenses.

    Cons- He's smaller than ideal, he's proven to be immature off the field, he can make questionable decisions, his footwork can be improved, and he was bailed out by Evans on more than one occasion.

    From a scouting standpoint, that's what needs to be considered. That's it.

    Not being a Manziel fan I still have to say thats right on the money. He actually had more passes over 20 yds and greater accuracy than Bridgewater , Bortles and Carr I believe. The data was posted on Rotoworld.

  • Mike @ DBN wrote up a great scouting report on Johnny Football. http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/2/17/5416174/browns-potential-draft-pick-profile-johnny-manziel

  • Nice write up even if I dont agree with the final grade lol. I believe I am going to write my congressmen and request a bill that strikes the term "Johhny Football" from the English language. I have to think at this point even if you love the guy you are tired of hearing it.

  • The rest of the article makes it sound like he'd really like to play in Texas

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The rest of the article makes it sound like he'd really like to play in Texas

    He is from Texas. I would say that would be pretty normal for most players, wanting to play in their home state.

  • Nice write up even if I dont agree with the final grade lol. I believe I am going to write my congressmen and request a bill that strikes the term "Johhny Football" from the English language. I have to think at this point even if you love the guy you are tired of hearing it.

    @jcam222 said:

    Nice write up even if I dont agree with the final grade lol. I believe I am going to write my congressmen and request a bill that strikes the term "Johhny Football" from the English language. I have to think at this point even if you love the guy you are tired of hearing it.

    I think he should legally change his name to it hahaha.
  • Maybe people are tired of hearing the nickname, jcam, but (and you may not be old enough to remember this) they called Don Mattingly "Donnie Baseball" for a long, long time. So, I wouldn't look forward to it ending anytime soon.

  • oh it will end alright. when the guy can't walk anymore, then they'll call him johnny shit in a bag.

  • Todays game is all about the mobile, make plays with your feet QB. JM is the next QB up that fits that bill. So run with it if he's there. Move up to get him if we have to. It really only cost us our 4th pick and 26 which was a windfall pick anyway.

    @topdawg31 said:

    Todays game is all about the mobile, make plays with your feet QB. JM is the next QB up that fits that bill. So run with it if he's there. Move up to get him if we have to. It really only cost us our 4th pick and 26 which was a windfall pick anyway.

    Really? Take a look at the superbowl QB over the past 10 years.

    How many yards did Russell run for in the playoffs? +/- 50 yards. Take a guess.

    And oh yes. He didn't win the superbowl MVP. That's rare for the winning team.

  • @topdawg31 said:

    Todays game is all about the mobile, make plays with your feet QB. JM is the next QB up that fits that bill. So run with it if he's there. Move up to get him if we have to. It really only cost us our 4th pick and 26 which was a windfall pick anyway.

    Really? Take a look at the superbowl QB over the past 10 years.

    How many yards did Russell run for in the playoffs? +/- 50 yards. Take a guess.

    And oh yes. He didn't win the superbowl MVP. That's rare for the winning team.

    @masterdog said:

    Really? Take a look at the superbowl QB over the past 10 years.

    How many yards did Russell run for in the playoffs? +/- 50 yards. Take a guess.

    The traditional pocket passers are getting harder and harder to find, well at least the ones who are accurate and smart enough to be successful. With more college teams switching to these spread, read option offenses, more QBs coming out of college are mobile guys. Times are a changin boys. These mobile guys find a little more success early on in their careers because of the threat of running opens things up a little for em. One of these days a guy is gonna figure it out. Hes gonna be Brees throwing the ball, and be mobile, and whoever he plays for will be unstoppable.
  • @topdawg31 said:

    Todays game is all about the mobile, make plays with your feet QB. JM is the next QB up that fits that bill. So run with it if he's there. Move up to get him if we have to. It really only cost us our 4th pick and 26 which was a windfall pick anyway.

    Really? Take a look at the superbowl QB over the past 10 years.

    How many yards did Russell run for in the playoffs? +/- 50 yards. Take a guess.

    And oh yes. He didn't win the superbowl MVP. That's rare for the winning team.

    @masterdog said:

    Really? Take a look at the superbowl QB over the past 10 years.

    How many yards did Russell run for in the playoffs? +/- 50 yards. Take a guess.

    And oh yes. He didn't win the superbowl MVP. That's rare for the winning team.

    Making plays with your feet isn't the same as running the ball.

    If you can honestly sit there and say that Wilson, Roethlisberger and Rodgers don't make plays with their feet, then you're crazy, delusional, or blind.

    I think there's a lot of miscommunication on this board. "Mobile" doesn't mean "runner". It means mobile. Personally, I want a quarterback who can extend plays with his feet. That doesn't mean run down field, that means play backyard football like Wilson, Rodgers and Roethlisberger do. That means give your receivers time to get open even when under duress.

    I'm tired of seeing our QB get sacked if the blocking isn't absolutely perfect.