It's Official: The Refs Screwed the Browns
-
They somehow missed the ball bouncing off our guy's head, even with 4 replay angles. Without that, I'd say you're right. But they messed up on both sides, so can't blame them.
Garrett also didn't have to crunch Ben as hard as he did. He was running FULL SPEED right at Ben, so Garrett HAD to know Ben was either going to throw it or tuck it away and get sacked. Either way, there's absolutely NO BENEFIT of crunching him that hard. None. Garrett launched himself like a missile, and while I agree, it was completely legal, everyone on earth knows the NFL is trying to protect their QB's. Garrett could've run as fast as he was, and just wrapped him up instead. But he didn't.
Actually he did wrap him up and then released his R hand and arm to place it on the ground to hold off his weight from BB. It was purely a bad call. The ref was in the perfect position to see that arm and hand go out to the ground in an effort to not pile him into the ground. Even Ben understood what Garrett did. Ths was not a Suh piledriver.
Actually he did wrap him up and then released his R hand and arm to place it on the ground to hold off his weight from BB. It was purely a bad call. The ref was in the perfect position to see that arm and hand go out to the ground in an effort to not pile him into the ground. Even Ben understood what Garrett did.
Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it. I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.
-
Actually he did wrap him up and then released his R hand and arm to place it on the ground to hold off his weight from BB. It was purely a bad call. The ref was in the perfect position to see that arm and hand go out to the ground in an effort to not pile him into the ground. Even Ben understood what Garrett did.
Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it. I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.
Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it. I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.
However if he had tried to stop his momentum and failed, it would have been called as a late hit on the QB. You have to realize that Garrett is as fast as most NFL RBs. It takes a lot to slow down 270+ lbs going that fast.
EDIT: BTW it's not his athleticism, power or moves that surprises most opponents, it's his Mom and sister's championship track speed. Every time he puts on the jets to get someone running away from him I get surprised and I've been watching him for several years. It's also why I knew we had not seen him 100% since the ARK game his Jr year when he got that first high ankle sprain. He said after the Pitt game that this is the first time he felt he was back to that level since that injury.
-
Wrapping up a QB and going to the ground is one of the roughing triggers.
I saw a ground-level replay yesterday from an angle behind MG... showed clearly that he did not land squarely on Ben, but only with his left side. And as said above MG extended his right arm to soften his landing. IIRC the ref that threw the flag was the ref to the left of the action. He simply had a bad angle to see the reduced impact going to the ground.
-
Wrapping up a QB and going to the ground is one of the roughing triggers.
I saw a ground-level replay yesterday from an angle behind MG... showed clearly that he did not land squarely on Ben, but only with his left side. And as said above MG extended his right arm to soften his landing. IIRC the ref that threw the flag was the ref to the left of the action. He simply had a bad angle to see the reduced impact going to the ground.
Wrapping up a QB and going to the ground is one of the roughing triggers.
I saw a ground-level replay yesterday from an angle behind MG... showed clearly that he did not land squarely on Ben, but only with his left side. And as said above MG extended his right arm to soften his landing. IIRC the ref that threw the flag was the ref to the left of the action. He simply had a bad angle to see the reduced impact going to the ground.
Which means one of the other refs needs to step in or make penalties reviewable. There was a roughing call in the game last night that was even more laughable. Ravens defender simply 2 hand pushed Dalton after a pass, Dalton went down...ref threw a flag for roughing the QB. Totally ridiculous. Let the coaches challenge those calls...let the dude in the league office who reviews plays look at it and say yes or no if it's a penalty. Wouldn't slow the game down any at all, should take about a minute or two, then you won't have the league saying after the fact that something should or shouldn't have been a penalty.
-
Wrapping up a QB and going to the ground is one of the roughing triggers.
I saw a ground-level replay yesterday from an angle behind MG... showed clearly that he did not land squarely on Ben, but only with his left side. And as said above MG extended his right arm to soften his landing. IIRC the ref that threw the flag was the ref to the left of the action. He simply had a bad angle to see the reduced impact going to the ground.
Which means one of the other refs needs to step in or make penalties reviewable. There was a roughing call in the game last night that was even more laughable. Ravens defender simply 2 hand pushed Dalton after a pass, Dalton went down...ref threw a flag for roughing the QB. Totally ridiculous. Let the coaches challenge those calls...let the dude in the league office who reviews plays look at it and say yes or no if it's a penalty. Wouldn't slow the game down any at all, should take about a minute or two, then you won't have the league saying after the fact that something should or shouldn't have been a penalty.
Which means one of the other refs needs to step in or make penalties reviewable. There was a roughing call in the game last night that was even more laughable. Ravens defender simply 2 hand pushed Dalton after a pass, Dalton went down...ref threw a flag for roughing the QB. Totally ridiculous. Let the coaches challenge those calls...let the dude in the league office who reviews plays look at it and say yes or no if it's a penalty. Wouldn't slow the game down any at all, should take about a minute or two, then you won't have the league saying after the fact that something should or shouldn't have been a penalty.
Saw that... IMO the DE knew full well that the ball and the push was so late, that the flag was warranted. As the "Official" serving as the rules expert (that broadcasts need a "rules expert" says something in and of itself) said... the call leaned heavily on the unnecessary part of Unnecessary Roughness.
That said then the "expert" proceeded to question about every call from then on. Some, especially the Cinci DB holding/ interference call were laughable. If Officials exercised that degree of discretion he was advocating, then the league is truly fukced.
-
Wrapping up a QB and going to the ground is one of the roughing triggers.
I saw a ground-level replay yesterday from an angle behind MG... showed clearly that he did not land squarely on Ben, but only with his left side. And as said above MG extended his right arm to soften his landing. IIRC the ref that threw the flag was the ref to the left of the action. He simply had a bad angle to see the reduced impact going to the ground.
Which means one of the other refs needs to step in or make penalties reviewable. There was a roughing call in the game last night that was even more laughable. Ravens defender simply 2 hand pushed Dalton after a pass, Dalton went down...ref threw a flag for roughing the QB. Totally ridiculous. Let the coaches challenge those calls...let the dude in the league office who reviews plays look at it and say yes or no if it's a penalty. Wouldn't slow the game down any at all, should take about a minute or two, then you won't have the league saying after the fact that something should or shouldn't have been a penalty.
Which means one of the other refs needs to step in or make penalties reviewable. There was a roughing call in the game last night that was even more laughable. Ravens defender simply 2 hand pushed Dalton after a pass, Dalton went down...ref threw a flag for roughing the QB. Totally ridiculous. Let the coaches challenge those calls...let the dude in the league office who reviews plays look at it and say yes or no if it's a penalty. Wouldn't slow the game down any at all, should take about a minute or two, then you won't have the league saying after the fact that something should or shouldn't have been a penalty.
Of course, if you allow that, then you would be opening it up for every penalty that is a judgment call to be scrutinized by replay: Holding, pass interference, block in the back, etc. etc. I guess the league would want none of that. Not sure we should want that either.
-
Which means one of the other refs needs to step in or make penalties reviewable. There was a roughing call in the game last night that was even more laughable. Ravens defender simply 2 hand pushed Dalton after a pass, Dalton went down...ref threw a flag for roughing the QB. Totally ridiculous. Let the coaches challenge those calls...let the dude in the league office who reviews plays look at it and say yes or no if it's a penalty. Wouldn't slow the game down any at all, should take about a minute or two, then you won't have the league saying after the fact that something should or shouldn't have been a penalty.
Of course, if you allow that, then you would be opening it up for every penalty that is a judgment call to be scrutinized by replay: Holding, pass interference, block in the back, etc. etc. I guess the league would want none of that. Not sure we should want that either.
Of course, if you allow that, then you would be opening it up for every penalty that is a judgment call to be scrutinized by replay: Holding, pass interference, block in the back, etc. etc. I guess the league would want none of that. Not sure we should want that either.
Just give the coaches an extra challenge...and sure...can challenge any call since bascially every call is a judgement call anyways. Penalty on a big play, like the 3rd down roughing call, throw the challenge flag and let the NFL office decide if its the right call or not. If the whole point of having replay is to get the calls right, then why not use it to get everything right, not just the plays that are "reviewable".
-
Of course, if you allow that, then you would be opening it up for every penalty that is a judgment call to be scrutinized by replay: Holding, pass interference, block in the back, etc. etc. I guess the league would want none of that. Not sure we should want that either.
Just give the coaches an extra challenge...and sure...can challenge any call since bascially every call is a judgement call anyways. Penalty on a big play, like the 3rd down roughing call, throw the challenge flag and let the NFL office decide if its the right call or not. If the whole point of having replay is to get the calls right, then why not use it to get everything right, not just the plays that are "reviewable".
Just give the coaches an extra challenge...and sure...can challenge any call since bascially every call is a judgement call anyways. Penalty on a big play, like the 3rd down roughing call, throw the challenge flag and let the NFL office decide if its the right call or not. If the whole point of having replay is to get the calls right, then why not use it to get everything right, not just the plays that are "reviewable".
Fair enough I guess. What about those last two minutes, which now are all booth reviews?
-
Just give the coaches an extra challenge...and sure...can challenge any call since bascially every call is a judgement call anyways. Penalty on a big play, like the 3rd down roughing call, throw the challenge flag and let the NFL office decide if its the right call or not. If the whole point of having replay is to get the calls right, then why not use it to get everything right, not just the plays that are "reviewable".
Fair enough I guess. What about those last two minutes, which now are all booth reviews?
Fair enough I guess. What about those last two minutes, which now are all booth reviews?
I guess make it the same thing. I don't know. I'm sure it can be worked out.
-
Fair enough I guess. What about those last two minutes, which now are all booth reviews?
I guess make it the same thing. I don't know. I'm sure it can be worked out.
-
-
Actually he did wrap him up and then released his R hand and arm to place it on the ground to hold off his weight from BB. It was purely a bad call. The ref was in the perfect position to see that arm and hand go out to the ground in an effort to not pile him into the ground. Even Ben understood what Garrett did.
Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it. I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.
Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it. I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.
And what happens when Ben (who is as big or bigger than most NFL linebackers) just bounces off and gets a big play?
Of course, if you allow that, then you would be opening it up for every penalty that is a judgment call to be scrutinized by replay: Holding, pass interference, block in the back, etc. etc. I guess the league would want none of that. Not sure we should want that either.
The bad calls evened out in that game. Gordon said- and I totally agree, think even the NFL office said Haden clearly interfered with him in the end zone. Talk about a game changing no-call. Would have been Browns ball at the one.
-
Actually he did wrap him up and then released his R hand and arm to place it on the ground to hold off his weight from BB. It was purely a bad call. The ref was in the perfect position to see that arm and hand go out to the ground in an effort to not pile him into the ground. Even Ben understood what Garrett did.
Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it. I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.
Oh I know it was a bad call, I'm just saying Garrett could've avoided it. I really think he could've pulled up a bit and not drill him as hard.
No chance. If Garrett plays that way he might as well just stick to pass coverage.
The whole pansy as s rule change is BS. NFL just having a knee jerk reaction to Aaron Rodgers getting hurt last year.
-
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login