Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • DieHardBrownsFan similar to what Lobo asked me why would someone pay starting quarterback money to Brian Hoyer? What is it anyone has seen in him so far that suggest he might be elite someday?

    (assuming that would be the goal of an NFL team)

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    DieHardBrownsFan similar to what Lobo asked me why would someone pay starting quarterback money to Brian Hoyer? What is it anyone has seen in him so far that suggest he might be elite someday?

    (assuming that would be the goal of an NFL team)

    WSS

    Not elite Steve but capable.

  • @westside-steve said:

    DieHardBrownsFan similar to what Lobo asked me why would someone pay starting quarterback money to Brian Hoyer? What is it anyone has seen in him so far that suggest he might be elite someday?

    (assuming that would be the goal of an NFL team)

    WSS

    Not elite Steve but capable.

    @darkside5 said:

    Not elite Steve but capable.

    And capable is a best case scenario. So again isn't very good at least what you want in a starter?

    Here's any team's best chance to win with Brian Hoyer at the helm. Make sure your team is as good as Rex Grossman Chicago Bears or Trent Dilfer Baltimore Ravens. Frankly if the Cleveland Browns could be that good I'd be a happy guy.

    But if any team is not that good why would they pay top dollar to a quarterback they can only hope will be adequate?

    He may as well stay here and hope for the best. I guarantee he won't get the love and respect in a city he wasn't born in.

    WSS

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    You got that right. Looks like a 'moldie' or is it moldy, walking down the hallways of Greenbriar with a book bag. Probably has fairy hooks ready to be pulled off his shirt.

    It's moldie...

    .. and I'd forgotten about fairy hooks.

    @tour2ma said:

    It's moldie...

    .. and I'd forgotten about fairy hooks.

    Haha, We used to call them fruit loops back in the day.

  • @darkside5 said:

    Not elite Steve but capable.

    And capable is a best case scenario. So again isn't very good at least what you want in a starter?

    Here's any team's best chance to win with Brian Hoyer at the helm. Make sure your team is as good as Rex Grossman Chicago Bears or Trent Dilfer Baltimore Ravens. Frankly if the Cleveland Browns could be that good I'd be a happy guy.

    But if any team is not that good why would they pay top dollar to a quarterback they can only hope will be adequate?

    He may as well stay here and hope for the best. I guarantee he won't get the love and respect in a city he wasn't born in.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    And capable is a best case scenario. So again isn't very good at least what you want in a starter?

    Here's any team's best chance to win with Brian Hoyer at the helm. Make sure your team is as good as Rex Grossman Chicago Bears or Trent Dilfer Baltimore Ravens. Frankly if the Cleveland Browns could be that good I'd be a happy guy.

    But if any team is not that good why would they pay top dollar to a quarterback they can only hope will be adequate?

    He may as well stay here and hope for the best. I guarantee he won't get the love and respect in a city he wasn't born in.

    WSS

    I just can't see us keeping Hoyer after benching him for JFF. Hoyer will be looking elsewhere. I think we should keep him, but doubt it will happen.

  • @westside-steve said:

    And capable is a best case scenario. So again isn't very good at least what you want in a starter?

    Here's any team's best chance to win with Brian Hoyer at the helm. Make sure your team is as good as Rex Grossman Chicago Bears or Trent Dilfer Baltimore Ravens. Frankly if the Cleveland Browns could be that good I'd be a happy guy.

    But if any team is not that good why would they pay top dollar to a quarterback they can only hope will be adequate?

    He may as well stay here and hope for the best. I guarantee he won't get the love and respect in a city he wasn't born in.

    WSS

    I just can't see us keeping Hoyer after benching him for JFF. Hoyer will be looking elsewhere. I think we should keep him, but doubt it will happen.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I just can't see us keeping Hoyer after benching him for JFF. Hoyer will be looking elsewhere. I think we should keep him, but doubt it will happen.

    Then I'm afraid he's not being realistic. He was benched for poor performance. Any quarterback in any city should expect that would be a possibility.

    WSS

  • Keep Hoyer, but give him a realistic contract, which I think he will accept. Keep JFF in case there is an NFL QB hiding in that body. Draft other needs such as OL/DL/WR.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Keep Hoyer, but give him a realistic contract, which I think he will accept. Keep JFF in case there is an NFL QB hiding in that body. Draft other needs such as OL/DL/WR.

    Bingo

  • Why is Johnny sounding like he is already out for next week? Has anybody heard anything definitive? If so, I though he wanted out yesterday which would give his so-called competitiveness a big hit.

  • One, Browns have needs at DL and LB and backup OL trump every potential need at WR that could be extrapolated.

    Two, JF has sucked and will suck. JF couldn't do anything with Cameron or Gordon WHEN THEY WERE THERE, yesterday.. and what did Hoyer do? Walk in, throw a TD, be competitive.. because he is serviceable. And hoyer had none of the reps this week in practice.

    Anyone who seriously thinks JF has a clue about the NFL must be wearing 2 layers of metaphorically rose-colored glasses, because he's terrible. He won't get an offer to be a backup after Cleveland cuts him.

  • Why is Johnny sounding like he is already out for next week? Has anybody heard anything definitive? If so, I though he wanted out yesterday which would give his so-called competitiveness a big hit.

    @ramblin said:

    Why is Johnny sounding like he is already out for next week? Has anybody heard anything definitive? If so, I though he wanted out yesterday which would give his so-called competitiveness a big hit.

    That's what happens in the final weeks of just about any season. I think injury reports are often just smoke screens. I can't imagine him not wanting to play. But you have the company line. Kind of annoying actually.

    WSS

  • I agree - I hope he wants to play. But the quotes were his and it sure sounds like he isn't planning on playing.

    I said it earlier - this season really has been chaos due to Manzielmania and I just don't think he is going to be an effective NFL starter. Didn't think it a year ago and I definitely do not think it now. It's idiotic people like Chuck Booms that thinks the path to relevancy in the NFL is drafting a media circus. Just win games, that's all it takes to be relevant. And we were doing a pretty decent job of it until Manzielmania overwhelmed the team. The fan base is already the best in the NFL. And this should have been a good season and it was wrecked over when the back-up was going to play. The back-up that the coaching staff knew wasn't ready or properly preparing himself like a professional to play.

  • http://larrybrownsports.com/football/johnny-manziel-admits-he-could-have-worked-harder/250318

    And to all you JFF fanboys out there that wonder why so many of us thought he wasn't working hard…well, there you go. HE IS WHO WE THINK HE IS. Right from the horses mouth.

    "He even admitted he has not worked as hard as he could have worked this season."

  • Ticket sales were not going to be an issue... JM or no JM.

    Maybe Haslam significantly meddled in the football details... maybe he did not.

    What many here are believing Jimmy has done regarding JM, is antithetical to the way a successful businessman operates.

  • @osiris said:

    Jimmy Haslam is the reason we have Pettine and Farmer and Lombardi and Banner are gone. The only problem here is the people who expect a 180 degree turnaround in a single season and call for people's heads when they don't get. Let's face it, this is going to be a 7-9 season. Going from 4-12 to 7-9 is going in the right direction, yet you geniuses want to stop the car and kick out the driver because he isn't moving fast enough in the right direction. The only thing that will get you is lost, again. Aren't you tired of 15 years of being lost?

    yes,Im just tired of gimmicky QB's.. Just get Me a QB whose smart and can win from the pocket.. Because Manziel hasn't shown Me one thing so far,that makes Me think he's ever gonna ge good.. He's stinkola.. I hope Jimmy is proud of himself for sacrificing the season for his own greedy ticket sales.. "asshole"

    @nickers said:

    . I hope Jimmy is proud of himself for sacrificing the season for his own greedy ticket sales.. "asshole"

    @tour2ma said:

    Ticket sales were not going to be an issue... JM or no JM.

    we always sell out. Johnny or no Johnny. We didn't draft him for tickets.

    Why does everyone thing JH is Jerry Jones? Cause they look and talk a bit alike? Because he keeps getting slammed for things only an insider would know and has never been reported on

    Jimmy makes picks?, changes the lineup?, forces pettine to play JM?, etc. Its all made up bullshit and has zero credibility.

  • @nickers said:

    . I hope Jimmy is proud of himself for sacrificing the season for his own greedy ticket sales.. "asshole"

    @tour2ma said:

    Ticket sales were not going to be an issue... JM or no JM.

    we always sell out. Johnny or no Johnny. We didn't draft him for tickets.

    Why does everyone thing JH is Jerry Jones? Cause they look and talk a bit alike? Because he keeps getting slammed for things only an insider would know and has never been reported on

    Jimmy makes picks?, changes the lineup?, forces pettine to play JM?, etc. Its all made up bullshit and has zero credibility.

    @manzier said:

    Jimmy makes picks?, changes the lineup?, forces pettine to play JM?, etc. Its all made up bullshit and has zero credibility.

    That's the smartest thing you ever posted here.

  • @lodilobo said:

    Just curious....what plays or characteristics have you seen from Manziel that would make you think he could be an elite qb?....other than maybe backyard pick up games?

    he has an above average arm, he had one of the highest IQs of the draft, he has excellent ability to scramble he is a competitor. And, even though they are often wrong, most football analysts saw him as a talent. Granted most predicted a boom or bust possibility but at least a possible high ceiling.

    I don't think you could judge any rookie by the performance against the Cincinnati Bengals. They manhandled the Cleveland Browns at every stage of the game. It was the worst team performance I've seen in years.

    As you should recall I didn't call for brian hoyers head. I said leave him in the rest of the season and if you are going to make a change start Johnny with a healthy team after a full training camp.

    Then if he's a bust we will know it and you can rejoice.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    he has an above average arm, he had one of the highest IQs of the draft, he has excellent ability to scramble he is a competitor. And, even though they are often wrong, most football analysts saw him as a talent. Granted most predicted a boom or bust possibility but at least a possible high ceiling.

    I don't think you could judge any rookie by the performance against the Cincinnati Bengals. They manhandled the Cleveland Browns at every stage of the game. It was the worst team performance I've seen in years.

    As you should recall I didn't call for brian hoyers head. I said leave him in the rest of the season and if you are going to make a change start Johnny with a healthy team after a full training camp.

    Then if he's a bust we will know it and you can rejoice.

    WSS

    Okay....well, I'm not rejoicing, no matter who plays qb. Obviously you're a Manziel fan, no matter what. I wanted him to start against the Bungles...in fact, I wanted Hoyer pulled at half time of the previous game. I was wrong....it's not that hard to admit it....try it. As far as Manziel's talents, or more accurately, his lack of talents...I don't see the arm strength, I don't see the competitor...especially after yesterday. I question if he was even hurt. You don't walk away not limping from a hamstring injury that is serious enough for you to leave the game. I've had a few hamstring problems, as a marathon runner, and they come with a lot of pain. Usually, walking is a major task. I was hoping Manziel would be the end of the qb search that we've been on for 15 years, now. If I saw a glimpse of encouragement to make me think it was possible, I would be all for it. I see nothing to make me believe that he could even be a back up in the NFL. Hoyer is not the answer, so this is not Hoyer vs. Manziel...and I'm not a Manziel hater....just a bad football hater.

  • DieHardBrownsFan similar to what Lobo asked me why would someone pay starting quarterback money to Brian Hoyer? What is it anyone has seen in him so far that suggest he might be elite someday?

    (assuming that would be the goal of an NFL team)

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    DieHardBrownsFan similar to what Lobo asked me why would someone pay starting quarterback money to Brian Hoyer? What is it anyone has seen in him so far that suggest he might be elite someday?

    (assuming that would be the goal of an NFL team)

    WSS

    I agree....while he has looked, at times like an NFL quarterback, there is nothing to warrant him getting a big contract. I think he would make a decent back up, and possibly a stop gap while a rookie matures. Other than that, I consider him average on his best days.

  • And yes Lobo I'm a Johnny fan*. He is the first round pick of the Cleveland Browns and until he does something over the course of at least a full season to prove he has no NFL potential or does something that pisses me off personally I give him the benefit of the doubt.

    WSS

    *that doesn't mean I have to hate the other guy.

  • And yes Lobo I'm a Johnny fan*. He is the first round pick of the Cleveland Browns and until he does something over the course of at least a full season to prove he has no NFL potential or does something that pisses me off personally I give him the benefit of the doubt.

    WSS

    *that doesn't mean I have to hate the other guy.

    @westside-steve said:

    And yes Lobo I'm a Johnny fan*. He is the first round pick of the Cleveland Browns and until he does something over the course of at least a full season to prove he has no NFL potential or does something that pisses me off personally I give him the benefit of the doubt.

    WSS

    *that doesn't mean I have to hate the other guy.

    I guess I just don't have the patience that you display. Maybe because I'm getting older. I had more patience with Weeden and McCoy. I hope I'm wrong, but in my mind Manziel has already proven that he has no NFL potential. I don't hate him for it....I hate Farmer for drafting him.

  • @nickers said:

    . I hope Jimmy is proud of himself for sacrificing the season for his own greedy ticket sales.. "asshole"

    @tour2ma said:

    Ticket sales were not going to be an issue... JM or no JM.

    we always sell out. Johnny or no Johnny. We didn't draft him for tickets.

    Why does everyone thing JH is Jerry Jones? Cause they look and talk a bit alike? Because he keeps getting slammed for things only an insider would know and has never been reported on

    Jimmy makes picks?, changes the lineup?, forces pettine to play JM?, etc. Its all made up bullshit and has zero credibility.

    @manzier said:

    Jimmy makes picks?, changes the lineup?, forces pettine to play JM?, etc. Its all made up bullshit and has zero credibility.

    Does that mean the "homeless guy" wasn't real either? 🙁

  • @westside-steve said:

    And yes Lobo I'm a Johnny fan*. He is the first round pick of the Cleveland Browns and until he does something over the course of at least a full season to prove he has no NFL potential or does something that pisses me off personally I give him the benefit of the doubt.

    WSS

    *that doesn't mean I have to hate the other guy.

    I guess I just don't have the patience that you display. Maybe because I'm getting older. I had more patience with Weeden and McCoy. I hope I'm wrong, but in my mind Manziel has already proven that he has no NFL potential. I don't hate him for it....I hate Farmer for drafting him.

    @lodilobo said:

    I guess I just don't have the patience that you display. Maybe because I'm getting older. I had more patience with Weeden and McCoy. I hope I'm wrong, but in my mind Manziel has already proven that he has no NFL potential. I don't hate him for it....I hate Farmer for drafting him.

    And unfortunately it's that very kind of impatience that has kept the Browns in the toilet for over a decade.

    WSS