Skip to content

Rate the Browns QBs

The Browns Board
19 9 1.8k
  • @danamal said:

    It wasnt long after red right 88 that the fans started to lose confidence in Sipe and everyone wanted Paul McDonald to take the reigns because of some flash in the pan mop up duty and a bullet for an arm,

    The fans got what they wanted and he was a bust.

    Pretty good work on this thread Gipper,

    You sure you and Steve are good friends,you seem a little bright for that dim bulb!

    Just kidding,no need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch.

    I am too bright for that dim bulb, but I take mercy on him anyway since he is an old "homeboy"

  • Nice list Gipper. I would have Ty Detmer up there for the crap QB's.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Nice list Gipper. I would have Ty Detmer up there for the crap QB's.

    Of course Detmer was also brought in when this was just a paper franchise, so I give him some slack there.

  • Grahm Sipe Kosar

    Please tell me the rest never existed.

    I hope nobody on this board was one of the yahoo's clamouring for Spurgeon Wynn. (talk about a crapshoot)

    @hammertime said:

    Grahm Sipe Kosar

    Please tell me the rest never existed.

    I hope nobody on this board was one of the yahoo's clamouring for Spurgeon Wynn. (talk about a crapshoot)

    [b]

    If you are discounting what Bill Nelsen did here you don't know Browns history. He probably QBed the Browns to the playoffs 3 or 4 years, which is more than Sipe. And Wynn threw only like 50 passes as a Cleveland Brown so I didn't include him. FYI, Len Dawson also played QB for the Browns but only had 40-50 throws....but he ended up in the HOF.[/b]

  • by Pro Bowl Appearances

    Graham - 5

    Ryan - 3

    Plum - 2

    Nelsen, Sipe, Kosar, Anderson - 1

  • OK, here is the scoop on who have been the primary starting QBs in Browns history. I am giving the name, the number of playoff appearances that QB led the team to, and the number of years they were the primary QB of the Browns, in somewhat chronological order:

    Graham: 10 years, 10 playoff appearances

    O'Connell: 2 years, 1 playoff

    Plum: 4 years, 1 playoff

    Ryan: 6 years, 3 playoff

    Nelsen: 4 years, 3 playoffs

    Phipps: 4 years, 1 playoff

    Sipe: 8 years, 1 playoff

    Kosar: 7 years, 5 playoffs

    Testaverde: 3 years, 1 playoff

    Couch: 4 years, 1 playoff

    The following QBs were the primary QB of the Browns for one year only without making the playoffs

    McDonald, Tomczak, Holcomb, Garcia, Dilfer, Frye.

    Derek Anderson has been the primary QB for 2 years without making a playoff appearance, though he came close once.

  • Error alert!

    Sipe actually QBed the Browns to 2 playoff appearances. In addition to the Red Right 88 season of 1980 he was also the QB in 1982 during the strike shortened season. So make it 2 out of 8 years, not 1.

    In 1982 the Browns also lost to the Raiders, 27-10 in their only playoff game.

    Thus, FYI, Brian Sipe never QBed the Browns to a single victory in the playoffs. Both games were losses to the Raiders.

    Even Testaverde had a playoff win vs. the Patriots.

  • @hammertime said:

    Grahm Sipe Kosar

    Please tell me the rest never existed.

    I hope nobody on this board was one of the yahoo's clamouring for Spurgeon Wynn. (talk about a crapshoot)

    [b]

    If you are discounting what Bill Nelsen did here you don't know Browns history. He probably QBed the Browns to the playoffs 3 or 4 years, which is more than Sipe. And Wynn threw only like 50 passes as a Cleveland Brown so I didn't include him. FYI, Len Dawson also played QB for the Browns but only had 40-50 throws....but he ended up in the HOF.[/b]

    @the-gipper said:

    [b]

    If you are discounting what Bill Nelsen did here you don't know Browns history. He probably QBed the Browns to the playoffs 3 or 4 years, which is more than Sipe. And Wynn threw only like 50 passes as a Cleveland Brown so I didn't include him. FYI, Len Dawson also played QB for the Browns but only had 40-50 throws....but he ended up in the HOF.[/b]

    Not at all. Just who i think of when i think Browns/QB

  • Zombo said:

    Sipe was benched for McDonald at the end of that year and McDonald actually started that second playoff game to Raiders.

    Zombo

    OK, but Sipe was the predominant starter for that season. I suspect that happened a few other times where the QB listed as the primary starter (I took the info from pro-football-reference.com) was benched at some point near the end of the season yet it was still that person who took the majority of the snaps in a season.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I don't really remember Phipps because I didn't watch the Browns much back then.

    I sure remember him and he was terrible from day one. To this day he's the stiffest QB I have ever seen. He looked like a robot dropping back to pass.

    He is easily the worst QB in Brown's history. 50+ TD's and 100+ INT's. In his last year with the Brown's he threw 4 TD's and 19 INT's.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I don't really remember Phipps because I didn't watch the Browns much back then.

    I sure remember him and he was terrible from day one. To this day he's the stiffest QB I have ever seen. He looked like a robot dropping back to pass.

    He is easily the worst QB in Brown's history. 50+ TD's and 100+ INT's. In his last year with the Brown's he threw 4 TD's and 19 INT's.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    I sure remember him and he was terrible from day one. To this day he's the stiffest QB I have ever seen. He looked like a robot dropping back to pass.

    He is easily the worst QB in Brown's history. 50+ TD's and 100+ INT's. In his last year with the Brown's he threw 4 TD's and 19 INT's.

    WOW, I didn't recall that it had gotten that bad. I must have blotted that out of my memory. I guess it must have been PTSS that caused that loss of memory (post traumatic stress syndrome).

  • 1. Graham

    2. Ryan

    3. Kosar

    4. Nelson

    5. Sipe

    That is the order of the only 5 really good qbs to ever play for this team.

    All the rest ranged from journeyman to bum.

  • The only change I'd make from Peens is I'd put Plum in there. Probably drop Nelson to #6. The only reason I'd vote Sipe over Nelson was that Sipe was actually the NFL's MVP one year.

    Plum's QB rating is still the highest in Brown's history. Two time Pro Bowler.