Skip to content

OUR "Hard Knocks" Thread

The Browns Board
433 50 15.1k
  • After sleeping on it and having it gnaw away at my subconscious all night, the whole "This is my chair, it's my call cause I sit in this chair. I used to sit in your chair" thing really came off as arrogant and was a microcosm of what makes Hue a 1-31/0-16 head coach.

    You have multiple coaches, and a freaking stud PLAYER all saying the same thing, yet the "players coach" won't listen to a second of it...... Can you imaging Belichick being as soft as Hue? 

    Hue the man is a good dude - Hue the head coach is in way over his head. 

    @d-bone said:

    After sleeping on it and having it gnaw away at my subconscious all night, the whole "This is my chair, it's my call cause I sit in this chair. I used to sit in your chair" thing really came off as arrogant and was a microcosm of what makes Hue a 1-31/0-16 head coach.

    You have multiple coaches, and a freaking stud PLAYER all saying the same thing, yet the "players coach" won't listen to a second of it...... Can you imaging Belichick being as soft as Hue? 

    Hue the man is a good dude - Hue the head coach is in way over his head. 

    I felt exactly the same. I never like when someone uses as the argument ''I was in your position, and thought the same. But if you were in my position, you'd do as I''. 

    Maybe I didn't fully understand, but they were talking about making the injured players (or players with the risk of getting an injury) at least dress up for practice, right? They have to work on the work ethic and mentality. Even with the new additions, this team needs to play to its best to get a W. They're not earning one playing worse than the team in front of them, as some great teams do. 

  • I though Hue and the OC were going to get into an argument, but the OC let up.

  • hue said if I am not mistaken that only the final 53 will earn their stripes,,,,,so on thursrday night are we going to be playing in just orange helmets ? 

  • Where's the love for the Georgia Bulldawg landing at the Airport waiting on his bag? Poor Nick Chubb gets some HK fairy fan that don't even know who he is.😮..Poe'G we need you take one for the team..When da plane,da ✈️ Plane gets back from Giants game we want 1st class service by the Poe'g-man waiting...with Chubb banners ?

  • After sleeping on it and having it gnaw away at my subconscious all night, the whole "This is my chair, it's my call cause I sit in this chair. I used to sit in your chair" thing really came off as arrogant and was a microcosm of what makes Hue a 1-31/0-16 head coach.

    You have multiple coaches, and a freaking stud PLAYER all saying the same thing, yet the "players coach" won't listen to a second of it...... Can you imaging Belichick being as soft as Hue? 

    Hue the man is a good dude - Hue the head coach is in way over his head. 

    @d-bone said:

    After sleeping on it and having it gnaw away at my subconscious all night, the whole "This is my chair, it's my call cause I sit in this chair. I used to sit in your chair" thing really came off as arrogant and was a microcosm of what makes Hue a 1-31/0-16 head coach.

    You have multiple coaches, and a freaking stud PLAYER all saying the same thing, yet the "players coach" won't listen to a second of it...... Can you imaging Belichick being as soft as Hue? 

    Hue the man is a good dude - Hue the head coach is in way over his head. 

    I've always protected Hue, but after watching Hard Knocks, I have to agree with you.  Especially when Haley said the team was soft.  Hue, you have to wake up, or you won't be the leader of this team much longer.  As a matter of fact, I'd give him the first 5 games of the season.  If the record is still bad, he's out.  

  • @alporcini said:

    Really good job of production, editing and continuity. Totally dug how they intercut between Chubb and Mayfield at the airport.

    Yeah everyone knew Mayfield but Chubb was explaining what he did every step and some probably still think he was just a football player still @ Georgia since he never really elaborated until cornered. Fine with me. Let the play do the talking!

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yeah everyone knew Mayfield but Chubb was explaining what he did every step and some probably still think he was just a football player still @ Georgia since he never really elaborated until cornered. Fine with me. Let the play do the talking!

    I noticed that.  Even when the guy asked what team he played for and he replied Georgia, you would think the guy would have known we drafted him in the 2nd round.  But you could tell that guy was not a football fan.  Ask him a Baseball or Basketball question and i'll bet he could answer it.  We need our fans back and after this season or next, we definitely should. 

  • haven't watched the episode yet, but it's hard to imagine a 1-32 coach having a big disagreement with anybody about whether your team is soft or not. I know there's multiple variances why we're 1-32. I don't think the Browns are poosies by any stretch, these kids played hard for most of last year...they just sucked. But to a certain extent you have to acknowledge a 1-32 team has some issues with being soft. Maybe not physically so much but mentally for sure. If that's not dawning on Hue in year 3....well......I've also given him a lot of leash but that comes to a decisive end this year if the team still plays like it has for 2 years. 

  • Finally, I got to watch it after surfing for a while (420p but I'll take it). It was an entertaining episode, but apart from Landry being a blessing to the team, I sensed that not much action was going. 

    I know that they have limited contact training and they had to focus on Hue's family plotline, but I want to see some fights, some fire. There are 90 players in the roster, only 53 staying by the end of the month, on a 1-31 team. That should push each one to their limit. 

    Good to hear about Josh Gordon. 

    Funny thing: Mayfield starts the episode introducing the RV and saying that ''in other teams rookies get the drinks to the vets and all that... Not here''. 30 minutes later on the episode, 4th string rookie Quaterback is buying and filling the snacks for the rest of the QBs, lol. 

    @nero said:

    Finally, I got to watch it after surfing for a while (420p but I'll take it). It was an entertaining episode, but apart from Landry being a blessing to the team, I sensed that not much action was going. 

    I know that they have limited contact training and they had to focus on Hue's family plotline, but I want to see some fights, some fire. There are 90 players in the roster, only 53 staying by the end of the month, on a 1-31 team. That should push each one to their limit. 

    Good to hear about Josh Gordon. 

    Funny thing: Mayfield starts the episode introducing the RV and saying that ''in other teams rookies get the drinks to the vets and all that... Not here''. 30 minutes later on the episode, 4th string rookie Quaterback is buying and filling the snacks for the rest of the QBs, lol. 

    Nero, you will see more fights as the show progresses.  I think the players knew they were on TV and just need it to settle in.  

  • sydS syd

    hue said if I am not mistaken that only the final 53 will earn their stripes,,,,,so on thursrday night are we going to be playing in just orange helmets ? 

    @syd said:

    hue said if I am not mistaken that only the final 53 will earn their stripes,,,,,so on thursrday night are we going to be playing in just orange helmets ? 

    Good question!  Though, maybe he means that they will earn them to wear at practice.

    I wonder if NFL rules allows for different  (experimental?)  uniform/helmet variations for the preseason that would not apply to the regular season. I don't see why not, especially where a team may want to gauge how different looks go over.

  • I though Hue and the OC were going to get into an argument, but the OC let up.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I though Hue and the OC were going to get into an argument, but the OC let up.

    or did Haley swallow his canary in the end, cause those camera's were in the room? ? 

  • Anyone spot Coleman laying on the floor?

    Little wonder they shipped his azz to another team for a 6 pack.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I though Hue and the OC were going to get into an argument, but the OC let up.

    or did Haley swallow his canary in the end, cause those camera's were in the room? ? 

    @gumby73 said:

    or did Haley swallow his canary in the end, cause those camera's were in the room? ? 

    You can tell Haley grew as a coach under Parcells.

    The big tuna wouldn’t tolerate soft players.

  • @syd said:

    hue said if I am not mistaken that only the final 53 will earn their stripes,,,,,so on thursrday night are we going to be playing in just orange helmets ? 

    Good question!  Though, maybe he means that they will earn them to wear at practice.

    I wonder if NFL rules allows for different  (experimental?)  uniform/helmet variations for the preseason that would not apply to the regular season. I don't see why not, especially where a team may want to gauge how different looks go over.

    @the-gipper said:

    Good question!  Though, maybe he means that they will earn them to wear at practice.

    I wonder if NFL rules allows for different  (experimental?)  uniform/helmet variations for the preseason that would not apply to the regular season. I don't see why not, especially where a team may want to gauge how different looks go over.

    put the ELF on the helmet

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I though Hue and the OC were going to get into an argument, but the OC let up.

    or did Haley swallow his canary in the end, cause those camera's were in the room? ? 

    @gumby73 said:

    or did Haley swallow his canary in the end, cause those camera's were in the room? ? 

    I think he did.

  • @kvoethe said:

    Just added HBO for a month...15 bux for a month...get me thru 

    Me too K!  I added it for 9 and change on DirecTV. 

    I really enjoyed the 1st episode.  I don't know what I'm celebrating most about Jarvis Landry - talent, work ethic or brains.  I'll take all 3.  That's about as close to walking on water as it gets from the WR position in Cleveland. No wonder why he uses the term "Blessed". 

    @flugel said:

    Me too K!  I added it for 9 and change on DirecTV. 

    I really enjoyed the 1st episode.  I don't know what I'm celebrating most about Jarvis Landry - talent, work ethic or brains.  I'll take all 3.  That's about as close to walking on water as it gets from the WR position in Cleveland. No wonder why he uses the term "Blessed". 

    I've got a confession... Bless'em then~

  • @gumby73 said:

    or did Haley swallow his canary in the end, cause those camera's were in the room? ? 

    You can tell Haley grew as a coach under Parcells.

    The big tuna wouldn’t tolerate soft players.

    @canton-dawg said:

    You can tell Haley grew as a coach under Parcells.

    The big tuna wouldn’t tolerate soft players.

    This may have been why Coleman was cut/traded. There WAS a reason for it. I just don't know what it was exactly. You don't cut a 1st rounder going into is 3rd year when he's finally healthy enough to get a gauge on. So far as Hue has always said, Corey was a playmaker and he just needed to be healthy. Something happened. Between the OC Haley bringing that up in the meeting and Landry's rant- maybe they were directed towards Coleman and a message was sent before that Sheet becomes contagious. ??? I don't know, but you could have gotten a 7th rounder outta nearly any team AFTER the Pre-Season. Money is NOT an issue so it has to be something else. 1-31 Teams turn over EVERY STONE. 

    *- The Haley discussion I believe was regarding Duke Johnson and his susceptibility to hamstring pulls is what the reference I was getting from Hue. It could also related to Coleman I guess, and maybe Duke gets the message indirectly from Haley that it's time to pick it up, maybe it's to multiple players. That Sheet's contagious as Shmuck.

    - It's weird to hear the players curse. We're all just people, tryna make some paper just to pay for dinner later. 

  • Anyone spot Coleman laying on the floor?

    Little wonder they shipped his azz to another team for a 6 pack.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Anyone spot Coleman laying on the floor?

    Little wonder they shipped his azz to another team for a 6 pack.

    fuk maybe a tallboy of schlitz

  • Well, Landry explained why HE is so good.  And Todd Haley asked how he was supposed to get his offense learned and synced when guys are getting days off.   - At least a couple of guys 'get it'.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    And you can watch it on HBO on demand anytime.

    I have HBO Now.....but could not get the program live.    Not sure why.  Maybe I can get it on rerun (on demand?).....

    I could get a bunch of features on something called Browns Desktop (or the like)....but they were not the Hard Knocks program.

    @the-gipper said:

    I have HBO Now.....but could not get the program live.    Not sure why.  Maybe I can get it on rerun (on demand?).....

    I could get a bunch of features on something called Browns Desktop (or the like)....but they were not the Hard Knocks program.

    From HBO schedule, click on Hard Knocks at scheduled time or hit next week(s) for future showings:

    TV-MA|58 MIN|2018|HD
    Adult Language
    Enthusiasm is building for the 2018 Cleveland Browns. As training camp begins, all eyes are on QB Baker Mayfield, the NFL's number one overall draft pick and future of the franchise. General manager John Dorsey and head coach Hue Jackson welcome a new batch of veteran acquisitions, including former Buffalo Bills Pro Bowl QB Tyrod Taylor and outspoken receiver Jarvis Landry, who led the NFL in catches with the Miami Dolphins last season. Evaluations begin as 90 players vie for 53 coveted spots on the starting roster.
    TELEVISION 
    SEE LESS
    • Tue, Aug 7   10:00 pm ETHBO
    • Tue, Aug 710:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    •  
    • Wed, Aug 8    2:00 am ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 8    6:30 pm ETHBO
    • Wed, Aug 86:30 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 8    8:30 pm ETHBO2
    •  
    • Thu, Aug 9     1:00 am ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 91:35 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Thu, Aug 9     12:30 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 912:30 pm ETHBO LATINO
    ON DEMAND
    Available Wed, Aug 8
    STREAMING
    Available Tue, Aug 7 at 10:00pm ET on HBO GO and HBO NOW
  • Going throw in a few impression/ thoughts and questions based on mullings over last nite's viewing before I take in the thread....

    I plan to watch the episode again.

    Impressions/ Thoughts:

    • Loved the stripes coming off... will we appear stripeless Thursday nite?
    • Haley and Hue are going to have issues.
    • Appears we have leaders on both sides of the ball: Landry and Kirk.
    • Note to Higgins and the other WRs not named Landry... LESS ADMIRATION! MORE EMULATION!!
    • Greg Williams is one funny sumbitch... but seems to will himself to be an a$$. Kinda artificial...
    • The above seems to come naturally to Haley.
    • Hue is soft.
    • Chuckled at the contrast between Baker's arrival and Chubb's...
    • The mass Lake Erie plunge was lame bordering on gay.
    • Good to hear Myles is still working with BRUCE! But Willie wouldn't be a bad teach either...
    • Bito's rockin' the JT beard... now just rock his position.

    Questions:

    • Is the HC "chair" really that different? Aren't Coordinators impacted by players who are not available?
    • Is having a leader on O other than the QB a good thing?
    • Is Jarvis going to be our only decent WR? Only decent receiver period? (At least until Duke is used more at the position.)
    • 10% interest? Where does Nassib do his banking?