Skip to content

The official Terry Pluto thread

The Browns Board
1.1k 45 54.0k 1
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    [email protected]

    @westside-steve said:

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-scribbles-a-veteran-some-linemen-and-a-surprise-addition-terry-pluto.html

    Not quite as much Browns coverage from mr. Pluto since baseball season has begun.

    WSS

    Yes Terry Pluto must never stop writing things down......about Cleveland sports. https://connect.cleveland.com/staff/tpluto/posts.html

    I have written to Terry in the past and will write him again when I get my stuff in order again soon and will include Paul Hoynes who covers the Indians and MLB this time. https://connect.cleveland.com/staff/phoynes/posts.html

    I might have some writing time coming up this week....... 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    Terry's take on the whole Cowherd-Whitlock-Bayless (yes, him, too) view controversey...

    Plus a word to "overly optomisitic fans"...

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/how-odell-beckham-brings-the-lebron-james-effect-to-the-browns-terry-pluto.html

  • Terry's take on the whole Cowherd-Whitlock-Bayless (yes, him, too) view controversey...

    Plus a word to "overly optomisitic fans"...

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/how-odell-beckham-brings-the-lebron-james-effect-to-the-browns-terry-pluto.html

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Terry's take on the whole Cowherd-Whitlock-Bayless (yes, him, too) view controversey...

    Plus a word to "overly optomisitic fans"...

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/how-odell-beckham-brings-the-lebron-james-effect-to-the-browns-terry-pluto.html

    Over-optimism worries the shit out of me.

    WSS

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike

    Thanks Steve. I believe the "poor tackling" is largely a coaching issue. This hard, body block tackling may have resulted in more turnovers, but also (IMO) a LOT of missed tackles, longer gains, & extended drives against us. I would rather see solid tackling that results in more "3 & outs".

    The talent is there. I am anxious to see what different utilization of that talent brings plus I want another solid LB.

    Mike

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-scribbles-a-veteran-some-linemen-and-a-surprise-addition-terry-pluto.html

    Not quite as much Browns coverage from mr. Pluto since baseball season has begun.

    WSS

    Baseball- now instead of the "National Past time" just passes time until football starts- and it starts the end of the month with the draft. 

  • @westside-steve said:

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-scribbles-a-veteran-some-linemen-and-a-surprise-addition-terry-pluto.html

    Not quite as much Browns coverage from mr. Pluto since baseball season has begun.

    WSS

    Baseball- now instead of the "National Past time" just passes time until football starts- and it starts the end of the month with the draft. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Baseball- now instead of the "National Past time" just passes time until football starts- and it starts the end of the month with the draft. 

    It starts a week from this coming Thursday night! Yippee!?

  • @westside-steve said:

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-scribbles-a-veteran-some-linemen-and-a-surprise-addition-terry-pluto.html

    Not quite as much Browns coverage from mr. Pluto since baseball season has begun.

    WSS

    Baseball- now instead of the "National Past time" just passes time until football starts- and it starts the end of the month with the draft. 

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve

    @hoorta said:

    Baseball- now instead of the "National Past time" just passes time until football starts- and it starts the end of the month with the draft. 

    Yes, plus as much as I love Terrys writing on just about every sport he is the Undisputed king of baseball writers in my opinion.

    WSS

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    ...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

    We're used to having multiple 1st round picks....one of em' being top 3.   

    ....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

    ...it's just plain weird...

  • ...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

    We're used to having multiple 1st round picks....one of em' being top 3.   

    ....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

    ...it's just plain weird...

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    ...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

    We're used to having multiple 1st round picks....one of em' being top 3.   

    ....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

    ...it's just plain weird...

    Hah, I was going to say news flash! Dorsey has traded up to pick #22 in the first round!! Except that pick is currently held by the Ravens. 

  • @orion said:

    ...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

    We're used to having multiple 1st round picks....one of em' being top 3.   

    ....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

    ...it's just plain weird...

    Hah, I was going to say news flash! Dorsey has traded up to pick #22 in the first round!! Except that pick is currently held by the Ravens. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Hah, I was going to say news flash! Dorsey has traded up to pick #22 in the first round!! Except that pick is currently held by the Ravens. 

    What makes it worth watching is the fact that Dorsey just might trade up into the 1st. Keep an eye out if White has not gone 1-7.

  • ...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

    We're used to having multiple 1st round picks....one of em' being top 3.   

    ....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

    ...it's just plain weird...

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    ...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

    We're used to having multiple 1st round picks....one of em' being top 3.   

    ....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

    ...it's just plain weird...

    I mean, Browns fans are more excited about the schedule coming out tonight than the Draft next week.

    Reminds me of 2008. ??

  • @orion said:

    ...it's just plain weird...it's mid April.....and the draft is so, ho-hum.  On draft night we can take the wife out to dinner and a movie.  (in theory)

    We're used to having multiple 1st round picks....one of em' being top 3.   

    ....and I'll say,  "I want the tallest QB with the best mechanics."   And somebody else would say, "So long as we don't take one with pick 22.  It's cursed."

    ...it's just plain weird...

    I mean, Browns fans are more excited about the schedule coming out tonight than the Draft next week.

    Reminds me of 2008. ??

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Reminds me of 2008. 

    Not me. 

    I knew we were gonna suck after the 10-6 season.  I told people,  "We don't have a QB!   Derick Anderson sucks!  He can throw it 70 yards but he can't complete a 5 yard crossing pattern on 3rd down."

    THIS time we HAVE a QB.  (and much more)  THIS time it's a totally different feeling.......for ME anyway.   THIS  time I'm telling people, "Yup, we're good on paper.  We just gotta make sure that those pieces of paper do it on the actual football field."  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Reminds me of 2008. 

    Not me. 

    I knew we were gonna suck after the 10-6 season.  I told people,  "We don't have a QB!   Derick Anderson sucks!  He can throw it 70 yards but he can't complete a 5 yard crossing pattern on 3rd down."

    THIS time we HAVE a QB.  (and much more)  THIS time it's a totally different feeling.......for ME anyway.   THIS  time I'm telling people, "Yup, we're good on paper.  We just gotta make sure that those pieces of paper do it on the actual football field."  

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    Not me. 

    I knew we were gonna suck after the 10-6 season.  I told people,  "We don't have a QB!   Derick Anderson sucks!  He can throw it 70 yards but he can't complete a 5 yard crossing pattern on 3rd down."

    THIS time we HAVE a QB.  (and much more)  THIS time it's a totally different feeling.......for ME anyway.   THIS  time I'm telling people, "Yup, we're good on paper.  We just gotta make sure that those pieces of paper do it on the actual football field."  

    Right on the money! 2007 was an absolute FLUKE! I could never understand the DA hype....Strong arm, NO touch.

    We now have a REAL QB and surrounding talent. What needs to happen now is for all this talent to gel as a UNIT. To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows? Stay tuned folks as it's gonna be fun watching this Team grow.

    Mike

  • @orion said:

    Not me. 

    I knew we were gonna suck after the 10-6 season.  I told people,  "We don't have a QB!   Derick Anderson sucks!  He can throw it 70 yards but he can't complete a 5 yard crossing pattern on 3rd down."

    THIS time we HAVE a QB.  (and much more)  THIS time it's a totally different feeling.......for ME anyway.   THIS  time I'm telling people, "Yup, we're good on paper.  We just gotta make sure that those pieces of paper do it on the actual football field."  

    Right on the money! 2007 was an absolute FLUKE! I could never understand the DA hype....Strong arm, NO touch.

    We now have a REAL QB and surrounding talent. What needs to happen now is for all this talent to gel as a UNIT. To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows? Stay tuned folks as it's gonna be fun watching this Team grow.

    Mike

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

     I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows? Stay tuned folks as it's gonna be fun watching this Team grow.

    Mike

    I think we see it happening by the dress rehearsal game in pre-season and hit the ground flying in week 1.

  • @canton-mike said:

     I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows? Stay tuned folks as it's gonna be fun watching this Team grow.

    Mike

    I think we see it happening by the dress rehearsal game in pre-season and hit the ground flying in week 1.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    I think we see it happening by the dress rehearsal game in pre-season and hit the ground flying in week 1.

    "Hit the ground" and "flying" are not a good mix... just ask Boeing... ?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I think we see it happening by the dress rehearsal game in pre-season and hit the ground flying in week 1.

    "Hit the ground" and "flying" are not a good mix... just ask Boeing... ?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    "Hit the ground" and "flying" are not a good mix... just ask Boeing... ?

    Airmobile!?

  • @orion said:

    Not me. 

    I knew we were gonna suck after the 10-6 season.  I told people,  "We don't have a QB!   Derick Anderson sucks!  He can throw it 70 yards but he can't complete a 5 yard crossing pattern on 3rd down."

    THIS time we HAVE a QB.  (and much more)  THIS time it's a totally different feeling.......for ME anyway.   THIS  time I'm telling people, "Yup, we're good on paper.  We just gotta make sure that those pieces of paper do it on the actual football field."  

    Right on the money! 2007 was an absolute FLUKE! I could never understand the DA hype....Strong arm, NO touch.

    We now have a REAL QB and surrounding talent. What needs to happen now is for all this talent to gel as a UNIT. To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows? Stay tuned folks as it's gonna be fun watching this Team grow.

    Mike

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows?

    I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

  • @canton-mike said:

    To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows?

    I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

    Yep. We DO have outstanding Coordinators & position Coaches, especially Campen on the OL & that will help a lot. My biggest concern is at LB. Also, that early Bye Week may actually help to give us a little time to work on little "bugs" that may pop up. I'm hoping that we should be in pretty good shape by the Bye Week (if not before).

    It also helps having players that fit what Dorsey wants, smart & passionate.....I'll call 'em "WII" players...Winners who are Intelligent & Intense.

    Mike