Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • somewhere there is a guy bent over or on his knees.....right in front of another guy....named Taco....

  • Well back from my drive from Cali. to Texas via Yosemite, Death Valley (118 degrees when we went thru), Lost Wages and the Grand Canyon (put it high on your bucket list, especially for a sundown). Had a chance to review most of the game now. Two observations. McCown also looked directly at his receivers on all but the TD (forced to look elsewhere) and the long pass where interference was called. So JFF not the only one. The O seems designed to look fast and get it off fast. 2nd, JF is starting to show his old quickness of feet to escape rushes and continue to look downfield. He is beginning to remind me of how I made a step from a decent level of racquetball to a high level. The guy teaching me made me change my quick, speedy game to one in which I was required to let many of the shots go by to the back wall instead of trying to cut them all off. It took a lot of "thinking" which screwed everything up until it became second nature and the speed and quickness could be added back again with a far more complete game. It took a full year to make that transition to the point I was playing a far higher level overall. I see the same thing with JF. A lot of painful 'thinking" transition with more and more moments of the old JF being incorporated into the "new" game he is learning. He's still got a way to go, but all the signs are there that it's beginning to change for the better. I'm glad McCown is there to guide him along in making that transition. But I do not expect JF's highest level of play until next year. It just takes time and a lot of experience.

    Someone found their maroon colored glasses... 😎

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well back from my drive from Cali. to Texas via Yosemite, Death Valley (118 degrees when we went thru), Lost Wages and the Grand Canyon (put it high on your bucket list, especially for a sundown).

    Nothing like a good, long drive.

    Yosemite has the highest beauty per sqft ratio I've ever seen.

    Never have felt more isolated than I did in Death Valley after the paved road turned to gravel, the gravel to dirt, and then there was no discernable road. Before I turned around I got out of the rental to total silence.

  • Someone found their maroon colored glasses... 😎

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well back from my drive from Cali. to Texas via Yosemite, Death Valley (118 degrees when we went thru), Lost Wages and the Grand Canyon (put it high on your bucket list, especially for a sundown).

    Nothing like a good, long drive.

    Yosemite has the highest beauty per sqft ratio I've ever seen.

    Never have felt more isolated than I did in Death Valley after the paved road turned to gravel, the gravel to dirt, and then there was no discernable road. Before I turned around I got out of the rental to total silence.

    @tour2ma said:

    Someone found their maroon colored glasses... 😎

    Nothing like a good, long drive.

    Yosemite has the highest beauty per sqft ratio I've ever seen.

    Never have felt more isolated than I did in Death Valley after the paved road turned to gravel, the gravel to dirt, and then there was no discernable road. Before I turned around I got out of the rental to total silence.

    And then a 20 mule team ran your ass over.

  • Someone found their maroon colored glasses... 😎

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well back from my drive from Cali. to Texas via Yosemite, Death Valley (118 degrees when we went thru), Lost Wages and the Grand Canyon (put it high on your bucket list, especially for a sundown).

    Nothing like a good, long drive.

    Yosemite has the highest beauty per sqft ratio I've ever seen.

    Never have felt more isolated than I did in Death Valley after the paved road turned to gravel, the gravel to dirt, and then there was no discernable road. Before I turned around I got out of the rental to total silence.

    @tour2ma said:

    Someone found their maroon colored glasses... 😎

    .

    Never have felt more isolated than I did in Death Valley after the paved road turned to gravel, the gravel to dirt, and then there was no discernable road. Before I turned around I got out of the rental to total silence.

    Sounds like the best place for Tacosman rental Taco Stand till seasons end. Than he shall eat Mc Crow at seasons end and until than Mc Taco has a nice ring to it.

  • lol... not tacos, but on the way back towards civilization (AKA Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake) yet still in the middle of nowhere, there was a gas station that had converted into a giant jerky stand... all kinds of meats... all kinds of flavorings.

    Perfect climate for jerking...

  • lol... not tacos, but on the way back towards civilization (AKA Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake) yet still in the middle of nowhere, there was a gas station that had converted into a giant jerky stand... all kinds of meats... all kinds of flavorings.

    Perfect climate for jerking...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... not tacos, but on the way back towards civilization (AKA Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake) yet still in the middle of nowhere, there was a gas station that had converted into a giant jerky stand... all kinds of meats... all kinds of flavorings.

    Perfect climate for jerking...

    You will be happy to know that our detour on Historic Route 66 out of Kingman, Ariz. to Seligman actually has a place called Peach Springs that got bypassed by the building of I-40. Ironically only one place just to the east of it took advantage of the kids movie Cars by naming his place Radiator Springs Gas.

    And as much as we searched we never did see Martin Milner and George Maharis. LOL! 😁

    https://www.google.com/search?q=route+66+corvette&biw=1600&bih=763&tbm=isch&imgil=POfTZ4jsJ-5BgM%253A%253BBwHfXAH09gcurM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fvette81.tripod.com%25252Frt66index.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=POfTZ4jsJ-5BgM%253A%252CBwHfXAH09gcurM%252C_&usg=__RFDzIrmPjhQsnmA_gmpPcE9IUu0%3D&ved=0CCkQyjdqFQoTCJ2ilJ2WtscCFRF8kgodUq4B8w&ei=SQDVVd3ZLJH4yQTS3IaYDw#imgrc=Kj2zuMC4itHS7M%3A&usg=__RFDzIrmPjhQsnmA_gmpPcE9IUu0%3D

  • Well... continued progress tonite...

    I saw a lot of good... good pre-snaps... good movement... eyes downfield... and a command of the Offense (including climbing on West for missing a blitz pick-up). A lot of good, but the best thing I saw was the sack JM took on third and long when blitzed to end his 2nd series IIRC.

    You could tell he was tempted to try and make a throw even though he was "in the grasp", but thought better of it and ate the ball. If he can do this, if he can adopt a "first do no harm" approach, then he has a chance to be this team's QB.

  • Well... continued progress tonite...

    I saw a lot of good... good pre-snaps... good movement... eyes downfield... and a command of the Offense (including climbing on West for missing a blitz pick-up). A lot of good, but the best thing I saw was the sack JM took on third and long when blitzed to end his 2nd series IIRC.

    You could tell he was tempted to try and make a throw even though he was "in the grasp", but thought better of it and ate the ball. If he can do this, if he can adopt a "first do no harm" approach, then he has a chance to be this team's QB.

    @tour2ma said:

    Well... continued progress tonite...

    I saw a lot of good... good pre-snaps... good movement... eyes downfield... and a command of the Offense (including climbing on West for missing a blitz pick-up). A lot of good, but the best thing I saw was the sack JM took on third and long when blitzed to end his 2nd series IIRC.

    You could tell he was tempted to try and make a throw even though he was "in the grasp", but thought better of it and ate the ball. If he can do this, if he can adopt a "first do no harm" approach, then he has a chance to be this team's QB.

    He has made a lot of progress from a pure no huddle to a full time huddle O. I agree on eating it. I was silently yelling, "Don't throw, don't throw!!"

    Most disappointing at the end was his receivers not yet understanding that when the internal clock runs out, start looking to come back to him because it's better than 50-50 he has extended the play. They have just as much to learn about him as he does the offense.

  • Getting better and better. He needed help at the end, but didn't get much. I think that's in part due to the doubt of his teammates. When he shows them that confidence that "we will win", guys will believe and make those plays.

    Assuming he continues on his upward trend.

  • somewhere there is a guy bent over or on his knees.....right in front of another guy....named Taco....

    @mudfly said:

    somewhere there is a guy bent over or on his knees.....right in front of another guy....named Taco....

    Could we start using his full name?

    Edit: Actually his full name even reflects poorly on me.

    Shit.

  • As for the game tonight, I was only able to catch the second half. I came away rather impressed with Manziel's performance tonight. He had a couple nice throws and didn't make any back breaking mistakes. It might be baby steps but, at the very least, it's in the right direction.

  • I saw only a few good throws.. most of his passes were wobbly and he still has trouble making reads and relies too much on the hot route. he stares down receivers in a bad way.. I was at the game.. yay he got a td against scrubs that will for the most part.. not make the bills roster.. get a grip.... when it counted against 3rd and 4th stringers.. he sucked..

  • Manziel looked good. McCown looked terrible. Looks like a controversy in Cleveland.

  • I saw only a few good throws.. most of his passes were wobbly and he still has trouble making reads and relies too much on the hot route. he stares down receivers in a bad way.. I was at the game.. yay he got a td against scrubs that will for the most part.. not make the bills roster.. get a grip.... when it counted against 3rd and 4th stringers.. he sucked..

    @nickers said:

    I saw only a few good throws.. most of his passes were wobbly and he still has trouble making reads and relies too much on the hot route. he stares down receivers in a bad way.. I was at the game.. yay he got a td against scrubs that will for the most part.. not make the bills roster.. get a grip.... when it counted against 3rd and 4th stringers.. he sucked..

    His teammates on the field were also 3rd and 4th stringers. Also, this is pretty much his rookie year due to being a fuck up last year in his personal life.

    I don't hold out much hope for the guy but I will certainly give credit where it is due. He played alright against the backups for a really good defense.

  • Yep...Id say Johnny is looking much better than what we saw last season.....taking steps in the right direction.....got a little taste of keeping the play alive...I like the progress Im seeing....

    In his defense, the 2nd team O Line has sucked royally and Johnny has had zeee-ro time...to stand in the pocket....which barely exists. Thinking he'd be even better with some blockers and receivers......time will tell.....Im much more encouraged now than before....

  • Well....Housler did finally catch a few last night.....though, Id say Bibbs is looking better......and better......

    Not seeing us keep 4 plus a FB....so, my bubble has Housler and Dray on it......and Housler dont block....sooooo

  • Yep, assuming Barnidge is fine after concussion checks, he's #1, backed up by Bibbs. Then does Pett want a blocker or a receiver as the #3? My money's not on the 'flashy' player.

  • Well....Housler did finally catch a few last night.....though, Id say Bibbs is looking better......and better......

    Not seeing us keep 4 plus a FB....so, my bubble has Housler and Dray on it......and Housler dont block....sooooo

    @mudfly said:

    Well....Housler did finally catch a few last night.....though, Id say Bibbs is looking better......and better......

    Not seeing us keep 4 plus a FB....so, my bubble has Housler and Dray on it......and Housler dont block....sooooo

    Housler is a really big dude and he has that going for him, but even his catches looked "awkward". He double caught one for sure. Bibbs as you've noted on the other hand looks really good out there.

  • Manziel showed some more good things last night which is encouraging. The 10-18 number is pretty misleading because he had at least two drops, two dumb penalties and little protection at the end of the game. He had a really nice deep throw rolling out to his weak side and on his TD pass didn't run when he had a lane. He shouldn't and won't be the week 1 one guy but I'm encouraged by what we've seen so far.

    McCown on the other hand struggled. Now I'll be the first to admit the Buffalo defense is crazy good, I can't believe how fast they are more than anything else. I still thought though that McCown left the pocket early way too many times and the 2nd INT was pretty bad. Hopefully though with the extended rest we can actually put a full squad of the one's out there against Tampa. Don't forget it's just preseason and the Browns practiced against the Bills all week.

  • Yep, assuming Barnidge is fine after concussion checks, he's #1, backed up by Bibbs. Then does Pett want a blocker or a receiver as the #3? My money's not on the 'flashy' player.

    @gftchris said:

    Yep, assuming Barnidge is fine after concussion checks, he's #1, backed up by Bibbs. Then does Pett want a blocker or a receiver as the #3? My money's not on the 'flashy' player.

    The good news is that Barnidge is already cleared....no concussion.....so we will see him back at practice and against TB....