Skip to content

Some thoughts (Browns at Raiders)

The Browns Board
51 27 1.3k 2
  • OK. It's 2:24 AM, gotta wake up in less than 5 hours, but this game got me angry, so let's use my energy in something useful.

    I liked: 

    - Myles Garrett. When he's not stacking up sacks, he's blocking the run and is a nightmare. 

    - Ward. If you have a corner that Derek Carr and Amari Cooper prefer not to challenge, that's something to cheer about. 

    - Pressure: Overall, Carr was far from comfortable for most of the game. Maybe he didn't get sack as much, but he had many times a lot of pressure and little space. 

    - Ground attack: We're getting better and Chubb shows some promise with those 2 long runs. Hyde is perfect for the 3-4 yard gains. 

    - Baker Mayfield: He is a leader, has a lot of fire and brings a lot of energy, along with some intelligence and maybe a bit of ''it factor''. It's going to be amazing if he keeps improving (which I think he will). 

    I didn't like: 

    - Let's say the easy one first: The refs. I never like to complain about them but they made some wtf calls. 

    - DROPS: Man, we cannot miss those balls. It doesn't help our rookie QB.

    - Both Mayfield 'let's try this one'. Still, he's a rookie so no surprise here. Let's hope he knows when to take risks and not play a deep ball to a 1 on 1 when the game doesn't ask for it (3rd downs and with the game at stake). I think this is worse than the fumbles, which I think are easy to correct. 

    - Run Defense: Lynch averaged 123 ypc. He's good, but not that good. 

    - ST: We don't return anything, we don't cover anything. Every punt/kick off I'm just wishing it ends as fast as possible. 

    - Under zone pass defense: Tight ends and big receivers kills us. At this matches, I expect people like Peppers who play close to the box to stand up at least scaring them out of the middle, but we don't. 

    - Last but not least: We still don't know how to win. We held 3 teams (2 of them with very good offenses) to under 21 points. Now that we score 42, they still outscore us. We cannot lose 14 point leads, play afraid, go for a 2 point conversion when you're ahead in a 1st quater (what was that for?). We need to get games closed, seize the turnovers, don't suffer them and keep grinding. 

    This team is not a 1-2-1 team. A few things here and there, and we would be 4-0 EASILY. It can be frustrating (for me, at this very moment after a L, it is), but let's hope we keep getting better. 

    Go Browns! 

  • OK. It's 2:24 AM, gotta wake up in less than 5 hours, but this game got me angry, so let's use my energy in something useful.

    I liked: 

    - Myles Garrett. When he's not stacking up sacks, he's blocking the run and is a nightmare. 

    - Ward. If you have a corner that Derek Carr and Amari Cooper prefer not to challenge, that's something to cheer about. 

    - Pressure: Overall, Carr was far from comfortable for most of the game. Maybe he didn't get sack as much, but he had many times a lot of pressure and little space. 

    - Ground attack: We're getting better and Chubb shows some promise with those 2 long runs. Hyde is perfect for the 3-4 yard gains. 

    - Baker Mayfield: He is a leader, has a lot of fire and brings a lot of energy, along with some intelligence and maybe a bit of ''it factor''. It's going to be amazing if he keeps improving (which I think he will). 

    I didn't like: 

    - Let's say the easy one first: The refs. I never like to complain about them but they made some wtf calls. 

    - DROPS: Man, we cannot miss those balls. It doesn't help our rookie QB.

    - Both Mayfield 'let's try this one'. Still, he's a rookie so no surprise here. Let's hope he knows when to take risks and not play a deep ball to a 1 on 1 when the game doesn't ask for it (3rd downs and with the game at stake). I think this is worse than the fumbles, which I think are easy to correct. 

    - Run Defense: Lynch averaged 123 ypc. He's good, but not that good. 

    - ST: We don't return anything, we don't cover anything. Every punt/kick off I'm just wishing it ends as fast as possible. 

    - Under zone pass defense: Tight ends and big receivers kills us. At this matches, I expect people like Peppers who play close to the box to stand up at least scaring them out of the middle, but we don't. 

    - Last but not least: We still don't know how to win. We held 3 teams (2 of them with very good offenses) to under 21 points. Now that we score 42, they still outscore us. We cannot lose 14 point leads, play afraid, go for a 2 point conversion when you're ahead in a 1st quater (what was that for?). We need to get games closed, seize the turnovers, don't suffer them and keep grinding. 

    This team is not a 1-2-1 team. A few things here and there, and we would be 4-0 EASILY. It can be frustrating (for me, at this very moment after a L, it is), but let's hope we keep getting better. 

    Go Browns! 

    @nero said:

    OK. It's 2:24 AM, gotta wake up in less than 5 hours, but this game got me angry, so let's use my energy in something useful.

    I liked: 

    - Myles Garrett. When he's not stacking up sacks, he's blocking the run and is a nightmare. 

    - Ward. If you have a corner that Derek Carr and Amari Cooper prefer not to challenge, that's something to cheer about. 

    - Pressure: Overall, Carr was far from comfortable for most of the game. Maybe he didn't get sack as much, but he had many times a lot of pressure and little space. 

    - Ground attack: We're getting better and Chubb shows some promise with those 2 long runs. Hyde is perfect for the 3-4 yard gains. 

    - Baker Mayfield: He is a leader, has a lot of fire and brings a lot of energy, along with some intelligence and maybe a bit of ''it factor''. It's going to be amazing if he keeps improving (which I think he will). 

    I didn't like: 

    - Let's say the easy one first: The refs. I never like to complain about them but they made some wtf calls. 

    - DROPS: Man, we cannot miss those balls. It doesn't help our rookie QB.

    - Both Mayfield 'let's try this one'. Still, he's a rookie so no surprise here. Let's hope he knows when to take risks and not play a deep ball to a 1 on 1 when the game doesn't ask for it (3rd downs and with the game at stake). I think this is worse than the fumbles, which I think are easy to correct. 

    - Run Defense: Lynch averaged 123 ypc. He's good, but not that good. 

    - Under zone pass defense: Tight ends and big receivers kills us. At this matches, I expect people like Peppers who play close to the box to stand up at least scaring them out of the middle, but we don't. 

    - Last but not least: We still don't know how to win. We held 3 teams (2 of them with very good offenses) to under 21 points. Now that we score 42, they still outscore us. We cannot lose 14 point leads, play afraid, go for a 2 point conversion when you're ahead in a 1st quater (what was that for?). We need to get games closed, seize the turnovers, don't suffer them and keep grinding. 

    This team is not a 1-2-1 team. A few things here and there, and we would be 4-0 EASILY. It can be frustrating (for me, at this very moment after a L, it is), but let's hope we keep getting better. 

    Go Browns! 

    123ypc, he will bump into Forrest Gump with numbers like that...

  • @nero said:

    OK. It's 2:24 AM, gotta wake up in less than 5 hours, but this game got me angry, so let's use my energy in something useful.

    I liked: 

    - Myles Garrett. When he's not stacking up sacks, he's blocking the run and is a nightmare. 

    - Ward. If you have a corner that Derek Carr and Amari Cooper prefer not to challenge, that's something to cheer about. 

    - Pressure: Overall, Carr was far from comfortable for most of the game. Maybe he didn't get sack as much, but he had many times a lot of pressure and little space. 

    - Ground attack: We're getting better and Chubb shows some promise with those 2 long runs. Hyde is perfect for the 3-4 yard gains. 

    - Baker Mayfield: He is a leader, has a lot of fire and brings a lot of energy, along with some intelligence and maybe a bit of ''it factor''. It's going to be amazing if he keeps improving (which I think he will). 

    I didn't like: 

    - Let's say the easy one first: The refs. I never like to complain about them but they made some wtf calls. 

    - DROPS: Man, we cannot miss those balls. It doesn't help our rookie QB.

    - Both Mayfield 'let's try this one'. Still, he's a rookie so no surprise here. Let's hope he knows when to take risks and not play a deep ball to a 1 on 1 when the game doesn't ask for it (3rd downs and with the game at stake). I think this is worse than the fumbles, which I think are easy to correct. 

    - Run Defense: Lynch averaged 123 ypc. He's good, but not that good. 

    - Under zone pass defense: Tight ends and big receivers kills us. At this matches, I expect people like Peppers who play close to the box to stand up at least scaring them out of the middle, but we don't. 

    - Last but not least: We still don't know how to win. We held 3 teams (2 of them with very good offenses) to under 21 points. Now that we score 42, they still outscore us. We cannot lose 14 point leads, play afraid, go for a 2 point conversion when you're ahead in a 1st quater (what was that for?). We need to get games closed, seize the turnovers, don't suffer them and keep grinding. 

    This team is not a 1-2-1 team. A few things here and there, and we would be 4-0 EASILY. It can be frustrating (for me, at this very moment after a L, it is), but let's hope we keep getting better. 

    Go Browns! 

    123ypc, he will bump into Forrest Gump with numbers like that...

    @londonbrown said:

    123ypc, he will bump into Forrest Gump with numbers like that...

    LOL, but you got it. I was astonished as I kept seeing 8ypc, 7.7 ypc... in 3rd and 4th quater. I checked now on NFL.com... 20 carries for 130 yards, 6.5 average. That's savage. 

  • Schobert wanted no part in tackling Lynch

  • I kept seeing flagrant oline holding by oakland.

    No calls.

    a flagrant block in the back on a return, no call.

    their TE's shove off - no calls.

    Lynch gets mad, kicks the ball downfield - no call.

    how they changed the Browns first down to not a first down- how the hell do you DO that?

    The Browns defensive game plan didn't work - they rarely could get to Carr before he had a wide open outlet pass.

    I don't get that - maybe it's just my fault.

      The Browns receivers drop too many balls. Baker took too many chances.

    The offensive line kept getting run over - bad matchup with our oline and their front seven.

    The Raiders have a whole lot of talent - we had a rookie rb, qb, wr.. and scored a bunch of points.

      A whole lot to build on. 13-2-1 sounds pretty good to me.

    Question - the hit on Njoku - they reversed it to no penalty - but wasn't that "hitting a defenseless receiver" ? or not?

    STATEMENT:

       Chubb sure looked great - he was 3 runs for a freaking 105 yards and TWO touchdowns.

    What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tiamsies?🙄 (yes, I had to fix it...)

  • Not bad for a Spain-ish person... 😉

    Couple premised questions to add to your thoughts...

    • I don't like WRs returning kickoffs. The only thing I like less are DBs returning Kickoffs. I like RBs who secure the ball and know how and when to take a hit. Why isn't Duke returning kickoffs? Or Chubb?
    • Punts? Different matter... I love a speedy WR who is used to catching in traffic fielding punts, BUT (and it's a really big "but") they have to reliably look the ball in and for now that DQ's Callaway. Maybe Steater here... but I would not be adverse to Duke pulling this duty.
    • Cook was perhaps their biggest, pass-game threat going into the game. Was was Peppers not told, "He's yours, son." Start head up on him in the box, in position for run support, or split out with him, but take him out of their attack.

    More later... maybe...

  • I kept seeing flagrant oline holding by oakland.

    No calls.

    a flagrant block in the back on a return, no call.

    their TE's shove off - no calls.

    Lynch gets mad, kicks the ball downfield - no call.

    how they changed the Browns first down to not a first down- how the hell do you DO that?

    The Browns defensive game plan didn't work - they rarely could get to Carr before he had a wide open outlet pass.

    I don't get that - maybe it's just my fault.

      The Browns receivers drop too many balls. Baker took too many chances.

    The offensive line kept getting run over - bad matchup with our oline and their front seven.

    The Raiders have a whole lot of talent - we had a rookie rb, qb, wr.. and scored a bunch of points.

      A whole lot to build on. 13-2-1 sounds pretty good to me.

    Question - the hit on Njoku - they reversed it to no penalty - but wasn't that "hitting a defenseless receiver" ? or not?

    STATEMENT:

       Chubb sure looked great - he was 3 runs for a freaking 105 yards and TWO touchdowns.

    What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tiamsies?🙄 (yes, I had to fix it...)

    @calfoxwc said:

    What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tour?🙄

    I said that about Chubb?

    I know I said it about Crow.

    One of us is confused... and it wasn't me until just now.

    Oh....and the hit on Njoku was legal. It was a good pickup.

    And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

  • Way to long to read.  

    2-32-1. Thats all you need to know

    well unless you’re the Haslems 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tour?🙄

    I said that about Chubb?

    I know I said it about Crow.

    One of us is confused... and it wasn't me until just now.

    Oh....and the hit on Njoku was legal. It was a good pickup.

    And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

    @tour2ma said:

    I said that about Chubb?

    I know I said it about Crow.

    One of us is confused... and it wasn't me until just now.

    Wait, sorry, that was Tiamsies. My bad. lol

  • The Browns HAD that first down - and they would then run out the clock.

    naturally, corrupt ref lightning had to strike.

    NFL apology deja-vu all over again.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I said that about Chubb?

    I know I said it about Crow.

    One of us is confused... and it wasn't me until just now.

    Wait, sorry, that was Tiamsies. My bad. lol

    @calfoxwc said:

    Wait, sorry, that was Tiamsies. My bad. lol

    I accept your apology...

    And here's more of my reply I was editing into my original reply as you quoted my post.

    @tour2ma said:

    Oh....and the hit on Njoku was legal. It was a good pickup.

    And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tour?🙄

    I said that about Chubb?

    I know I said it about Crow.

    One of us is confused... and it wasn't me until just now.

    Oh....and the hit on Njoku was legal. It was a good pickup.

    And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

    @tour2ma said:

    I said that about Chubb?

    I know I said it about Crow.

    One of us is confused...

    I'm glad you cleared that up. 

    And going forward is it a Hyde/Chubb one two punch with Hyde getting a bit more rest throughout the games and season which was what I thought the FO had planned from the start. Duke then becomes more of a passing option and the BROWNS could become a serious ball control and short yardage team in the AFCN....whoa.

    This is still a young bunch and should get stronger ss the season (and opponents) start to wear down,

  • @calfoxwc said:

    What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tour?🙄

    I said that about Chubb?

    I know I said it about Crow.

    One of us is confused... and it wasn't me until just now.

    Oh....and the hit on Njoku was legal. It was a good pickup.

    And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

    @tour2ma said:

    And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

    Then it's his fault for not stretching to the 1st down marker like good backs do when going down close enough to stretch it out.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Wait, sorry, that was Tiamsies. My bad. lol

    I accept your apology...

    And here's more of my reply I was editing into my original reply as you quoted my post.

    @tour2ma said:

    Oh....and the hit on Njoku was legal. It was a good pickup.

    And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

    @tour2ma said:

    I accept your apology...

    And here's more of my reply I was editing into my original reply as you quoted my post.

    Thanks.

    dammit. I feel like going out into the barn and cleaning up the firewood after this game.

  • NJokeWho is scary bad

  • Not bad for a Spain-ish person... 😉

    Couple premised questions to add to your thoughts...

    • I don't like WRs returning kickoffs. The only thing I like less are DBs returning Kickoffs. I like RBs who secure the ball and know how and when to take a hit. Why isn't Duke returning kickoffs? Or Chubb?
    • Punts? Different matter... I love a speedy WR who is used to catching in traffic fielding punts, BUT (and it's a really big "but") they have to reliably look the ball in and for now that DQ's Callaway. Maybe Steater here... but I would not be adverse to Duke pulling this duty.
    • Cook was perhaps their biggest, pass-game threat going into the game. Was was Peppers not told, "He's yours, son." Start head up on him in the box, in position for run support, or split out with him, but take him out of their attack.

    More later... maybe...

    @tour2ma said:

    I don't like WRs returning kickoffs

    Fixed it.

    We end up on our own 12.....or fumble the dam thing.  The Raiders take it at the 25.

    Just wanna say - We saw nothing in the review that meant the call of 1st down should be reversed to 'short of the first down'.   -  Thanks NY ref.  Maybe you should stop watching cartoons when you're supposed to be working!

  • now, two more glaring penalties on #20. Boddy-Calhoun. sp?

    what the )(*&^ is with him and holding? On a fair catch?

    and why wasn't lynch kicking the ball a penalty?

  • I kept seeing flagrant oline holding by oakland.

    No calls.

    a flagrant block in the back on a return, no call.

    their TE's shove off - no calls.

    Lynch gets mad, kicks the ball downfield - no call.

    how they changed the Browns first down to not a first down- how the hell do you DO that?

    The Browns defensive game plan didn't work - they rarely could get to Carr before he had a wide open outlet pass.

    I don't get that - maybe it's just my fault.

      The Browns receivers drop too many balls. Baker took too many chances.

    The offensive line kept getting run over - bad matchup with our oline and their front seven.

    The Raiders have a whole lot of talent - we had a rookie rb, qb, wr.. and scored a bunch of points.

      A whole lot to build on. 13-2-1 sounds pretty good to me.

    Question - the hit on Njoku - they reversed it to no penalty - but wasn't that "hitting a defenseless receiver" ? or not?

    STATEMENT:

       Chubb sure looked great - he was 3 runs for a freaking 105 yards and TWO touchdowns.

    What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tiamsies?🙄 (yes, I had to fix it...)

    @calfoxwc said:

    I kept seeing flagrant oline holding by oakland.

    No calls.

    a flagrant block in the back on a return, no call.

    their TE's shove off - no calls.

    Lynch gets mad, kicks the ball downfield - no call.

    how they changed the Browns first down to not a first down- how the hell do you DO that?

    The Browns defensive game plan didn't work - they rarely could get to Carr before he had a wide open outlet pass.

    I don't get that - maybe it's just my fault.

      The Browns receivers drop too many balls. Baker took too many chances.

    The offensive line kept getting run over - bad matchup with our oline and their front seven.

    The Raiders have a whole lot of talent - we had a rookie rb, qb, wr.. and scored a bunch of points.

      A whole lot to build on. 13-2-1 sounds pretty good to me.

    Question - the hit on Njoku - they reversed it to no penalty - but wasn't that "hitting a defenseless receiver" ? or not?

    STATEMENT:

       Chubb sure looked great - he was 3 runs for a freaking 105 yards and TWO touchdowns.

    What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tiamsies?🙄 (yes, I had to fix it...)

    I shouted penalty as soon as  Marshawn Lynch kicked that ball especially egregious that it wasn't called as the Raiders scored later on that drive. The refs were terrible but  unfortunately we're still not good enough to overcome that yet .

  • yep.

    Question:

    Does ANYBODY think that the refs would ignore that call if it were a BROWNS player kicking the ball?

  • @tour2ma said:

    I said that about Chubb?

    I know I said it about Crow.

    One of us is confused...

    I'm glad you cleared that up. 

    And going forward is it a Hyde/Chubb one two punch with Hyde getting a bit more rest throughout the games and season which was what I thought the FO had planned from the start. Duke then becomes more of a passing option and the BROWNS could become a serious ball control and short yardage team in the AFCN....whoa.

    This is still a young bunch and should get stronger ss the season (and opponents) start to wear down,

    @mjp28 said:

    I'm glad you cleared that up. 

    And going forward is it a Hyde/Chubb one two punch with Hyde getting a bit more rest throughout the games and season which was what I thought the FO had planned from the start. Duke then becomes more of a passing option and the BROWNS could become a serious ball control and short yardage team in the AFCN....whoa.

    This is still a young bunch and should get stronger ss the season (and opponents) start to wear down,

    That's why when they were up 14, they should have run it instead of throwing it, I think that was when Baker got strip sacked.