5 Observations from "The Tie"
-
#1) First and foremost, the top reason I feel optimistic about this team AFTER this game is the fact that they were down 21-7 almost halfway through the 4th quarter, and they just turned it over on downs. At this point, if your a Browns fan, you'd be lying if you didn't think this game was over, and had the same feeling we've all had countless times over the past two decades. Yet this team didn't quit. They buckled down and gave us 7 1/2 minutes of football we all should be proud of. Regardless the outcome, that was not what we are all accustomed to. I was expecting a 31 or 35 to 7 final score at that point. Just being honest.
#2) The O-Line is a work in progress... to put it nicely. The false starts on Harrison stood out, but overall he played like you'd expect from a talented rookie in his first NFL game. My biggest concern is Hubbard. Watt had 4 sacks, granted not all of them were on Hubbard, but overall I didn't think he looked very good. Surprised he was given that RT spot from day 1, especially with all of Hue's talk of "earning" the job. Hopefully, this group gets better because 7 sacks is just unacceptable.
#3) Less worried about Tyrod's poor performance than Haley's, and also Njoku. First Haley, no attempt to establish the run early (10 of first 11 plays were passes), and some shotty play-calling throughout. Despite the national praise he gets, if you talk to Steelers fans they were not very sad to see him go. Second, Njoku had 2 big drops. This cannot continue if he's going to have a breakout year, which we really need from him. Time to focus. As far as QB, I'll allow some slack due to the weather. TT's QBR/Rating was 42.6/51.8, while pro bowler Ben's was 22.8/60.5. I look forward to seeing Taylor play in the dome next week, no excuses.
#4) Defensive playmaking was outstanding. It's early, but it looks like they got 2 first round picks right for a change in Garrett and Ward. They need to shore up the run D, but overall this group looks like they have a chance to be really good. I expect them to get better as the season goes on, for a change.
#5) I hate to say it, but the team they just played was no pushover. Many "experts" are predicting the Steelers to go as far as the AFC championship. They have a good O-Line, weapons galore, and of course a QB. Their D is somewhat questionable, but they have a few playmakers on that side of the ball as well. We didn't pull off the W, but it sure was one hell of a game, sloppy albeit.
. . .if you talk to Steelers fans they were not very sad to see him go. . . .
As a Steelers fan, I was not sad to see him go coz it's Ben's offense now and he has the maturity and experience to run it. The reality is that PIT scored more points with Haley then they ever had in 84 years of being at team. PIT is still running the Todd Haley offense. Haley is a bit of an aśshole and he piśsed several people off so he got non-renewed for being a díck. He is a Pittsburgher, so it should be no surprise to yinz that he is an aśshole and a díck. We all are.
Yinz would be much better off with Haley as the Head Coach (HC), as the general impression that Hugh has made with Steelers insiders is that his team lacks discipline and leadership at the HC position.
Jimmy Haslam, as a Steelers insider has stated that he wants the Browns organization to mirror the Steelers. A good step in that direction would be to have an aśshole from Pittsburgh as the Brown's HC.
Haley is dedicated and driven and he will be able to provide the leadership that is missing with Hugh at the controls.
Haley won 42% of his regular season games as a HC and took his team to the playoffs (1 and done.) How often have the modern Browns won 42% of their games and made the playoffs? CLE has had a winning percentage exceeding 42% four times and made the playoffs once over the past 19 seasons.
-
Well, here are the things I took away from this game.
1) Very sloppy game. Perhaps due to the wet ball, receivers had trouble hanging on to it, QBs had trouble throwing it accurately. Doesn’t explain all the penalties on both sides, though. Looked like preseason.
2) PGH should be celebrating, because any time you turn the ball over that many times and don’t lose you are very very lucky. They kept trying to give the game to the Browns and the Browns kept trying to give it right back. In the end neither side wanted it so they tied.
3) Someone on this board describes Conner as mediocre. Well, in that case a mediocre running back carried 31 times for 135 (4.35 avg) and 57 more yards on receptions, on what I think is a much improved Browns defense. PGH oline worked well and opened up holes, and I think I now get why they are not too bent out of shape over Bell holding out.
4) As I understand it, every week Bell holds out frees up almost $900,000 PGH cap space. PGH may have concluded that his main value is in the cap space he creates by NOT showing up, and the comp pick they will get when he signs elsewhere after the season. Would he be as good elsewhere without that oline?
5) Browns are a maturing team, I see 4 or 5 wins this year. Hue, Ithink, is Dead Coach Walking. Bet you two of the Krispy Kreme’s that fell behind Romeo Crennel’s desk that Haley will replace him partway through the year.
-
Well, here are the things I took away from this game.
1) Very sloppy game. Perhaps due to the wet ball, receivers had trouble hanging on to it, QBs had trouble throwing it accurately. Doesn’t explain all the penalties on both sides, though. Looked like preseason.
2) PGH should be celebrating, because any time you turn the ball over that many times and don’t lose you are very very lucky. They kept trying to give the game to the Browns and the Browns kept trying to give it right back. In the end neither side wanted it so they tied.
3) Someone on this board describes Conner as mediocre. Well, in that case a mediocre running back carried 31 times for 135 (4.35 avg) and 57 more yards on receptions, on what I think is a much improved Browns defense. PGH oline worked well and opened up holes, and I think I now get why they are not too bent out of shape over Bell holding out.
4) As I understand it, every week Bell holds out frees up almost $900,000 PGH cap space. PGH may have concluded that his main value is in the cap space he creates by NOT showing up, and the comp pick they will get when he signs elsewhere after the season. Would he be as good elsewhere without that oline?
5) Browns are a maturing team, I see 4 or 5 wins this year. Hue, Ithink, is Dead Coach Walking. Bet you two of the Krispy Kreme’s that fell behind Romeo Crennel’s desk that Haley will replace him partway through the year.
4) As I understand it, every week Bell holds out frees up almost $900,000 PGH cap space. PGH may have concluded that his main value is in the cap space he creates by NOT showing up, and the comp pick they will get when he signs elsewhere after the season. Would he be as good elsewhere without that oline?
-
. . .if you talk to Steelers fans they were not very sad to see him go. . . .
As a Steelers fan, I was not sad to see him go coz it's Ben's offense now and he has the maturity and experience to run it. The reality is that PIT scored more points with Haley then they ever had in 84 years of being at team. PIT is still running the Todd Haley offense. Haley is a bit of an aśshole and he piśsed several people off so he got non-renewed for being a díck. He is a Pittsburgher, so it should be no surprise to yinz that he is an aśshole and a díck. We all are.
Yinz would be much better off with Haley as the Head Coach (HC), as the general impression that Hugh has made with Steelers insiders is that his team lacks discipline and leadership at the HC position.
Jimmy Haslam, as a Steelers insider has stated that he wants the Browns organization to mirror the Steelers. A good step in that direction would be to have an aśshole from Pittsburgh as the Brown's HC.
Haley is dedicated and driven and he will be able to provide the leadership that is missing with Hugh at the controls.
Haley won 42% of his regular season games as a HC and took his team to the playoffs (1 and done.) How often have the modern Browns won 42% of their games and made the playoffs? CLE has had a winning percentage exceeding 42% four times and made the playoffs once over the past 19 seasons.
As a Steelers fan, I was not sad to see him go coz it's Ben's offense now and he has the maturity and experience to run it. The reality is that PIT scored more points with Haley then they ever had in 84 years of being at team. PIT is still running the Todd Haley offense. Haley is a bit of an aśshole and he piśsed several people off so he got non-renewed for being a díck. He is a Pittsburgher, so it should be no surprise to yinz that he is an aśshole and a díck. We all are.
Yinz would be much better off with Haley as the Head Coach (HC), as the general impression that Hugh has made with Steelers insiders is that his team lacks discipline and leadership at the HC position.
Jimmy Haslam, as a Steelers insider has stated that he wants the Browns organization to mirror the Steelers. A good step in that direction would be to have an aśshole from Pittsburgh as the Brown's HC.
Haley is dedicated and driven and he will be able to provide the leadership that is missing with Hugh at the controls.
Haley won 42% of his regular season games as a HC and took his team to the playoffs (1 and done.) How often have the modern Browns won 42% of their games and made the playoffs? CLE has had a winning percentage exceeding 42% four times and made the playoffs once over the past 19 seasons.
Uh oh, I agree with a Steeler fan.
Regarding yesterday's game, I'll take the tie. Down 21-7, it didn't look good at all. Plus, in my office pool I have a 9-6-1 prediction, so I'm in the driver's seat lol.
On to NO. Let's hope the o line play improves, and we hang in there with a chance for an upset.
-
Some shìtty team with a shìtty O-line will pay Bell way too much money and he will become an average running back.
-
. . .if you talk to Steelers fans they were not very sad to see him go. . . .
As a Steelers fan, I was not sad to see him go coz it's Ben's offense now and he has the maturity and experience to run it. The reality is that PIT scored more points with Haley then they ever had in 84 years of being at team. PIT is still running the Todd Haley offense. Haley is a bit of an aśshole and he piśsed several people off so he got non-renewed for being a díck. He is a Pittsburgher, so it should be no surprise to yinz that he is an aśshole and a díck. We all are.
Yinz would be much better off with Haley as the Head Coach (HC), as the general impression that Hugh has made with Steelers insiders is that his team lacks discipline and leadership at the HC position.
Jimmy Haslam, as a Steelers insider has stated that he wants the Browns organization to mirror the Steelers. A good step in that direction would be to have an aśshole from Pittsburgh as the Brown's HC.
Haley is dedicated and driven and he will be able to provide the leadership that is missing with Hugh at the controls.
Haley won 42% of his regular season games as a HC and took his team to the playoffs (1 and done.) How often have the modern Browns won 42% of their games and made the playoffs? CLE has had a winning percentage exceeding 42% four times and made the playoffs once over the past 19 seasons.
He is a Pittsburgher, so it should be no surprise to yinz that he is an aśshole and a díck. We all are.
Highlighting the part that produced my laughter...
Gotta love good, self-deprecating humor.
-
Yeh, I have fun with it. I have been here for seven years now. This is how I lasted so long.
-
Yeh, I have fun with it. I have been here for seven years now. This is how I lasted so long.
Yeh, I have fun with it. I have been here for seven years now. This is how I lasted so long.
That ...and you tend to talk football and not get into insult trading.
-
I'll keep it simple. Defense balled out but we gotta review run schemes. Tia did a great job breaking it down real time, but on a lot of runs our guys were just too far up field. That's a scheme issue more than player issue, at least IMO.
The reason we tied falls about 90%, on Tyrod Taylor, 10% scheme. I don't expect a 70% completion 3 TD game but Taylor was just missing throws left and right. Gordon late 4th quarter had a step, all you gotta do is at least keep that ball in stride and I trust Flash to get it. The 10% comes for me anyway in that I was baffled we weren't throwing more underneath stuff. I'd guess 17-20 throws were those jump balls which clearly weren't working out (save 3 great catches). I'm a Tyrod defender, but even a below average game from him and we win. I'll give him another game or two to figure this out, but he's got a dome game this week. No excuses not to move the ball.
I'd point out that on several sacks the pocket was clean enough as well. Tyrod was bailing early and taking so called "coverage sacks". However, I find it hard to believe our guys weren't open on most of those, or at least open enough to throw the dang ball.
-
You can't make this stuff up:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/josh-gordon-wasnt-supposed-start-week-1-browns-screwed-224644231.html
You can't make this stuff up:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/josh-gordon-wasnt-supposed-start-week-1-browns-screwed-224644231.html
Another Hue Jackson special.
My wife and my daughter now both work with children who are "special". Maybe we can give a family discount to help out Hue.
-
Here is my tale on the tie:
I watched the game with WSS until about the middle of the 3rd qtr. Score was 21-7. But I was feeling really sick (not from the game, but you know, actually ill...WSS can tell you). So I went home and took some drugs and fell asleep, believing that this was just going to be another Browns disaster of a game. But, when I woke up a couple of hours later, I turned on the late game, which was at about halftime.....and the scroll came across that the game ended in a freaking tie! I thought WTF!! I actually was very happy at the outcome. It almost felt like a win to me.
So, look at it from that perspective: if you had fallen asleep believing they were going to get another butt stomping, but you find the game ends in a tie when you wake up.....you would feel pretty good. Only after I saw the highlights etc. and saw how they should have won the game was that tempered a bit, but not much.
-
Here is my tale on the tie:
I watched the game with WSS until about the middle of the 3rd qtr. Score was 21-7. But I was feeling really sick (not from the game, but you know, actually ill...WSS can tell you). So I went home and took some drugs and fell asleep, believing that this was just going to be another Browns disaster of a game. But, when I woke up a couple of hours later, I turned on the late game, which was at about halftime.....and the scroll came across that the game ended in a freaking tie! I thought WTF!! I actually was very happy at the outcome. It almost felt like a win to me.
So, look at it from that perspective: if you had fallen asleep believing they were going to get another butt stomping, but you find the game ends in a tie when you wake up.....you would feel pretty good. Only after I saw the highlights etc. and saw how they should have won the game was that tempered a bit, but not much.
So, look at it from that perspective: if you had fallen asleep believing they were going to get another butt stomping, but you find the game ends in a tie when you wake up.....you would feel pretty good. Only after I saw the highlights etc. and saw how they should have won the game was that tempered a bit, but not much.
That's how I feel. At 21-7 I figured it was pretty much over and was ready to switch over to the red zone channel and watch some good football and forget about the Browns game but I stayed with it and although, yes the Browns should've won in OT (got to make that kick), the Squeelers should've won the game before that (he's got to make that kick too) so all in all, it's not a loss and I was impressed by the comeback and the fact that the defense held them to 21. At 21-7, I wouldn't have been shocked to see the game end up 37-14 or some other such blowout score. Saints this week and the Jets the next will show a lot more to me about how good or bad this team is or can be this season. Remember last opening day, the game with Pittspuke was close as well and that didn't exactly translate into a successful season.
-
Landry was overused (like he was in Miami and didnt equal wins) and our best players on offense Duke and Gordon were underused
Landry was overused (like he was in Miami and didnt equal wins) and our best players on offense Duke and Gordon were underused
Landry was one of the primary reasons we tied the game... Stan commented that Gordon wasn't getting separation most of the game. Even the TD catch involved some pure athleticism to make the catch- he was covered pretty well.
Tyrod is supposed to be the "safe" QB who makes good decisions with the ball, but can also dial up a few passes when needed..
That last drive in regulation, idk what the fuk he was thinking! That INT he threw was costly.. We were going down the field, about to score..
We could of ran some inside slants or comeback routes, but noooo lets let TT throw up a fuking duck like that...
HE was not impressive.. Outside of his ability to run, he is mediocre at best..Mostly in reply to Tour. I didn't feel it was all that windy. But in the 4th quarter the rain really picked up. That pass to Higgins was badly under thrown, another 3-5 yards of air under it, Higgins has a TD. Taylor had a slew of really bad throws besides that one- I hope it was just the conditions. Don't forget Ben had those off target passes that got picked too.
-
So, look at it from that perspective: if you had fallen asleep believing they were going to get another butt stomping, but you find the game ends in a tie when you wake up.....you would feel pretty good. Only after I saw the highlights etc. and saw how they should have won the game was that tempered a bit, but not much.
That's how I feel. At 21-7 I figured it was pretty much over and was ready to switch over to the red zone channel and watch some good football and forget about the Browns game but I stayed with it and although, yes the Browns should've won in OT (got to make that kick), the Squeelers should've won the game before that (he's got to make that kick too) so all in all, it's not a loss and I was impressed by the comeback and the fact that the defense held them to 21. At 21-7, I wouldn't have been shocked to see the game end up 37-14 or some other such blowout score. Saints this week and the Jets the next will show a lot more to me about how good or bad this team is or can be this season. Remember last opening day, the game with Pittspuke was close as well and that didn't exactly translate into a successful season.
That's how I feel. At 21-7 I figured it was pretty much over and was ready to switch over to the red zone channel and watch some good football and forget about the Browns game but I stayed with it and although, yes the Browns should've won in OT (got to make that kick), the Squeelers should've won the game before that (he's got to make that kick too) so all in all, it's not a loss and I was impressed by the comeback and the fact that the defense held them to 21. At 21-7, I wouldn't have been shocked to see the game end up 37-14 or some other such blowout score. Saints this week and the Jets the next will show a lot more to me about how good or bad this team is or can be this season. Remember last opening day, the game with Pittspuke was close as well and that didn't exactly translate into a successful season.
One man's play infected the whole team that last quarter. Myles Garrett had said before the game that it's the 4th quarter that separates good play from great play. The whole team fed off his 4th Q play.
-
Here is my tale on the tie:
I watched the game with WSS until about the middle of the 3rd qtr. Score was 21-7. But I was feeling really sick (not from the game, but you know, actually ill...WSS can tell you). So I went home and took some drugs and fell asleep, believing that this was just going to be another Browns disaster of a game. But, when I woke up a couple of hours later, I turned on the late game, which was at about halftime.....and the scroll came across that the game ended in a freaking tie! I thought WTF!! I actually was very happy at the outcome. It almost felt like a win to me.
So, look at it from that perspective: if you had fallen asleep believing they were going to get another butt stomping, but you find the game ends in a tie when you wake up.....you would feel pretty good. Only after I saw the highlights etc. and saw how they should have won the game was that tempered a bit, but not much.
Here is my tale on the tie:
I watched the game with WSS until about the middle of the 3rd qtr. Score was 21-7. But I was feeling really sick (not from the game, but you know, actually ill...WSS can tell you). So I went home and took some drugs and fell asleep, believing that this was just going to be another Browns disaster of a game. But, when I woke up a couple of hours later, I turned on the late game, which was at about halftime.....and the scroll came across that the game ended in a freaking tie! I thought WTF!! I actually was very happy at the outcome. It almost felt like a win to me.
So, look at it from that perspective: if you had fallen asleep believing they were going to get another butt stomping, but you find the game ends in a tie when you wake up.....you would feel pretty good. Only after I saw the highlights etc. and saw how they should have won the game was that tempered a bit, but not much.
I well remember napping off for a good portion of the Bills- Houston playoff game when down (OK, I had to look- 28-3 at halftime) Frank Reich pulled off the greatest comeback in NFL history. Woke up in the 4th quarter and holy sh-it, the Bills have a chance.
-
So, look at it from that perspective: if you had fallen asleep believing they were going to get another butt stomping, but you find the game ends in a tie when you wake up.....you would feel pretty good. Only after I saw the highlights etc. and saw how they should have won the game was that tempered a bit, but not much.
That's how I feel. At 21-7 I figured it was pretty much over and was ready to switch over to the red zone channel and watch some good football and forget about the Browns game but I stayed with it and although, yes the Browns should've won in OT (got to make that kick), the Squeelers should've won the game before that (he's got to make that kick too) so all in all, it's not a loss and I was impressed by the comeback and the fact that the defense held them to 21. At 21-7, I wouldn't have been shocked to see the game end up 37-14 or some other such blowout score. Saints this week and the Jets the next will show a lot more to me about how good or bad this team is or can be this season. Remember last opening day, the game with Pittspuke was close as well and that didn't exactly translate into a successful season.
That's how I feel. At 21-7 I figured it was pretty much over and was ready to switch over to the red zone channel and watch some good football and forget about the Browns game but I stayed with it and although, yes the Browns should've won in OT (got to make that kick), the Squeelers should've won the game before that (he's got to make that kick too) so all in all, it's not a loss and I was impressed by the comeback and the fact that the defense held them to 21. At 21-7, I wouldn't have been shocked to see the game end up 37-14 or some other such blowout score. Saints this week and the Jets the next will show a lot more to me about how good or bad this team is or can be this season. Remember last opening day, the game with Pittspuke was close as well and that didn't exactly translate into a successful season.
We'll have a better idea where the Browns are this coming Sunday Mark. Indoor conditions- and the Saints are going to be in a foul mood blowing that game to the Bucs. As one guy commented- at least 25% of the Survivor pools got blown up after that upset.
-
That's how I feel. At 21-7 I figured it was pretty much over and was ready to switch over to the red zone channel and watch some good football and forget about the Browns game but I stayed with it and although, yes the Browns should've won in OT (got to make that kick), the Squeelers should've won the game before that (he's got to make that kick too) so all in all, it's not a loss and I was impressed by the comeback and the fact that the defense held them to 21. At 21-7, I wouldn't have been shocked to see the game end up 37-14 or some other such blowout score. Saints this week and the Jets the next will show a lot more to me about how good or bad this team is or can be this season. Remember last opening day, the game with Pittspuke was close as well and that didn't exactly translate into a successful season.
We'll have a better idea where the Browns are this coming Sunday Mark. Indoor conditions- and the Saints are going to be in a foul mood blowing that game to the Bucs. As one guy commented- at least 25% of the Survivor pools got blown up after that upset.
We'll have a better idea where the Browns are this coming Sunday Mark. Indoor conditions- and the Saints are going to be in a foul mood blowing that game to the Bucs. As one guy commented- at least 25% of the Survivor pools got blown up after that upset.
Well if the Browns lose next Sunday.. I won't be surprised if the wheels start spinning and the countdown on Hue's inevitable ouster begins... Because what I saw out there still looks unorganized...
-
That's how I feel. At 21-7 I figured it was pretty much over and was ready to switch over to the red zone channel and watch some good football and forget about the Browns game but I stayed with it and although, yes the Browns should've won in OT (got to make that kick), the Squeelers should've won the game before that (he's got to make that kick too) so all in all, it's not a loss and I was impressed by the comeback and the fact that the defense held them to 21. At 21-7, I wouldn't have been shocked to see the game end up 37-14 or some other such blowout score. Saints this week and the Jets the next will show a lot more to me about how good or bad this team is or can be this season. Remember last opening day, the game with Pittspuke was close as well and that didn't exactly translate into a successful season.
We'll have a better idea where the Browns are this coming Sunday Mark. Indoor conditions- and the Saints are going to be in a foul mood blowing that game to the Bucs. As one guy commented- at least 25% of the Survivor pools got blown up after that upset.
We'll have a better idea where the Browns are this coming Sunday Mark. Indoor conditions- and the Saints are going to be in a foul mood blowing that game to the Bucs. As one guy commented- at least 25% of the Survivor pools got blown up after that upset.
I agree. Saints offense is still great but man that defense blows. 48 to the Bucs?? That's just not good at all.
-
We would have won the game without all the offsides and procedure penalties. Thankscoach!
We would have won the game without all the offsides and procedure penalties. Thankscoach!
Can you remind me on which play Hue was called offsides?? Perhaps the rain was in my eyes......
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login