The official Terry Pluto thread
-
-
-
... another NFL executive told me that not a lot is changing in terms of Dorsey’s role.
Clearly Terry spoke to one too many NFL Execs...
-
Or at least the wrong one
WSS
Oh what a trustworthy bunch, execs protecting their turf when it comes to coaching, secrets, draft picks, injury reports, etc, etc, etc......
All graduates of the Bill Belichick School of football business management.

-
Terry Pluto. Today 5:01 AM. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/cleveland-browns-coaching-search-has-me-talking-to-myself-3-guys-from-49ers.html
.....For what it’s worth, here’s what Shanahan told the Bay Area media: “I don’t think any of those people (he clashed with) are there anymore. I’m pumped for Saleh to get this opportunity. Mr. and Mrs. Haslam are great people and I think they’re great people to work for. We’ll see how the interview goes for him.”......
-
Terry isn't real confident about Haslam's new plan of attack.
-
Oh brother ! This just seems so deja vu here we go again. Do we just wait until it's all over and see what happens next?
As I’ve written before, I have “Firing Fatigue.” I bet that’s true of many Browns fans.
......No kidding.
-
Oh brother ! This just seems so deja vu here we go again. Do we just wait until it's all over and see what happens next?
As I’ve written before, I have “Firing Fatigue.” I bet that’s true of many Browns fans.
......No kidding.
Oh brother ! This just seems so deja vu here we go again. Do we just wait until it's all over and see what happens next?
As I’ve written before, I have “Firing Fatigue.” I bet that’s true of many Browns fans.
......No kidding.
If you were born from January 1969 on you've never seen the Pittsburgh Steelers fire a head coach. 51+ years.
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
I'm. Fucking. Exhausted.
-
Oh brother ! This just seems so deja vu here we go again. Do we just wait until it's all over and see what happens next?
As I’ve written before, I have “Firing Fatigue.” I bet that’s true of many Browns fans.
......No kidding.
If you were born from January 1969 on you've never seen the Pittsburgh Steelers fire a head coach. 51+ years.
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
I'm. Fucking. Exhausted.
If you were born from January 1969 on you've never seen the Pittsburgh Steelers fire a head coach. 51+ years.
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
I'm. Fucking. Exhausted.
January 1969 I was finishing year 1 in college, on January 12 Joe Willie Namath beat the Colts in SB III who demolished the BROWNS earlier. MNF wasn't even here until 1970 at the Ol' Muni and the loyal BROWNS faithful we're still flying high.
Fast forward 51+ years and the loyal BROWNS faithful are still flying high......and patiently still waiting and waiting.
-
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
........Not ONE of those guys had successful HC experience BEFORE we hired them or AFTER we fired them, yet the Browns are still barkin' up the same tree!
To quote an old folk song....."When will they ever learn?"
Mike
-
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
........Not ONE of those guys had successful HC experience BEFORE we hired them or AFTER we fired them, yet the Browns are still barkin' up the same tree!
To quote an old folk song....."When will they ever learn?"
Mike
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
........Not ONE of those guys had successful HC experience BEFORE we hired them or AFTER we fired them, yet the Browns are still barkin' up the same tree!
To quote an old folk song....."When will they ever learn?"
Mike
Yeah let's try something "new" like hiring someone new......again.
Or maybe coaches with decent experience don't want any part of the post 1999 "new Browns". That might not be a good thing.

-
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
........Not ONE of those guys had successful HC experience BEFORE we hired them or AFTER we fired them, yet the Browns are still barkin' up the same tree!
To quote an old folk song....."When will they ever learn?"
Mike
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
........Not ONE of those guys had successful HC experience BEFORE we hired them or AFTER we fired them, yet the Browns are still barkin' up the same tree!
To quote an old folk song....."When will they ever learn?"
Mike
What was Mangini's record with the Jets? I know that Jackson was 8-8 with the Raiders.....a team that seemingly overachieved to attain that record. It is certainly hard to judge.
Take the hiring of Mike Holmgren.....successful as HC at GB....and as HC at Seattle...and fair success as GM at Seattle. We figured we would bring him in here and he could work some of his magic. And we know how that all turned out.
So, past success as we have seen does not guarantee future success. Nor, as we have seen does past failure guarantee future failure We have also seen that neither having past HC experience......nor NOT having past HC experience has helped.
So...it seems, there is NO formula for getting this right. I mean, what then is one to do, other than to try to find the right people regardless of past credentials, I guess.
-
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
........Not ONE of those guys had successful HC experience BEFORE we hired them or AFTER we fired them, yet the Browns are still barkin' up the same tree!
To quote an old folk song....."When will they ever learn?"
Mike
What was Mangini's record with the Jets? I know that Jackson was 8-8 with the Raiders.....a team that seemingly overachieved to attain that record. It is certainly hard to judge.
Take the hiring of Mike Holmgren.....successful as HC at GB....and as HC at Seattle...and fair success as GM at Seattle. We figured we would bring him in here and he could work some of his magic. And we know how that all turned out.
So, past success as we have seen does not guarantee future success. Nor, as we have seen does past failure guarantee future failure We have also seen that neither having past HC experience......nor NOT having past HC experience has helped.
So...it seems, there is NO formula for getting this right. I mean, what then is one to do, other than to try to find the right people regardless of past credentials, I guess.
What was Mangini's record with the Jets? I know that Jackson was 8-8 with the Raiders.....a team that seemingly overachieved to attain that record. It is certainly hard to judge.
Take the hiring of Mike Holmgren.....successful as HC at GB....and as HC at Seattle...and fair success as GM at Seattle. We figured we would bring him in here and he could work some of his magic. And we know how that all turned out.
So, past success as we have seen does not guarantee future success. Nor, as we have seen does past failure guarantee future failure We have also seen that neither having past HC experience......nor NOT having past HC experience has helped.
So...it seems, there is NO formula for getting this right. I mean, what then is one to do, other than to try to find the right people regardless of past credentials, I guess.
There are no guarantees but if I am playing the odds and going for the safest bet I would go with past proven successful NFL head coaches certainly over those who were past failures or the coordinators who have never been a HC.
-
Just a few hours ago. By the way as to previous comment I was okay with giving Mancini another term.
WSS
-
What was Mangini's record with the Jets? I know that Jackson was 8-8 with the Raiders.....a team that seemingly overachieved to attain that record. It is certainly hard to judge.
Take the hiring of Mike Holmgren.....successful as HC at GB....and as HC at Seattle...and fair success as GM at Seattle. We figured we would bring him in here and he could work some of his magic. And we know how that all turned out.
So, past success as we have seen does not guarantee future success. Nor, as we have seen does past failure guarantee future failure We have also seen that neither having past HC experience......nor NOT having past HC experience has helped.
So...it seems, there is NO formula for getting this right. I mean, what then is one to do, other than to try to find the right people regardless of past credentials, I guess.
There are no guarantees but if I am playing the odds and going for the safest bet I would go with past proven successful NFL head coaches certainly over those who were past failures or the coordinators who have never been a HC.
There are no guarantees but if I am playing the odds and going for the safest bet I would go with past proven successful NFL head coaches certainly over those who were past failures or the coordinators who have never been a HC.
That seems a reasonable approach. It has certainly not been a universally successful approach....but it seems reasonable.
-
Just a few hours ago. By the way as to previous comment I was okay with giving Mancini another term.
WSS
Just a few hours ago. By the way as to previous comment I was okay with giving Mancini another term.
WSS
Henry....or Ray "Boom Bomm?
-
Just a few hours ago. By the way as to previous comment I was okay with giving Mancini another term.
WSS
Henry....or Ray "Boom Bomm?
Henry....or Ray "Boom Bomm?
Typo
-
Henry....or Ray "Boom Bomm?
Typo
Typo
I know but it gave me the chance to mention those two Northeast Ohio area personalities
-
Oh brother ! This just seems so deja vu here we go again. Do we just wait until it's all over and see what happens next?
As I’ve written before, I have “Firing Fatigue.” I bet that’s true of many Browns fans.
......No kidding.
If you were born from January 1969 on you've never seen the Pittsburgh Steelers fire a head coach. 51+ years.
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
I'm. Fucking. Exhausted.
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
Looking at the list for "Leaders" I see only one... Butch... with two possible, Honorable Mentions, Mangini and Pet, albeit in an entirely different, quieter "style" on their part. The rest were all the Hot Coordinator du jour except for Hue who was the HC weasel du siecle.
Butch seemed to have the presence, the personality, the command.... his self-inflicted misfortune was he also had the GM role.
-
Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens. All fired in the last 20 years.
Looking at the list for "Leaders" I see only one... Butch... with two possible, Honorable Mentions, Mangini and Pet, albeit in an entirely different, quieter "style" on their part. The rest were all the Hot Coordinator du jour except for Hue who was the HC weasel du siecle.
Butch seemed to have the presence, the personality, the command.... his self-inflicted misfortune was he also had the GM role.
Looking at the list for "Leaders" I see only one... Butch... with two possible, Honorable Mentions, Mangini and Pet, albeit in an entirely different, quieter "style" on their part. The rest were all the Hot Coordinator du jour except for Hue who was the HC weasel du siecle.
Butch seemed to have the presence, the personality, the command.... his self-inflicted misfortune was he also had the GM role.
Leaders, for another generalization who since the 1980s has got them near or into the playoffs? Not many since Billy B.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login