OUR "Hard Knocks" Thread
-
more cowbells & found more about Bob.. https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/04/bob-wylie-hard-knocks-cleveland-browns ordered the mancave a pillow.. wrapping this week up in 1 hour? Good Luck!
-
So I haven't watched Hard Knocks in forever, I think it might have been one of the times the Bengals were on there and they had drafted RT Andre Smith and he was a hold-out....
For you guys who have watched this show every year, how has this season compared? The same? Worse? Way more interesting? Boring?
I'm really torn. I have never missed a Hard Knocks episode since its inception and while I obviously like the look behind the curtain of my favorite team, there just seems to be a little something missing this year..... Hell, we're 4 episodes in and they have only mentioned Ward's name once, and that was last week when he got dinged..... the 4th overall pick has been absolutely invisible.
Maybe I was just too phuckin' geeked up this year and set myself up for disappointment with impossible expectations.... I don't know.
I'm really torn. I have never missed a Hard Knocks episode since its inception and while I obviously like the look behind the curtain of my favorite team, there just seems to be a little something missing this year..... Hell, we're 4 episodes in and they have only mentioned Ward's name once, and that was last week when he got dinged..... the 4th overall pick has been absolutely invisible.
Maybe I was just too phuckin' geeked up this year and set myself up for disappointment with impossible expectations.... I don't know.
They only have 5, 1 hour episodes. They can't talk to everyone. Also, it would be bad TV to jump around every week and not build any consistency, and rooting interests. There are players that would have been cool to highlight, but it is what it is.
That is probably the main downside, as a fan, of Hard Knocks being about your team. You already know so much about the team and you want this mini-series to go even more in depth on everything, but they can't.
For something like that we'd actually want to be features on Amazon's All or Nothing.
Also, the Building The Browns episodes on youtube aren't bad.
-
Two things:
- I thought Hard Knocks ending with Baker walking onto the practice field was the perfect ending. Turns out the perfect ending was actually Williams pointing at his crotch yelling "Put your testicles in the C gap!"
- Williams and Hailey are made for one another. The offensive and defensive side of the same coin. We just need a general HC that can let them do their thing. That might be what Hue is.
-
Two things:
- I thought Hard Knocks ending with Baker walking onto the practice field was the perfect ending. Turns out the perfect ending was actually Williams pointing at his crotch yelling "Put your testicles in the C gap!"
- Williams and Hailey are made for one another. The offensive and defensive side of the same coin. We just need a general HC that can let them do their thing. That might be what Hue is.
Two things:
- I thought Hard Knocks ending with Baker walking onto the practice field was the perfect ending. Turns out the perfect ending was actually Williams pointing at his crotch yelling "Put your testicles in the C gap!"
- Williams and Hailey are made for one another. The offensive and defensive side of the same coin. We just need a general HC that can let them do their thing. That might be what Hue is.
Agreed on williams and haley. love their intensity and personalities.
also, from a video editors perspective, the testicles in the c gap was just an awkward ending.
not much you can do when we cut ALL the featured guys. honestly, i would've talked to more guys and filmed more b-roll. I don't know that they didn't, but i feel like maybe you get an idea of what 8 of them are actually like, and i'd of liked more. I understand they had to edit it quick, but make it a little more emotionally powerful of an ending.
anyways, we look good, and i'm sure nassib will like tampa. i lived there for four years.
GO BROWNS!
-
It was hard watching the cuts. I'm sure HBO wanted one of their highlighted bubble guys to make it, but it's not just reality TV ... it's real.
I hope Orchard gets back on an NFL roster.
I think we'll see Brokeback and Cajuste in the spring league trying to get better ... I'll watch them.
On to the Steelers...
Zombo
--I have a feeling Todd Haley's offense is going to surprise some people.
-
We knew that as the worst team the last two years we would have to cut some guys who have been here a while. Got to see the family side of Orchard, but it has been obvious all along that he did not have the talent for the position he played. But at least he made some money for a few brief years, more than most make in 20 years altogether. Hope he invested well.
EDIT: The question I still have is are the players we brought in better than the ones we let go. Several we have never even seen in a pre-season game. I'm thinking specifically about the 3 main DLs sent packing, Orchard, Nassib and Brantley.
-
Well... Ep 5 just left me flat... a letdown on par with the final episode of The Sopranos.
Biggest thing for me... the Process guy... was catching barely a glimpse of our player evaluation process. Other than a little Dorsey/Hue huddle in the beginning and a little of Dorsey at a white board a little later... nada.
Then next it's Hue entering a room with his assembled staff to inform them of the cuts? Nary a hint of their involvement in the decision process.
Now all this could be editing by HBO/NFL Films, but it is more likely just how it is... we have a top down, autocratic organization and those can only be as good as the guy at the top.
Otherwise.... the contrast between Hue's "exit interviews" with cut players and those of past HK HCs was stark. Our "Mr.Nice Guy" practically had players apologizing to him for making him cut them...
... and no... the above is not a complement.
-
We knew that as the worst team the last two years we would have to cut some guys who have been here a while. Got to see the family side of Orchard, but it has been obvious all along that he did not have the talent for the position he played. But at least he made some money for a few brief years, more than most make in 20 years altogether. Hope he invested well.
EDIT: The question I still have is are the players we brought in better than the ones we let go. Several we have never even seen in a pre-season game. I'm thinking specifically about the 3 main DLs sent packing, Orchard, Nassib and Brantley.
We knew that as the worst team the last two years we would have to cut some guys who have been here a while. Got to see the family side of Orchard, but it has been obvious all along that he did not have the talent for the position he played. But at least he made some money for a few brief years, more than most make in 20 years altogether. Hope he invested well.
EDIT: The question I still have is are the players we brought in better than the ones we let go. Several we have never even seen in a pre-season game. I'm thinking specifically about the 3 main DLs sent packing, Orchard, Nassib and Brantley.
Are they better right now? Probably not. But I think at the bottom of the roster they are looking for upside. Orchard was given four camps and he's as good as he's going to get, which is just not good enough. Nassib had three camps and is good, but got replaced by a younger guy that they think might develop into really good.
Orchard was a 2nd round pick that performed like a 5th round pick .... special teamer and backup.
Nassib was a 3rd round pick that played like a 4th round pick ... rotational guy.
They want better. They want guys that exceed expectations.
Brantley seemed like a find in the 6th round ... but the issue seemed to be motivation. Does he love football? Does he bring it every down?
That's why they all got the call to see the Wolf.
Z
-
We knew that as the worst team the last two years we would have to cut some guys who have been here a while. Got to see the family side of Orchard, but it has been obvious all along that he did not have the talent for the position he played. But at least he made some money for a few brief years, more than most make in 20 years altogether. Hope he invested well.
EDIT: The question I still have is are the players we brought in better than the ones we let go. Several we have never even seen in a pre-season game. I'm thinking specifically about the 3 main DLs sent packing, Orchard, Nassib and Brantley.
Are they better right now? Probably not. But I think at the bottom of the roster they are looking for upside. Orchard was given four camps and he's as good as he's going to get, which is just not good enough. Nassib had three camps and is good, but got replaced by a younger guy that they think might develop into really good.
Orchard was a 2nd round pick that performed like a 5th round pick .... special teamer and backup.
Nassib was a 3rd round pick that played like a 4th round pick ... rotational guy.
They want better. They want guys that exceed expectations.
Brantley seemed like a find in the 6th round ... but the issue seemed to be motivation. Does he love football? Does he bring it every down?
That's why they all got the call to see the Wolf.
Z
Zombo said:
That's why they all got the call to see the Wolf.
a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."
Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.
-
Zombo said:
That's why they all got the call to see the Wolf.
a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."
Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.
Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.
We have them home with meditation drills, "Do not go for the fake snap count, do not look at the tackler, do not forget to go in when it's my turn, etc." and most importantly for Huey, "Do not interfere with my coordinators, do not fk up the red zone, do not waste my timeouts, etc."?
-
Zombo said:
That's why they all got the call to see the Wolf.
a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."
Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.
a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."
Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.
Made it easy for Hue though. Wolf gives them the bad news and then Hue gets them after it has all sunk in and consoles them. His catchphrase was "different direction".
Z
-
Well... Ep 5 just left me flat... a letdown on par with the final episode of The Sopranos.
Biggest thing for me... the Process guy... was catching barely a glimpse of our player evaluation process. Other than a little Dorsey/Hue huddle in the beginning and a little of Dorsey at a white board a little later... nada.
Then next it's Hue entering a room with his assembled staff to inform them of the cuts? Nary a hint of their involvement in the decision process.
Now all this could be editing by HBO/NFL Films, but it is more likely just how it is... we have a top down, autocratic organization and those can only be as good as the guy at the top.
Otherwise.... the contrast between Hue's "exit interviews" with cut players and those of past HK HCs was stark. Our "Mr.Nice Guy" practically had players apologizing to him for making him cut them...
... and no... the above is not a complement.
-
Well... Ep 5 just left me flat... a letdown on par with the final episode of The Sopranos.
Biggest thing for me... the Process guy... was catching barely a glimpse of our player evaluation process. Other than a little Dorsey/Hue huddle in the beginning and a little of Dorsey at a white board a little later... nada.
Then next it's Hue entering a room with his assembled staff to inform them of the cuts? Nary a hint of their involvement in the decision process.
Now all this could be editing by HBO/NFL Films, but it is more likely just how it is... we have a top down, autocratic organization and those can only be as good as the guy at the top.
Otherwise.... the contrast between Hue's "exit interviews" with cut players and those of past HK HCs was stark. Our "Mr.Nice Guy" practically had players apologizing to him for making him cut them...
... and no... the above is not a complement.
Well... Ep 5 just left me flat... a letdown on par with the final episode of The Sopranos.
Biggest thing for me... the Process guy... was catching barely a glimpse of our player evaluation process. Other than a little Dorsey/Hue huddle in the beginning and a little of Dorsey at a white board a little later... nada.
Then next it's Hue entering a room with his assembled staff to inform them of the cuts? Nary a hint of their involvement in the decision process.
Now all this could be editing by HBO/NFL Films, but it is more likely just how it is... we have a top down, autocratic organization and those can only be as good as the guy at the top.
Otherwise.... the contrast between Hue's "exit interviews" with cut players and those of past HK HCs was stark. Our "Mr.Nice Guy" practically had players apologizing to him for making him cut them...
... and no... the above is not a complement.
I hated the Sopranos finale for years but once you actually understand it, it’s brilliant. I think the reason David Chase hasn’t said what happened is because it’s so obvious he’s mad at everyone for not getting it. There’s a pattern in the final scene that keeps showing different POVs, including Tony’s. We always get Tony’s POV as someone’s walking in. As soon as the suspected murderer walked in, it was time in the pattern to get Tony’s POV again. We got black instead. He died.
-
It was hard watching the cuts. I'm sure HBO wanted one of their highlighted bubble guys to make it, but it's not just reality TV ... it's real.
I hope Orchard gets back on an NFL roster.
I think we'll see Brokeback and Cajuste in the spring league trying to get better ... I'll watch them.
On to the Steelers...
Zombo
--I have a feeling Todd Haley's offense is going to surprise some people.
Zombo said:
It was hard watching the cuts. I'm sure HBO wanted one of their highlighted bubble guys to make it, but it's not just reality TV ... it's real.
I hope Orchard gets back on an NFL roster.
I think we'll see Brokeback and Cajuste in the spring league trying to get better ... I'll watch them.
On to the Steelers...
Zombo
--I have a feeling Todd Haley's offense is going to surprise some people.
Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.
-
Zombo said:
It was hard watching the cuts. I'm sure HBO wanted one of their highlighted bubble guys to make it, but it's not just reality TV ... it's real.
I hope Orchard gets back on an NFL roster.
I think we'll see Brokeback and Cajuste in the spring league trying to get better ... I'll watch them.
On to the Steelers...
Zombo
--I have a feeling Todd Haley's offense is going to surprise some people.
Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.
Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.
huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard
-
Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.
huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard
huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard
Did you watch the episode? Myles observed he was using one stance for the pass rush and another stance for run blocking then he'd guess during the play and switch. The problem with that is as Myles pointed out is you only have 2.5 seconds to reach target and will never get to the QB or the ball in time with that technique. This explains a lot of Orchard's inconsistency.
-
Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.
huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard
huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard
I wonder if Pet would take a look at him in GB?
I see he has a meeting with the Bills.
Bills & Bucs ... two teams nibbling for our scraps ... are we better than two teams now?
Zombo
-
huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard
I wonder if Pet would take a look at him in GB?
I see he has a meeting with the Bills.
Bills & Bucs ... two teams nibbling for our scraps ... are we better than two teams now?
Zombo
-
Zombo said:
That's why they all got the call to see the Wolf.
a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."
Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.
a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."
Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.
I think you're reading too much into it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login